Shek's Raze Build [Elite/HC Viable] (VIDEOS) 10/5 Patch1.12

Shek333Shek333 Posts: 120
edited December 2014 in Berserker Discussions
Raze the Roof

Bulletin:
10/5: Modified skills section to reflect Battle Standard Changes with patch 1.12
10/1: Uploaded video of my new zerker, Shek it Out, killing the Netherlord, on Elite HC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ga-5Nt9NY0
9/30: If you have recorded yourself wrecking dungeons using this build, message me a link to the YouTube video and I'll stick it on main post!
9/29: Using this build on elite ****. It is so fun! I love grouping with people and making them uncomfortable with how dangerously fast we blast through content.

PATCH 1.12 ANNOUNCEMENT:
Don't worry guys, the build still works fine and is still extremely viable. What's exciting about this patch though, is that it makes non-ability autoattack builds potentially viable, and that is an exciting prospect. Regardless, ability based builds, like this Raze build, are still fully functional. Instead of dropping your Battle Standard and magically having unlimited mana, you're going to have to socket a Rift Ember into your main weapon and autoattack every once in a while to quickly burst your mana back up to full. I just finished testing the build and I must say, I actually enjoy playing it more now. I'm autoattacking more frequently and I'm actually building up my rage bar and getting to enjoy super fast Raze frenzies when its full.

Message from Author (feel free to skip this part)
PW1J4.jpg
Howdy Everyone,

I hope this guide proves useful. This is currently one of the most viable builds for berserkers (though the meta is still in its infancy, and who knows what will be discovered). It's been a priveledge grouping with so many great players on my grindfest to level 100. Thank you everyone for your feedback on this guide, and for your help and support in game. I hope that this build works as well for you all as it has for me. Does this build work on NG+ Elite? Absolutely. Is this build a cookie cutter panacea that will work for everybody? Probably not. Every player is different, and this build isn't for everyone. It offers unbeatable single target DPS (boss killing), solid AoE damage for clearing trash, self-healing, heavy mobility, and good tankiness. It is completely ability based, so it requires a lot of mana regen and a lot of quick hotkey action. If you are the kind of player that prefers to left-click to victory, this build won't be enjoyable for you. If you are willing to micromanage about 3-7 different skills depending on the situation, and you have good enough micro that you can shadowburst effectively (burst in the best direction to not get mobbed and die on elite), this build will serve you well. Best of luck, and feedback is welcome.

Shek

The Build: (This build is flexible, this is how I use it)

http://i.imgur.com/SrQdL.jpg

**** Elite, Netherlord kill Lv. 52 (This video shows this build beating Netherlord on HC Elite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ga-5Nt9NY0

Level 100 Video [HD] (This video shows the build in action. Elite difficulty, Level 105 Mapworks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4i3HfV4ZQ&hd=1

And here's the low-def version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4i3HfV4ZQ

Video Preview: (This is a quick video I recorded with my embermage buddy. Remember multiplayer nerfs damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Cr6l7rE_A

My current stats/stuff as of 9/26:
http://i.imgur.com/91Og9.jpg

Update: Btw I have never respecced because I am a Diablo 2 junkie. But if i did respec I'd get rid of executioner, frenzy mastery, and glacial shatter. (i used the first two while leveling, and was curious what the last one did)

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Perks of this build:
Not gear dependent
Doesn't require you to use claws.
Extremely high single target DPS (Best single target DPS in game I think)
Not at all charge bar dependent
No need for health or mana potions (except rare instances)
Extremely fast dungeon clearing.

Drawbacks to this build:

Can get boring only using a few skills
Can get boring rarely filling your charge bar

SKILLS
This is a Berserker build centered around Raze, Shadow Burst, Battle Standard and Northern Rage, and building Crit Damage %, Damage Reduction %, and Cast Speed

Actives

Raze -> This is your primary damage source for single target DPS. You will get stacks of Shred Armor with this skill.
Shadow Burst -> This is your primary healing and escape skill. Also it allows you to cover vast stretches of dungeon/landscape quickly.
Northern Rage -> This is your primary AOE. It synergizes with Shatterstorm extremely well.
Battle Standard -> This is your primary utility spell. Firstly it gives you increased survivability in a variety of ways, secondly it gives you increased mana regen, . Use it often.

for killing bosses, or huge rooms put at least 1 point in each of these actives:
Frost Breath (debuff enemy so they take increased damage)
Howl (debuff enemies so they output less damage)
Battle Rage (increase damage output, lower damage input) (Tier 1 required for damage input mitigation)

Passives
Shred Armor (invest in this for the defensive properties)
Cold Steel (It has recently been confirmed that Cold Steel does in fact raise magic ice damage even though the tooltip says "only effects melee attacks". This new information makes this skill absolutely essential to this build for it not only increases your Raze damage by about 20% when maxed, but also increases your Northern Rage damage by nearly 90%)
Shatterstorm (Huge synergy with Northern Rage)
Red Wolf(Compliments all your other abilities with extra damage)

