Hackers ruining the game already

BlindBlind Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
Was just playing my level 8 **** outlander on Elite mode in a public game. Doing a quest, then all of a sudden a level 100 joins with obviously hacked stats and gear, and was spawning bosses on top of me trying to kill me. That didn't take long lol.. disappointed..

Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/zEaEs
http://imgur.com/yRFwC
http://imgur.com/jb77P

Guess I'll be playing single player from now on.

Comments

• Sorry to say it, but I was expecting this to happen. The only way playing online will ever work is if we save the charactes on the server, not offline. Sure, you can ban that guy from ever joining your game again, but what about the next one? And the one after that? And the one after that? For all of Diablo 3's flaws, it had at least the online-bit near flawless. Uh, when it finally worked. :roll:
  • D3 was anything but near flawless. They lost a large percentage of their fan base in the first two weeks due to hackers jacking accounts, taking items and gold. Not to mention, D3 is ****.
  • You don't need to go back to single player, just make a group with people before hand and make a private game. If you need someone to play with send me a pm.

The fact that hackers can PK you with monster summons is really concerning though... Hope that gets fixed fast.
  • Nice try, D2jsp trolls, but here in the real world (outside your carefully choreographed and contrived setups) everyone is fine and hacking isn't a problem.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly we fully expected people to hack like crazy. With moddability, how could we not? That's the primary reason for a friend/block function.
    In the future we are hoping to introduce guild functionality such that you can have a pre-approved, administrated 'group' that you can play with, without having to individually friend a load of people.
    That way you won't have to go through the tedium of adding individual friends ( Which is also why we do Steam friends linking, um, when our account system isn't being beaten to pieces ), but still play with people you don't really know.
    And when they are ejected for cheating, they are ejected from the ENTIRE group.
    That's the plan anyway.
  • Mushroom wrote:
    Nice try, D2jsp trolls, but here in the real world (outside your carefully choreographed and contrived setups) everyone is fine and hacking isn't a problem.

Guess you'll change your mind when it happens to you.
  • Honestly we fully expected people to hack like crazy. With moddability, how could we not? That's the primary reason for a friend/block function.
    In the future we are hoping to introduce guild functionality such that you can have a pre-approved, administrated 'group' that you can play with, without having to individually friend a load of people.
    That way you won't have to go through the tedium of adding individual friends ( Which is also why we do Steam friends linking, um, when our account system isn't being beaten to pieces ), but still play with people you don't really know.
    And when they are ejected for cheating, they are ejected from the ENTIRE group.
    That's the plan anyway.

Ah man...that would be GREAT!!! :D I didn't think anybody would be able to pk since it's a mutual system...but some douche decides to do boss spawns on people. Anyway...keep up the forward thinking with this game and we'll be sure to have a multiplayer system that is very balance for not being a closed server. :)
  • WyzakWyzak Posts: 180
    Easiest way around this is to only play with people that you know. I'm not really planning on playing public games ever.
  • SDASDA Posts: 16
    Honestly we fully expected people to hack like crazy. With moddability, how could we not? That's the primary reason for a friend/block function.

That function doesn't work properly I belief, as this 'hacker' still can join the games where he is being blocked by all the players.
  • SDA wrote:

That function doesn't work properly I belief, as this 'hacker' still can join the games where he is being blocked by all the players.

How exactly do you know this?
  • That boss in screenshot 3 looks awesome. Can't wait to fight it :)
    Omae wa mo shindeiru
  • plndaplnda Posts: 54
    You can't really call it hacking, the game saves your data locally. so with some [insert random memory editing program here] you can alter basically everything.
    Thats the problem with saving data offline ..
  • Hi OP.

I think it's not a surprise that the game is "already hacked". Though there is no secure server side system, it was only a question of minutes. Well as pointed out above, even in games with close servers, it's just a matter of hours.
    There's only one point in Hacking TL II. Being the first one. Do the crazy stuff as the first one to get some attention. I think in a couple of day, the craziest hacks are done and there isn't much more attention to gain. And as in my opinions there are no other points in hacking than that, I expect hacks to become lesser everyday because they simply have no gain. In any way.
    It's ok to go back to SP. Or play with some of the buddies from the forum. I would invite you to play with me, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now to play at all.

