My Poison Outlander (with skills analysis)

14567810»

Comments

• xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    paledoor wrote:
    Sorry if this was covered in the later posts, but...

In your opening write up, you say "Get a pistol or a wand, it doesn't matter." You also say to use tangling shot... which requires a pistol, bow, crossbow, or shotgonne.

Just an observation.
    Tangling shot and venomous hail can be used with your second set using a 2-h weapon, while keeping wand+shield in your first set. It's built when VH is still based on %weapon DAMAGE, so the build still emphasize on the 1-h+wand and 2-h combination from both set.
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • Can you please update the first post with what spells you recommend, empyrean? Also, the post needs to be updated where it says block is capped at 50%.

For pet spells, I've heard you can have your pet take 4 different summoning ones. But I kind of like my pet with heal. I guess the pet can have 4 different heals too... Or maybe 2 or 3 since its not enough hp at some point.

For toon spells, do you recommend both dervish and haste? What else? Blocking would reduce the need for vit investment, right?

Xylonez, I'd love to know what spells you use also. :mrgreen:
    justinj wrote:
    Can you please update the first post with what spells you recommend, empyrean? Also, the post needs to be updated where it says block is capped at 50%.

For pet spells, I've heard you can have your pet take 4 different summoning ones. But I kind of like my pet with heal. I guess the pet can have 4 different heals too... Or maybe 2 or 3 since its not enough hp at some point.

For toon spells, do you recommend both dervish and haste? What else? Blocking would reduce the need for vit investment, right?

Xylonez, I'd love to know what spells you use also. :mrgreen:
    For my toons, I used Dervish VI, Haste VI, Blocking VI, Animal Handling VI. Concentration VI is also good, but I don't use it since I usually just eats mana pots.
    I had Concentration VI for a while before I used Blocking VI.

For Pets, I used Summon Nether Imp V, Summon Blood Zombie, Silence VI, and Heal all VI. It doesn't really matter what you use on your pets.
    I'm planning to change heal all with another summon spell I guess. It's still useful, but not that much anymore at end-game.
  • I read Empyreum info about skills, I wonder if somebody tried to use vortex hex as a damage dealing skills.
    From the tablet he put together damage are not that bad when you take in accounts that it per monster that it can shoot at five.of them simultaneouslyand every 0.85 s and last quiet some time.
  • an0myan0my Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    -- removed by moderator --
  • TommyReslinTommyReslin Posts: 278
    edited November 2012
    an0my wrote:
    -- removed by moderator --

That's because people explain why they chose each skill rather than simply telling people "pick these ones they're good." Some people like understanding the reasoning behind these things. Mods or not his analysis are sound and are used even now. There's a reason this thread is 14 pages long.
    Check out the Shooty Summoner here!
  • Rasteau wrote:
    I read Empyreum info about skills, I wonder if somebody tried to use vortex hex as a damage dealing skills.
    From the tablet he put together damage are not that bad when you take in accounts that it per monster that it can shoot at five.of them simultaneouslyand every 0.85 s and last quiet some time.

too bad, vortex hex poison damage neither not scale with focus nor +% poison damage
  • whiteagle wrote:
    Rasteau wrote:
    I read Empyreum info about skills, I wonder if somebody tried to use vortex hex as a damage dealing skills.

too bad, vortex hex poison damage neither not scale with focus nor +% poison damage
    OK, I guess it's a bug but thanks for the info you saved me some time :)
    Rasteau wrote:
    whiteagle wrote:
    Rasteau wrote:

OK, I guess it's a bug but thanks for the info you saved me some time :)
    Vortex hex is considered a summon.
  • xylonez wrote:
    Vortex hex is considered a summon.
    i tried getting some + pet damage stuff but the damage of vortext hex does not go up. am i doing anything wrong?
  • I know this is an old thread but I'm new to the forums...so my apologies.

