Gun + pistol vanquisher ?

BearwingBearwing Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Vanquisher Discussions
Hey there !

I just wanted to ask a single question. Is there anyway to build a char using a combo made of one handed sword plus a Pistol ?
The basic idea would be to harrass enemies from affar with the pistol and then running into the melle to finish them off.
I guess a char like this one would require to spend a lot af skill points in differents talents and therefore would forbid to max every one of them but i'd realy like to try something on my own rather than following the classic cookie cutter spec.

Any idea ?

PS: Please, excuse my poor english.

Comments

• VomaxxVomaxx Posts: 65
    The question is, why do this? If you build up Ranged Weapon Expertise & Ricochet, you will always inflict more damage with a good pistol, bow, etc. than you will with a sword mace, etc. I cannot see a Vanquisher running in to fight dragonkin, zealots, etc. and surviving for very long.
  • Started playing Torchlight today myself, made a vanguard and so far ive rolled as sword/gun vanguard with some traps as extra goodies. No idea if ill end up rerolling eventually though, so far its a blast
    but i just randomly up str/dex/def depending on gear i find. Couldn't find any guide for the style so i just though ill do stuff and see what happens.

So far it's a blast though, skills are a bit of an mess however.

DW 10
    flame trap 3
    flechette trap 3
    armor expertise 1
    martial weapons 2
    critical strikes 1
    richocet 2
    ranged weapons 3

a bit of everything, it's fun going with pistol and melee but im afraid unless i can sort out the build it's gonna end up horrid eventually...even if the style would be weaker than pure melee or ranged i just love hybrids.
    If anyone has experience with hybrid builds any tips would be appreciated

*PS* tried using search but didnt really find anything i was looking for.
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    Arislan wrote:
    Started playing Torchlight today myself, made a vanguard and so far ive rolled as sword/gun vanguard with some traps as extra goodies. No idea if ill end up rerolling eventually though, so far its a blast
    but i just randomly up str/dex/def depending on gear i find. Couldn't find any guide for the style so i just though ill do stuff and see what happens.

So far it's a blast though, skills are a bit of an mess however.

DW 10
    flame trap 3
    flechette trap 3
    armor expertise 1
    martial weapons 2
    critical strikes 1
    richocet 2
    ranged weapons 3

a bit of everything, it's fun going with pistol and melee but im afraid unless i can sort out the build it's gonna end up horrid eventually...even if the style would be weaker than pure melee or ranged i just love hybrids.
    If anyone has experience with hybrid builds any tips would be appreciated

*PS* tried using search but didnt really find anything i was looking for.

It would be tough at first(removes the Area of Effect Skill), but I would have skipped Flame Trap and invest those points in Devouring Trap with lowers the targets' defense. Also look into Wind Of Justice for a point or two to be able to knock back/stun mobs before they completely swarm you. Ricochet has the highest DPS in the game. May want to eventually max that one or wait for Explosive Shot. It to has an impressive DPS but can be aimed better than Ricochet plus wider area of damage. Depending on which weapon(gun or melee) is your primary weapon, consider maxing Ranged Weapon or Martial Weapons - not only does these skills give added damage, they also lower the weapon types requirements.

Edit - Almost forget - Block and Parry Passive. This will partially make up for the lack of Shield.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    This combo works just fine. Always put the pistol in your left hand, blade/mace in the right. That way character will cut when the target is close enough, shoot when target is further. All attacks will get the enchantment benefits from both weapons.

dreamrider