Forums here and forums there

SabotenderSabotender Posts: 99
edited August 2009 in General Modding
A suggestion...
This will require alot of work between Runic and Webbstre but..
How about moving all the Torchlight Mod discussions over to RGF and make that the official Mod site?
and then keeping this forum as SP and MMO only (likewise RGF should move its SP and MMO sections over here)

Its just that both forums are equally active, and most (if not all) of the TL developers use both forums just as much as us fans do.
and well... things are starting to pile up a little and many things are posted on both forums and very often i see people quoting people from the other forum.

This is just a suggestion, so please discuss this, is it a good idea? or a bad one?

Pros is that we will no have any more double posts (well.. considerably less at least) and we will be able to categorize the forums a little better (this forum could have Classes/Dungeons/Items/Quests etc, while RGF would have Assets/Quests/Storys/Characters etc)
Cons is that it will take a short while getting things moved back and forth, and also people will need a clear indication that there are in fact two forums (simply solved by having 2 forum links on torchlightgame.com (forums & devforums))
Sushi Helm Visual Fix - Forum - Download
My Portfolio

Comments

• JaknetJaknet Posts: 191
    edited August 2009
    My thoughts against this, is that it forces people to have no choice in the community/forum they choose to hang about/lurk in.

Not everyone gets on with everyone else, so I feel it's an advantage having separate sites.

Not only that it also saves any one site being "The only place" to get/share info. The thought of say, one site having a server power cut and suddenly no-one can access any info regards parts of the game does not seem like a wise idea.

Yes there are advantages in that it saves duplication of info, but I feel in this case duplication is actually a very good thing.

Don't forget that there are 3 Runic sites with possibly a forth on the way. Not just here and RGF.. ;)

Edit... missing "not" giving totally wrong impression of meaning
    Nostalgia... Isn't what it used to be.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the good thoughts, but it wouldn't be fair to Insider ;)

And yeah, if one site crashes, then everyone's work is lost. I'd rather have multiple sites as backup.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • to be honest i never actually thought of the possibility of a server crash.. it just slipped my mind when writing that post :P

the thing that made me think of this is really cause the developers are so active at RGF, and when im writing on a post somewhere and im refering to someone or another post, i have to stop and think of which forum it was on :P
    My point was just that it would have been easier to keep things organized if SP and Mods were separate.

But then again, when the TL MMO is near to release, it could quite possibly get its own forum. Since there will be a lot more users and fans by then, it would be wise to have SP and MP separate.
    (just imagine the noobs to the MMO reading the wrong section and going "wat, h0t du i instal mods 2 my game? i want uber loot to pwn my guild" )
    My Portfolio
    I bet they will have different forums here for the Single Player and the MMO... the MMO will probably need some epic-sized boards like the Mythos days. RGF will keep everything in one place though 8-)
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    The Runic Games forums are probably gonna be for every Runic games game. The SP version doesn't really need a forum of it's own, but the MMO does since its scale is far larger.
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    I disagree with this.

Neither of the largest fansites is directly centered on Torchlight alone. I believe if the posts were to go anywhere, they should be to Runic's official Torchlight forums (if they ever were to exist). I think that moving these posts would further alienate other fan-sites, consumers, and users of this forum.

Then again (despite understanding Runic's lacks of the resources), I've personally been against Runic's decision not to have their own central for Torchlight mods and etc. I think it saturates their product. I'm curious if there will be a lot of support (Runic Games recognizing significant and creative modifications) through their Torchlight website.
    hereo.png
    Personally, I would have liked it if Runic had been able to pull off a Sporepedia-type thing... but let's be honest, EA spoiled us with that thing, and it's unrealistic to expect that kind of system from everywhere. Besides, working on enhancing RGF with new stuff is almost as fun as playing games, so I am not too upset about it. Also, the devs hang out everywhere the fans gather, and can help us out if we have questions, so as long as someone is gathering the answers to those questions from all over to one place, it shouldn't be too much trouble for everyone. With any other company I doubt it would work out so well, since most game developers tend to stand on a foot-stool and look down on you.
    Xander wrote:
    Neither of the largest fansites is directly centered on Torchlight alone.
    Just curious, is this because both RGF and Insider are general Runic sites, and not Single Player Torchlight Specific, or is there some other meaning I'm missing?
  • XanderXander Posts: 410
    Webbstre wrote:
    Personally, I would have liked it if Runic had been able to pull off a Sporepedia-type thing... but let's be honest, EA spoiled us with that thing, and it's unrealistic to expect that kind of system from everywhere. Besides, working on enhancing RGF with new stuff is almost as fun as playing games, so I am not too upset about it. Also, the devs hang out everywhere the fans gather, and can help us out if we have questions, so as long as someone is gathering the answers to those questions from all over to one place, it shouldn't be too much trouble for everyone. With any other company I doubt it would work out so well, since most game developers tend to stand on a foot-stool and look down on you.
    Xander wrote:
    Neither of the largest fansites is directly centered on Torchlight alone.
    Just curious, is this because both RGF and Insider are general Runic sites, and not Single Player Torchlight Specific, or is there some other meaning I'm missing?

Well, I'm just saying it might confuse potential consumers. It's not that your site and Insider don't offer up the utmost in information on Torchlight (both MMO and Singleplayer), in fact the sites are some of the kindest and well done fan-centrals I've seen. It's just that Runic could nudge users towards places to find the mods within a dedicated Torchlight (SP version) source so as to not confuse people looking to expand their gameplay. Hopefully the MMO will feature a different, but linked title so that people don't get too confuzzled as it is.

World of Torchlight anyone?

That's not to say that a broader Runic site won't work, in fact I believe that's what will happen; However, I just believe it would make more sense to consumers if a site was dedicated to Torchlight (SP) mods.

Runic Games Fansite and Insider have an advantage in a broader title because they can therefore have a lot of coverage in all of Runic's endevors, but at the same time Googling "Torchlight Mods" and finding "Torchlight Mod Central.com"(or whatever) would probably be easier on players because they know what they're getting from the get-go.
    hereo.png
  • As far as a sporepedia goes, that would be neato, but remember our modding isn't at all like spore. In that game, everyone made creatures, and it was really fun and easy, but it was also pretty limiting. In Torchlight you'll have the freedom to import any creature you want, but making them will take a lot more time and skill. It's really better to compare torchlight modding to halflife modding than to spore, it's powerful and not too hard to learn, but it's also not for every single user.

We'll have a lot fewer mod than spore has creatures, and the best modders will stand out. I think you'll be able to find what you're looking for, we can definately help by linking from our site.
  • JaknetJaknet Posts: 191
    Volbard wrote:
    , we can definately help by linking from our site.

That would be the next best alternative as you cannot host them all. Being able to at least find an overall list linking to where the mod is hosted would be amazing.
    Nostalgia... Isn't what it used to be.
  • has everyone here seen the modelviewer on wowhead.com? i think that would be great for viewing 3D assets for Torchlight.
    In-browser 3D viewers are always a nice touch :)
    My Portfolio