Whats the comfirmed Fame cap?

Comments

• brophogbrophog Posts: 128
    KCornelius wrote:
    If we added enough fame ranks to make it an even 150, the next thread would be "150 skill point?! That's too few! That makes no sense? Why can I max only 10 skills?". Chances are, most people would not max out exactly 10 skills, anyhow.

Of course, that always happens. It's never enough. Give someone the world and they'll ask why not the entire galaxy. But why 32? What was the thought process behind that number? Even if people wouldn't max 10 skills, some multiple of 15 just makes sense given the tendency to max skills and the forethought that went into making a tier structure in the active skill trees.
  • KCornelius wrote:
    If we added enough fame ranks to make it an even 150, the next thread would be "150 skill point?! That's too few! That makes no sense? Why can I max only 10 skills?". Chances are, most people would not max out exactly 10 skills, anyhow. There are a lot of utility skills you leave at 1 point, or maybe 5 to get the first tier bonus. Some skills you can choose to only use for their effect, and investment raises the mana cost, and thus decreases the utility you glean from that skill. Frankly, my character could use another 53 points (I am demigod and lvl 100, and just counted) to max out all the other skills that could help my build. That number is going to vary from player to player, and we had to make the cap somewhere. That being said, it does make me weigh my choices more heavily, because I know that I cannot max everything.

I actually do understand what your saying. On my Embermage, I only have 1 point in Frost Phase, as an escape tool, I dont need it for damage, or to rev up the mana cost since I will likely be spamming it when I need an escape. But the number you left us at for skill points is just unusual. 132? At the very least make it an even number, 140 or 135 would make sense.

But the real problem is all the theorycrafters have accepted 150 as the magic number based on a few reasons. 50 is just a magic number people like, it lets you max 10 skills entirely. It was, or rather what I thought the cap was in TL1, from what I read. Also with 150, you can max out an entire skill tree and half of another, for whatever reason people would choice so. But 150 made sense and was accepted as the most logical choice for a skill point cap, but 132 is just the most unusual.
  • DigiDan wrote:
    I actually do understand what your saying. On my Embermage, I only have 1 point in Frost Phase, as an escape tool, I dont need it for damage, or to rev up the mana cost since I will likely be spamming it when I need an escape. But the number you left us at for skill points is just unusual. 132? At the very least make it an even number, 140 or 135 would make sense.

But the real problem is all the theorycrafters have accepted 150 as the magic number based on a few reasons. 50 is just a magic number people like, it lets you max 10 skills entirely. It was, or rather what I thought the cap was in TL1, from what I read. Also with 150, you can max out an entire skill tree and half of another, for whatever reason people would choice so. But 150 made sense and was accepted as the most logical choice for a skill point cap, but 132 is just the most unusual.
    2 is my favorite odd number while 5 is my favorite even number too :3

That being said, I originally planned for 100 since I was unsure of the fame cap. Now that I know, I get to expand my build~ I knew it was higher than 100, but I figured having a solid build at 100 then expanding it w/ fame points was the better approach.
  • Why not just plan it with 100-120 points and leave the rest of the fame points for customization on the players end or for "screwup" leeway points?

Isn't this a good thing? People were whining about 150 being too much a week or so ago.
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • KCornelius wrote:
    If we added enough fame ranks to make it an even 150, the next thread would be "150 skill point?! That's too few! That makes no sense? Why can I max only 10 skills?". Chances are, most people would not max out exactly 10 skills, anyhow. There are a lot of utility skills you leave at 1 point, or maybe 5 to get the first tier bonus. Some skills you can choose to only use for their effect, and investment raises the mana cost, and thus decreases the utility you glean from that skill. Frankly, my character could use another 53 points (I am demigod and lvl 100, and just counted) to max out all the other skills that could help my build. That number is going to vary from player to player, and we had to make the cap somewhere. That being said, it does make me weigh my choices more heavily, because I know that I cannot max everything.

With 132 you cant max 1 Skill Tree, and can only go to 12 on your 2nd passive.

If you bump it up to at least 135 you could max 9/10 skill in 1 tree, and the choice would be which active/passive skill you drop.

