Whats the comfirmed Fame cap?

124»

Comments

• orion21 wrote:
    Dilwo wrote:
    I can't believe this is such a big deal... [...] My fire embermage really only needs to max out 7 skills and put 1 point a couple of others (Will be finished around 115 skills), so I didn't really worry about it.

So you happen to be fine with that, but other people use different builds. Also, there are players who care about "order" or "asthetics", if you will, meaning that skills not maxed out look incomplete to them. That's what I think, too. And after all, it wouldn't hurt people like you if the fame cap was increased, would it? :)

Nope, I'd be completely fine with it if they increased the fame cap! :D I was just really surprised at the amount of anger that people have been expressing when their pre-assumed 50 fame levels turned out to be not true. I suppose some of it is understandable though, since that number 50 has been floating around for awhile now and the developers waited until now to tell us we're wrong haha.
  • brophogbrophog Posts: 128

Nope, I'd be completely fine with it if they increased the fame cap! :D I was just really surprised at the amount of anger that people have been expressing when their pre-assumed 50 fame levels turned out to be not true. I suppose some of it is understandable though, since that number 50 has been floating around for awhile now and the developers waited until now to tell us we're wrong haha.

Some of it is that disappointment, but a lot of it is that the number that is being used just doesn't make sense to many. In a system built around a 15 point max, and with tiers of 5 points, then a number not divisible by 15, or even 5, is quite out of place. 2, 7, 12 are not meaningful numbers in this system, but 5, 10, 15 are. I'm not going to speculate as to why this number for total skill points is what it is, but I do encourage discussion towards making it a number that better fits the structure of the design.
  • DilwoDilwo Posts: 12
    You are really missing the point of why people are whining.

There is really no point for the sp cap to be 132 other than because the fame titles are limited. There was also 32 titles in TL1 but that didn't stop progression at 132 sp.[/quote]

I was more talking about the whining and "You should at least give us free respecs" No they shouldn't, in no world would they. The playerbase decided on the number, I guess if the players had maybe... asked? I'm pretty sure Runic would've answered. But that's just my opinion, and sorry if it sounds rough :P
  • BrixtanBrixtan Posts: 2,289
    adoomgod wrote:
    Well this changes things.

Yeah, at least until we can mod a higher fame lvl cap into the game.
    brixtan_by_hawkn93-d49csvz.png
    "If a problem is too big to fix, one must break it into smaller problems."
    WoW Weapons & Armor Modding Guide
    I'm not sure a lot higher is needed. Let's face it, 150 was comfortable and that's why so many builds fit in it so well. 135 solves a lot of problems (see above posts) while maintaining uniqueness. The last thing I'd (personally) want in a game that is this random is a skill point cap that took away from the uniqueness of the builds. Too high of a skill point total goes against the overall design philosophy of the game.
  • orion21orion21 Posts: 208
    With 150 skill points, you can be as unique as with 150. Remember, there are 30 skills, not 10 (which you would be able to max out with 150 skill points). You, could, however, max out one complete skill tab, if you wish to. This would be like a "default way" without bothering too much with decisions. But I don't know many players who would do that, most of them don't restrict themselves to one skill tab. And even with 132 points you can have a "default, decisionless way" or dealing with the huge variety of skill combinations: max out one tab, but the passives only up to rank 9 each. With 135 points, it would be rank 10 eachs.

So all the fame cap does for players who want to max out one skill tab and are forced by Runic to still make decisions within that one skill tab, is that it doesn't let them get all out of their passive skills. At least that's what I understand what Runics intention was to cap it at 132: Don't give players the chance to simply stick to one skill tree but make "meaningful decisions", but well, how meaningful is the decision to still stick to one skill but at the cost of some passive ranks?
  • My only problem now:
    I got 12 skill points left over nowhere to place due to tiers.
    The meat of most skills are in the 3rd tier.

Either add 3 or add 18 to the equation.

>_>
    2, 7, and 12 are not significant numbers in this system and those are the remainder values one would find with a total like 132. I'm quite baffled, honestly, why the work would be put into a tier structure to entice putting multiple points into a skill and yet leave the total skill number at a value that doesn't fit that system. The two ideas are not congruent. IMO, 135 makes the most logic given the structures inherent in the skill system. It's not only divisible by 15, but also by 9. It's a great number for this system.
124»