The Canoneer- A detailed Guide to Abilities and Priorities.

VallhaelVallhael Posts: 27
edited January 2015 in Engineer Discussions
Introduction:
Greeting Folks,

My name is Vallhael and I'm a very experiences Hack&Slay player with over 12 years of experience in games like Diablo I+II+Lod+III, Sacred I+II, Torchlight and many others. I have spend the last 4 days pretty much exclusively playing torchlight II and experimenting with characters, finding out optimal builds, stat combinations and skill usages. My main focus was on the Engineer and Embermage and today, I want to present you my findings on the Engineer Canon Spec so far. All findings are based on my OWN experience and may not be 100% accurate. If you find something you disagree with, post it in a comment. Lets begin with the skills. *Warning, my contain inappropriate language, spelling mistakes and bad humor*

SKILLS:
Foreword: In Torchlight 2 the Max level is 100 and Max fame level is 32 (at least that’s where it capped out for me), which brings us to 132 skill points. While reading my analysis you might wonder why I did not include Fusillade. The answer is, that after hours of testing Fusillade at different ranks in different areas and different encounters, with different builds, I deemed it simply unplayable in too many situation. While Fusillade is completely overwhelming in pure single target fights, especially vs slower enemies (a perfect example is chillhoof) where it deals TONS of damage, since every rocket procs damage over time effects, i must sadly admit that in 90% of the boss encounters it is pretty much useless. The poor targeting A.I. will make at least 50% of the rockets miss the boss, despite the 3meter aoe explosions, some heavy multitarget encounters like Cracklebitch will become nearly unbeatable. With this said, the only ability left to really center a build around is Blast Canon (yeees I know about spider mines, keep reading please..)

THE CORE BUILD:
(Importance in descending order, skills that are labeled with 1/15 should be taken immediately when available)

Forcefield 15/15:
Best ability in the game. Low mana costs, excellent utility, high casting speed at rank 15 and the only thing that makes you survive New Game+ on Elite without wanting to commit suicide or renting a Tankgineer. Use it whenever available, don't enter fights when its down, if it gets destroyed reapply as soon as the CD is gone. Some bosses in NG+ Dish out aoe abilities that hit you for 200% of your HP and are really hard to dodge. Luckily, at lvl 60 Forcefield will already absorb approx. 120% of your HP without any charge, at lvl 100 its between 200 and 400%.

Healbot 15/15:
Not much to say here. Health, mana, Damage reduction and an increasing revenue with every point spend, bringing the buff to an 80% up time at lvl 15. Once cast, he lives forever or until you change the zone. If you don't take it, you're doing something seriously wrong.

Sledgebot 15/15:
Insane damage, next to unkillable, draws enemy aggro and has an up time of 80% at tank 15. Use it as a cool-down till Rank 10, after that just spam it at fights whenever available. Profits from Minion damage and health exclusively.

Heavy lifting (15/15)

Buffs your dps by 30% which increases your blast canon dammage by approx 25-40% (heavy depending on your gear and your stats), Total dps increase of about 15-30%. This Information is Confirmed and tested on several occasions by several players.

Gunbot 15/15:

Oh **** I sometimes hate this skill so much...Gun bot might be the best Construction ability if not for his abnormal stupid A.I. You will be like this
Skills 1-4: Holy **** this guy ****..
Skills 5-9:...still ****...
Skills 10-14: Hey..this guy is actually not so horrible..
Skill 15: Oh my **** this guy is **** AWESOME!!!!
Just remember that this little **** needs you to have some decent amount of Armor degrading per hit, else 30-90% of his damage will simply be mitigated. Otherwise he profits from Minion damage and health .

Roflcopter (Immobilization copter) 15/15:
Yes, yes, i know this guy **** and I'm a dumb **** without a clue...except, not. This little copter is one of the best skills we got and mandatory for all Elite players. The slow works on everything except orange bosses, or it is reduced beyond noticing on them, but on everything else it works wonders. Vicious swift mobs who would destroy you turn into harmless critters which can be easily dodged and killed. Brutal casters who onehit you with their spells are suddenly not so scary any more because they keep getting interrupted. And perhaps I should point out that his shock damage is a solid dps boost of about 15-20%, just saying..

