edited September 2012
    -- removed by moderator --
  • JacerX wrote:
    Just wait until it's fixed.
    IF it gets fixed
  • JacerX wrote:
    IF it gets fixed

I have complete faith that runic will figure out something :)
  • axoaxo Posts: 192
    JacerX wrote:
    JacerX wrote:
    IF it gets fixed

I have complete faith that runic will figure out something :)

We need more people like you ;)
    2249901424.png
  • axo wrote:
    We need more people like you ;)

Thanks, I can say the same about you!
  • hi, i know we are all a bit upset and annoyed that we cant play the game but can we try to keep this thread clean and helpfull?

Anyway i am still playing the game by errr,,, use of a third party application, so far it has worked flawlessly, but i of course do wish to play on the real client and online whit friends
    It fixed my frame drop in combat problem, i would still recommend trying it to other people, it has helped a few us, and it might keep you busy until the game is patched.
    just to be sure: I am not encouraging piracy, If you have bought this game you deserve to play it, i am sure Runic are doing there best to fix whatever issues we have, but if you can enjoy parts of the game by other means until then, then so be it.
    Be sure to try the Theta (non-steam) version and not the Reloaded (steam) version.

Ps if any mod or dev does not want discussion about piracy as temporally fix, then feel free to delete this post.
  • i, i know we are all a bit upset and annoyed that we cant play the game but can we try to keep this thread clean and helpfull?

Anyway i am still playing the game by errr,,, use of a third party application, so far it has worked flawlessly, but i of course do wish to play on the real client and online whit friends
    It fixed my frame drop in combat problem, i would still recommend trying it to other people, it has helped a few us, and it might keep you busy until the game is patched.
    just to be sure: I am not encouraging piracy, If you have bought this game you deserve to play it, i am sure Runic are doing there best to fix whatever issues we have, but if you can enjoy parts of the game by other means until then, then so be it.
    Be sure to try the Theta (non-steam) version and not the Reloaded (steam) version.

Ps if any mod or dev does not want discussion about piracy as temporally fix, then feel free to delete this post.

I actually think this is really important information...

I'm having these same issues and have been lurking this thread since its creation. Tried just about all of the applicable "fixes" to no avail, convinced it's something in the coding that we need to wait on Runic to fix.

I have yet to try it, but if the issues are being resolved via a pirated client there may be some crucial things to learn here. @travisbaldree, have any of you guys considered getting this client and seeing if it fixes the problems on a PC where you were able to reproduce them, and compare some changes in the code? Because it appears to be that while it's a non-Steam issue (people getting the non-steam client/beta are still experiencing FPS drops), the problem must've been introduced among some of the changes you made between whatever version the THETA client is running, and your live release. Looking forward to you guys fixing this, btw! I'm trying to stop myself from playing through the whole thing so I can actually experience the game as it was intended, without having to crank down my settings and still experience poor performance in any big fights. Online play pushes it into the realm of unbearable, so I'm waiting on that.

Best of luck.
  • Travis, I just wanted to thank you for helping me out. It seems that the problem for me was the combat log. The game runs a lot smoother now. In some really big fights the fps still drop to 20ish, but its nowhere near as bad as before. Kuddos to all your hard work!
  • GraveD wrote:

... on a PC where you were able to reproduce them...
    Did they actually manage to get one of those? Because from what I've seen so far they are just trying to optimize the game more without really knowing if it helps ("This might help" / "You should try" / whatever). If yes then I'd be quite interested in the specs of that machine actually
    EDIT: Oh and just adding that the non-steam demo and the *cough* version of the game did not help everyone, only some people say that their performance got better but there's a lot of people who say otherwise
    EDIT2: Just noticed that there's a "netbook mode" in the local settings file even though there's not supposed to be one in this game. Anyone tried that? Kinda worried it might do horrible things to my game if I'll enable it...
  • Cardenius wrote:
    GraveD wrote:

... on a PC where you were able to reproduce them...
    Did they actually manage to get one of those? Because from what I've seen so far they are just trying to optimize the game more without really knowing if it helps ("This might help" / "You should try" / whatever). If yes then I'd be quite interested in the specs of that machine actually
    EDIT: Oh and just adding that the non-steam demo and the *cough* version of the game did not help everyone, only some people say that their performance got better but there's a lot of people who say otherwise

yeah the I have the same fps drops in the steam version and non steam version.

specs:
    phenom 2 1100t x6
    8gb ram
    gtx 550 ti
  • It seems to me that there are at least three types of issues regarding the frame-rate.