But I see nothing terribly horrible with having a level 10 Glaive skill or higher. The higher levels hit more bad guys, which I like. I think too many gamers play these games as if they're some sort of strange math quiz where efficiency gets you a passing grade. Frankly, any build is a good build if you're having fun and if it (mostly) does what you want it to do.

Just my 2 cents. :)
  • TomneTomne Posts: 34
    But you can't spam a lvl 10 glaive, which kind of kills the purpose.
  • Give me an advice please : I can use this build since i start playing outlander or is better using this build for elite and using another build at early game?
  • Hi everyone. Does anyone play this build with synergies??

Im close to level 100 now and i looked at the gear people recommend like Asphyx set and certain Unearthly items... but they dont seem to have any attribute buffs, eg no VIT/DEX/FOCUS.... and i am so used to having them, and wonder if a huge dip in stats will be a problem. for eg, replacing 1 of my current rare aristocrat items will put me at a 80 focus loss.... thats significant no?

I wonder if the difference in my gear choices are due to my use of synergies
  • iddypiper wrote:
    80 focus loss.... thats significant no?
    80 focus = +40% damage bonus. Depends on how high your total percentage damage bonus is in comparison. PS, find Boris teh Enchanter.
  • Pantera39Pantera39 Posts: 144
    I think i'll give this build an elite shot. I haven't played on elite since the first week of getting the game. Cleared out the first map with exception to the two dungeons with only one near death to a bear trap of all things. I have done this without using the shared stash... is it an insane to not take advantage of it? I just assume that build posters do dip into the stash especially on elite and I now remember why. You can see the vet/elite difference even in the beginning cause if you get hit, you sure feel it.
  • So i picked this game back up after some time and decided to make my glaivelander as good as possible.

My question in, can someone recommend some end game gear for casting speed, and where to get it?
    All i have in mind is the celestial armor (i can get it from mapworks gambler, right).
    Also, around which number should my casting speed be?

edit: erase the celestial armor part, thought it gave casting speed
  • Hey guys! I was wondering...what is your Highest Damage Dealt? (Elite and No Mods on) :)))

Mine is 626221, idk if its good or not. ._.

Cheers! :D
  • LillisLillis Posts: 189
    I'm surprised to find that people seem to be favoring flat-dmg skills over WpnDPS ones? Then again, I haven't really played this game as of yet, just started lurking a bit, and doing some research before I (probably) buy and play it. I played the **** out of TL1, and I'm starting to feel a tad itchy to have a go at this successor as well.

Anywho, I was also baffled by the fact that skills still have "Weapon DPS" in TL2 rather than just "Weapon Dmg". For some reason, Runic seems to have missed the whole overpoweredness this matter brought to the table in TL1? Due to skills using the DPS-stat rather than the plain Dmg one on weapons, it means that faster weapons will always be better in terms of damage output. Why? Pretty simple (and I'm guessing I'm overdoing this now, but anyway...), without sockets and enchantments, weaponry seems to be fairly balanced in terms of damage per blow in relation to speed. However, when socketing or enchanting a flat dmg attribute in/on a 0.5 speed weapon you'll get a higher DPS stat increase than if you were to socket or enchant that very same attribute in/on say a 1.4 speed weapon. Assuming the weapon speed number is the amount of seconds it takes to complete a single attack, it merely takes two sockets/enchantments to make the alternatives more or less on par in terms of DPS. This flat dmg increase in relation to weapon speed also holds true to any flat dmg on non-weapon items, if I'm not mistaken?

Also, why not go with dualwielding, with the sheer amount of damage bonuses one can stack?
      +30% from Long Range Mastery +30% from Akimbo +60% from Dualwiedling +40% from Marksmanship
    +160% total. And with WpnDPS-based skills you can utilize Knockback, armor reduction, and as far as I can recall (and assuming Runic didn't change the engine far too much) basically anything that isn't leech. Given of course that you could probably also stack alot of spell-dmg boosts if you're using those kinds of skills, but you can't really do all that much with the base value those bonuses work off, in difference from Wpn-DPS skills. On top of that, Str not only adds +%Dmg, but also adds +%CritDmg.