Blast Canon 15/15:

You might wonder why this comes so late in priority. The answer is simple: mana. So much mana. Our best dps skill is unfortunately the most mana consuming skill of the engineer, with a default cast speed of 0,6 seconds per +blast= 1,66667 casts a second. With 0% cast speed, this will still drain 56,67 mana per second at rank 15. Now perhaps you might see why Healbot is so mandatory. Still you should spam this skill whenever possible. Don't auto attack, as the dps loss is brutal, and drink a mana potion whenever you get low. Worth noting is that this skill is directly based on your total dps, including elemental damage, so if your cannon does fire damage exclusively, the whole skill will do fire damage. This sort of backfires for everything else except physical and fire damage, because those will not benefit from the skill internal damage boost.

Storm Burst 1/15:

Must have. You need the mobility this Skill provides in an endless amount of situation. Use it to escape prisons, grabs (you can use it while being dragged to break the effect), to gain distance to bosses, dodge skills, a.s.o. Oh and by the way, you can use this to increase your running speed when traveling the map.

Coup de Grace 1/15:
Very, very, very useful. The first rank is a musthave, the other 14 an interesting choice and will be discussed in secondary skills part. Especially on early levels the damage gain is significant.

Charge **** 1/15:
The only thing that builds us charge. Just like CDG, the other 14 are a viable investment but the first point is a must have and the highly empowered force field saved my life in aoe encounters countless times.

This uses up 108 Skillpoins and leaves us to spend 24 in "Secondary Skills" of minor priority.

SECONDARY SKILLS (in descending usefullness):

Spidermines (1 or 15/15):

Aaaaaahh..Spidermines....how i hate them. If you want a reliable dammage and stun source you have to invest 15 points, and these guys will still be only insignificantly better Blast canon dammage wise. One point is an option too if you wanna have a little army of drones at the beginning of an especially hard fight, but it wont have really much impact tbh. The only situation where 15/15 points are ABSOLUTELY mandatory is if you go for pet/minion dammage as a core stat which will be discussed in stat suggestions later. If you do go for it, use this little babies whenever possible and consider skilling them a higher priority than Blast Canon.

Tremor (1-15/15):
A great skill. Stun, knockback, survival boost, and most important, dammage boost of up too 38 for all your minions and your canon blast, as long as most of your dammage is physical (it consumes a charge though, so be carefull that you don't make your forcefield to weak). This skill, though, looses a lot of value if you use a Fire canon, in this case you should consider Fire and Spark.

Bulwark (1-15/15):
Free damage reduction. Always good if you're having troubles with some nasty mobs.

Dynamo Field (15/15)
Many people have asked me to mention this skill and I indeed deemed it worth mentioning at this point though I'm not one of its fans. This skill is a low dammage AOE skill that does
not apply anny /per5 effects but builds a moderate-high amount of charge extremly depending on the level (0,2 at rank 0, 0,48 at rank 15 increasing by 0,02 by each rank). Lets look on the pros and cons of that skill:

Pro:
A reliable source of charge for multi target encounters. At rank 11 Using it twice on 4 targets will genrate exactly 4 charge...
that can be used to tripple the power of your next forcefield, which leads to:
A solid surviveability boost on Multitarget encounters.

Cons:
Not viable in singel target fights. No discussions here!
Always a dps loss over BC. Especially bad on higher levels.
> In order to make up for the dps loss of blast canon you have tom stand still longer and keep using blast canon when u would normally use storm burst to gain pace. This will DEFINITELY work on Veteran. This will MOST LIKELY work on low dmg Trash groups on Elite. This will SOMETIMES work und High dmg Trashgroups or Bossed with low dmg adds. This will get you most likely KILLED on bossed with Hard hitting trash.

Truth be told, on Elite the most nasty Enemies dish out 20-25k hits. With a normal 0 charge forcefield this will drop you to smth between 10 and 90% with forcefield up, sometimes a bit of it will be left but u should still reapply it when cd's ready. With an empowered Forcefield you can take up to 3 hits before retreating. Usually, its simply not worth the risk.

Fazit: Dynamo Field is not exactly viable for increasing your dps. It CAN be used as a boost to your surviveability if you have problems with it, it is a decent idea on ****, because if you combine Movement+dynamo field up to 4-5 charges+forcefield+bulwark+tremors+healbot it will literally take some deus ex machina to kill you. But outside of **** engineers should have 0 to little survival issues even on elite at higher level because force field just ranks up so ungodly hard. You literally have to stand still and lets slow hard hitting bosses slap you in your face to die..

It is a good recommendation for very lazy casual/normal/vetran players though, since a 4-5 charges forcefield will let you must likely tank throught the next 15-30 seconds completly...

