My Poison Outlander (with skills analysis)

EmpyreanEmpyrean Posts: 641
edited February 2014 in Outlander Discussions
I've decided to rewrite this post in light of things I've discovered while playing the game, as well as including a few tricks that weren't mentioned when I first made it. I've included some notable gear and endgame skill allocations as well.

Skill details can be found in my Outlander Skill List Reference Document, but I'll mention Glaive Throw specifically since it's the easiest thing to **** up and there are still people out there who aren't on board the "5 ranks and that's it" wagon with the rest of us yet.

Glaive Throw 1 = 3479* damage (3163-3796), MP 10, hits 2 enemies
Glaive Throw 5 = 3796* damage (3163-4429), MP 14, hits 3 enemies
Glaive Throw 10 = 4191* damage (3163-5219), MP 25, hits 4 enemies
Glaive Throw 15 = 4586* damage (3163-6010), MP 42, hits 5 enemies

As you put ranks into it, the damage goes up a little bit, but the mana cost goes up a lot. Five ranks is perfect. More than that and you pay for a lot more than what you get. You will never be able to cover the mana cost of spamming this skill with high ranks at high level unless you ignore faster casting gear, drink potions nonstop, and fill your sockets with mana regen gear. You'll do more damage with just five ranks and a much easier investment in faster casting gear instead. This skill is most efficient with smaller groups, but can handle bigger groups if you spam it. This is your primary source of damage most of the time.

Cursed Daggers is another great skill. The damage scales well with level and ranks in the skill, it hits everything in a wide arc no matter how enemies there are, and everybody gets an icon over their head so you can track targets more easily. It also reduces enemy damage by a lot.

Shattering Glaive is a skill that has come to my attention recently. The damage per casting is actually better than Glaive Throw, but the cast time is a little slower. You have to aim it manually, and only a precise hit will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the station so don't miss. If you have a camera mod that zooms things out a bit (and I strongly suggest you get this; it's a huge improvement), you can take advantage of the excellent range on Shattering Glaive to attack enemies from a distance. If you get 15 ranks in this skill, it triggers a release of multiple fire shards that track enemies, even the original target. The damage output from this is crazy, but you can't get 15 ranks in Shattering Glaive until you're level 97. Look forward to it; once you get it, this is your boss-killer spell.

Venomous Hail does good damage based on your weapon's damage per shot. This may be changed in the future to reflect DPS instead, but for now it's better to use a slower, more powerful weapon when using this skill. Having a shotgun as your backup that you can switch to for Venomous Hail is a good idea damage per second, changed in the most recent patch. It applies DoTs, spell effects, or any other weapon effects (except life/mana steal) with each wave, and it hits 8 or 12 times depending on ranks. It targets a spot on the ground and doesn't require line of sight, so you can often hit with this skill when you can't hit with anything else, and the enemy often can't even fight back. The range isn't quite as long as Shattering Glaive, but it's longer than Glaive Throw. Note that you need a gun to use this skill.

That covers your offensive skills. Defensively you've got Repulsion Hex at 10 ranks. Repulsion Hex is a great skill that makes you basically impossible to walk up to. Enemies can still charge or teleport onto you, but the standard "run up and hit you" just triggers a big knockback while you blast away with impunity. It's so effective that I only put 10 ranks into it, as I've found that this is generally sufficient. Raising it to 15 isn't a horrible idea, but it's not absolutely necessary either.

Stone Pact at 15 ranks gives you a good heal over time, a significant boost to your armor and resistances, and a damage reflection effect. Damage reflection is basically worthless unless you're running some sort of minion build or you've got it up on your pet; you lack the hit points to kill anything before it kills you. Don't stand still and rely on your Stone Pact; the effect lingers for three seconds after you leave the area, so keep moving around and just cross through the area when the effect wears off.

Some skills are great with just one point. Rune Vault is a staple, and I have it set as my only right click skill because it's that important that I can get it the instant I need it. Glaive Sweep and Bramble Wall each get a point, and I use them together. Cast Bramble Wall and then use Glaive Sweep on it to build charge before going into combat. Bramble Wall makes a decend distraction and each section of the wall has full hit points even with just one rank. Tangling Shot can stop charging or teleporting enemies from using those attacks, but you can usually avoid them if you're ready with a Rune Vault or just nuke them from a distance with Shattering Glaive or Venomous Hail (assuming you've got the camera mod, which you should).