#1 - micro-stutters (stable fps but jittery hiccups every once in a while)

#2 - frame-rate drops during heavy combat (e.g. going from a stable 60FPS to ~25FPS)

#3 - random and nonsensical frame-rate drops every couple of seconds (e.g. going from a stable 60FPS to a single-digit frame-rate for no apparent reason)

With the steam (original) version, I suffer from issues #2 & #3, whilst switching to the pirated version does away with the random frame-rate drops (i.e. issue #3). So, don't expect the non-steam version(s) to magically remedy the poor performance, but it can, nevertheless, deal with other problems that some of us are experiencing. For me, it has made the game playable at least.

:)
  • Cardenius wrote:
    EDIT2: Just noticed that there's a "netbook mode" in the local settings file even though there's not supposed to be one in this game. Anyone tried that? Kinda worried it might do horrible things to my game if I'll enable it...

I Tried it, it puts the camera a bit closer, no change in performance tho.
  • HomicideHomicide Posts: 1,071
    Cardenius wrote:

I Tried it, it puts the camera a bit closer, no change in performance tho.

A runic Dev actually stated this was deprecated, and just left over from TL1, so i would expect it doesnt work properly at all.
    ...but when we stop acting civil and start calling people names, we're no longer interacting in the spirit of Runic Games.

Zepheyr ~ 2012
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    KirasiN91 wrote:
    Wujek, I told you already, if there´s a bug with the renderer even if you had 10 cores running the game it would still have those problems.

Untrue. If the game was utilizing all CPU cores instead of just one, then clearly the load on the first would be lessened. Bug or not, Torchlight 2 is not optimized for multicore function computers.
  • capa14capa14 Posts: 116
    Hum... I will try to get this THETA version to see of the FPS drops in fights happens and post back.
    EDIT: What version you tried? the v1.9.5.1 or the updated 1.11.5.1?

If it really get rid of the problem then i think its a valid option for the devs to see whats different from one code to another.

Like i said, the problems occur OFFLINE too, so disabling whatever logging on the next update wont resolve my problem, unless there are offline logs too...

As others have stated too, maybe its the compression of the PAK file... When the fights starts it have to uncompress the damned particles and whatever is needed to run the fight. That moment the CPU and GPU almost stops and wait for the files transference and you know what happens... thats my guess.
    Maybe if we could make the EXE access the \media folder directly would be nice, at least to eliminate this possibility!

Again, maybe that will not help at all... but our role here is to make a brainstorm to help them (devs), find out what really is.

Travis, please consider all options, as you said, we are in a world where the most unlikely could be the problem :D

My Specs:
    CPU: Phenom II x 6 1090T Black, 3.2 Ghz http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=640&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
    MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#specifications
    Memory: 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
    Graphic: AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 Core: 880Mhz Memory: 1375
    CCC Version: 12.8
    Catalyst App Profiles: 12.9 CAP 1
    "Battles that could have been memorable, turned into our worst nightmare in stop motion" - CAPA
    ASUS M4A87TD; AMD Phenom II x 6 1090T Black 3.2 Ghz ; AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 880 Mhz/1375 Mhz; 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
  • We're not doing the patch tonight :) Not after LAST weekend's 3AM patch debacle.
    Next week is the target. Testing!

At any rate, I don't expect this patch will solve EVERYONE'S problem, so I don't want to give that impression.

One thing I have been noticing - lots of people are turing on COMBATLOG.