Charge **** (2-15):
More Charge=More Forcefield=less death. Only works for Multitarget encounters though where enemy adds will keep dieing from your aoe.

Coup de Grace (2-15)

If you really want this poor trashmobs mutilated..not really necessary, though.

Fire and Spark (1-15/15)
If you have a lot of fire dammage, this skill is a really good dps boost. If not, its next to useless and only buffs your coup de grace. *Updated: It is confirmed that there is currently no HIGH level (80+) fire cannon in the Game. Best in Slot is currently a Rune Canon with 4 times [LINK DELETED] which deals 3970!! physical dammage (wrong tooltipp in armory) over 5 seconds and every dot works parallel, its not just refreshing itself (or 3 times the skull and an armor penetration +750 per hit one for minion heavy builds). WHICH MEANS THE SKILL IS CURRENTLY HIGHLY UNDESIREABLE!!*

BAD SECONDARY OPTIONS (Warning! do no get those skills. I write them down because some people acutally do and I want to discourage them):

Shock grenade(15/15):
All our charge goes to Forcefield or Tremor, so this will never be a real aoe stun. The damage is horrible, the radius small, and not even its procc chance can really shine. While this may last longer than other stuns, its horrible damage loss over any other skill makes it unworthy of ever casting. Hands, off!!

Seismic Slam (15/15):
Remember what i said about Shock grenades? Same goes for this. Except the radius is bigger on higher levels...

Storm burst (15/15)
Ehm, so if you want me to label you Sir Chargealot you might actually put another 14 points here for even more mobility. But, honestly, please don't. 2 sec CD is perfectly fine.

Aegis of Fate (15/15)
This skill can not procc while forcefield is up. On average, you survive 2 hits on higher levels Elite difficulty before going down to the third. Some mobs might onehit you. Aegis of Fate has a 16% to procc after a hit and absorbs enough to barely eat another hit. If, after reading this, you still deem this skill worth of putting 15 points into it, please move on to another guide.

TLDR: Here are 3 builds for the lazy ones of you who did not read my analysis or want some final suggestions, and one bad build which is a remnant from an older update:

General, solid and viable physical damage build: [LINK DELETED]
High level (95+) Minion dammage build (does more dammage in absolute endgame, but less in early/midgame and has a bitt less surviveability): [LINK DELETED]
Super high survival (a.k.a. I'd rather bore you to dead than die myself) build: [LINK DELETED]

Fire dammage Canon build (if you found a full fire damage canon, this build will melt faces...otherwise its not viable): [LINK DELETED] (The fire Cannon is a lie!)

I hope you enjoyed my first part of the guide to the cannoneer engineer. Stat priorities and strategies will be added very soon. If you have questions do not hesitate to write a comment or pm me, if you want to criticize or add something i also highly encourage you to post a comment. If you liked the guide vote for sticky or leave a positive comment.

We now officially have more views than the forum rules :D cheriot!

*Updated to Include Heavy lifting*

*Updated some skills and skill priorities, added dynamo field*

Comments

• <Reserved>
  • Cool stuff continue post your though you get one reader. :-)
  • good start, but you have coup de grace twice, and have a lot of 15/15's that i don't think you meant to put there.

also disagree about attack speed being useless. quicker speed = quick mana leech back = more spam. i tried using a higher damage but woefully slower cannon and it was awful. the PRACTICAL dps and damage were much lower as a result of not being able to 1) spam normal attacks as damage 2) get mana returned as part of that to continue cannon spamming. might be personal preference on how i play my engi tho.
  • decoyboy wrote:
    good start, but you have coup de grace twice, and have a lot of 15/15's that i don't think you meant to put there.

also disagree about attack speed being useless. quicker speed = quick mana leech back = more spam. i tried using a higher damage but woefully slower cannon and it was awful. the PRACTICAL dps and damage were much lower as a result of not being able to 1) spam normal attacks as damage 2) get mana returned as part of that to continue cannon spamming. might be personal preference on how i play my engi tho.

Hello decoyboy,
    I have coup de grace and charge **** twice, because the first point in both is mandatory while further points (rank 2-15, as listed) are secondary options, same for storm burst by the way. And I have a very high passive mana regen on my char with heal bot at 30-50 per second , so i basically never have to auto attack and can close mana lows easy with a mana potion. I will discuss mana leech tomorrow or wednesday though, and give a detailed explanation why its a non desireable stat. When i have 15/15 somewhere then i regard the skill only competitive when its maxed, 1-15/15 means any value between 1-15 is ok.
  • Why no love for Heavy Lifting? Is it just because you just use blast cannon exlusively?

