Rudimentary Multiplayer

drivehappydrivehappy Posts: 268
edited August 2010 in General Modding
Edit: Current up-to-date Multiplayer Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12680

Comments

• :O is all I have to say >:D
  • CDRWCDRW Posts: 6
    edited November 2009
    I just registered from being a lurker for a few months just to post about how awesome this is.

Honestly I think this is a very good start. Great work.

EDIT: Maybe you could elaborate on how the architecture here works? I'm pretty curious how you did it.
  • tediostedios Posts: 15
    HOLY JESUS !

Great job man u are AWESOME!
    Can't wait to see the project finished even if it takes a month or two
  • LogonLogon Posts: 9
    Awesome :)
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    I think we have a genius here :geek:

I hope this is not a joke..
  • VisVis Posts: 159
    Nice work. Alas, it all but the case of GTA this rarely goes beyond this stage. Oblivion had something like this that went no-where. I hope you're the exception to the rule and it goes beyond this. I am impressed you got it done so quickly.
  • Vis wrote:
    Nice work. Alas, it all but the case of GTA this rarely goes beyond this stage. Oblivion had something like this that went no-where. I hope you're the exception to the rule and it goes beyond this. I am impressed you got it done so quickly.
    It went quickly because of their use of CEGUI and Ogre dlls which makes rendering the UI/Models a lot easier. Unfortunately this will probably never work with a DRM version, but they've stated that the boxed version will be clean.
  • Wow! Nice job, I hope you finish this.
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    is this for real? if so that's wickedly cool :)
  • Would be awesome to get this as a fully functioning modification.

Not sure how I can help it, but if anyone is able to pitch into this project, by all means.
  • ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    That is really nice work and is quite interesting really! Although, this just elevated the "I can haz Co-op?!" posts for the next six months. *sigh*
  • InvernessInverness Posts: 160
    edited November 2009
    How the **** did you do that?

This community is on a roll.
  • Holy cow... i really hope today isn't 1st April. I think i'd cry...
  • Shardz wrote:
    That is really nice work and is quite interesting really! Although, this just elevated the "I can haz Co-op?!" posts for the next six months. *sigh*

haha, the last part is so true. I think it's hilarious when I think that, If coop ever goes live, the same people clamoring for it will be the same people complaining about how easy the game has become and how unbalanced it is now. :lol:
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • OrakkOrakk Posts: 184
    MrSafin wrote:
    Holy cow... i really hope today isn't 1st April. I think i'd cry...

Haha, well its the first of November so we're lucky!

EDIT:
    drivehappy wrote:
    Vis wrote:
    It went quickly because of their use of CEGUI and Ogre dlls which makes rendering the UI/Models a lot easier. Unfortunately this will probably never work with a DRM version, but they've stated that the boxed version will be clean.

Will this work with the Steam version of the game?
    bannerfans3962221.jpg
  • this looks great
    keep it up m8

you rule if can work for all of us

thx for trying
    I Love Skeletons ! .............................................. I Love Skeletons !
    TL_Sig.jpg
    I Love Skeletons ! .............................................. I Love Skeletons !
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    Sobersean wrote:
    If coop ever goes live, the same people clamoring for it will be the same people complaining about how easy the game has become and how unbalanced it is now. :lol:

we can always ramp up the difficulty and tweak the class for co-op via the TorchED or some form of modding.
  • TidTid Posts: 39
    wow! good job :D
    Thanks captain **** you're needed back in the troll cave.
  • 1 week, an someone already has a multiplayer mod (albeit rudimentary).

Good show. *claps*
    TL2 Dwarven Class Mod Discussion
    Current Goal: Milestone 1 - Model Insertion
  • syltmansyltman Posts: 159
    AWESOME! Awesome! awesome!

and even more awesome!
    *Puts on his debbie downer hat*

There is no doubt that this *is* an achievement and the author should be lauded for it, but I want to make clear to a lot of people reading this thread that mods like this get infinitely more tricky the further you get into them. Adding syncing animation, the ability to attack mobs, what happens when one player is in one zone and someone else takes a portal to a new one? Or dies and rezzes in town? I've just seen to many people get worked up over multiplayer for Oblivion, etc when they see mods starting off like this and then complaining, not understanding why development stops somewhere down the line. It's hard work and I hate to see people popping back into this thread weeks, months and years for now driving the author crazy with questions of "Is it done yet!?" If the author is seriously dedicated to this as a project and plans to take it to completition, awesome, and I'm sure he'll say so. Otherwise don't count on playing this with your friends online in month or two.

*takes hat off*

Christ I hope I can play this with my friends online in a few months. Is it done yet?
  • ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS! HOPE THIS GETS WORKING and running! :p
    Menace gifted my tochlight at steam for free! Ty very much! Had no money to buy it :( TY again!
  • /applause

:D
  • kudos. Hope this goes in the right direction, by the way it's already a great step ahead. :D
  • heron wrote:
    Sobersean wrote:
    If coop ever goes live, the same people clamoring for it will be the same people complaining about how easy the game has become and how unbalanced it is now. :lol:

we can always ramp up the difficulty and tweak the class for co-op via the TorchED or some form of modding.