COMBATLOG IS INSANELY EXPENSIVE!
    IF YOU HAVE COMBATLOG ON AND ARE EXPERIENCING PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS, PLEASE, PLEASE TURN IT OFF!
    what the heck is combatlog, can u please explain in detail and what I will miss by turning off?
  • NinesNines Posts: 33
    Zepheyr wrote:
    KirasiN91 wrote:
    Bug or not, Torchlight 2 is not optimized for multicore function computers.
    It's not optimized for single core either. :lol:
    Actually, i get the same problem, as you are: cold GPU, stuttering and lag in fights, but.. i can't complain on this, because single core processors is long gone. However, even Crysis 2 ran better on my PC (not my video), than TL2. Sad but true.
    Darkkrows wrote:
    what the heck is combatlog, can u please explain in detail and what I will miss by turning off?
    Seems like combat log is turned off by default.
    My Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\local_settings.txt
    COMBAT LOG :0
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    Nines wrote:
    Actually, i get the same problem, as you are: cold GPU, stuttering and lag in fights, but.. i can't complain on this, because single core processors is long gone. However, even Crysis 2 ran better on my PC (not my video), than TL2. Sad but true.

Yes, it is sad but true. :lol:

I play Fallout 3 and NV with the ultra high resolution texture pack that makes my GPU fan spin like a jet engine, but my CPU experiences less stress than when I'm playing TL2. I actually had to install 4 high-powered fans after the heat (and my overclocking) killed one of my video cards :D But all the while my CPU was nice and cool.
  • capa14 wrote:

As others have stated too, maybe its the compression of the PAK file... When the fights starts it have to uncompress the damned particles and whatever is needed to run the fight. That moment the CPU and GPU almost stops and wait for the files transference and you know what happens... thats my guess.
    Maybe if we could make the EXE access the \media folder directly would be nice, at least to eliminate this possibility!
    Yea I've been saying that before but apparently "everything is uncompressed during the loading" or something like that. What I find interesting is that this game is basically updated TL1 where the pak compression trick actually helped people with their problems. Plus if it is unpacked during the loading, then the uncompressed pak should atleast help with the loading times which to be fair are quite long when it comes to the open areas or even larger dungeons (and I'm pretty **** sure my game freezes for half a second everytime I use some spell for the first time during the session so I'm not really sure about the whole "its already unpacked" thing)
  • Greetings,

Just regged an account for the sake of posting.

My specs,
    Asus 580GTX Matrix platinum.
    i7-2600k
    Corsair red vengeance 1833 mhz 2x4g
    Intel's 500~ ssd 120g
    P67-Sabertooth motherboard.

I get 100-120 fps while running idle and when killing 3-5 monsters. But when striking a group of 6+ monsters with two others makes the fps drop an insane amount, It drops down to at least 20-30 which for me is quite... frustrating and is ruining my game experience.
    As far as I am concerned the game should run flawless on my rig. I also had the opportunity to test a 690 but with the same results, same good ol' fps drops in fights..

Worth mentioning that Diablo 3 ran smooth with maximum settings and all upped down with this card, Crysis 1&2 ran with highest settings.
    World of warcraft with highest settings and everything topped, Titan with highest settings - Even Path of exile ran smooth..

But TL2 is a complete mess, I seriously hope you sort out this matter soon because from what I can see there's people with rigs who could start this game twice times with max settings and run them all at the same and shouldn't experience issues.
    I did read through the whole thread and I have faith in Runic games, that's not the issue.. However.. i did get extremely annoyed when Travis pulled out the "It's normal that it drops during heavy fights" comment.
    Yeah perhaps it is. But with a rig that stomps on your 'Recommended Settings' 5 times over should not have these problems occurring on them - In fact it shouldn't even give away a single fps.

By all means, It is on your end Runic and it's good that we already established that - The statement you made that i mentioned earlier needs to be taken away for good. It is not we who should beg you as a company to fix our problems when we already double checked the requirements that was needed to run the game, that's all we need to do. If you put out a product that does not work with the options you set them for then the problem is you and not the customer.