EDIT: Also, why do you only pump STR? Wouldn't pumping some DEX(to 50) and VIT be better?
  • SeobeSeobe Posts: 46
    Heavy lifting buffs blast cannon dps. 30%ish attack speed increases your weapon dps which increases your blast cannon damage, why would you not grab it?
  • i believe max fame is lv 50 not 32
  • Seobe wrote:
    Heavy lifting buffs blast cannon dps. 30%ish attack speed increases your weapon dps which increases your blast cannon damage, why would you not grab it?
    Hello Seobe,
    interessting thought which proved correct, i thought it only affected the speed of auto attacks. I will edit my build immidiately.

And Max fame is 33 with rank one being default, it was tested and confirmed, but the last rank takes 10000000 fame, which is almost unrealistic to achieve, so acutally you should calculate 131 skillpoints.
    Glad it was helpful, I'm lurking over canon builds to see how my next one should go. I've already butchered the first one pretty badly.
  • Hello guys and OP,

I love the build that i see here and i'll make use of it without a doubt.

The only thing which i'm not able to put my finger on is the STAT build, i know you stated above that you will update it later but reading the latests posts you've got a lot to do so i'm asking the OP or anyone else reading this could you please give me an stat order like 3+STR 1+DEX 1+VIT or what ever i've read alot of people go pure STR though i'm playing HCE, i still think the little extra HP helps out 1 hit extra does make a difference.

Thanks beforehand,
  • Just one question: why should the spidermines be better than the shock granade? the stun effect of the granade is three times as long as that of the mines, and it also interrupts...
  • Berija wrote:
    Just one question: why should the spidermines be better than the shock granade? the stun effect of the granade is three times as long as that of the mines, and it also interrupts...

Because spidermines do 2-5 times the damage of a shock grenade. If you use Spider mines you will be using them for the damage in the minion damage build, the stun on spidermines has a 98,44% chance, so its significantly more reliable and anyway stunning is not a problem since your blast canon will chainstun most trash anyway.

To stat distribution, I'm currently still fine tunning the formula and trying to simplyfy it as right now it has 8 variables and is more complicated than most of what I did in my first year in University. A Basic guideline is though that you should be aiming at 45-50 vitality unbuffed and 60-65 buffed and keeping your dex somewhere between one quarter and one third of your strength level. Focus can be ignored unless you use a pure elemental weapon, in which case you should aim to have it at roughly 50-70% of your strength depending on your crit chance.

So basically bring your vitality to a point where you can wear most gear and then go 15 str:5 dex statwise (4 level count).
    Nelisjuh wrote:
    Hello guys and OP,
    --snip--

I ran 2 str 2dex 2 vit on my first play through and I wasn't seeing any advantage to only one vit. I think right now you're better off ignoring vit and grabbing health and +armor on gear instead. I'd say probably 5 str or 4str 1 dex until 50-60 dex is your best bet.
  • StoxStox Posts: 43
    Hey, good guide btw, you went over the most important points. The only point I would disagree is to have Tremor on a higher priority than 1. Maxing this skill gives up to 120% added bonus physical damage and is the main boost to your main dps.

But even more important is that it gives a way to interrupt boss spells that essentially help control fights and prepare for big incomring damage.

I realize that we are talking about Elite mode here, but imo, Tremor gives: the added stuns, chance to flee, dps boost, knockback. 100% interrupt every 10 secs, a side-effect of being marker of targets when screen get cluttered, bonus AoE damage - that makes this skill so useful and I'd put it equivalent or even higher in priority than bulwark.

gj, and hopefully, you can add a FAQ section where it answers the common questions of: what type of damage does BC do, how to stat allocation pts go for cannoneers, and how C.d.G. works with BC and so on..

Cheers.
  • Stox wrote:
    The only point I would disagree is to have Tremor on a higher priority than 1. Maxing this skill gives up to 120% added bonus physical damage and is the main boost to your main dps.

Hello Stox, could you please elaborate on that 120% dmg bonus? cause accoirding to my tooltipp, and my testing, it gives up to 38%
  • Vallhael wrote:
    Stox wrote:
    The only point I would disagree is to have Tremor on a higher priority than 1. Maxing this skill gives up to 120% added bonus physical damage and is the main boost to your main dps.