For passive skills, you should max Master of the Elements, Dodge Mastery, and Share the Wealth.

For attributes, you want your Dex to at least 109 after accounting for gear. Don't overinvest in Dex, it's mostly just **** beyond that point. With top end gear at level 100, you can hit that level of Dex without putting a single point into it, but that's a very long term goal, so you might prefer just putting the points in it and not worrying about the distant future. Everything else goes into Focus.

For gear, you want a good shield. You can have a shotgun as your backup for Venomous Hail, but most of the time a shield will help you more than any weapon could. Carry a pistol or a wand; doesn't really matter since you should not use autoattacks outside of the early part of the game when you can't handle the mana cost of using Glaive Throw all the time. A good early shield is Roundhaven, with 29% block rate. For the middle levels which is about where you'll get to on a single playthrough, you can keep the good block rate or switch over to a Crimson Guard for 20% faster casting speed. At the high end you'll want a Parma's Coal-Burner for the 45% base block rate. Blocking is capped at 75%.

In terms of armor, you can put together a Sentinel armor set around the time you're finishing the campaign. This armor is absolutely phenomenal, giving you a huge 33% faster cast rate, +22% damage, and an amazing amount of mana steal (6% of damage dealt) that I mostly just trigger by attacking my Bramble Wall with the backup shotgun when I've got a couple of seconds to spare. Prioritize boosts to your Focus, hit points, or casting speed; other stuff doesn't matter as much. Bonuses to poison damage are nice, but keep in mind that these bonuses are added to the bonus you naturally get from Focus. A +10% poison damage item increases your poison damage by the same amount as a +20 Focus item. For some reason, +X% poison damage items don't boost the poison damage from Cursed Daggers. This is almost certainly a bug. Late game, you can put together a mixed collection of different armors depending on what you like. Focus is still a high priority, but if you ignored Dex completely you can make up for that in a big way with the Unearthly Breeks and the Bludgeon Bracers. The Pendant of Rejected Realities is great for giving +35% poison damage and +49 Focus, as well as a rather clever Mythbusters reference. The best rings for boosting poison damage are Wright's Ring at +56% poison damage. The Belt of the Hunters and the Cold Vengeance pistol both give +50% poison damage and are both usable by level 65. For other gear, just look for stuff with a good casting speed, hit points, or Focus bonus on it and wear that. It's possible you can find random gear that's better overall than some of the unique stuff, so keep an eye out for it.

The following skill allocation uses 124 skill points. You've got 8 extra to play with, or nine if you drop Tangling Shot. You could get a decent Blade Pact with that, or even a Shadowmantle if you wanted, which I don't particularly care for due to the cooldown. Against ranged enemies, I nuke from a distance instead. If you pick up Poison Burst, the only thing that'll trigger it is Venomous Hail, but you can use that in conjunction with Bramble Wall to stop enemies for the Venomous Hail and then hurt them more by Poison Bursting your own wall segments with Venomous Hail. Skills are listed in the order they appear on the skill page.

Rune Vault - 1
Cursed Daggers - 15
Shattering Glaive - 15
Venomous Hail - 15
Glaive Throw - 5
Tangling Shot - 1
Glaive Sweep - 1
Bramble Wall - 1
Dodge Mastery - 15
Share the Wealth - 15
Repulsion Hex - 10
Stone Pact - 15
Master of the Elements - 15
Extra skill points - 8
Trust me, I've checked.

Comments

• I just cleared Normal. At the end of the game, the toughest enemies (Netherim Brutes, I think) were taking three hits from the glaive, or just one Cursed Daggers. Normal enemies were one shot from either. I put extra points into Venomous Hail since it lets me hit things without needing to get a clear shot on them, and it's poison damage which I was already heavily skilled for. By the end of the game, the only thing my weapon was for was calculating base damage for Venomous Hail. For the last third of the game, I never autoattacked even once. Seriously, just remap your left click to Glaive Throw. All points were into Focus.

I finished at level 50. Typical hits were in the 3-5k range. I didn't have any emphasis on crits or +crit damage gear, and my biggest crit was a little over 13,000. I never had to drink potions or wait for mana to regen. Five ranks in Glaive Throw is all you need; any more than that and you're paying a lot more mana for tiny gains. I carried a pistol and shield instead of a wand so I could use Venomous Hail.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • OpiiOpii Posts: 8
    What spell's would you recommend for personal and pet?
  • Can you transfer over the build you've used for your Outlander onto [LINK DELETED] template and post it on this thread?
    Plus, your stat distribution and everything.
    Also, I was going to go wands, but I really don't find them too aesthetically pleasing especially for this class, so do you think pistol+shield would be a good choice?

