New to torchlight...started a vanquisher

GuruGuru Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in Vanquisher Discussions
So I started playing this game recently. I'm a long time Diablo 2 player so that's where the appeal came from. I've been enjoying the game thus far playing on hard difficulty. It's been fun and the mechanics are pretty good. I'm also enjoying the loot system as well.

So, my first character was a vanquisher because I liked the ranged stuff. It's been fun thus far, no complaints. I must say, unlocking Explosive Arrow felt like having unlimited grenade launcher ammo in Resident Evil. I'm assuming I should look for a lot of dps-related gear, including crit stuff. I don't exactly know what's good in this game or how to get the really godly items. Can I just take a level 2 item, enchant the **** out of it and make it a 2k dps monster at some point? Or am I better off waiting until I get a high leveled weapon to do that? I'm asking because I found this:

fd6ej5.png

I think I enchanted it once or twice at that point, but it struck me as interesting because of it's ridiculous attack speed and life steal. I haven't used a health potion since I found it. Is this something that's worth enchanting the **** out of?

That should be all. If I think of any more questions I'll post them but I have quite a bit of experience with this genre and I can figure it out pretty easily as I go. Plus, Torchlight seems like it's really easy to figure out in the first place, so that helps.

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    The short answer is Yes.

I won't go into all the game mechanics stull. Player zekrom has written it up better, search on his name.

BLUF: The best ranged weapons for enchanting are Organ Guns and Ribauldequins, and the Epic versions thereof.
    They use the highest speed based multiple to multiply the added damage values into current DPS.

Even if the weapon disenchants, just keep it and start re-enchanting.
    For best results, do your enchanting by periodically re-visiting Shrines of Enchantment in the dungeon rather than going to the town enchanter.
    Less risk of disenchant, also.

dreamrider
  • GuruGuru Posts: 8
    dreamrider wrote:
    The short answer is Yes.

I won't go into all the game mechanics stull. Player zekrom has written it up better, search on his name.

BLUF: The best ranged weapons for enchanting are Organ Guns and Ribauldequins, and the Epic versions thereof.
    They use the highest speed based multiple to multiply the added damage values into current DPS.

Even if the weapon disenchants, just keep it and start re-enchanting.
    For best results, do your enchanting by periodically re-visiting Shrines of Enchantment in the dungeon rather than going to the town enchanter.
    Less risk of disenchant, also.

dreamrider

Yeah and I've noticed right away that speed was important because even though the weapon damage on that one was a pretty dramatic drop from the one I previously had, my Explosive Shot also got stronger. Seems as though I was pretty lucky in finding that with the life steal on it.

Also, I think I just got out of the prison. I know I have 5 waypoints. Not exactly sure how far I am into the game or how close to the end I am if at all, but I'm just having fun playing. How is the end game grind in this game? Is it basically just running the last few floors?
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    add all the damages on the weapon then divide the DPS by this sum. like 249/(83[not 42]+8)=2.74. this is the "speed multiplier". when u find any weapon just do this to get the multiplier. and THEN enchant the **** out of it.

2000 dps monster???
    :lol:
    i think dreamrider has a 4225 dps epic ribauldeqin
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    I think I lost that rifle somehow. In an unrecoverable way - deleted the save file or something.
    My highest right now is 3783, though it will go over 4000 when I plug some max Pure Ember into it.
    I've been playing my beloved crossbows recently, however.

Not to worry, a 2000 DPS rifle will serve you very well through Ordrak and beyond.

(Next time try to do it without the 'no fail' mod, however, to REALLY be able to claim bragging rights. If you have a hundred hours or so to invest in enchanting/re-enchanting, that is. <grin> )

The Lost Fortress levels after the prison are fairly easy for a shooter with a heavy gun. Usually pretty long sight lines, and no tough/big + fast/sharp critter combos like you occasionally run into in the prison levels.

The Black Palace levels (30-36) are something else. Generally good sight lines, but infested with Blood Deciples (look like the guy hanging out with Alric, fragile, but dash/smash charge like a Goblinhound, and 'bleeding' DoT, and they do not run away from compatriot deaths), Felwings (hard to hit flyers, with a serious whiptail sting, that run in big flocks), and, of course, the Dark Zealots, with can one-shot you with either Red Lightning or a fan of converging Poison Bolts, or quickly call up a mini-horde of Enslaved, fast poison skeletons that can each hurt you - easy to kill if there weren't so figgin' many of them! With the occasional clutch of dragonkin hidden in the corner of that small room that you have to pass through, and the Giant Dragonkin champion or two just over the curve of this or that bridge.

Final tip - don't fight Ordrak in the big room. Make him come to you near the stairs.

dreamrider