Hello Stox, could you please elaborate on that 120% dmg bonus? cause accoirding to my tooltipp, and my testing, it gives up to 38%

I think you just overlooked it. Take a second look at any of the builds you posted from Torchlight2Armory, hover on the Tremor skill, and look right below the Mana cost and cooldown info. At 15/15 the skill states "Inflicts 120% of Weapon DPS".

Nice guide, btw. I'm not quite far enough into the game to offer much feedback, although I am having tons of fun with Spidermines! We'll see how long that lasts.
  • Yes ofc it deals 120% dmg, but its about Increase in total physical damage we're talking about, and it increases all pyhsical dammage done to enemies by 38%. The 120% are kinda irrelevant for us since we wont use charge for that skill.
  • MettyxMettyx Posts: 111
    No mentioning of Overload and Dynamo Field??
    Torchlight 2 Armory hasn't been updated to the new tooltips that are shown in game, if you check on the 15/15 Tremor skill, it should state that it'll add 120% physical damage taken on enemies affected by the skill.

Thus, it affects not only boosting any physical damage that is casted by you (i.e. Blast Cannon or Auto attacks) but it should also affect any other members of your party that use physical damage and pets.

Unfortunately, there's no clear way to showing how much damage this skill can do on a stat sheet, since it is a debuff on your enemies, but I have seen my damage increase by more than 2.5X just by casting this on a dummy and spamming Blast Cannon on it.

The charge effect of Tremor is just a discernable bonus, I definetly agree, and those charges are much more useful on spending on a 5 stack Force Field. I only state the importance of Tremor, because at endgame levels I find that there are no other big damage multipliers for Blast Cannon in the skill tree other than Tremor. At around level 70+ Tremor greatly speeds up the process of killing bosses and champions for me.

All the survivablily bonus of Tremor is also nothing to skoff at, imo. So, I suggested that the skill should be placed a bit higher in priority. It is totally up to you on how you build a Cannoneer ( more damage oriented or more survivabily oriented)

I play on VG+ and my Cannoneer isn't in Elite games, thus, this is probably why I would prefer maxing out Tremor before Force Field. So, this guide makes perfect sense to me. However, for the general mass that is reading the guide, I think inputting that Tremor >FF might be more ideal at a faster leveling rate.

Again, nice work on the guide.

Kudos.
  • Vallhael wrote:
    Berija wrote:
    Just one question: why should the spidermines be better than the shock granade? the stun effect of the granade is three times as long as that of the mines, and it also interrupts...

Because spidermines do 2-5 times the damage of a shock grenade. If you use Spider mines you will be using them for the damage in the minion damage build, the stun on spidermines has a 98,44% chance, so its significantly more reliable and anyway stunning is not a problem since your blast canon will chainstun most trash anyway.

Each spider mine has a 75% chance to cause the upgraded explosion that is capable of stunning for 2 seconds, otherwise they just do damage. Whereas Shock Grenades at max level have a 78% chance to stun for 6 seconds with a 6 meter explosion radius, with the added bonus of detonating exactly where you want. Spider mines are anything but reliable.
  • Forgive my ignorance, but your build priority seems to be very contradictory to me.

You say put 1/15 points in Spider Mines, and then later on you say put 15/15 into Shock grenade, but in its description you say Spider Mines is a far better skill and you should stay away from Shock Grenades...

Am I missing something? Your guides seems to do this a few times, so I am actually confused on this build. Can anyone clarify?
  • Stox wrote:
    Torchlight 2 Armory hasn't been updated to the new tooltips that are shown in game, if you check on the 15/15 Tremor skill, it should state that it'll add 120% physical damage taken on enemies affected by the skill.

Thus, it affects not only boosting any physical damage that is casted by you (i.e. Blast Cannon or Auto attacks) but it should also affect any other members of your party that use physical damage and pets.

Guess either I'm dumb or my game is bugged. I made a screenshot
    http://postimage.org/image/sh12qpnmr/
    of my Lvl 15 tremor and it clearly states that Physical damage taken (on enemies) is increased by 38%. This approx matches my resuslts in game e.g. turning 12k crits to 16k crits, it evidently stacks additivly with the buff of blast cannon.
    Mettyx wrote:
    No mentioning of Overload and Dynamo Field??
    I thought about adding dynamo field to secondary section, really did. But tbh with a little bit of movement a lvl 15 force field on higher levels offers you more than enough protection for 8 seconds, and I never deemed Overload a viable option for Canoneer builds since even with 5 charges it just barely exceeds Blast Canon in damage (between 10 and 60% for me and considering its range i'd rather go with blast canon). For melee builds, sure, in some cases its cool, but not for cannon builds. I'll add dynamo field in secondary though tommorow and explain why it isn't perhaps the best choice.
  • galacticz wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but your build priority seems to be very contradictory to me.

