Mech Crawler - cardboard based model (COMPLETE: 7/6/2012)

AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
edited August 2012 in Off-Topic Discussions
Updated: 7/6/2012

After many many many hours spread across about a week I have completed phase 1, 2, & 3 of crafting a real life mech crawler cardboard model.
Building this took a lot longer than I thought it would, especially to cutting out and gluing together every piece...

Phase 1 Cardboard base structure (with fancy flush popsicle stick inlays in the leg connections to the body to help hold the weight, which made it pretty strong):
IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4246.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG IMG_4278.JPG

Phase 2: Paper mache (tried painting first without paper mache and there were just too many holes in the cardboard that I could not cover up with the paint). Paper macheing the legs/feet was such a pain (small tight curves are not fun).
IMG_4316.JPG IMG_4360.JPG

Phase 3: Base paint (several coats).
IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4365.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4369.JPG

Phase 4: Final Paint job.
IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4397.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG IMG_4422.JPG
Lime green beam lens per my wife's request.

Thanks to those of you that provided some helpful tips on painting techniques and the encouraging words.

bonus image so you can see the scale of the model a bit better: :D
IMG_4408.JPG

Comments

• GigaDagerGigaDager Posts: 1,648
    Well, ****.
    GDSigBar.png
    Arkham wrote:
    I, by contrast, would elect to throw a wall against the game.
    Gigadager because for some reason, he can make nothing seem like the best thing in the world
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    Looks **** cool so far. I can't wait to see the end result :)
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Am I to believe that you cut out each of those pieces by hand? That is dedication. It looks good! A really good job..
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Wow..**** dude, this is gonna look cool when it's done, I can tell already. Are you going to cover the cardboard with posterboard before painting it, or just lay on some white base and then paint?
    ItfooQF.png
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    so are you like a sentient 3d printer or something??

lol, j/k. Nice job. I want to see it finished.
    cxNEL.png
  • AttackGorillaAttackGorilla Posts: 1,656
    edited June 2012
    Yes, because I can't bring myself to spend money on a 3d printer yet I am indeed a sentient 3d printer. Yes, I cut every piece with scissors by hand, which took a long time and gave me a good sore spot on my hand. I was debating between covering the model with paper mache to smooth it out or just straight painting it with a white base as it is. I think I will cover it with a white base paint and see how it looks at that point before paper mache (I am also worried that direct application of the paper mache might soften and destroy some of the cardboard structure, which hopefully the white base paint won’t do and will protect against).

I had tossed around the idea of going to kickstarter to raise funds to acquire a 3D printer, but I don't know. I will see... (TL the arpg boardgame anyone? j/k, would need Runic consent before doing so.)
    Using Popsicle sticks as supports in the legs was genius, just saying. From the picture it looks like it would otherwise be physically impossible, but cardboard is light enough. I hope your hand gets better soon. Did you plan this all using drawings beforehand, or are you improvising as you go along? Either way, it's impressive.
    cxNEL.png
  • WitchlampWitchlamp Posts: 470
    I had tossed around the idea of going to kickstarter to raise funds to acquire a 3D printer, but I don't know. I will see... (TL the arpg boardgame anyone? j/k, would need Runic consent before doing so.)

I am a board game fiend, and I'd love to play something like that. I've got a whole day devoted to the Game of Thrones board game in two weeks ß)
    WotWWitchlamp.jpg
    Yeah I think the cardboard would have held ok if the model set on a shelf, but now I can actually press down on it pretty hard and it takes the weight. I cut each piece out of a paper template first using http://www.123dapp.com/make by import/export through Blender and then into Autodesk 123D Make (so I had a lot of help in the plans - doing the model without these programs would have been ridiculously hard). So yes, anyone can create these models if you want to spend the time doing so and have some cardboard handy.
    TL boardgame? Get together with DarkTails to make you figures for it; I'd actually love to see Runic do that eventually if they ever get the opportunity :lol:

The reason why it interests me is because it is now summer, I live in the city... blackouts. :(
    cxNEL.png
    Updated the top/first post with progress thus far. Check it out and feedback is much appreciated.
  • VasshpitVasshpit Posts: 205
    VERY, very cool Attack! :D

As far as painting tips go, most hardware store or something like a hobby lobby store carry a vast assortment of cool, textured and metallic spray paints.

You will definitely want to put a coat of primer across your piece 1st. Then get some tape and mask off sections you want to paint at a time. This will give you nice clean edges.