Sorry, this might have came out the wrong way, I mean no harm or to be rude(Very late were I am writing this.) - and in no way am i saying that you're not working your **** off to get it to work, I highly appreciate it.(Not a pirate, I bought the game).
    It's just annoying to see you respond like that to someone whom has a rig who runs your recommended requirements in circles when it is in fact your issues/problems that made this happen in the first place, not ours.

-Q
  • capa14capa14 Posts: 116
    Ok... Tested the THETA "non-steam" versions.

Got the v1.9.5.1 same problem as the Original TL2, even worse sometimes... So updated with the theta patch to 1.11.5.1 turns out the version was a cracked update of a steam version as you have to run Torchlight2_steam.exe, if you run the Torchlight2.exe you'll get a version 1.10.2.2...
    Anyway... FPS DROPS IN MID TO LARGE BATTLES in all of them... samething as the Original(bought game), at least on my system...

My Specs:
    CPU: Phenom II x 6 1090T Black, 3.2 Ghz http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=640&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
    MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/#specifications
    Memory: 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
    Graphic: AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 Core: 880Mhz Memory: 1375
    CCC Version: 12.8
    Catalyst App Profiles: 12.9 CAP 1
    "Battles that could have been memorable, turned into our worst nightmare in stop motion" - CAPA
    ASUS M4A87TD; AMD Phenom II x 6 1090T Black 3.2 Ghz ; AMD XFX Radeon 6970 2GB GDDR5 880 Mhz/1375 Mhz; 4 x 2GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600Mhz
  • Guys, could anyone confirm that me getting half the framerate performance playing TL2 on max as compared to D3 on max is indeed unexpectedly poor performance? And is similar to the problem a lot of people have been having? Thanks!

I mean... if I've getting slightly better framerates playing Metro 2033 on max as compred to TL2 on max... something's gotta be wrong with that right? :?
    When I play Diablo 3 Act 3 - the siege on the keep - on max settings (all graphics settings enabled and maxed out), my framerate = 41.453fps

When I play TL2 on max settings the very beginning of Torchlight 2, my framerate = 20.279fps

I get better framerates with Metro 2033 on max (DX11 w/ Tesselation, PhysX, max AA and AF) = 21.159fps

:shock:

My laptop specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.30GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT640M <<< ("M" means it's a mobile card for laptops. totally different GPU line from the PC GPUs)
    Max Resolution: 1366x768
  • capa14 wrote:
    turns out the version was a cracked update of a steam version as you have to run Torchlight2_steam.exe, if you run the Torchlight2.exe you'll get a version 1.10.2.2...

Steam and non-steam T2 releases are labeled differently. Download the 1.11.5.3 theta update and run the game via Torchlight2.exe. The game will display the version as 1.11.2.3, but it contains all the changes listed in 1.11.5.3. changelog. Running the game via Torchlight2_steam.exe re-introduces the problem of micro-stuttering for me.
  • I solved my fps problems.

I opened up Ogre.log and saw this little bit: "RenderSystem Option: Rendering Device = Monitor-1-Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"

I figured that isn't right so I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and forced TL2 to use the GT640M instead of the integrated graphics.

Lo and behold, I went from 20fps to a solid 55fps :D
    When I play Diablo 3 Act 3 - the siege on the keep - on max settings (all graphics settings enabled and maxed out), my framerate = 41.453fps

When I play TL2 on max settings the very beginning of Torchlight 2, my framerate = 20.279fps

I get better framerates with Metro 2033 on max (DX11 w/ Tesselation, PhysX, max AA and AF) = 21.159fps

:shock:

My laptop specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM @ 2.30GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT640M <<< ("M" means it's a mobile card for laptops. totally different GPU line from the PC GPUs)
    Max Resolution: 1366x768
  • I solved my fps problems.

