Hackers ruining the game already

Comments

• That's not enough Travis.

When the so called hacker joins the game and summons monsters on top of you and kills your **** character, the damage has already been done. Blocking him or banning him does nothing except prevent him from ruining your next game. The hacker's primary objective is already accomplished.

And he moves on to the next character, and does the same thing.

The solution you are suggesting is that after hundreds maybe thousands of characters this hacker kills, maybe he will be banned by the tiny percentage of players that ran into him. Then he can just start all over fresh and go at people again. And keep in mind, their isn't only going to be one hacker or griefer.

Your lacked stance on a global ban/report feature will make it so no one ever experiments with new people and only stick with people they trust. I don't know about you, but that doesn't necessarily foster a strong community. I read the interview from earlier that stated you guys had a low price point to bring in many many people into the torchlight universe. This unchecked griefing is contradictory to that.

You guys have to implement some sort of global report feature, or a global ban. League of Legends has a similar system where if enough people report the person they actually get into some serious issues and are prevented from continuing.
  • that actually sounds fun. I'm level 33, maybe I should join level 15 rooms and try to do that, lol.

PK'ing in D3 was actually the only fun I had with it, which was very rare actually.
  • Another suggestion might be, don't play **** for awhile ? :P
  • MeemoMeemo Posts: 644
    Another suggestion might be, don't play **** for awhile ? :P

Better suggestion, don't play **** online unless its with friends :>
    fs_overall.png
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    why are you people silly enough to play **** elite with unpassworded games in teh first place?

take their advice, make a group to play with, password your games, and enjoy.
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • why not let room creators decide if console commands should be allowed or not? People should be able to play however they want. The beautify of Torchlight 2 after the nightmare that was D3 was that it's tailored for individual and playing with friends. the good old personal hack and slash that you can tweak and mod as you please. I'm only play T2 w/ my bf and friends I know. I'm asking for console to be an option and not just straight up disabled. Because my friends don't live near me, they can't come to my house and lan with me. So internet play is our only option xD Just seem like an extra hassle, if we wanted to test something in group play, we won't be able to.
  • To all the people who say that the steps they are taking to combat this isn't enough...honestly what do you expect a company of 35 employees to do about it?

If you want your private closed servers do what the private WoW server community does. Fork over the money to host your own servers, the tools to do so are available.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    In a few minutes, you'll be incapable of using the console in MP, which will make it less straightforward for folks to pop in and grief you before you get a chance to boot 'em out.
  • RhondusRhondus Posts: 141
    thumbs up for travis!
  • In a few minutes, you'll be incapable of using the console in MP, which will make it less straightforward for folks to pop in and grief you before you get a chance to boot 'em out.

Awesome idea! Glad to see you guys are on it.

If this was in d3 it'd take Blizzard like 6 months to fix. :lol:
  • muxenlemuxenle Posts: 112
    In a few minutes, you'll be incapable of using the console in MP, which will make it less straightforward for folks to pop in and grief you before you get a chance to boot 'em out.

as others have suggested any chance of being able to get a check mark or something to allow or disallow console in MP? And is for the general lobby, and LAN?

also even with this if somebody with modded stats comes in and you don't notice and manages to steam roll everything just boot them, and than reroll the world. No peremant harm done.
  • ValiskValisk Posts: 372
    edited September 2012
    The dude in those screenshots in the first post joined my **** game while we were in town, summoned a bunch of "Dark Alchemists" (which, I can only assume is the final boss) and promptly proceeded to murder us. I even got the achievement for defeating the Alchemist.

Thanks a lot, ****. :evil:

It was pretty hilarious, though, I must admit. I left to get a drink, came back not five minutes later and I was dead. Surrounded by enemies. While in town.
  • Does the spawning of monsters mark you as a cheater?

I would really like to grind vs. boss monsters in single-player on an alt character without being marked a cheater.
    Empty lil' sig
  • It's even more awkward, when you wanted to take an epic adventure with your friends, but found out your friends used hacks too :cry: :cry: :cry: Don't want to play with them but they are the only friends to play with.
  • JackalheadJackalhead Posts: 1,687

Awesome idea! Glad to see you guys are on it.

If this was in d3 it'd take Blizzard like 6 months to fix. :lol:

It wouldn't be in D3. Jay Wilson hates the concept of freedom.
  • Wish runic would have a more assertive roll against these hackers
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    I wish people would learn that just because your friends use hacks has little to no effect on your game if you ask them nicely not to use hacked characters. If your friends won't do that, time to get better friends?

Love the stories about the griefings, though. Wish someone would do it to me, sounds funny as ****...oh wait, I don't play in pub games. You know, I have nothing against public games in most circumstances-they can be great-but I always always go into them knowing full well what might happen.