Heron, you do realize it entails re-balancing every single thing in the game. Is that going to take, one day? One month? 6 months? 18 months? How long.

A short list:

All items.
    All drop rates.
    All skills.
    All buffs.
    All debuffs.
    All minions.
    All spawn rates (globally)
    All stats
    All mitigation
    All damage
    All modifiers
    All health values for players
    All health values for mobs
    All health values for pets and summons

Across 4 difficulty levels.

And that's just a tiny example, and for only ONE player! Now do that again each time a new player enters the game and make liquid adjustment to all of those to compensate.

In a sense, rewrite everything in the game that is balanced currently for single player, but do it multiple times until it's balanced or it's pointless. Nobody want's an unbalanced system, but I'm sure they'll live with it for a short time until they lose interest and I won't stop anyone from trying. I'm just pointing out the obvious that nobody cares to mention.

Yes it's possible, and I'm not saying it isnt. And I'm not being facetious. It would have to be a total conversion or you would have a completely unbalanced game. And in stead of "add coop!" you would see "why is this so miserable of an experience in co-op." until it was done.

But, let the flames begin, kill the messenger or whatever haha. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow and will make people angry at someone showing them this ugly side of things. Instead of them going "oh man, he's right, it would be like re-writing the entire contents of the game" they'll be like "Kill him kill the infidel!". No worries I'm internet proof :lol:

Oh and a quick edit just to say, what I said will hold true today, tomorrow, next week etc...so I won't bother arguing with anyone over it but you're welcome to flame/curse whatever you need to do so get it off your chest, but unfortunately I won't revisit this post, so to spare others that sort of nonsense, please send it to me via a PM if you must, so I can just delete in private. Thanks in advance!
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • theguytheguy Posts: 39
    this is some awesome stuff, i wont get my hopes up though, but i will bw checking to see how progress goes.

If you can make this happen though i think runic should hire you.
    theguy wrote:
    this is some awesome stuff, i wont get my hopes up though, but i will bw checking to see how progress goes.

If you can make this happen though i think runic should hire you.
    Face>Palm.

Runic doesn't want multiplayer in the game. The whole point of Torchlight was to drive people to their upcoming MMO.
  • Orakk wrote:
    Will this work with the Steam version of the game?
    Possibly, if I remember from the demo I played it had less DRM protection on it, but I would have to look.
    Vis wrote:
    Runic doesn't want multiplayer in the game. The whole point of Torchlight was to drive people to their upcoming MMO.
    They haven't explicitly stated either way where they stand with it, if they're really against multiplayer I would probably drop the project.

I'm working on this in my spare time outside of doing my thesis so I don't really know how far along it will go, I'll probably continue to chug along on it. As stated before there is quite a bit more work involved even with simple stuff. If you notice only the player position is being transferred, so there's a lot more data to find and synchronize.
  • Hey,
    Yes it does get more complex to build something like this. That's part of the fun™
    I'm offering to help out if the original poster wants/needs it. I'm a C++ coder.

For the record. this wouldn't be to compete with the MMO. there wouldn't be a point to that. this would be so 2-3 people could play on a lan or via direct IP. I get the feeling there would be far too much information to send over the network.
    I've seen the oblivion multiplayer mod. it "works" however the problem was that there was too many variables to sink over the network. i.e. even a gigabit network connection just lagged too much for it to be playable.
    in theory there wouldn't be as much information to send (compared to other games).

Example of data to send:

On Load:
    current equipment, player stats, current player/pet/summons/enemy positions.
    who has the authoritive connection i.e. which pc makes the major decisions about damage, spells, items generated, level generation, etc.

Every milli second:
    player/pet/summons/enemy positions, health, animation

On level up:
    new player stats, skills, etc.
  • Sobersean wrote:
    heron wrote:
    Sobersean wrote:

Heron, you do realize it entails re-balancing every single thing in the game. Is that going to take, one day? One month? 6 months? 18 months? How long.
    ..cut..

I don't see it as a critical point, probably already now there is one "pilot" difficulty and the other are based on a multiplier (life, strength, magic capabilities, drop rate), we'll really see with the editor, but people is already complaining now about drop rate and difficulty, so if both will be adjusted to reach the state of art, i don't see the point in making it a bit harder for a coop :)

About the numbers of items dropped, making a cooperative introduce the concept of "compromise" in the party IMHO, i understand that people desire to have its own drop but not always happens, so it could be left as is. IMHO many thing are quickly adjustable. The main issue is (and in that case isn't a thing provided by the coop mod but from a concept error) how balanced the classes are among themselves. Alchemist seems much powerful compared to the other 2 classes, adjust the skill could be the other side solution to complete the work. But i don't think it's all a work that has to do Drivehappy :) If the editor will be powerful and user friendly as we all hope, making a collage of all the better mods will bring a complete enough experience :)