STATS AND GEAR

A Shield is Highly Encouraged for Veteran/Elite

Here is an example, of Shek when he was lv.88:
YXWmK.jpg
[EDIT: This image is from 9/23]

STATS -> Your point distribution is going to be highly dependent upon your priorities. I recommend the balanced approach for a combination of damage and survivability. If you can't survive a fight, your DPS is 0, no matter how much crit/max damage you have.
For the most balanced results, raise STR, DEX, and VIT evenly. Put points into FOC occasionally, but do not prioritize it, as execute is useless for shield bearers.

WEAPONS -> Choose a mainhand weapon with large "% Bonus to Crit Hit Damage". Also keep in mind you won't be using autoattacks, so Attack Speed is useless. Instead, find items that raise Cast Speed. Example: http://i.imgur.com/yXmqG.jpg

ARMOR -> Focus on gearing the following stats: "All Damage Taken is Reduced by %", "Max Health Bonus", "Elemental Armor", "Attribute Bonus (ex: STR + 27)
*Farming Grells stones (3% and 5% is a quick and easy way to raise your damage reduction considerably)
A SHIELD IS YOU BEST BUDDY
Wearing a shield will help to mitigate the inevitable gear-check which occurs in high level Elite.

SOCKETS -> Mana and Damage Reduction
Patch 1.12: What to do about Battle Standard mana regen nerf:
Rift Embers allow for you to nearly instantly regenerate your mana to full when you run out.
Void Embers allow you to sustain longer without having to recharge using your Rift Ember.

If you are having trouble surviving, rely on your mana on hit, and use the rest of your blank sockets to stack Damage Reduction (early and mid game), and a combination of Damage Reduction and max HP late game. (grells gems are great damage reduction as are skulls of Limoaney).
Note: If you run maps often, you will likely run into a master socketer enchanter. Keep 200,000 gold on-hand for this eventuality. This will allow you to add an extra socket to all of your gear.

SPELLS -> This is going to be up to you. There is no cookie-cutter spell book for everyone. I personally use as many passive spells as I can find. Right now I'm running: Adrenaline Rush (Chance to give you a weak version of Max Charge when you're hit), Adventuring (Exp and Fame bonus for the level grind), Blocking (Blocking increases your block rate by a percentage. It simply rules), and Concentration (Mana Regen).

PLAY STYLE

Shadow Burst around the map using Arctic Rage to clear groups, and Raze to focus down beefy enemies and bosses. If you start to run low on mana, or if you are fighting a lot of potentially dangerous enemies, throw down your Battle Standard to instantly regenerate your mana. If your hp gets low, Shadow Burst through a few enemies and you'll instantly heal back.
If you're killing a boss, frost breath him, howl, activate any other damage enhancers (e.g. Battle Rage), and then Raze him to death.
When fighting big groups of weak-medium enemies just spam Northern Rage or Shadow Burst them to death. While you are diving around and spamming your abilities, make sure to autoattack occasionally to burst your mana back up to full.

Closing Statements:

There you have it. This build is the most viable option I've yet seen for zerkers. With this build your clear times on maps will be extremely fast (both with shadow burst for mobility, and with the insta-kill speed of Raze).
Also note that Shadowburst and Raze are the only essential skills of this build. Northern Rage is just something I use to supplement it, you could substitute any other AoE spell for it. There are plenty of other tweaks that could be made.

So remember,

Shadowburst, Raze, a ton of mana regen using Void Embers and Battle Standard, and build tanky with a shield.

Comments, feedback, and questions are welcome.

Happy hunting,
Shek
Steam: LeifKT
Steam email (no longer use this email): lietenoble@hotmail.com

Credits:
Nagisan - for discovering Cold Steel does increase Raze damage.
OldManInternetz - for dispelling the myths about Cold Steel's cold damage.
SteamID: LeifKT

Comments

• Hey man, I am dual wield at level 58, gear is half orange half blue, mostly dex/max hp/damage reduction dependant. Boosted passives, focused on Execute. I execute every hit, which attacks faster than default attack or spell attack. One of my execute's does 12k-13k, and I can pull out 2-3 of those per one weapon swing. I have boosted attack speed too. When charge is full, it is insane. 13k flying up the screen at a mile a minute. So 20k dps on a single target spell buffed out using no offhand is pretty reasonable, doesn't sound OP to me. I pretty much just stand still and facetank everything with a 12 pt Eviscerate, then when charge is full I switch to auto attack for execute action. Oh yeah my Eviscerate crits for 22k last time I saw, my weapon does a bit more damage than yours so it makes sense to me. Cool build tho.
    Wat kyk jy?
  • Shek333Shek333 Posts: 120
    That sounds very nice. I will say though, that raze does progressively more damage as you repeatedly use it on a target.
    So bosses will drop extremely quickly. I've experimented with execute builds and I wasn't able to drop bosses nearly as quickly as Raze allows me to.