I'd appreciate it, thanks. :mrgreen:
  • Nice, short and easy to read guide. Your build is almost identical to what i am running now, at least when it comes to skill selection. The main diffrence is that i put all my points into focus, but still thinking about pumping up dexterity and vitality at the cost of magic damage. It plays great on higher diffuculities, both solo and in group. Great build to start with, skill choices are pretty obvious here and you just can't go wrong with elemental outlander.
  • I think with a build like that, it'd be good to pump some points into your Flaming Glaives skill.
    Since at higher ranks, enemies become more vulnerable to Fire and Poison damage. Maybe combining that with some Master of Elements passive and Poison attack skills would do some nice damage.

I'm just theorizing of course.
  • Opii wrote:
    What spell's would you recommend for personal and pet?
    Personal preference, really. My playstyle didn't involve a lot of active spell use other than my own abilities, so I ended up with Barter, Treasure Hunter, Adventuring, and Willpower. The pet had Silence and a few Summons.
    Socket wrote:
    Can you transfer over the build you've used for your Outlander onto [LINK DELETED] template and post it on this thread?
    Plus, your stat distribution and everything.
    Currently the character is level 54 and looks like this: [LINK DELETED] It says the level required is 70, but those extra skill points came from fame.
    Socket wrote:
    Also, I was going to go wands, but I really don't find them too aesthetically pleasing especially for this class, so do you think pistol+shield would be a good choice?
    After the first few levels, you should be using Glaive Throw for your standard attack. Venomous Hail actually requires a gun to use. Pistol+shield is the way to go for that, but if you ever find yourself autoattacking then something has gone horribly wrong.
    Senkou wrote:
    Nice, short and easy to read guide. Your build is almost identical to what i am running now, at least when it comes to skill selection. The main diffrence is that i put all my points into focus, but still thinking about pumping up dexterity and vitality at the cost of magic damage. It plays great on higher diffuculities, both solo and in group. Great build to start with, skill choices are pretty obvious here and you just can't go wrong with elemental outlander.
    With this character as it currently stands, I've also put all of my points into Focus, and each level I consider if maybe I should start pumping Dex to hit the dodge cap or Vitality to survive a little better on higher difficulties, but so far it's just been a straight Focus build.
    BXfenns wrote:
    I think with a build like that, it'd be good to pump some points into your Flaming Glaives skill.
    Since at higher ranks, enemies become more vulnerable to Fire and Poison damage. Maybe combining that with some Master of Elements passive and Poison attack skills would do some nice damage.

I'm just theorizing of course.
    It's a possibility for later, but currently I just don't have the points and it's not a priority. I really don't like how unreliable the spell is unless you're in perfectly flat, wide open terrain. It's too prone to bouncing off of random things.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Thanks!
  • Empyrean mate I have read many of your posts and u seem to understand mostly all outlander mechanics.
    But..
    I think that u haven't realized that flam glaives provide a huge buff to all poison based skills ..
    So u mainly use it NOT for it's dmg but as an opening skill especially to elites and bosses so u can boost your total dmg output :)
  • What do you think about Bane Breath? It deals poison dmg and summons allies. Does focus also increase how hard summoned minions hit for?

Also, does shattering glaive does a ton of dmg. Would you recommend it or just stick with p. daggers cause of the bonus dmg?
  • Flaming Glaives sounds nice, but has a pretty big flaw. It doesn't aim very well, and the glaives don't home in, and are pretty bad to use at wide areas. The simple fact that I have to stand around for a bit to aim it at mobs seems too much of a risk in Elite, where you prefer fire and forget skills, as opposed to simply maxing your damage. Then again, you could get a summon out to hold the mobs for a bit first, while you then fire the glaives out.