One useful tip when using rattle can paints, spray across a section in short controlled bursts. Also don't be afraid to do 2-3 light coats instead of one heavy coat. This will pay off in the end. ;)

Again, very cool piece. I have never done any kind of paper mache of cardboard sculpture, only clay (sculpy).
    Learn as if you were going to live forever; Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Primer > flat basecoat > flat colors of the different sections > darkest shades > mid tones > highlights > sealer

Repeat the shade/midtone/highlights until you're happy

That's a standard process, it's one of those things that you just have to do to get better at. Good luck if you're painting by hand with brushes or sponges lol I would do it that way though to drybrush the **** out of it and make that rough surface pop

Things to keep in mind:
    -some paint will eat away at your project, sometimes it's a good idea to coat it with sealer before starting the painting process
    -if you haven't painted before, it's probably gonna **** lol, keep at it
  • hawknhawkn Posts: 8,348
    ****. Now I want to make one lol.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Runic Games Fansite My Deviant
    Friggin' awesome! Make me one for Christmas! lol :P
    Sig.png
    Thanks for all the positive feedback and painting recommendations. I am trying to get by with spending nothing making this; I am trying to only use scrap and supplies I already have. I will be trying to implement your suggestions best I can (thanks for the tips) though I have no spray paint on hand so I will have to give DarkTails method a shot (DarkTail's paint jobs are pretty awesome so it will be hard to match that awesomeness).
  • JBeckJBeck Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭
    AttackGorilla,
    This makes me smile.
    Looks awesome.
    Time and resources are realities that force tough decisions regarding our desires. - BECK
  • tigerforttigerfort Posts: 34
    Shiny. Looking forward to seeing the final painted outcome!
  • zamalekzamalek Posts: 254
    You need to get some pew pew incorporated somehow.

Good work man!
    "The best defence is to turn your opponent's swarm of zombie minions into a swarm of unicorn minions."
    Yeah, to echo DT, there are some really awesome effects you can get with dry brushing. Try to look up some guides to painting models online, like WH40k.

Also, I know you don't want to spend money, but spray paint would make certain parts much easier lol.
    ...I most certainly am not the meanest person on these forums, I defer that position to hawkn. ~ AMB2010
    I7OBI.png
    Original post updated with all the progress, please go there for the details. Yes, I am calling it complete at this point (perhaps I will update it if I ever come across a nice lens, or something that looks like a lens, to put on the beam lens cover rather than just paint). Thanks again to everyone.

IMG_4422.JPG
    I dig it. Excellent work! :)
    Sig.png
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Haha, looks like a statue you'd find decorating The Museum of Ember Arts. "Shown here in a stone carving because we've never been able to recover one intact due to having to destroy them before they us, these Sentries are a major annoyance to ember researchers by hindering their progress through ancient Dwarven ruins"

If you ever want to give it more color, just find some clear paint and give it a coat. (clear yellow to give it a golden appearance)

Painting clear colors over silver gives that color a metallic effect.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    DarkTails wrote:
    Haha, looks like a statue you'd find decorating The Museum of Ember Arts. "Shown here in a stone carving because we've never been able to recover one intact due to having to destroy them before they us, these Sentries are a major annoyance to ember researchers by hindering their progress through ancient Dwarven ruins"

Between the pic, that description and this awesome sciency-looking pic. That came out so freaking awesome man. Seriously. it's making me want to try making something
    IMG_4408.JPG
    This thread rocks. Great job, AG...btw, I can totally see that pic of you done up 70's sci-fi novel illustration style.
    ItfooQF.png
    That is BOSS!
    cxNEL.png
    **** who is the ravagingly **** man in the pic? :lol:
    Seriously though, it's cool
    I7OBI.png
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Attack,

This looks amazing. I suggest finding a place in that lens for this: http://officialglofx.com/product/lasers/green-laser/
  • CamerooCameroo Posts: 239
    Wow, that came out really nicely. :) Well done!
    "Space is invisible mind dust and stars are but wishes!"
  • NyroNyro Posts: 142
    Lol...this made my day....i shall now steal my fiancee's arts and crafts paints and create random things. Thanks for the inspiration.
    2sbslt3.jpg
    Rusty wrote:
    This looks amazing. I suggest finding a place in that lens for this: http://officialglofx.com/product/lasers/green-laser/
    I thought about putting some glowing LED functionality in it while I was building it, but I realized I should have done so a little too late in the process. I would need an internal chamber to house batteries and the electronics. Pulling it apart at this point to carve a hole in the middle and add accessibility to swap out batteries would not be a simple task now that it is a large mass of paper, paint, and glue. :(

I could carve out the eye laser socket and set it all inside and cover the eye with a lens, but I need to think of some easy way to carve through this thick cardboard now....hmmm... a knife might "cut" it but I don't want to destroy the model in the process... any ideas?