How to revive **** characters?

CyrilixCyrilix Posts: 56
edited April 2016 in TL General Discussions
Here's the deal. I like playing **** characters because it always keeps me on edge, but I want to play it in such a way that if a **** character dies, I can just take back his equipment and try again. Is there any way (from what anyone can see in the character save file) that you can edit some entry that marks you as dead?

By the way, I know this is sort of cheating, but that's how I like to play my game.

Comments

• dawgmadawgma Posts: 45
    It's called unchecking the "****" box.
  • CyrilixCyrilix Posts: 56
    Yeah, I know that, but I would like to recover my items and try again.
  • "He's dead, Jim" -- Dr. McCoy, Startrek
  • SmithSmith Posts: 52
    Save a backup copy of the "save" folder.

Vista/7: C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\Save
    XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUser\Application Data\runic games\torchlight\Save

If your character dies, just restore the previous copy of your character file (named 0.sav, 1.sav, etc.).

Kind of defeats the purpose of the **** check though.
    Are you not entertained?
    Are you not entertained!?!?
  • Epitaph64Epitaph64 Posts: 128
    Yeah, why not just play on non-**** if you plan to revive him anyways?
  • ConeyConey Posts: 105
    Yeah... Just play normally and then when you die throw your stuff in the stash and delete the character... No reason to actually change anything if you are not playing **** anyway...
    I want more mods... And less whining... Get a grip people...
  • Yeah, pretty much a full on stupid request. You don't have to check the **** box. If you check the **** box, it's because you want the character to be automatically deleted when you die. Don't want that to happen, don't check the box.
  • TransformerTransformer Posts: 115
    edited October 2009
    Calm down everyone! Sheesh.

Cyrilix, are you saying you want to lose **** characters when they die (IE: have to start over from level 1), but not lose their equipment?
  • xkz92xkz92 Posts: 4
    Cyrilix wrote:
    Here's the deal. I like playing **** characters because it always keeps me on edge, but I want to play it in such a way that if a **** character dies, I can just take back his equipment and try again. Is there any way (from what anyone can see in the character save file) that you can edit some entry that marks you as dead?

By the way, I know this is sort of cheating, but that's how I like to play my game.

You chose to play **** because you wanted to feel the fear to lose everything on a single mistake, both your character and your equipment but if you die, you want to revive your character and take back his equipment .. what's the point of playing **** then ? Just play in Softcore and don't pretend you're **** like the real HC players :/

Cyrilix, are you saying you want to lose **** characters when they die (IE: have to start over from level 1), but not lose their equipment?

That is correct. I want to be able to retrieve my items and start again.
  • BasicsBasics Posts: 41
    Nice e-peen stroking going on in this thread? It's not the same asking to keep the **** chars gear when he dies and asking for it to be revived afterwards. Is it not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME the way YOU want to play it? it's not like the change will affect you in any way. =/

@ Cyrilix, you might be able to edit in this change in TorchEd, but for now I guess the only way is to, like Coney said, put your items in the shared stash after you died and dutiful to yourself delete it. TorchEd should be out soon though so might not have to wait that long =)
  • AkimboAkimbo Posts: 46
    Just don't play ****....

Maybe online they'll have the loot option like Diablo 2, but until then..

imgname--nintendo_fanboy_internets_misunderstand_sonys_kaz_hirai---50226711--picard-no-facepalm.jpg
    xkz92 wrote:
    Cyrilix wrote:

You chose to play **** because you wanted to feel the fear to lose everything on a single mistake, both your character and your equipment but if you die, you want to revive your character and take back his equipment .. what's the point of playing **** then ? Just play in Softcore and don't pretend you're **** like the real HC players :/

No, not really. I want an in between **** and softcore experience. That is, the intensity of playing a **** character, the character loss of a **** character, the equipment loss of a softcore character.

Really though, I don't need to justify my gameplay desires. I do what I do because it's fun, and that's that. Further posts that demand justification or are insulting will simply be ignored, since I don't care to fight a forum war. I have a specific question, so please get back on topic.
  • AntitrustAntitrust Posts: 389
    Basics wrote:
    Is it not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME the way YOU want to play it? it's not like the change will affect you in any way. =/
    Yes, but PLEASE leave the OFFICIAL forum to people that play the game AS INTENDED.
    sig3.png
  • Basics wrote:
    Nice e-peen stroking going on in this thread?
    No epeen stroking at all. If you want to play "****" with item retrieval, just play on normal, die, and put all your items in the shared stash and delete that character and start again. The facility is already ingame, what isn't is the ability to force you to delete your character. They already have the **** shared stash which is miles beyond anything I've ever seen implemented in a game with a **** function. **** is, well, ****, if you want something less than that, make up your own rules and stick to them.
    KindSimian wrote:
    Basics wrote:
    Nice e-peen stroking going on in this thread?
    No epeen stroking at all. If you want to play "****" with item retrieval, just play on normal, die, and put all your items in the shared stash and delete that character and start again. The facility is already ingame, what isn't is the ability to force you to delete your character. They already have the **** shared stash which is miles beyond anything I've ever seen implemented in a game with a **** function. **** is, well, ****, if you want something less than that, make up your own rules and stick to them.