The best opening skill to me is still Cursed Daggers. Cuts down the damage of mobs, deals a good bit poison damage, and lastly, provides nice little red icons on top of your target's heads. Beautiful skill.
  • Vaggii wrote:
    Empyrean mate I have read many of your posts and u seem to understand mostly all outlander mechanics.
    But..
    I think that u haven't realized that flam glaives provide a huge buff to all poison based skills ..
    So u mainly use it NOT for it's dmg but as an opening skill especially to elites and bosses so u can boost your total dmg output :)
    I'm aware. I just don't like it because it doesn't hit reliably outside of melee range, which is not where I want to be.
    Rezoahc wrote:
    What do you think about Bane Breath? It deals poison dmg and summons allies. Does focus also increase how hard summoned minions hit for?

Also, does shattering glaive does a ton of dmg. Would you recommend it or just stick with p. daggers cause of the bonus dmg?

Bane Breath seems like it would be a good fit, but I don't use it for a couple of reasons. First, it's extremely short ranged. While it's poison based, the damage is done over a couple of seconds (and isn't particularly high) so you can't spam it. Trying to use a point-blank DoT that doesn't have any sort of knockback or crowd control attached is a good way to get yourself killed. Lastly, I wouldn't put anything into the minions unless I were also getting Death Ritual, so it really doesn't fit all that well with this build. Also, no stats affect minion damage. I keep thinking about making a minion master Outlander that just tanks like crazy, but I haven't actually done it yet.

Shattering Glaive is interesting. It hits like a truck since the primary target is affected by both the initial impact and the secondary effect, but it doesn't receive the bonus from Master of the Elements except for the flame effect that you get at 15 ranks, and even that is only getting half the bonus since it's not poison based. Strength doesn't help it do more damage, but Focus does. That puts it in kind of a weird place as far as builds go; there aren't a lot of Outlander skills that benefit from high Focus that don't also benefit from Master of the Elements. Suddenly it's not looking too impressive compared to Glaive Throw; it does more damage per hit against a single target, but does less than half that much against secondary targets until you get it to 15 ranks, at which point it does It also has a slower casting speed than Glaive Throw does; initial testing shows it casting about 1.8 times per second compared to Glaive Throw's 2.4 times per second, and you really need more ranks to get the most out of it. It also burns through your mana faster than Glaive Throw does, even with the slower casting speed.

Actually, I think I'm just going to start a comprehensive skill analysis thread. I've played a Focus and a Strength based Outlander to 50+, and I do plenty of testing with a console character to see how all the skills work.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Thanks for the in-depth reply. Glad the community has guys like you that can analyze the meta.
  • Math is my superpower. :)
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • 2 questions:

You mentioned for gear to look for anything that increases poison damage, but would items that increase Focus by a large amount achieve the same effect? For example, a ring with +10% poison damage vs a ring with +20 focus should essentially be the same, unless I'm missing something.

Also, I was wondering if Tangling Shot works on bosses/champions. I was thinking of getting a [LINK DELETED], then voila, 3 seconds (or 5.8 if 15/15) of free glaive throwing. Repulsion Hex works great and all, but it doesn't stop some enemies very well.
  • hsiaofeng wrote:
    2 questions:

You mentioned for gear to look for anything that increases poison damage, but would items that increase Focus by a large amount achieve the same effect? For example, a ring with +10% poison damage vs a ring with +20 focus should essentially be the same, unless I'm missing something.
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that the damage modifiers for specific damage types are multiplicative with the damage modifiers for high Focus, rather than additive. If this is true, then if you were to add a +50% poison damage item on top of a 1000 Focus build it would have a much greater effect than adding a +100 Focus item. I'll be able to test this more conclusively once I get my hands on some gear with huge modifiers on them, but as for now the variance would require a whole lot of data collection just to get the damage differences outside of the margin of error due to small sample size. Just eyeballing it, though, I'd say it multiplies your damage output after Focus is taken into account, not before.
    hsiaofeng wrote:
    Also, I was wondering if Tangling Shot works on bosses/champions. I was thinking of getting a [LINK DELETED], then voila, 3 seconds (or 5.8 if 15/15) of free glaive throwing. Repulsion Hex works great and all, but it doesn't stop some enemies very well.
    Some champions, yes. I haven't seen it work on a boss yet, although the piddly poison DoT still works. :)

