Trapper Vanq's. Traps not firing for several seconds?

teflondonteflondon Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in Vanquisher Discussions
So my newest VH/HC character is a tank/trapper Vanq. Maxed out defenses and trappin goodness. I gifted her one thing from a higher level, solitude shield with 1200 hp. With that, maxed armor skill, block skills and defense skulls put into armor she face tank bosses on level at 23 easily atm. Most resists are near 300 already without spells. I love her so far, very different gameplay but I do have one thing to say...those **** traps are slooooooow. I will often chuck some down and even make sure I'm within mobs agro range and they sit there sometimes for several seconds doing nothing. Even dropping one in the middle of a hectic battle and they sit there lol. I can often kill the mobs with level 1 ricochet before they activate =/ All I have to say to this is BAH@ LOL, anyhow, that was it :) MUCH slower in moving through maps than any other character I've had because of this. Just a little frustrating I guess!

Comments

• VomaxxVomaxx Posts: 65
    I too have noticed that traps sometimes just sit there. I don't know why this happens, but it's frustrating.
  • TheRaniTheRani Posts: 276
    I think it has to do with the AI. If it tries to find a way to shoot a particular enemy, but there's something blocking it, like stairs or a wall or something, instead of trying to shoot some other enemy, it just sits there waiting around for that unaccessible enemy to be available for attacking. I find that running around and aggroing all nearby enemies to get them out of hiding may sometimes be necessary. Or just recasting the trap in a better position so that it can reach the enemies it wants to shoot.
    The Rani
  • TheRani wrote:
    I think it has to do with the AI. If it tries to find a way to shoot a particular enemy, but there's something blocking it, like stairs or a wall or something, instead of trying to shoot some other enemy, it just sits there waiting around for that unaccessible enemy to be available for attacking. I find that running around and aggroing all nearby enemies to get them out of hiding may sometimes be necessary. Or just recasting the trap in a better position so that it can reach the enemies it wants to shoot.

I have noticed this happens yes! Although In the OP I was referring to times that I was literally throwing the traps down on even ground, open area with TONS of mobs on me. No firing at all for what seems 3-4 seconds which is rather unacceptable and why some people likely prefer the much more straight forward ES build or a hybrid marks/rogue with some arbiter. Mind you I will say that once those babies start up they just destroy things like a meat grinder. But I want to drop it, 1 second targeting tops and fires away. Not sitting there waiting. It's not like they are cheap mana wise...they are mid 30's to 40 a pop. When they have to be recast to even function that is just not right. What I can say is that between my 2 hand destroyer, caster Alchemist and arbiter spec vanq(I like to pick the off specs for HC lol) the 2 hand destroyer(one lucky doomquake can sometimes decimate an entire room) is FAR easier and more effective time/kill wise by FAR followed by the caster alchemist with my arbiter tank spec vanq falling behind the alchemist by maybe 10-15% in room clearing speed overall.

Another thing I have noticed is that if the mob does not move(webbed for example) my traps will not attack it AT ALL until it moves again. This is assuming I cast the traps After the mob was immobilized by my web spell =/ Ok, fair enough in real life I guess :P Motion detecting traps but booo@ I'm having a blast playing it BUT it would be much more enjoyable if I didn't have to baby sit each trap to see if it's even working :D
  • I noticed too that some traps just don't shoot, I never noticed that for the first trap type but for the second trap type. it's still very minor and at worse force cast another one. It's a detail that shouldn't involve the decision to not try that type of build, it's very interesting for now (I'm at Dwarves level) and it generates a very different gameplay.