Thoughts?

I apologize if I might come off as blunt and/or perhaps ignorant, it's certainly not my intention to do so. My interest for this game and franchise has recently re-sparked, and I'm just trying to do some decent research before I dive in, so to speak. I'm fairly sure I'm missing some or a few pretty vital points which might throw my reasoning upside-down. Please bare with me. ;)

• BattlePopeBattlePope Posts: 15
    How does this build stack up to Sweeter's Chaos Theory build? How does it compare in terms of end-game viability? How does it compare as far as farming? I've started a Chaos Theory 'lander already but am not crazy about her. Thinking about giving this build a try but am worried about how this build fares end-game in terms of killing efficiency and farming efficiency.
  • scaffscaff Posts: 23
    Outlanders get tonnes of crit chance, so how good is str (crit damage) compared to focus?
  • PackratPackrat Posts: 219
    Strength is excellent, but only once you have hundreds of points to spare. You should invest points gained via levels into Focus and use Borris to gain Strength. Also, one Rambren skull is equivalent to 150 points of Strength for crit bonus damage.
  • GoosePantsGoosePants Posts: 266
    Can you use a bow with this build?
  • EmpyreanEmpyrean Posts: 641
    GoosePants wrote:
    Can you use a bow with this build?
    Yes, but you're giving up a shield for basically no gain. It's suboptimal, but you can do it.
    Packrat wrote:
    Strength is excellent, but only once you have hundreds of points to spare. You should invest points gained via levels into Focus and use Borris to gain Strength. Also, one Rambren skull is equivalent to 150 points of Strength for crit bonus damage.
    Crit damage is additive, not multiplicative. More Focus helps you more than more Strength does, even with a high crit chance.
    BattlePope wrote:
    How does this build stack up to Sweeter's Chaos Theory build? How does it compare in terms of end-game viability? How does it compare as far as farming? I've started a Chaos Theory 'lander already but am not crazy about her. Thinking about giving this build a try but am worried about how this build fares end-game in terms of killing efficiency and farming efficiency.
    I think this is better. He uses Chaos Burst as his go-to attack, which is not anywhere near as quick at dealing with threats as Glaive Throw is. He also lacks Cursed Daggers. Chaining blind on bosses with Venomous Hail is handy, but with a good weapon proc equipped you can drop a 15 rank Venomous Hail and kill pretty much anything from multiple Glacial Spikes or Meteors that trigger. Or just hit them with a few rank 15 Shattering Glaives; those things are nuts.
    Lillis wrote:
    I'm surprised to find that people seem to be favoring flat-dmg skills over WpnDPS ones? Then again, I haven't really played this game as of yet, just started lurking a bit, and doing some research before I (probably) buy and play it. I played the **** out of TL1, and I'm starting to feel a tad itchy to have a go at this successor as well.
    They scale really, really well.
    Lillis wrote:
    Anywho, I was also baffled by the fact that skills still have "Weapon DPS" in TL2 rather than just "Weapon Dmg". For some reason, Runic seems to have missed the whole overpoweredness this matter brought to the table in TL1? Due to skills using the DPS-stat rather than the plain Dmg one on weapons, it means that faster weapons will always be better in terms of damage output. Why? Pretty simple (and I'm guessing I'm overdoing this now, but anyway...), without sockets and enchantments, weaponry seems to be fairly balanced in terms of damage per blow in relation to speed. However, when socketing or enchanting a flat dmg attribute in/on a 0.5 speed weapon you'll get a higher DPS stat increase than if you were to socket or enchant that very same attribute in/on say a 1.4 speed weapon. Assuming the weapon speed number is the amount of seconds it takes to complete a single attack, it merely takes two sockets/enchantments to make the alternatives more or less on par in terms of DPS. This flat dmg increase in relation to weapon speed also holds true to any flat dmg on non-weapon items, if I'm not mistaken?

