Well, seems trapper vanq's are just late bloomers

teflondonteflondon Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in Vanquisher Discussions
Cause this is crazy now. Maybe not the fastest but ****, I feel like the juggernaut. If you build and shop/gamble for resists, armor, defense only you end up like This. I know that people with unlimited enchanting/high levels passing down super enchanted gear can do this. But I have not even finished the game once yet lol.

h40Uo.jpg

Melee mobs do nothing even at level. Juggernaut trolls and even elite juggernaut trolls tried at level 32 were striking for glancing blows. The only enemies that do any damage are the skelly packs summoned by the lightning girlies(they do poison damage i think) and it's 10-30 tops and the lightning ladies at level 32 were Zapping me for 250-300 per lightning(not likely a crit but still. Can survive several of them easily) and there is SO much room for improvement yet. All those slots can be filled with resist/defense gems which would add a TON with that many slots(each piece of gear is enchanted 5-6 times after many re-shops lol) I don't even have 1 point in block n parry yet. I'd say it's like a slower to get started late blooming necro/charms alchemist that trades some speed for so much tank n spank you an go get a drink while your traps/blood skellies clear the room....with you standing in the middle of it the entire time. I'm thinking of getting rid of Web(love the spell...but it just seems redundant when you can sit in the pack anyhow) and adding another blood skelly or a regular skelly 6. Can you use more than one Blood Skelly at the same time like the normal ones if you have two of the scrolls learned? Anyhow, it's a lot more fun now :) Just took a lot longer to ramp up the fun!

PS and Edit...this is all on Very Hard/HC as well. I wish there was a higher setting to use now!

Comments

• Post us what mod are you using currently, than we will know if a new difficulity needed.
  • sure!

Balanced Destroyer skill durations. (It's just annoying after a time with 30 second bufff durations lol)
    Better random quest rewards (Cause they ****...always?)
    Hi-Rez Texture mod (hrm, just cause haha)
    Item always ID + 99 stacking. (after lvl 6 is it really hard to afford id scrolls? and saved me clicking!!)
    Merchant pack (just got this one, I like it. You get more gems overall but whatever)
    More Respawn (No idea how much this affects the respawn...sometimes fast. Other times it seems nothing respawns still lol)
    More stash(not shared, just personal. I'm a packrat!)
    Punching bags in town (Who does not like beating up orcs?? nice to see upgrade changed)
    And I tried to get the twohandenchant mod to work but it doesn't seem to. Not the double damage silly business. The one that gives 50% better enchant on a 2hander as it should have been to begin with. IMO they should have three gem slots to.

I kinda go back and forth on many characters lol. So after posting this I went back to my 2 hander destroyer and with only 2/3 the physical mitigation and half the resist numbers he kills rooms in 1/4 the time and almost safer still because of how fast they die =/ So take what I said with a grain of salt up above lol. And I don't mean doing the normal recommended VH/HC leveling route....that is boring =/....of doing low lvl map scrolls and being 10+ levels above. I'm talking doing the 20-?? map scrolls and such. I'm Always fighting on level/1 level below. My opinion is that trapper vanqs are hella fun still but FAR less effective than some other builds etc. Does it matter in a single player game? To some people yes :D The problem I'm seeing is that traps just do not scale. The pet damage bonuses on gear should add to all traps and not just lightning/fire. Add in slow trap of some sort like the destroyer aura would be nice to. Slows movement, attack, cast etc. Who knows :) All I know is 1-2 doomquakes does what 10-20 seconds of laying down traps and then attacking does on a trapper vanq.
  • Have you tried vanilla **** ? VHHC is very hard for me.
  • sleepers wrote:
    Have you tried vanilla **** ? VHHC is very hard for me.

Well my first VH/HC guy was vanilla. But honestly i think there are a lot of little things improved by mods in this game and the ones I listed do not seem to reduce the difficulty any :) just make it more fun lol. My only problem with mods in torchlight is how easily it seems to break the game. Then having to remove them all and re-add etc etc is a bit annoying but whatevs :)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    Are you using Devourer Traps in concert with your killer traps? Fans who have expressed a liking for Trappers have generally also indicated that is the key to a successful high-level trapper, to 1-2 punch Devouring Traps and one of the killing types into the same kill zone. With pet and some other sort of secondary range fire providing support and treating leakers. Oh, and WOJ or Hamstring to keep your white wrinkly body out of harms way. Maybe Venomous Dirks.

dreamrider
  • dreamrider wrote:
    Are you using Devourer Traps in concert with your killer traps? Fans who have expressed a liking for Trappers have generally also indicated that is the key to a successful high-level trapper, to 1-2 punch Devouring Traps and one of the killing types into the same kill zone. With pet and some other sort of secondary range fire providing support and treating leakers. Oh, and WOJ or Hamstring to keep your white wrinkly body out of harms way. Maybe Venomous Dirks.

dreamrider

Sorry for the late response Dreamrider! Yes, I aam definitely using all the traps. You can lay down two of each trap. I do not use the lower ones on recommendation from other threads discussing them but I do use all three of the top ones: Devouring, Flechette, shock(All at 10 now i think). In BIG rooms filled I'll drop 2 of each in what looks good locations. I Use Elemental Prot, Haste, Web, Blood skeleton as my scrolls. I'm built as a tank. only enough dex for the weapons and gear. All the rest into defense and even gemmed/geared for max armor/defense/resists. I can actually sit in the middle of a huge pack and be fine unless there are more than a couple lightning ladies. What I can say is that it works fine, everything dies and I'm in little trouble. But from playing both a caster alchemist and 2 hander destroyer(he is now level 80/55) those other two classes clear rooms FAR FASTER all three on VH/HC setting. No biggie :) Was just observing that the traps do not scale(shock does...but that is one trap lol. Fire to but everybody recommends not buying into it) like my other two characters do. My Vanq kills stuff faster with her level 1 ricochet if you can believe it lol. The traps sometimes do not fire at all if you lay more than one...sometimes do. Sometimes they sit for 3-5 seconds. And then start. @Shrugs lol.
  • I'm replaying TL1 after a very long pause pick up Vanquisher then tried first trap and was surprised of the cool and fun gameplay it was generating. Later I tried second traps, much more efficient but perhaps too much.

First traps with powerfull damage on groups, on one direction and on very short range involves many managing around those limits, it's very fun. It's too bad that the second traps make them obsolete, they should have some limits keeping all the value of the first trap. But managing second and third traps is cool anyway.

For now (only Hard difficulty) I appreciate a lot the cool gameplay quite special it involves, perhaps it's less complicated and with less possibilities than some other builds but it's a very different gameplay quite fun. Very good design. :-) Even if I think some adjustment to make first traps useful during all the game would have been much better.