Really just add 3 more ranks to round it off.
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    Wow. Now there is an even stronger reason for a full respec option.

I also agree that at the very least, the amount of skill points should have stopped at 135, not 132. That's just... really weird, and is going to drive so many people completely crazy. I also like to max out skills, and having one eternally unmaxed is going to make me pull my hair out.
  • MeemoMeemo Posts: 644
    Zepheyr wrote:
    Wow. Now there is an even stronger reason for a full respec option.

I also agree that at the very least, the amount of skill points should have stopped at 135, not 132. That's just... really weird, and is going to drive so many people completely crazy. I also like to max out skills, and having one eternally unmaxed is going to make me pull my hair out.

It's one of those famous intentional "design decisions". It's clearly made to infuriate people with OCD.
    fs_overall.png
  • Zepheyr wrote:

It is driving me bonkers...
    I just have no idea why they would stop at 132. I just... I just... Oh, ****... I can't take it.
  • DigiDan wrote:
    KCornelius wrote:
    132? At the very least make it an even number, 140 or 135 would make sense.

Even number? Would 130 make sense to you? :p
    "I really don't give a ****. People give too many **** these days and someone needs to balance it out."
  • Well this changes things. I might have to re-roll. :)
  • vosszaavosszaa Posts: 117
    eag0S.jpg

After Demigod you get "Unattainable"
  • Beelzeboss wrote:
    DigiDan wrote:
    KCornelius wrote:
    132? At the very least make it an even number, 140 or 135 would make sense.

Even number? Would 130 make sense to you? :p

Cuz everyone here will settle to lose those 2 skill points, when this whole discussion is really about getting a higher cap.
    vosszaa wrote:
    eag0S.jpg

After Demigod you get "Unattainable"

Yet you don't even get a skill point for reaching "Unattainable"
  • Well, this is interesting. Glad we got an official response to end the speculation! Now to figure out who was the random person that first decided there'd be about 50 fame skill points based off TL 1 and spread it until EVERYONE thought it was fact.
    Well, this is interesting. Glad we got an official response to end the speculation! Now to figure out who was the random person that first decided there'd be about 50 fame skill points based off TL 1 and spread it until EVERYONE thought it was fact.

Right, because 32 would've been a way more believable and logical guess. :roll:

50 was a common number and very good guess, in fact the fame ranks similarity to TL1 further reinforce this fact until someone actually hit fame cap to find out that something was actually a little off.

Either way 32 is still a hilariously bad number, there is no reason for such a bad cap other than to align it to the number of fame titles. Why Runic didn't just copy over the system from TL1 still blows my mind.
    fs_overall.png
  • I have OCD, this is going to drive me nuts! :lol:

150 does make alot of sense, it allows maxing out of 1 complete tree, so 3 characters of the same type, you can have all skills maxed out. Also 150 skill points results in 10 skills maxed which feels right and proper. 132 just feels wrong.

Is there any chance of a future patch increasing the max skill points from 132 ---> 150?

It could be done by giving 2 skill points instead of 1 at certain levels of experience or fame or both. Also, possible bonus 18 skill points given via quests in game, possible?

At 150, I don't there will be very many players who want more than that.

I do however think the very best min/max character builds will involve having just 1 skill point in certain skills or perhaps enough for 1 tier(ie 5sps) or 2 tiers (10sps).
  • orion21orion21 Posts: 208
    Meglobob wrote:
    Is there any chance of a future patch increasing the max skill points from 132 ---> 150?

I'd like to have an answer to this question as well. Runic, I'm all right with making choices, but my skills look completely messy and unfinished with a few points missing here and there. 132 is just too odd a number. Please make it 150. Or at least 135, since that is a multiplier of 15 as well (so you still need to skip one skill in your skill tree or 3 "blocks" of skill tiers here and there).
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    I tested it out on a level 100 full fame character and only had the 132 or 133 whichever it was as well, was like why am i missing pnts.. mm!
    the 10 mil at the end sounds like its meant for more levels they didn't think anyone would level up to yet ;)
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    I got a question for you guys MAKING your chars, how do you bump them up through acts and NG games without replaying it
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • Guys, what does fame actually do? i know you level it, but does it allow you to buy better weapons from vendors and such?
    It gives you skill points. That's the reason people don't like the current cap, because 50 fame with 50 skill points would have been much better for builds.

