Hackers ruining the game already

Comments

• Sad to tell you but Torchlight was built as a single player game.
    They added an OPTION to play multiplayer, but it only TRUELY works if you playing with trusted friends, unless you dont care to play with modded and/or cheaters.

So, unless you dont care about cheaters (which i do), try finding people who you can trust (if you havent any friends playing) and add them to your friend list, playing with random people **** here, saddly.
  • to be honest im kinda sad at runics response.... Pretty much well make a feature in the future that will let you block and ignore hacker... but to block and ignore them youll have to play with them at least once... So they at least get to ruin your fun once. I would like to see runic look at this seriously and try and find a good solution that gets rid of the hackers. This game is amazing and i dont want hackers to ruin it!
  • JackalheadJackalhead Posts: 1,687
    Easy solution, in the next patch add an option to disable console commands when setting up the match. Have it checked by default.

Oh and also... ROFL!!!
  • Jackalhead wrote:
    Easy solution, in the next patch add an option to disable console commands when setting up the match. Have it checked by default.

That actually seems like a really good idea. I could possibly see where it would hinder a group of friends who trust each other and sometimes need the console to mess around/fix a bug, but then if you are in that situation would leave the option unchecked anyway. For everyone else it would be a good way to prevent griefing, especially on ****.
  • Aside from lvl range and difficulty, wonder if its possible to add a dropdown box or checkbox or something that you can set to no mods/console cheats allowed? so then you can join or create coop games that is just the base game only if you prefer to do so.

just a thought
  • Jackalhead wrote:

Please Runic Games implement this feature!
  • I think I'd be perfectly happy playing this game single player, never interacting with anybody, ever.
    The option is there to LAN locally. The option is there to play online with others remotely, with options to exclude others.
    These are all good things.
  • sadronsadron Posts: 809
    edited September 2012
    Honestly how do these losers even find this fun? You took all of the effort out of playing the game. -Comment removed by Moderator-
  • TenTen Posts: 395
    I'd never play **** in an open game anyway. not that the hackers bother me, just that i like to know i can count on other player's ability when playing co-op ****.
    ___ten2.png___
  • Hackers??? They are just using console commands built in the game
  • WestonWeston Posts: 1,004
    rockfrog wrote:
    Hi OP.

I think it's not a surprise that the game is "already hacked". Though there is no secure server side system, it was only a question of minutes. Well as pointed out above, even in games with close servers, it's just a matter of hours.
    There's only one point in Hacking TL II. Being the first one. Do the crazy stuff as the first one to get some attention. I think in a couple of day, the craziest hacks are done and there isn't much more attention to gain. And as in my opinions there are no other points in hacking than that, I expect hacks to become lesser everyday because they simply have no gain. In any way.
    It's ok to go back to SP. Or play with some of the buddies from the forum. I would invite you to play with me, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now to play at all.

Good luck (be sure I'm jelly that you can play^^) and have fun.

I disagree, hacking will continue and actually will get worse as all the kiddie griefers take hold and want to grief other unknown players to get their jollies. I've seen it in many games and TL2 will not be the exception here.

Personally I don't really care as I will block them as they show up and if the system works then they'll be blocked and eventually we'll run out of griefers to block, but for those that don't block them, well, those will be prime targets for the griefers.

I do believe that console commands should have been limited to either games that the user created themselves or to single player game, they shouldn't be allowed into a multiplayer game unless the person who creates the game has specifically checked a box to allow it. I think that Runic should change the way that it's currently working.
  • There is not hacking, since the game allow you to modify your character easily, and I prize Runic for that. Stop this nonsense of requesting a system that requires to be online to keep your saves somewhere else and not in your PC, just because some people are jerks. Even if was complete impossible for a player to break any rules of gameplay, they will still break the social rules. Yes, I saw called legit and bored players going on low level games to spoil their fun. Killing mobs, throwing free stuff, been anti-social and such.

And "randoms" is become a silly pejorative for online games. Don't forget that you are "random" to someone else. :roll:
  • The first patch is supposed to disable the console from multiplayer games, so at least then they won't be able to spawn monsters on you.
  • When someone logs into your game, if you see a red (!) after their name in chat, it thinks they MIGHT be a cheater.
    You can also inspect them, and there is a yellow warning symbol that you can mouseover to see how we think they might be cheating.

I have a question regarding the bolded part.

What constitutes a yellow warning? Would giving my alts high end gear that they meet the requirements for be considered as "suspicious?"

I ask because I made 3 Embermages now (don't ask, lol), so I have access to 2 of the Uniques given at the final quest. If I use them on my lowbie 3rd Embermage, will that trigger a yellow flag on me since I am using items I don't normally have access to until much later in the game? I'm assuming it won't but I just wanted to make sure...I don't want to make another Embermage. :?