I accept the fact that hackers and cheaters might jump in my game. I had this happen plenty of times in Borderlands. If it wasn't affecting me, I ignored it. Most of the time, it had little to no effect. I could care less. If it got bad, I left. Simple as that. I also happened to make plenty of friends through pub games so I understand the attraction but it's gotten to the point where Runic 's attempts at explaining things to certain people is like talking to brick walls.
    ItfooQF.png
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    Zidders wrote:
    I wish people would learn that just because your friends use hacks has little to no effect on your game if you ask them nicely not to use hacked characters. If your friends won't do that, time to get better friends?

Love the stories about the griefings, though. Wish someone would do it to me, sounds funny as ****...oh wait, I don't play in pub games. You know, I have nothing against public games in most circumstances-they can be great-but I always always go into them knowing full well what might happen.

I accept the fact that hackers and cheaters might jump in my game. I had this happen plenty of times in Borderlands. If it wasn't affecting me, I ignored it. Most of the time, it had little to no effect. I could care less. If it got bad, I left. Simple as that. I also happened to make plenty of friends through pub games so I understand the attraction but it's gotten to the point where Runic 's attempts at explaining things to certain people is like talking to brick walls.

You sure do talk a lot about having friends to play with. Good for you buddy, I'm sure you guys have had many a frolicking adventure together.
  • guis pls

pls
  • gooby wrote:
    guis pls

pls

dollan no pls go
  • Hackers ruining your game already, not mine.

It all runs perfectly fine for me and my 2 friends playing MP. L2MF = Learn 2 Make Friends
  • step 1: stop doing public games
    step 2: invite some friends to play with
    step 3: ???
    step 4: profit

hate to be barer of bad news but, if you dont want stuff like that to happen then dont make your game public... also pretty sure you can set it so that " cheaters " cant access your game, this would stop anyone using hacks and such from accessing your game. Over all i'd have laughed it off and just went to a private room and solved that issue.

Easy solution also would be ability to " block " accounts from joining me, so if someone does this i can click them and click block and they can no longer see my server. I can see your point but on the flip side... its bound to happen in a game where modding tools are open to anyone that wants them.
  • D:

*goes back to playing*
  • Honestly we fully expected people to hack like crazy. With moddability, how could we not? That's the primary reason for a friend/block function.
    In the future we are hoping to introduce guild functionality such that you can have a pre-approved, administrated 'group' that you can play with, without having to individually friend a load of people.
    That way you won't have to go through the tedium of adding individual friends ( Which is also why we do Steam friends linking, um, when our account system isn't being beaten to pieces ), but still play with people you don't really know.
    And when they are ejected for cheating, they are ejected from the ENTIRE group.
    That's the plan anyway.
    Can't wait.
  • I think the biggest surprise to me is internet game uses local save file. This reminds me Diablo 1 which cheaters are all over the battlenet.
  • dozeydozey Posts: 267
    Blind wrote:
    Was just playing my level 8 **** outlander on Elite mode in a public game.

Ok I usually start out my 3rd shifts trying not to be mean from the get go, but this displays a basic lack of experience or pattern recognition for anyone who accesses the internet regularly enough to know that they want to be playing **** elite in a game like this.
    I don't think highways should have these cars on them.
    I'd rather bike to my destination. There'd be more room for us cyclists if there weren't these cars.
    They're getting to their destination faster than me and that bothers me. It devalues cycling.
    -KFP
  • GrowfGrowf Posts: 20
    Dead **** characters can be brought back to life. The character recovery instructions found here work on **** chars too. I didn't test it very much, but it seems to work even if you deleted the character, or if you died before the last patch, or both.

Some people might think this is cheating. Dead is dead, no matter what. That's fine, you don't have to use it. But if someone intentionally kills you in a non-pvp game, this is a way to undo the damage.

Now go have some unruinable fun with public elite ****! RAWR!
  • Public **** games are crazy for lots of reasons. The main one for me is dying due to lag. That stopped my D3 **** character real fast.

Around level 30 on my berserker I realized that I hated my current build and used a console command to reset the skills. I assume that will flag me as a potential cheater. But to me, rerolling to test or especially fix a spec is a big no-no. I wouldn't have bought the game if it was a closed server without full respecs. It was tolerable in D2 simply due to how fast it was to level to 80. It's pretty much my only major complaint with TL design. It's basically the minority forcing the majority to play a specific way and telling us how to get replay value and sometimes survivability in a game. It's really just a lazy design choice to force players to rerun old content.
  • It's basically the minority forcing the majority to play a specific way and telling us how to get replay value and sometimes survivability in a game. It's really just a lazy design choice to force players to rerun old content.
    nope and nope.
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg