Alchemist skills questions.

SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
edited June 2012 in Alchemist Discussions
Hi everybody.
I was always playing Vanquisher (probably the easiest charcter right?), and now i want to try The Alchemist on magic (not summonings). So here are my questions:
Is Amber Bolt worth anything later on ? (it's damage seems to be sooo low due to other skills).
Which skill is the best in ranged attack (Lance, Lightning or Strike)? Currently i am using Lightning but i am only lvl 20 for now.
Deos Critical Strike affect Alchemist skill Damage and Chance?
And is 2 INT - 3 DEF build a good one for hard level (I was playing 1/1 DEX/DEF on Vanquisher and on VH i died a bit too much in last few dungeon levels)?
steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2

Comments

• gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    Ember bolt is the first skill you get, right? The poison one?

It ****. Just my opinion.
    cxNEL.png
  • TheBatototTheBatotot Posts: 31
    Ember Bolt is great for keeping melee monsters in check, it has great knockback effect, but it can easily be replaced with Terror or warping with Ember Phase.

Iceshock is a great skill but only at low levels as it can easily be spammed, later on it becomes useless.

Ember Lance is great in dealing mobs of monsters because it has piercing effect but you need to have a good mana pool and regeration to make up for the quick drain.

Ember Lightning IMO is the skill with the greatest efficiency, it is very fast, it will immediately deal damage upon casting, unlike other skills that requires travel time or delays, it is also 1 of 2 skills of the alchemist that ignores wall and cliff blocking, as long as the target can be reached by your mouse, even if you are 10 storeys above it, it will hit, this is very useful for sniping, mana cost isn't that high so you can spam a lot with a before refreshing your pool, it will often knockback monsters off a cliff, the only downside of this skill is that it will only hit 2 at a time, where the secondary target will only receive a percentage of the damage.

Pyre... is plain useless, the added DPS of this skill is so low later on in the game that it is not worth casting before engaging the enemies.

Ember Strike is a great skill that hits hard with a huge AOE, it is the 2nd skill of the alchemist that ignores wall and cliff blocking, downside is that it consumes a shitload of mana, this skill is not worth leveling up, just 1 point here will be enough, the damage increase in not that big, the only BIG difference is the mana consumption, having a high mastery of Spellcasting ensures that you'll have enough mana to cast this skill for a number of times, monsters will die anyway from just 2-5 shots.

And yes critical chance affects your spells, and if you're going for a pure magic alchemist, you better focus on looking for equipments which adds to your Critical Damage, not critical chance but the critical damage itself.
  • SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
    TheBatotot wrote:
    And yes critical chance affects your spells, and if you're going for a pure magic alchemist, you better focus on looking for equipments which adds to your Critical Damage, not critical chance but the critical damage itself.

Ok thanx a lot ;)
    P.S> Ember shield is a must right?
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
    Skladzien wrote:
    P.S> Ember shield is a must right?

if you're planning on skipping your summoning spells, Ember Shield is a must, but don't rely on it too much, the damage that can be absorbed by ember shield is not that big so if you're getting hit, immediately phase out or spam terror, and also remember that it will only block physical type attacks which is not really the main cause of death in VH, the only serious threat in torchlight in my opinion are the Zealots and their Lightning, it has very long range and it hits very hard, better buff up on lightning resists before venturing into black palace and shadow vault
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    TheBatotot wrote:
    .....And yes critical chance affects your spells, and if you're going for a pure magic alchemist, you better focus on looking for equipments which adds to your Critical Damage, not critical chance but the critical damage itself.

critical chance too!! critical damage is not much use if it dosent crit at all right?
    zekrom wrote:
    critical chance too!! critical damage is not much use if it dosent crit at all right?

critical chance can easily be increased with chaos gems and lucky fish tooth, but critical damage can only be increased by item effect, that's why i said that he should look for "equipments" with Critical Damage Increase, i think it is already a given that critical chance should be increased