Vanquisher spells question

DetraDetra Posts: 108
edited January 2013 in Vanquisher Discussions
i have decided to roll a vanquisher dual wielding swords, what are good spells to have in this case?
313t5k6.jpg

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    You will want some ranged spells to balnace your melee stance. Fireball is the obvious, at least in the early levels. It has the added advantage of doing some damage behind walls.

You want things that even the odds vs mobs, and reduce the foes you have to face simultaneously. Web, Blood Skeletons if you can find it, regular skeletons if you can't. Maybe Charm.
    Bee Swarm if you are using that 'official' mod.

I think Heal All to have a guaranteed 100% recovery (if you are patient) before proceeding after hurting battles.

You'll be going in close deliberately, so Elemental Protection is probably more important than Elemental Overload.

dreamrider
  • DetraDetra Posts: 108
    dreamrider wrote:
    You will want some ranged spells to balnace your melee stance. Fireball is the obvious, at least in the early levels. It has the added advantage of doing some damage behind walls.

You want things that even the odds vs mobs, and reduce the foes you have to face simultaneously. Web, Blood Skeletons if you can find it, regular skeletons if you can't. Maybe Charm.
    Bee Swarm if you are using that 'official' mod.

I think Heal All to have a guaranteed 100% recovery (if you are patient) before proceeding after hurting battles.

You'll be going in close deliberately, so Elemental Protection is probably more important than Elemental Overload.

dreamrider

Thany you :)!!! this helps alot.
    313t5k6.jpg
  • EmbodimentEmbodiment Posts: 51
    Now to further extend the information given by dreamrider, as it was very helpful indeed, I'd like to also state that some spells are better off with your pet using them.

First and foremost I'd like to say Heal All is a great spell especially for a melee build Vanquisher. It would be best to have your pet use this spell so you can have an extra spell slot. Since it will let you conserve more mana for other spells/skills to use, as well as giving you one less thing to worry about.
    I would also suggest to use any given summon spell on your pet.

Heal Self is a nice choice as well, but this is one of those spells in very tight situations where spamming pots and the Heal All spell isn't sufficient enough to keep you going.
    Another alternative would be Draining Touch since you'll be hacking away at the majority of the mobs.

Elemental Protection is a must once you start getting towards the lower levels of the dungeons (Main Dungeon). This combined with Defensive Spell Mastery and you'll have to only worry about those nasty little Zealots and maybe Dragonkins.

Dervish is a nice skill to increase all attack speeds, including spells. Not a must, but something to keep in mind if you have a free slot to use.
    I regard to summon spells for pets - I have used them all at one time or another, and I believe the ultimate summon Speel you want on your pet is Skeleton Warrior IV.
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Flaming Sword, and it is fine as a start out pet summons, and the pet can use Skeleton Archers surprisingly effectively, since s/he always positions them corrctly.
    Blood Skeletons are nice, as they helps keep the pet in-health and in-the-fray. But when you reach the point that you are elegible for Level IV Spells, Skeleton Warriors it the way to go. You pet will pretty much keep one or two active all the time, and despite what you might see in some of the forum discussions, if you keep your pet healthy, with pots or better with fish on Hotkey, the pet will quickly build up to five sword and shield Skellies in a hot fight. That crowd in front of you will allow you to pick your own opponents with a little more care. In my opinion, the shield/blocking and the slightly longer duration and greater hit points/damage on the Level VI Skellies more than makes up for the life-steal/transfer on the Blood Skellies. Also, the pet doesn't seem to keep quite as many Blood Skellies in play.

To keep the pet in health, I also recommend collecting low-level double socket jewelry for the pet. It almost doesn't matter what the enchantments are, but extra strength and resistance are best. You'll be enchanting some extra affixes onto them whenever you don't have other pressing enchantments to do. Then any time you fish up a shimmering fish scale, put it in a pet socket. The +3 HP per turn is not usually worthwhile on your own gear, in competition with other gem benefits, but accumulating 6 of them on your pet means that s/he is recovering at an extra 18 HP / 'second'. (There are actually about 2 game 'seconds', calculation rounds, per actual second, at least on my computer.) That extra recovery rate can keep your pet in fights significantly longer, and help bring them back sooner.

The other thing to do is to keep at least one Hotkey filled with Fish, almost any Fish, but Muckfish, Gloopers, Tunnel Sharks, Pocket Fish, and maybe Bat Fish are best for melee recharges. A Hotkey fish feed when the annoying announcer says your pet is hurt will restore all pet hit points immediately, then it will restore them again in 2 minutes when the fish wears off. Elemental fish are OK, but they are best as the opening transform of an anticipated fight, a 'door-opener', because they are somewhat glass cannons; these other transforms carry some significant extra HP when the pet is transformed. Except the Bat Fish, also rather a glass cannon, but you get so many Bat fish; go ahead and spam them as heal potions, and the Vark form will do some noticeable damabe til it gets hurt. Spiders and birdfish are just too fragile, and bog perch/strider transforms, while packing a good punch (a good scratch?), tend to get in the way a lot.

dreamrider
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    dreamrider wrote:
    ...these other transforms carry some significant extra HP when the pet is transformed....dreamrider

especially the burrower. it has almost 4 times the health of the original form of pet!! thats right 4 times!
  • I have acuired heal all and heal self level 4. However when I right click to learn nothing happens. My character level is high enough and magic. Just wondering if there is a cap on the number of spells?

****Nevermind, I had all 4 slots full. :mrgreen:
    There are 2 spell "caps", so to speak. 3 if you count the pet capabilities.

1) A character can only have 4 active, usable spells at any 1 time. These are the 4 that you have dragged into the slots at the bottom of your character sheet. You can use the spells by Right clicking on them on the character sheet (usually awkward), or by assigning them to a Hotkey, or by assigning them to one of the switching options to rotate them onto your Right mouse key (usually the best for prime combat spells, but you may prefer the Hotkey launcher if you are using them in combo with some combat Skill on the right key.)

2) A pet may be assigned 2 spells in basically the same way. 2 Spell slots are positioned slightly differently on the pet sheet, just to the outside, left and right of the pet jewelry slots. The pet will then deside when to use those spells, but the AI is pretty good about it. Be warned that there are a non-tactical Spells, like Identify and Teleport Portal, that the pet cannot logically use/ai cannot figure out, and should never be assigned to the pet.

3) You can store and carry inactive spell scrolls. 21 in the Spell tab of your pack, and 21 in the Spell tab of the pet's pack. You can toss away an assigned Spell from its slot by hovering the cursor, then Control+Left Click. After the slot is empty, you may activate/assign any of the Spells you are carrying into the empty slot.

You can also store Spells in your stashes, where the take up one slot just like anything else.

dreamrider