A typical boss fight will be like:
    Hit boss with Raze (boss is now at 90% hp)
    Hit boss again with Raze (boss is now at 60%)
    Hit boss again with Raze (boss is dead)

For bigger super tough bosses it may take up to 10 or so Razes to drop it. But Raze has a pretty fast cast speed, pretty close to autoattack speed, if not faster in certain circumstances (charge bar etc).

Once I have more time, I'll retry the execute build and do some parsing. What I like about the raze build is it's not charge dependent at all, so your damage is always consistent.
  • **** that's crazy. What kind of numbers is it pulling on that? Because I will straight do like 400k damage on Alchemist with one charge bar and it barely dents his ****. Getting destroyed in Elite act 4. Died like twelve times on Alchemist, decided to just farm some maps for better gear. It's going a bit slow. Haven't found anything decent yet.
    Wat kyk jy?
    I'll drop the netherlord/alchemist on Elite extremely quickly. I think each phase of the Netherlord fight takes like 10 seconds or less.

That being said, I'm talking about elite on NG, not NG+

I dont want to start NG+ yet because maps are just too fun.

As per farming maps, I haven't found many good items either from drops, however transmuting 4 uniques usually yields some rather high tier output. I've gotten a few +30 dex set uniques that way, as well as two 400dps swords with +10% crit chance and +60% crit damage each. (which I cant use until 64).
  • (one other skill cant remember name, increases dmg based on # of enemies in range)

Battle Rage.
  • How is your stat distribution?
  • You say "My weapons", as in you dual wield? I'm currently using a shield but I may switch to dual wielding....how is weapon damage on skills calculated with dual wield? Does it add the DPS together or average them? Seem's kind of a waste if it averages them since a lower DPS weapon would bring your skill DPS down.
  • This is exactly the build i'm running now, as the OP said focusing on crits damage makes the build an efficient killing machine, RAZE, SHADOW BURST, NORTHERN RAGE and EVIS are the main staple of such. :)
  • chrischoi wrote:
    How is your stat distribution?

2 - 2 - 1? Alternate the FOCUS and STA every level?
  • NTTNTT Posts: 8
    Shek333 wrote:

You actually retain access to the map room in NG+
    chrischoi wrote:
    chrischoi wrote:
    How is your stat distribution?

2 - 2 - 1? Alternate the FOCUS and STA every level?

Howdy.

How you distribute your stats is going to depend on how much survivability you want / vs how much of a damage **** you want to be.

Currently, ratio wise, I'm at about 2/2/1/1.5

I've been running elite maps in the level 80 range lately, and I will get burst killed by bosses more often than I'd like to admit. It's very easy to quickly drop them with Raze, but some of those bosses will wack me dead if I'm not paying attention to their attack animations. I'm starting to collect gear that raises max HP, hoping this will off-set this problem. (keep in mind I'm at 55% reduction to all damage, and 60% reduction to physical)

As per damage, even if you don't devote too much to STR or DEX, Raze will give you more than enough damage, and you can focus the points on survivability.

Being a glass cannon is fun, but as a melee class, you will be a lot more useful to your friends if you can off-tank as well as DPS.

You can have 10,000 dex (not really) but a glass cannon's dps is 0 if they can't stay alive.

Also P.S.
    I currently have 55% crit chance, and 238% crit damage bonus. It helps a lot with damage output, but I'd be willing to give some of it up for a bit more tankiness.
  • Hey there Shek,

I just started playing Torchlight II and is very interested in playing a berserker and using the build you mentioned in this post. However I don't quite understand what you mean when you said you distribute your stats in the way of 2/2/1/1.5. Does that mean every level you put 2 points in strength, 2 points in focus and etc.?

kazafz wrote:
    Hey there Shek,

I just started playing Torchlight II and is very interested in playing a berserker and using the build you mentioned in this post. However I don't quite understand what you mean when you said you distribute your stats in the way of 2/2/1/1.5. Does that mean every level you put 2 points in strength, 2 points in focus and etc.?

It's ratios.

So with 2/2/1/1.5 ratios here's an example:

60STR 60DEX 30FOCUS 45VIT

I'd take the balanced approach though, because that way you'll be flexible and not boxed in. It also allows you to make interesting gear choices.
  • Oh, I get it now. Thanks Shek :)
  • IronyIrony Posts: 1,078
    I have to try this build out/
    paragraphic.tumblr.com
  • l0rdzeddl0rdzedd Posts: 59
    edited September 2012
    I was playing something similar on Elite/HC.