Thanks in advance.
  • amb2010amb2010 Posts: 2,946
    Angelus wrote:
    -snip-
    If they legitimately meet the requirements then no, you won't get flagged since that is by no means "suspicious", at least to the game. Based on some people's logic here they might just jump to the conclusion you spawned the item but who cares what they think xD

If you gave yourself the added stat points to let you wear that gear, then yes you will get flagged. The thing only takes your level and perhaps gear, then figures out the appropriate stats and skills. If someone is outside that range, they get flagged. If they aren't, then cool beans. Things like 100 skill points at level 10, 10000 in each stat etc.. will get flagged. A level 12 Embermage with the proper amount of spent skill and stat points wearing gear they meet the "X stat, Y stat" requirement on should be fine, even if that gear doesn't show up till later on.
    luufx.png
    Disclaimer: Above berating does not apply to those with a brain (usually).
  • I've used the reset skills command, ONLY to get my first skill point back as an Engineer that was placed into a skill I was never going to use. (and I forgot to respec before I lost the ability to get it back).
    I don't intend to use the console commands again for any other reason. If this marks me as a cheater, so be it, but I don't have the time to reroll.

@Angelus: Sharing legit items from higher characters is an intended feature of the game. You won't be flagged.
  • You can't even play **** public games in Diablo 3 without someone trying to **** you over, which supposedly has a secure server, why would you think it's a good idea to play **** public games in Torchlight 2 when you already knew that all this so called "hacking" was a real possibility?

In Diablo 3, i tried to join a public game **** nightmare difficulty on my level 30 barbarian right after beating normal mode. As soon as i entered the party, i was placed in the middle of town, and it was flooded with champs and all kinds of mobs and i nearly died. There was 2 level 50 players luring mobs into the town to deliberately kill people joining the game. This was before they added the portal that separates the town from the hostile area. You just can't trust anyone, and when your playing co-op **** your really taking a risk if their a complete stranger.
  • targrentargren Posts: 495
    Blind wrote:
    Mushroom wrote:
    Nice try, D2jsp trolls, but here in the real world (outside your carefully choreographed and contrived setups) everyone is fine and hacking isn't a problem.

Guess you'll change your mind when it happens to you.

Considering your story is nearly word for word identical with a similar claim made by another closed-server troll, I've decided to provide the forums here with my old truck, to hold all the grains of salt we'll need...
  • Just wanted to let everybody know that we are disabling the console in multiplayer.
    Marsh wrote:
    Just wanted to let everybody know that we are disabling the console in multiplayer.

Sweet news. Hopefully we can still use it in single player though.
  • adamperinadamperin Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    you can use it in single player
  • adamperin wrote:

but then they can just cheat and have crazy stats and kill all monsters in you're path so they destroy the fun.

Disabling the console command would make it so much easier for people to play
  • sadronsadron Posts: 809
    I'm thinking you can prevent them from coming in if you cap the level range near yourself.
  • PokeyPokey Posts: 1,031
    Pr0ph3cyX wrote:
    adamperin wrote:

but then they can just cheat and have crazy stats and kill all monsters in you're path so they destroy the fun.

No. Disabling it takes away ANY choice the player has. This game doesn't try to pose limitations on the player, if people want to cheat they will, it has no bearing on you at all.
    “WITH A FEW SMALL MODIFICATIONS, ANY CANOE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!”

Dirty.gifPensive.gifFlirty.gif
    Pokey wrote:
    Pr0ph3cyX wrote:
    adamperin wrote:

No. Disabling it takes away ANY choice the player has. This game doesn't try to pose limitations on the player, if people want to cheat they will, it has no bearing on you at all.

+1

The game automatically flags cheaters, so you'll know when one is in your game. Just see what console command they used and block them if you don't like it.
  • Marsh wrote:
    Just wanted to let everybody know that we are disabling the console in multiplayer.

Will it still be available in LAN games?

Let me clarify. I agree that cheating shouldn't be allowed in INTERNET play HOWEVER, if I run my OWN LAN server, then I want to have full control over how it's played. A better idea would be to disable the console on INTERNET games and place an option to allow or disallow cheats for LAN games.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, too busy playing with friends I know and trust to really worry about this. Travis, awesome news about the guild functionality! ^_^ *hugs his guildies*
    ItfooQF.png
  • Marsh wrote:
    I gotta admit this is kind of disappointing... I understand the reasoning behind it, but please allow it to be usable in LAN games, at least.

From a modding perspective, being able to use the console during a multiplayer game, like when showing someone a work-in-progress, is an extremely valuable feature.

Please? Pretty please?
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    Just mod in whatever you want to show them into your stash or something and trade it to them.
    ItfooQF.png
  • That's just sad. Some people don't have lives I guess.