I opened up Ogre.log and saw this little bit: "RenderSystem Option: Rendering Device = Monitor-1-Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"

I figured that isn't right so I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and forced TL2 to use the GT640M instead of the integrated graphics.

Lo and behold, I went from 20fps to a solid 55fps :D
    Oh congratulations.
    I checked ogre.log too but everything seems to be normal so no solution for me :?
  • Oh congratulations.
    I checked ogre.log too but everything seems to be normal so no solution for me

Same here. I have Asus k50In, nVidia g102m 512 Mb, Intel core duo 2,2 GHz. I know my Graphics Card is kinda hmm... Weak, but I thought I passed T2 requirements easly. I play on lowest configuration in T2. I have everyghing switched off except Rim Lighting, and Hardwer Skinning. When I'm fighting small packs of mobs this is ok. Like 35 to 60 fps - it depends on Lighting in the dungeon. But massive fights are kinda pain. 10 - 20 fps. Realy uncomfortable. I'll be realy glad if there's any solution - sometime, somewhere...
    Steam ID: Spitfire
  • axoaxo Posts: 192
    I think I got something to help the FPS a bit.

I've read about people trying to change some settings in the local_settings.txt which is actually a good thing but what I have figured out, is that this file gets overwritten every time you start up the game (maybe not all settings but some of them).

So what I did is to change the MAX_PARTICLES : to 1000 instead of 10000. Yes you can even set it to 0 but when you kill an enemy, they just disappear, there's like no animation or whatsoever so yeah, 1000 is good.
    I have also set VSYNCH to 1.

The thing about this file is.. to right click on it / properties and check "Read Only" at the bottom, this way, these settings won't change back once you start up the game (note that if you do any change under Settings in the game, it will work until you restart the game. It won't save your settings since the file is Read Only).

Im pretty sure that if we continue to work with that file, we can find a good workaround until Runic release an update/fix.

So far, I've been playing 1hour this morning with absolutely no FPS drop. If I set the MAX_PARTICLES to 10000, I get FPS drop when killing 4-5mobs.

Well that is just my 2 cents.. it might not work for everyone but give it a shot I guess!
    2249901424.png
  • axo wrote:
    I think I got something to help the FPS a bit.

I've read about people trying to change some settings in the local_settings.txt which is actually a good thing but what I have figured out, is that this file gets overwritten every time you start up the game (maybe not all settings but some of them).

So what I did is to change the MAX_PARTICLES : to 1000 instead of 10000. Yes you can even set it to 0 but when you kill an enemy, they just disappear, there's like no animation or whatsoever so yeah, 1000 is good.
    I have also set VSYNCH to 1.

The thing about this file is.. to right click on it / properties and check "Read Only" at the bottom, this way, these settings won't change back once you start up the game (note that if you do any change under Settings in the game, it will work until you restart the game. It won't save your settings since the file is Read Only).

Im pretty sure that if we continue to work with that file, we can find a good workaround until Runic release an update/fix.

So far, I've been playing 1hour this morning with absolutely no FPS drop. If I set the MAX_PARTICLES to 10000, I get FPS drop when killing 4-5mobs.

Well that is just my 2 cents.. it might not work for everyone but give it a shot I guess!

This actually worked for me, but I found an odd bug or I don't even know if it's a bug since the particles were lowered. When I enter a dungeon like the witherways, my skills do not show up, everything is invisible lol, even breaking pots XD
  • So I finally got myself to beat the first playthrough ( thank **** the last boss didn't summon more than 3 adds at a time ). Now I think I'll hang around the mapworks until they fix it (totally love it btw).
    Tried the max_particles trick, can't confirm if it really helps as I wasn't checking fps but it felt a little smoother so I'd recommend to everyone with problems to atleast try it :)
  • Cardenius wrote:
    I'd recommend to everyone with problems to atleast try it :)

No change for me. I think I should wait for patchfix. If the fix won't work for me I'll blame my graphics card and I'll throw my notebook through the window. **** nVidia g102m ****.
    Steam ID: Spitfire
This discussion has been closed.