You say put 1/15 points in Spider Mines, and then later on you say put 15/15 into Shock grenade, but in its description you say Spider Mines is a far better skill and you should stay away from Shock Grenades...

Am I missing something? Your guides seems to do this a few times, so I am actually confused on this build. Can anyone clarify?

You sort of missed a) The DESCENDING priority i pointed out in the secondary skills Into
    b) The "Bad secondary Options" that are above shock grenades, which should basically label them as, uhm, BAD SECONDARY CHOICES.
    But, ok, I'll make it big and red in the OP aswell.
    EnvyUK wrote:
    Each spider mine has a 75% chance to cause the upgraded explosion that is capable of stunning for 2 seconds, otherwise they just do damage. Whereas Shock Grenades at max level have a 78% chance to stun for 6 seconds with a 6 meter explosion radius, with the added bonus of detonating exactly where you want. Spider mines are anything but reliable.

You do not seem to get my point. I am not saying shock grenade is a worse stun than spider mines. I'm saying its an awful skill with awful damage and that we simply don't NEED its stun, because with heavy lifting every Cannon Blast has a 65% chance to stun irresistant mobs and resistant mobs can not be reliably stunned anyway. And 4 meter radius, btw, is small. I can really think of no situation were i would prioritze this skill over blast canon, except for maybe the Genii's arena where you could CC some of those OP archers and dispose of the others quickly. But, thats kinda the only situation where i would ever use it.
  • Seobe wrote:

I am having some hard time figuring this out
    BC benefit from weapon dps, and with higher atk speed mean higher dps.
    But then BC is affected by cast speed, so i am not sure if BC benefit from raw weapon dps or with heavy lifting passive effect in it. You know when you look at the dmg output in str section, it shows the dmg range and not the dps?

Can anyone confirmed?
    Vallhael you're toaqtlly right, and my screen has not been showing me the correct numbers, thanks for correcting me on that one. I looked at my items and taking off some of my +crit dmg gear has turned down my BC damage into normalized numbers.

I believe Heavy lifting affects auto attack only, you do get the stun bonus out of it, but the increase in fire rate doesn't apply to BC, I'll double check on that one tonight.
  • SerpeSerpe Posts: 67
    How are you sustaining mana for this build -- chugging mana pots, or gearing into mana/sec gems or something? Having a bit of trouble myself -- ranked up Blast Cannon to 10 for the Tier 2 bonus and realized now that that was probably a mistake mana-wise.
    Having healbot helps alot to recover mana.

I only chug mana pots for boss fights, foreverything else i just spam blast cannon till im out, use auto attack until my healbot gives my mana back, rinse and repeat. Pop tremor on anything that gets close, then blast them. You have so much blinds and stuns an knockbacks that nothing should really hurt you.

If you have a little mana on hit itmes, you auto attack and healbot should be more than enough to keep blast cannon at a high rate. Usually everything dies after 1-3 blastcannons anyways.
  • Whilst heavy lifting wont increase your main DPS by huge amounts I still think its worth investing some in. For the periods that you have no mana you maintain knockback and dmg and proc's at a decent rate of fire at least I hope so or I may need to start again :P

Guess I will find out for sure later, sods law says that its the one skill I have invested points in .. not actually spent more than 1 on anything else yet :P
  • [quote="Stox"
    I believe Heavy lifting affects auto attack only, you do get the stun bonus out of it, but the increase in fire rate doesn't apply to BC, I'll double check on that one tonight.[/quote]

You're right that it does not increase the fire rate, only cast speed does that. But it increases the your raw dps and therefore directly your BC dmg. I changed my HL from 0 to 15 and immidiatly felt and increase of approx 40% in dmg. The good think is, that this stacks multiplicative with tremor and bc debuff thus giving a raw dps increase of approx 0,498%, which is diminished by your other AS items. The formula is rather complicated...
  • MetroMetro Posts: 575
    Playing a cannon engineer on elite -- so far about halfway through act 3. Overall I agree with your choices but I would prioritize blast cannon and heavy lifting over the survival talents. Of course, just given the early progression curve you'll rank most of them up fairly evenly, anyway.