New Item Prefixes/Suffixes

GeneGene Posts: 98
edited August 2009 in General Modding
So how creative are we going to be able to get with these?

Would we be able to, say, create a suffix that does the following?
of Duplication
-- 5% chance on hit to spawn a copy of a stricken non-elite (and non-unique) enemy

Or a prefix that does something like...
Moneylender's
-- 20% chance on kill to spawn a random pile of gold

Or even something outlandish like...
of BOOM!
-- Monsters struck are sent flying back (knockback) and if they strike another monster they explode dealing X damage to all nearby targets (including the player)

Yes I know the second one is dangerously similar to +gold drop items (which I also hope are in the game).

Comments

• WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    Oooh, this should be fun :D Maybe we can give the gang some ideas, since this kind of game needs a LOT of item modifiers to keep the loot from seeming all the same.

-of Transmogrification
    Has a 0.1% Chance to transform you into a random monster for three minutes upon striking.

-of Duplication
    When struck has a 1% chance of creating a 5 minute clone that follows and helps you out.

-of Infinite Possibilities
    Changes into a new random item modifier every minute.

-of Smackdown
    5% Chance of temporarily flattening and paralyzing an enemy for 5 seconds.
    No effect on Creatures larger than self.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • GeneGene Posts: 98
    I'm really digging that infinite possibilities property! Something like that could be really cool.

I hope the editing of suffixes is open; it'll allow people to get some really cool items in the game. Even niftier would be 'charged' items that let you throw spells a certain number of times before needing to repair them (or something).

I dunno; I just think an open prefix/suffix system would add a lot of depth to the game.
    We know we'll be able to edit the regular stuff in the game, but whether anything like I suggested is possible... I have no idea.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
    I knew we'd be able to edit a good portion of the stuff in the game; I'm really just curious about just how deeply we can modify things beyond what's preset into the system.
    Well, if there is a "chance to cast" modifier, then all you would need to do for the Transmogrification, Duplication, and Smackdown things I suggested is make a skill that has that effect and apply it. The Infinite Possibilities... I have no idea.
    If there's a chance to cast modifier that would indeed make a lot of stuff much easier to do.

I could see the infinite possibilities being done with a unique item. Maybe set up a script to see if the player has an item of infinite possibilities. If the player does replace it with another item of the same kind with some magical properties and the infinite possibilities modifier.