Torchlight 2 Alchemist (Fan Art)

dustinbrowndustinbrown Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Art and Sound
This is my first post here, so hi all. This isn't meant for a mod or anything, it's just something I'm doing for fun and for my portfolio. I love the art direction in the game, so I really wanted to make this guy. I'm currently working on painting textures for him. Since you guys are all fans of the game I figured you would know better than anyone if I buggered something up :lol: Thanks for taking a look!

dustinbrown_alchemist_wip06_small.jpg

dustinbrown_alchemist_wip13_small.jpg

Comments

• ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    That is very, very, very impressive stuff.
    I see nothing wrong with it in terms of the details/being true to the original art.
    The only thing I'd wonder about is the AO on the bottom of the staff and the back of the boots in the second shot -- both of those areas look darker than they should, at least if that AO is baked into the texture.

Also, if you don't mind, I have a question about your technique:
    Getting good, hard, fairly clean edges in ZBrush like you've done here can be, in my experience, somewhat difficult. How much of that aspect of the model was done in a different modeling program (if any at all) and how much was done in ZB? Were you using something like a pinch brush with the mod amount set high, or did you have some kind of custom brush to do that kind of work?
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • VasshpitVasshpit Posts: 205
    Snazzy to say the least.
    Learn as if you were going to live forever; Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
  • Thanks guys!

@Arkham I tend to bounce between ZBrush and Max a lot when I'm making kit for characters. Most of the hard surface stuff I do in Max because I can place my control edges exactly where I want them. You can get great results in ZBrush using ShadowBox and the clip brushes, but I'm faster at doing that sort of stuff in Max.
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Wait a second...I count 1,2,3,4, and 4 fingers!! :shock:

Awesome by the way. Now all you need is a 3d printer.
    Rusty wrote:
    Wait a second...I count 1,2,3,4, and 4 fingers!! :shock:
    Oh yeah, I'm surprised I didn't notice that.
    TL characters have three fingers (plus the one thumb) rather than four. I guess that might be an inconsistency... but it still looks just fine anyway.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:

• Ha, you caught the one goof I already knew about! Yep about halfway through the sculpt I noticed that I gave him an extra finger, but I decided that it looked fine so I left it. Since it's a persona project I get to make executive decisions like that :lol:

This is still a bit of a mess, but here's a work in progress on the color I'm going for him. Ignore the boots, they look like hot garbage.

dustinbrown_alchemist_wip18_small.jpg
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Well I think it looks amazing. Hot garbage and all. At this scale it sort of reminds me of a TF2 character. I love the glow on his magic items. You have done a really good job with this Dustin.
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Hot **** garbage... :lol: Cool beans.

*yells at hands and brain*

stupid parts, y u no good at using zbrush!?!? :x
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Dustin this is just beautiful stuff! Are you going to take it to posed models? with backgrounds? :P

Sorry if I'm getting too far ahead, but I would love to have a full TL scene of the quality you're making here!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • Thanks guys! Here's the final model. I had a lot of fun working on this :)

dustinbrown_alchemist_wip21_01.jpg
    dustinbrown_alchemist_wip21_02.jpg
    dustinbrown_alchemist_wip21_03.jpg
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    That is just pure pure awesome Dustin! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    Excellent work. It looks great.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:

• SimonSaysBakaSimonSaysBaka Posts: 648 ✭✭
    pro work :D
    I like Cake!
  • I wish I could do things like this! And I'm gonna try to learn to do things like this,I'm gonna start by learning 3dsmax in school but I got no clue about texturing :roll:
  • ****, I wish I could make stuff this amazing. The final model is AAA quality. :)