Getting OWNED.

ThomasAndrewsThomasAndrews Posts: 19
edited August 2012 in Alchemist Discussions
Alright, ladies and gentlemen. It's time for me to swallow my pride and ask where I've been going wrong....

First of all, I'm playing on Hard (not very hard) difficulty, and here are my problems:

1) The entire game was super easy (I would argue even way too easy) until I got to the Black Castle... then it got a little tougher, but was still relatively easy. Then I got to the Shadow Vault, or I'll enter an area with a 20-??? level map, and start getting OWNED. ****.

As in a swing from a single goblin will take out half of my hitpoints. I will get one-shotted by almost everything else on the screen. It's **** me off... I have to spam potions just to stay alive...

2) The drop rate in this game is insanely LOW. I've seen a lot of complaints that it's way too high, so maybe it's incredibly varied... but I played through and cleared every level 100%, completed every side quest, opted to grind through every available extra map, and what do I have to show for it at level 51? 6 (count 'em, 6) unique items. 2 set items. And I found all those at relatively low (less than 20) levels. Not even CLOSE to being good enough gear to get me through the Shadow Vault, and I mean level ONE of the Shadow Vault.

I have several spells maxed out, but they do minimal damage to every enemy... it takes continuous focus of a level 10 ember lance on a goblin to bring it down in 20 seconds... and that's with a lot of critical hits.
I've spent almost all of my skill points in magic and defense, with VERY few put into strength, none into dexterity.

What gives? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Well, I don't have a lot hof help to give, as I haven't been playing Alchemists, but perhaps a little understanding.

The m-level of the 1st level of the Shadow Vault that you enter, regardless that is is called Floor 1, is set to match your character level at the time you enter it (or may one below your c-level). As long as you have unfulfilled quests for a given level, or an open teleportal from the SV, it will hold the state of your last delving to that floor.

The result of this process is that when you went into the SV for the first time with your, at a guess, c-level 42 alchemist who had just defeated Ordrack and his level 35 dragonkin, you were suddenly facing m-level 42 monsters.

The m-level of the monsters on successive floors will go up by one per floor, as long as you have a teleportal open into the SV, or you have a quest open for that new floor. As you work your way down, your character's c-level should slowly pull ahead of the current monster population again. Until you max out the character, any way.

If you close out your teleportal (usually by using a teleportal during a visit back to the Main Dungeon for grinding), and you have no SV quests open for the floor you were formerly on in the SV, or for the next one, when you next enter the SV the m-level setting will recur, and you will be facing monsters of the same level as your character again.

When I start a new character, I always set him or her up with what ever basic gear I have stached for that class, then go and accept the quests from Gar and Valeria. Since those quests are for the 1st Floor of the Shadow vault and having the Quests assigned locks the state of the floor, that will hold the m-level of critters on the 1st Floor of the SV until I return to clear that Floor and complete those quests. I usually duck into just the first room of the SV at the beginning - I don't know if this is necessary to hold the state, but hey, insurance. Then I go do the story campaign. The I come back to the SV with my now level 35+ character, and have a relatively easy time going through the SV Floors 1-40 or so, and even beyond that my character stays comfortably ahead of the current floor SV m-level until I max out and decide to push the character below Floor 100.

dreamrider
  • Thanks for the feedback, dreamrider. I didn't realize you could enter the Shadow Vault as soon as you created a new character--very interesting. I still wish there were a way to make the game challenging without being ridiculous--being touched the the basic attack of any monster shouldn't lower your HP by half, and your once-effective spells shouldn't be reduced to a tiny fraction of the damage they once did (despite having relatively decent gear).

Maybe I'm just a noob. ;) I'll definitely be playing around with different skills and changing my playing style to adapt. My char is pretty much a pure spellcaster--but from the forums, it seems that summoning is the only way to really be effective--spellcasting is imbalanced in that it's overpowered at lower levels and worthless at high levels without gear to sufficiently augment your DPS (and if you can't find that gear, you're screwed).

Thanks again.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Your Spells are not being nerfed. The higher level monsters just have more armor/protection.

One suggestion. For a 'caster build, include a wand that is at least partially optimised with Armor Stripping. Some of the Ember Shards will do it, even if you can't find a good wand with that affix. Then one-two punch with the wand to strip some protection off and your damage Spell to...well...damage.

dreamrider
  • birdbrain5birdbrain5 Posts: 592
    I play an alchemist and I had no problems like this, but that may be because I put almost all of my skill into summoning so I hardly ever take a hit. Honestly, just enchant your stuff and focus on summoning spells.
    Hi everyone.
  • zekromzekrom Posts: 114
    Maybe I'm just a noob. ;) I'll definitely be playing around with different skills and changing my playing style to adapt. My char is pretty much a pure spellcaster--but from the forums, it seems that summoning is the only way to really be effective--spellcasting is imbalanced in that it's overpowered at lower levels and worthless at high levels without gear to sufficiently augment your DPS (and if you can't find that gear, you're screwed).

Thanks again.

ah! you finally get it. spellcasting is totally worthless at higher levels. and one more thing, whatever u do to augment your dps ember lance will stay the same. only way to increase your dmg with ember lance is to get lot of critical damage bonus gear. as lance is continuous, it has higher chance of crtting so just increase the critical bonus!! on the other hand, summoning totally outclasses everything else-spellcasting,etc..
    dreamrider wrote:
    Your Spells are not being nerfed. The higher level monsters just have more armor/protection.

One suggestion. For a 'caster build, include a wand that is at least partially optimised with Armor Stripping. Some of the Ember Shards will do it, even if you can't find a good wand with that affix. Then one-two punch with the wand to strip some protection off and your damage Spell to...well...damage.

dreamrider

no no no. they are getting nerfed. or rather they are not scaling well anymore. actually the point is, you have to stop at some floor of the shadow vault as u cant go on forever. so if all classes found it tough to cross level 70 monsters, then that would be set as the practical limit. but vaquisher and destroyer can go further bcoz of their skills scaling with gear AND stats. whereas alchemists skills(casting only) scale only with magic stat. so it looks like limit is reaching faster.
    summoners are another matter entirely....