Another cool thing about it is that enemies who can normally teleport can't do it when they're entangled. The ones with dangerous attacks based on movement (anything with a charge) or teleportation (Forest Gargoyles) are a whole lot less dangerous when they can't use those attacks. Repulsion Hex doesn't do anything to stop that, but the fear effect works on all sorts of stuff that is otherwise resistant to knockbacks, and incapacitates them for the duration. If you have a high level Repulsion Hex and get within range of a tough enemy, it'll fire repeatedly and you can actually chain-fear them. Enemies that are immune to the knockback can be reliably shut down this way.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Empyrean wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that the damage modifiers for specific damage types are multiplicative with the damage modifiers for high Focus, rather than additive. If this is true, then if you were to add a +50% poison damage item on top of a 1000 Focus build it would have a much greater effect than adding a +100 Focus item. I'll be able to test this more conclusively once I get my hands on some gear with huge modifiers on them, but as for now the variance would require a whole lot of data collection just to get the damage differences outside of the margin of error due to small sample size. Just eyeballing it, though, I'd say it multiplies your damage output after Focus is taken into account, not before.
    Alright, that makes sense; I tried some basic damage tests and it appeared to match your suspicions. Guess we'll find out eventually.
    Empyrean wrote:
    Another cool thing about it is that enemies who can normally teleport can't do it when they're entangled. The ones with dangerous attacks based on movement (anything with a charge) or teleportation (Forest Gargoyles) are a whole lot less dangerous when they can't use those attacks. Repulsion Hex doesn't do anything to stop that, but the fear effect works on all sorts of stuff that is otherwise resistant to knockbacks, and incapacitates them for the duration. If you have a high level Repulsion Hex and get within range of a tough enemy, it'll fire repeatedly and you can actually chain-fear them. Enemies that are immune to the knockback can be reliably shut down this way.
    Ah, that's good to know. I might just get 1 point into it as a ranged incapacitate; while I've seen Repulsion Hex fear some of those tough enemies, I'd rather not get screwed over by the RNG and have something charge at me, get past the Hex and kill me.
  • 1st1st Posts: 61
    Thanks for the in-depth analysis and guide mate, looks interesting and seems like it might turn out to be a really strong build.

By the way, just wanted to know how you went about the skill point allocation.

Did you spread it on a point by point basis across your selected skills?

So like 1 in Glaives, then 1 in Cursed etc.

Or did you go like 3 Glavies, 3 Cursed, 3 Master of Elements etc.

Thanks again for taking time to write this guide and answer questions.
    kop_sig_by_liverpool11-d2xz0ea.png
    You'll never walk alone
  • 1st wrote:
    Thanks for the in-depth analysis and guide mate, looks interesting and seems like it might turn out to be a really strong build.

By the way, just wanted to know how you went about the skill point allocation.

Did you spread it on a point by point basis across your selected skills?

So like 1 in Glaives, then 1 in Cursed etc.

Or did you go like 3 Glavies, 3 Cursed, 3 Master of Elements etc.

Thanks again for taking time to write this guide and answer questions.
    With some skills, there are specific breakpoints that you want to hit. Glaive Throw with 4 ranks is worth than Glaive Throw with 1 rank, but both are inferior to Glaive Throw with 5 ranks, so you'll want to save your points until you can hit that next breakpoint. The game tells you what level you need to be to put your next point in a skill, but it doesn't tell you how high you could raise it if you could put points in it currently. So, that ****. Fortunately, I documented the breakpoints for hitting 5, 10, and 15 ranks for each skill based on what level it becomes available initially. Glaive Throw is a level 1 skill, Rune Vault is a level 7 skill, Glaive Sweep is a level 14 skill, Cursed Daggers is a level 21 skill, Stone Pact is a level 28 skill, Shattering Glaive is a level 35 skill, and Venomous Hail is a level 42 skill. Other skills for other classes and in other trees for the same class all advance at the same rate based on their initial level of availability.

Level 1 = rank 5 at level 10, rank 10 at level 40, rank 15 at level 92
    Level 7 = rank 5 at level 13, rank 10 at level 43, rank 15 at level 93
    Level 14 = rank 5 at level 20, rank 10 at level 46, rank 15 at level 94
    Level 21 = rank 5 at level 26, rank 10 at level 49, rank 15 at level 95
    Level 28 = rank 5 at level 33, rank 10 at level 53, rank 15 at level 96
    Level 35 = rank 5 at level 40, rank 10 at level 59, rank 15 at level 97
    Level 42 = rank 5 at level 48, rank 10 at level 67, rank 15 at level 98