He just died at 63 and I'm now going to try again with some ajustments. For one, VIT needs to be higher. I also don't find Shadow Burst to be of any help in extreme cases of insanely high burst. Arguably nothing is. But I figure only having that one method beyond pots isn't enough. So I may also try Either Max Blood Hunger or Wolf Shade.

Going with stat allocation method that will give me 2VIT points per level. I know this much. Possibly 1/1/1/2 2/1/0/2.
    I also refuse to use a shield, lol.

Here's to attempt #2!
  • What's wrong with using a shield? And which wep types do you prefer?
  • Trickz5 wrote:
    What's wrong with using a shield? And which wep types do you prefer?

Nothing I'm just tired of using them. 90% of my previous HC choices used shields. Uhm, I think I like claws. Trash monsters are generally not the issue and can be cleared pretty quickly. It's the uniques/bosses that cause a problem, I think that claws are best with that in mind. Though that said I'd say it's probably smarter to use whatever you find.
  • Hey Shek, took a look at your build and decided to put it into the calculator. [LINK DELETED].

Does this look about right? I play on Elite, so for late game, how does 210 STR / 85 DEX / 50 FOC / 190 VIT sound for base stats? If not, what would you consider changing? I haven't played zerker yet. So i'm kinda just theory crafting while i'm at work. What spells would you consider using? Would Armor Expertise / Heal Self VI / Summon Zombies VI / Weapon Expertise be the best?

Cheers,
    HIVEALiEN wrote:
    Hey Shek, took a look at your build and decided to put it into the calculator. [LINK DELETED].

Does this look about right? I play on Elite, so for late game, how does 210 STR / 85 DEX / 50 FOC / 190 VIT sound for base stats? If not, what would you consider changing? I haven't played zerker yet. So i'm kinda just theory crafting while i'm at work. What spells would you consider using? Would Armor Expertise / Heal Self VI / Summon Zombies VI / Weapon Expertise be the best?

Cheers,

Stat distribution isn't really a huge deal with this build. As long as you don't completely neglect VIT you're going to be fine with anything. I tend to raise STR and DEX evenly: STR for Crit Damage % and Dex for the dodge chance increase. Because you're using a shield, VIT is equally as important because it raises Block %.

In short: If I had 195 hypothetical points to distribute, I'd go: 60, 60, 30, 45
  • thank you good sir for showing me the way of raze , thanks to it i finished **** elite :_: did use a bit different build but raze was the main focus
  • I tested Northern Rage a bit, didn't like it. How do you manage to survive despite how slow the cast speed is? Do you use cast speed gear?
  • Did your gear all come with 2 sockets or is there some trick to adding a 2nd socket to items?...i know you can add a single to an unsocketed item just wondering.
    huntermanz wrote:
    Did your gear all come with 2 sockets or is there some trick to adding a 2nd socket to items?...i know you can add a single to an unsocketed item just wondering.

Bumped into a socket enchanter in a mapwork. He could add 2 to everything.
    It's in the guide :)
    pajalus wrote:
    thank you good sir for showing me the way of raze , thanks to it i finished **** elite :_: did use a bit different build but raze was the main focus

awesome?! Finished HC Elite? **** I dont have the cajones to try that yet.
  • SerpeSerpe Posts: 67
    You mentioned that you can transmute to easily get mana/sec gems. What is the transmute recipe that gives you mana/sec? Thanks!
    Serpe wrote:
    You mentioned that you can transmute to easily get mana/sec gems. What is the transmute recipe that gives you mana/sec? Thanks!

I usually combine 3 of the same elemental gems (or I think mixed also works), and it produces either a mana regen gem, or a +max mana gem. The latter is useless.
    I tested Northern Rage a bit, didn't like it. How do you manage to survive despite how slow the cast speed is? Do you use cast speed gear?

Right now I think I have about 20% bonus cast speed.
    Cast speed puts this build on steroids, you Raze faster, you Northern Rage faster, you even put down your Banner faster.
    Northern Rage does leave you exposed briefly while you're jumping in the air to cast it, but it has knockback. If you position yourself properly you shouldn't have much of a problem with it.
  • KhamKham Posts: 172
    What do you say about this build:

[LINK DELETED]

Think it is viable very late game, ****/elite and New Game+?
  • qlooqloo Posts: 23
    Shek333 wrote:
    I'll drop the netherlord/alchemist on Elite extremely quickly. I think each phase of the Netherlord fight takes like 10 seconds or less.

That being said, I'm talking about elite on NG, not NG+

As per farming maps, I haven't found many good items either from drops, however transmuting 4 uniques usually yields some rather high tier output. I've gotten a few +30 dex set uniques that way, as well as two 400dps swords with +10% crit chance and +60% crit damage each. (which I cant use until 64).

How do farm in other maps? Are you playing on Internet game instead of Single Player ? sorry for being such a noob !