Good luck (be sure I'm jelly that you can play^^) and have fun.
  • ormaorma Posts: 18
    Did you try to set level limits? That could weed out some of them silly level 100's...
  • muxenlemuxenle Posts: 112
    you could also set a level a limit to your group. Of course it won't stop somebody with hacked stats from joining, but will at least stop higher levels.
    Your game will ACTIVELY reject people who are on your block list and circumvent the server, or who are outside the level range.
    As in, your client notes that they circumvented it and boots them right out.
  • SDASDA Posts: 16
    SDA wrote:

How exactly do you know this?

I've been in two of those by the time. ;)

Funny thing, there is actually a HC game titled "Blocking doesn't work".
  • DodotsDodots Posts: 109
    I'm just avoiding multiplayer with randoms, which is a shame because I'd love to try 6 player co-op.
    For troubleshooting purposes: i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz - GTX 680 (latest driver) - 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows 7 64 - Installed on an SSD
  • I wish there was an option to auto block cheaters/hackers lol.

Was peacefully fishing in the town/enclave when some level 1 zerker appears outta nowhere and spawns a bunch of bosses..........

Lucky I was somewhat fast enough to quit before I got attacked/died (this was elite **** mode) would've been furious if the a**hole did get to me
    76561198041572742.png
  • so what? its not like there is a severe death penalty. Just block them and move on. I dont see the big deal
    Yay, TL2!!!
  • gameqb11 wrote:
    so what? its not like there is a severe death penalty. Just block them and move on. I dont see the big deal

**** mode.
    When someone logs into your game, if you see a red (!) after their name in chat, it thinks they MIGHT be a cheater.
    You can also inspect them, and there is a yellow warning symbol that you can mouseover to see how we think they might be cheating.
    Blind wrote:
    gameqb11 wrote:
    so what? its not like there is a severe death penalty. Just block them and move on. I dont see the big deal

**** mode.
    Wait, people play **** in public games?
    That's super-scary.
    Which I guess is pretty ****!
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    OP, when creating publick games, always put a level range limit, so things like this dont hapen
  • Blind wrote:
    gameqb11 wrote:

**** mode.
    Wait, people play **** in public games?
    That's super-scary.
    Which I guess is pretty ****!

I agree! They're far braver than me!
  • BuioBuio Posts: 338

Is it hard to program in a function to stop console commands, modding or game-initiated cheating for online games? Do Runic allow third-party hacks too, or is that against the user licence agreement?

But yeah, it's good with a block function. Like later on, if my high level legit **** character gets killed by a cheater, I can block the guy that did it! Woohoo!
  • Cody900Cody900 Posts: 144
    Yeah this is no surprise, just block them. He's played for 30 minutes and already has nothing left to do in the game, he'll be gone very soon, his own fault.

What makes me happy about that screenshot though, is that there actually IS gear for level 100s now. That was the biggest failing of TL1, gear stopping at like level 40~, now at least I know getting to 100 and gear hunting is actually useful.
  • JathraJathra Posts: 573
    Buio wrote:

Is it hard to program in a function to stop console commands, modding or game-initiated cheating for online games? Do Runic allow third-party hacks too, or is that against the user licence agreement?

But yeah, it's good with a block function. Like later on, if my high level legit **** character gets killed by a cheater, I can block the guy that did it! Woohoo!

This game has a EULA? I don't remember agreeing to one. This isn't a MMO.
  • Not a surprise, but it doesn't really bother me... this game is a different beast than D3 entirely when it comes to gameplay expectations and economy. I would' not sweat it... let them "hack" and just avoid them. They really are just ruining the game for themselves by hacking it that way... I mean how much fun do you really think that is? The game is a lot more satisfying when you play though it legitimetly... but if you don't want to do that you can always use console cheats. It's all up to the player!
  • Morons lol why can't they just play the game and mod it? If i hacked my toons now I would be bored of the game in hours with no challenge or point loot hunting? Im level 32 and having a blast! No need to cheat!
    If this is your first time at loot club...you have to loot!!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa43 ... adPitt.jpg