For those like me who decided to max out one skill tab completely and/or OCD'lers: You could max out all the active skills and go up to 9 for the three passives. That way, you don't miss any tier bonus and it doesn't look TOO messy/incomplete, because the passives don't have tier blocks. I'm going to do it like this, unless the cap is increased.
    You also get skill points from completing side quests as well so the cap is not 132.
  • vosszaa wrote:
    You also get skill points from completing side quests as well so the cap is not 132.

Such as? Never heard of or experienced this.
    Me either. You gain fame from quests, so after completing one, there's a chance you raise a level in fame. Appearantly you misinterpreted this as gaining a fame level by completing the quest itself.
    orion21 wrote:
    Me either. You gain fame from quests, so after completing one, there's a chance you raise a level in fame. Appearantly you misinterpreted this as gaining a fame level by completing the quest itself.

Oh that might be the case.
  • DilwoDilwo Posts: 12
    If it's not in the game, modders will make it. I know alot of you people are like Y U NO 150 SKILL POINTS. But think about it. It's really not that bad... All the people begging and whining for full respecs are reminding me of the diablo 3 community, and it's awful. I mean, this is the style of game this is. You mess up your character, start over. I love it. I've remade my characters from scratch twice already. And I didn't even think 150 was the cap. I thought 100 was. Doh!

Anyways, just have fun with it. It's not like the game is some horribly boring deathtrap with nothing but cheap deaths and boring fights like some mmo. This game is a ton of fun to play, and I enjoy the beginning game just as much as the endgame, which is why I think this game is so great. There's no "Endgame is the only fun part of the game" as you see in a lot of progression based games.
    Dilwo wrote:
    If it's not in the game, modders will make it. I know alot of you people are like Y U NO 150 SKILL POINTS. But think about it. It's really not that bad... All the people begging and whining for full respecs are reminding me of the diablo 3 community, and it's awful. I mean, this is the style of game this is. You mess up your character, start over. I love it. I've remade my characters from scratch twice already. And I didn't even think 150 was the cap. I thought 100 was. Doh!

Anyways, just have fun with it. It's not like the game is some horribly boring deathtrap with nothing but cheap deaths and boring fights like some mmo. This game is a ton of fun to play, and I enjoy the beginning game just as much as the endgame, which is why I think this game is so great. There's no "Endgame is the only fun part of the game" as you see in a lot of progression based games.

You are really missing the point of why people are whining.

There is really no point for the sp cap to be 132 other than because the fame titles are limited. There was also 32 titles in TL1 but that didn't stop progression at 132 sp.
    fs_overall.png
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    Wouldn't two more to round it at a nice 35 fame points be convenient enough without jeopardizing what Runic had in mind? It sounds at least bearable.
  • DocSunDocSun Posts: 126
    Yea this should be at least on par with the original TL, as it is now it feels like a step backwards. I know modders will expand it but I would have preferred to have at least the original game be on par level wise with the original.
    fs_overall.png
  • Dilwo wrote:

You don't need a mod; you can already do it in the console if you want. "skillpoints 18" will give you the 18 skill points you need to get to 150. I can't believe this is such a big deal... I thought it was just a curiosity when I first discovered it... no idea that people would get so worked up (and actually angry) over it. My fire embermage really only needs to max out 7 skills and put 1 point a couple of others (Will be finished around 115 skills), so I didn't really worry about it.
    Dilwo wrote:
    I can't believe this is such a big deal... [...] My fire embermage really only needs to max out 7 skills and put 1 point a couple of others (Will be finished around 115 skills), so I didn't really worry about it.

So you happen to be fine with that, but other people use different builds. Also, there are players who care about "order" or "asthetics", if you will, meaning that skills not maxed out look incomplete to them. That's what I think, too. And after all, it wouldn't hurt people like you if the fame cap was increased, would it? :)