Alright, I understand. That's fine with me, but what is a post-mortem solution for my currently dead character?
  • SUGGESTION: MILITARY ****

Play on Very Hard. If you die, you have to do 20 pushups and run 2 miles before your can continue.

:twisted: DON'T YOU F'N CRY, SOLDIER!!!! YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW, MAGGOT!!! :twisted:
  • Cyrilix wrote:
    Alright, I understand. That's fine with me, but what is a post-mortem solution for my currently dead character?

There isn't one, at least none that anyone has figured out yet. Even if someone does discover how to "resurrect" the dead, you'd still be facing the problem that there's no shared stash between normal and **** characters so either start over in normal and enforce your "medium core", or wait around for someone to figure out what you need to change in a hex editor to reincarnate the dead and continually bring the dead back, steal their gear, and then start a new character.
  • SFJakeSFJake Posts: 99
    Antitrust wrote:
    Basics wrote:
    Is it not allowed to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME the way YOU want to play it? it's not like the change will affect you in any way. =/
    Yes, but PLEASE leave the OFFICIAL forum to people that play the game AS INTENDED.
    What a stupid statement.

Just.. shut up and get out.
  • XenBlueXenBlue Posts: 296
    Cyrilix wrote:

That is correct. I want to be able to retrieve my items and start again.

Anything you bank in the shared stash will persist after death. But the whole point of **** mode is what you stand to lose if you die. Having said that I would not be surprised if there will be an HC resurrect mod just like I'm sure there will be an Unretire mod at some point after TorchED is released which will give you what your looking for...
    Skill Calc by TaylorBalbi: http://calc.torchlightinsider.com/index.php?c=1
    Bug Report forum: viewforum.php?f=25
    Lend your support to a great WIP MOD here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7162
  • ZenZen Posts: 53
    Cyrilix, the solution has already been given by a few other posters.

If you want to play like that then play on Softcore, when your character dies put his stuff in the Shared stash and delete him.

That is how you can get the ****/softcore hybrid that you desire.
    Yeah, I guess I will just have to wait for the editor, or for someone to put out a utility that does this. I couldn't decipher the vast majority of my save data since most of it is just blocks of binary data. Oh well, we'll see. Guess I'll play my medium-core summoner when that happens.
  • DrevDrev Posts: 309
    SFJake wrote:
    Antitrust wrote:
    Basics wrote:
    What a stupid statement.

Just.. shut up and get out.

I think that was a bit more constructive than what you wrote there Jake...if you cant be productive, dont post

But I have to agree with every other post. move to softcore. maybe there will be a "loot your dead HC character' mod soon, actually that would be kinda kool really..
  • oldsolds Posts: 48
    Badkitty wrote:
    SUGGESTION: MILITARY ****

Play on Very Hard. If you die, you have to do 20 pushups and run 2 miles before your can continue.

:twisted: DON'T YOU F'N CRY, SOLDIER!!!! YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW, MAGGOT!!! :twisted:

heh i like it :D
    Retired 32 Alchemist Normal
    Current 100 Alchemist Very Hard
  • ZettaiZettai Posts: 1
    Anyway, I've found a program that does possible reviving a character or unretiring a char.

Here's the url: Torchlight Util
  • DubbyDubby Posts: 4
    Here's one good reason to want to be able to bring back a **** character.

Your antivirus software deciding to startup its checkup in the middle of a very dangerous fight. Two seconds of lag? You're dead.

To a **** player (and this applies to Diablo 2, as well), dying is acceptable if the death was your own fault. Also [fyi] in Diablo 2, most **** players will buddy with a close friend or someone they trust - so should death happen, there is a possibility of recovering the corpse to retrieve the gear... granted that whatever was in the stash, is now gone.
  • enemantikenemantik Posts: 492
    Dubby wrote:
    Your antivirus software deciding to startup its checkup in the middle of a very dangerous fight. Two seconds of lag? You're dead.

Turn off your antivirus software/other malware scanners before starting to play a game. I always do that. If you have those programs running on the background, they use up CPU/system resources, take up RAM and interfere with read/writes to your hard drive. This is especially important if you have a lower-end hardware.
  • Cyrilix wrote:

Hey there Cyrilix, I understand your situation, I wish to complete the game on **** very hard mode for the achievement, but I will back up my save file periodically in case oh I don't know, there's a real life emergency and I have to leave in the middle of a fight, game crash, I could go on, and this is why I agree with you and think that everyone else is being a condescending **** when they tell you to STFU and go away.

I also found a mod that allows shared stashing of items (if you google torchlight mods its on the runicgamesfansite), which means you could collect items for your **** character before you embark on **** mode if you want to make it easier, (diablo 3 had this functionality built in so I don't see why this game doesn't) either way you lose progress when you die on ****, even if you backup your save often, you just won't lose hundreds of hours as "the game intends you to"+
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    900x900px-LL-35ae78a6_2910225-thread_necrord.jpeg
    Kinda ironic the thread about reviving dead **** character ends up being the one that went the longest time before it was necro'd. :)
    Things got a lot easier with Torchlight II and a little program called Rapid Respec. It also helps restore **** characters. I never bothered with **** in Torchlight. The games too janky. Oh, btw-welcome to the forum. :)
    ItfooQF.png