To be blunt, I think this system of restricting initial skill availability is pointless. All of this stuff scales with level or equipment, so why force players to wait? Is it really going to be overpowered if somebody can summon a Shadowling Brute at level 1, when it would do 27-36 damage? Of course not. I get the whole "give the players something to look forward to, and don't overload them with options" thing. I really do. But it's not like the skills are even arranged according to how difficult they are to use, or how good they are. Glaive Throw is probably the best skill that Outlanders get, and they start with it. Sorry if you wanted to play a minion build, though... the core of that build isn't going to be available at all until level 42. The justification for it really doesn't measure up to the inconvenience, especially without a readily available method of reallocating skill points (unless you use the console, which is essential for figuring out half the stuff I do). Anyway; rant over.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • I'm level 50 now with the concentration spell level 4 (+4 mana a second) and I can easily regen enough mana to spam level 5 glaive leading me to think that going for level 10 might be worth it. I might try and I'll let you know how it goes.
  • I recently got a full Sentinel set on my shooty Outlander, and I'm working on a second one for my Focus Outlander. This set is ridiculous. With the full nine pieces, it gives 6% mana steal on hit, +33% faster cast rate, and +22% all damage. My character is level 57; with the Gray Sky Omen (last boss quest reward) shotgun I'm getting back about 80 mana per shot, and it's got a firing rate of 0.90. It's all elemental damage too, so a Focus build can use it for full effect. Sadly it's Ice instead of Poison, but whatever. This combination gives about 80 mana per shot on a normal hit, or about 270 on a crit with my shooty Outlander. Also, the Sentinel set looks badass; it's what all the Vanquisher Guards are wearing.

So, uh, if you happen to get this particular setup, spend all the mana you want. It's all back in two shots anyway. Good thing, too; that 33% faster cast rate is insane.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Oooohhh I'm getting all tingly for late game.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm going to just keep using this set forever, and only swap out gear when I find another piece of the set that I like more than what I've already got.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Empyrean wrote:
    Vaggii wrote:
    Empyrean mate I have read many of your posts and u seem to understand mostly all outlander mechanics.
    But..
    I'm aware. I just don't like it because it doesn't hit reliably outside of melee range, which is not where I want to be.
    Maybe the reliability you seeking and range comes with tier1,tier2 and tier3 bonuses :) just check them ;)
  • Vaggii wrote:
    Empyrean wrote:
    Vaggii wrote:
    But..
    Maybe the reliability you seeking and range comes with tier1,tier2 and tier3 bonuses :) just check them ;)
    No, it does not. I've checked. I check everything. That's what I do here: I check things. I'm the thing checker. So really, when I say something does or doesn't work a particular way, it's because I've checked.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Empyrean wrote:
    No, it does not. I've checked. I check everything. That's what I do here: I check things. I'm the thing checker. So really, when I say something does or doesn't work a particular way, it's because I've checked.
    And how excactly have u checked tier1 or mostly tier2 bonuses, while rank1 requires 42 lvl and tier2 requires 62 lvl while u are only around 55 at the moment?!
    Refund last 3 skills or reroll a 42 lvl char dont do the job.. :roll: .. So ?
  • Hi.

My outlander is currently level 20.
    I'm maxing focus and I'm heading for a Glaive build.
    I'm using 2 wands with poison damage and my highest hit right now is 1070.

1070 is quite much for a level 20, especially without higher leveled Wands that require Focus. (I'll soon get my hands on them)
    I pretty much 1 shot everything, Purple mobs (small bosses) goes down In about 3-5 hits.
    I'll also get ALOT stronger when I tier up the Glaives.

For equipment I've got my hands on 35% poison damage boots, and 20% poison damage gloves with 10% ranged dmg.
    Also just browsing throu every shop for maximum Focus.

I'ts fairly easy, and I bet it will continue that way.
  • Vaggii wrote:
    Empyrean wrote:
    And how excactly have u checked tier1 or mostly tier2 bonuses, while rank1 requires 42 lvl and tier2 requires 62 lvl while u are only around 55 at the moment?!
    Refund last 3 skills or reroll a 42 lvl char dont do the job.. :roll: .. So ?
    With the console, genius. How do you think I came up with level requirements for each tier for every skill? Magic?

Keep on second-guessing me, though. I'm sure it'll work out in your favor any second now.
    Lissmano wrote:
    I'll also get ALOT stronger when I tier up the Glaives.
    Two things:
    More than 5 ranks in Glaive Throw is a bad idea.
    ALOT STRONGER! RAAAAWR!
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • I like your build, just thinking some minor changes..