Also, why not go with dualwielding, with the sheer amount of damage bonuses one can stack?
      +30% from Long Range Mastery +30% from Akimbo +60% from Dualwiedling +40% from Marksmanship
    +160% total. And with WpnDPS-based skills you can utilize Knockback, armor reduction, and as far as I can recall (and assuming Runic didn't change the engine far too much) basically anything that isn't leech. Given of course that you could probably also stack alot of spell-dmg boosts if you're using those kinds of skills, but you can't really do all that much with the base value those bonuses work off, in difference from Wpn-DPS skills. On top of that, Str not only adds +%Dmg, but also adds +%CritDmg.

Thoughts?
    Those modifiers only apply to specific attacks (not the ones I'm using), and even with those bonuses Glaive Throw is more efficient and Shattering Glaive still hits way harder.
    Lillis wrote:
    I apologize if I might come off as blunt and/or perhaps ignorant, it's certainly not my intention to do so. My interest for this game and franchise has recently re-sparked, and I'm just trying to do some decent research before I dive in, so to speak. I'm fairly sure I'm missing some or a few pretty vital points which might throw my reasoning upside-down. Please bare with me. ;)

Once you've had a try to test how the various skills perform with different gear loadouts at higher level, this sort of thing will make a lot of sense. Oh, and don't judge Shattering Glaive too quickly; it's kind of mediocre until you hit 15 ranks, and then it's overpowered as ****.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • AghamyrAghamyr Posts: 1
    One of the things i didn't see discussed here is about Poison Burst, is this passive that bad ? Because in a poison base build this skill look pretty nice, no ?
  • EmpyreanEmpyrean Posts: 641
    Poison Burst triggers on skills based on weapon damage. This build is rather light on those. Don't bother.
    Trust me, I've checked.
  • what gems should I put on weapon?
    Poison?

on armor beside hp? what should I put to boost damage?
  • Level 62 Glaivelander here. First time playing through on Normal to get used to basic game mechanics before going ****. I'm currently on NG+.

I pretty much got this far with my build: [LINK DELETED] ...pre-forums diving, which, post-forums diving, appears to be a grave mistake.

Now that I've read most of what's available to be read on this particular build for this particular class, it seems as though my build shown above is utterly beyond saving.

Should I delete the above character and simply start over? I've only died once so far, and that was in a level 100 mapworks dungeon in multiplayer, and I haven't had any trouble killing stuff...yet...but it seems as though I could be getting a whole lot more out of this build than I currently am.

I'm also already feeling the effects of overskilling Glaive Throw to level 12; even with 363 mana I can only cast it 15 times in a row. Granted, nothing has lived that long so far, but sooner or later I am going to want to try Veteran or Elite, and from that one time in the level 100 Mapworks dungeon, I noted very carefully that it took six casts to kill a single slime.

Should I simply re-start on another char using pistol and shield for Venom Hail instead of wand and shield like I currently am? Thanks in advance.
  • ruyenruyen Posts: 4
    Empyrean (or anyone else, in case he no longer frequents this forum),
    I created my forum account to ask ya a couple things:
      1. On the first page, you talk about a couple skills (namely Repulsion Hex) that you get 10-15 points in, but a few posts later you link the build and it doesn't have one point in it, or BWall either. 2. I am looking to try out the build, but am only lvl30. What advice on the order of skill priority can you give? 5pts in Glaive is probably a high priority, but beyond that I'm not quite sure so I've just put 1-2 points in everything else (ie: StW, Dodge, MotE, SP, & CDs).

Also,
    Should I simply re-start on another char using pistol and shield for Venom Hail instead of wand and shield like I currently am? Thanks in advance.
    I would not do that. There are ways to respec, including a popular mod. :)
14567810»