1)Whats your thoughts on taking 1/15 "Rune Vault" just for the escape mechanism at early game until i reach lvl 35 and then start building "Burning Leap",that's a better escape ability as it does significantly more dmg comparing to rune vault ( plus knockback, plus larger range) ?
    Also having them both would provide me more variety depending the situation.
    (using rune vault escaping/kiting a single monster so i dont burn a lot mana while using Burning Leap when i am being overrun by a large pack that i need to avoid and kill asap).

2) Also what do you think of maxing "Repulsion Hex" instead of "Stone Pact" as would provide me some decent "dodging" ability before even being hit( combining always with burning leap and rune vault) that would be better in the long term of the game (veteran mode and above?)?

PS: more interested in your thoughts on my first question.. i know you will mostly insist on taking Stone pact as i have figured out from your other thread posts lol
    (Second-guessing you MODE: ON , haha j/king).
  • I don't mind alternate skill suggestions. It's when someone implies that I didn't read the tier bonuses (and when they write like a 12 year old; pet peeve of mine) that I get really annoyed with them.

Burning Leap is not better than Rune Vault. When I need to get distance with Rune Vault, I right click and it's done. Burning Leap requires you to select a destination. Burning Leap at 15 ranks also costs more than six times as much as Rune Vault at one rank, and takes slightly longer to get you out of danger even if you don't factor in aiming time. If you change direction with Burning Leap, your character has to physically turn before moving. It's not a huge delay, but it does contribute to Burning Leap failing to get you out of danger in cases where Rune Vault would not. Burning Leap's saving grace is that it lets you move through enemies to escape. This is rarely a problem for me as Glaive Throw is quite long ranged, and if you are proactive in avoiding a surround it's not difficult. You're faster than the monsters.

The damage on Burning Leap isn't anything special. It takes long enough to complete that the damage it does isn't much of an improvement over just autoattacking.

I've made a few revisions to the build. I've taken to using Repulsion Hex over Glaive Sweep. Repulsion Hex helps keep enemies off of me without any input on my part, so I can keep doing the things I'd otherwise be doing.

Stone Pact is still a great skill, but just because the effect is stationary doesn't mean you have to be. It lasts for 20 seconds, so you can drop it before combat and still get use out of it. If you want to be extra cautious, drop your Stone Pact, run into Cursed Dagger range, and retreat with Rune Vault. You're only exposed to danger for a split second and you get your DoT set up right at the start. Any retaliation will have the damage reduced by the Stone Pact and the Daggers.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • Empyrean wrote:
    Burning Leap is not better than Rune Vault. When I need to get distance with Rune Vault, I right click and it's done. Burning Leap requires you to select a destination. Burning Leap at 15 ranks also costs more than six times as much as Rune Vault at one rank, and takes slightly longer to get you out of danger even if you don't factor in aiming time. If you change direction with Burning Leap, your character has to physically turn before moving. It's not a huge delay, but it does contribute to Burning Leap failing to get you out of danger in cases where Rune Vault would not.

The damage on Burning Leap isn't anything special. It takes long enough to complete that the damage it does isn't much of an improvement over just autoattacking.

I've made a few revisions to the build. I've taken to using Repulsion Hex over Glaive Sweep. Repulsion Hex helps keep enemies off of me without any input on my part, so I can keep doing the things I'd otherwise be doing.

Stone Pact is still a great skill, but just because the effect is stationary doesn't mean you have to be. It lasts for 20 seconds, so you can drop it before combat and still get use out of it. If you want to be extra cautious, drop your Stone Pact, run into Cursed Dagger range, and retreat with Rune Vault. You're only exposed to danger for a split second and you get your DoT set up right at the start. Any retaliation will have the damage reduced by the Stone Pact and the Daggers.
    I have to agree with you on the Repulsion Hex over Glaive Sweep thing! i wouldnt even thought taking Glaive Sweep from the first place..

I disagree though on the "Burning Leap" delay ..As far as i saw from youtube skill presentation videos it is actually instant at tier3 :P ( you probably talking about Early investment in this skill which is correct).

As far as Stone Pact is concerned i know its a great skill to have.. but it just doesnt seem to fit in my build (not many skill points left..) so its the only safe choice to drop..
    Maybe dropping "burning leap" and building this.. really dont know if it would be so viable though at really end game circumstances..On the other hand It is good for lvling up safely..