Who is the best summoner?

SeedersSeeders Posts: 302
My favorite class in Diablo 2 is the necromancer (skelemancer). I love supporting my army and watching them tear things apart. What do you think is the best summoner class in Torchlight 2? I tried to go summoner outlander, but it doesn't seem very effective. My friend's engineer has a lot of spider bots, which is kinda cool I guess. What other options are there?
vkSzm.jpg

Comments

  • TakiriTakiri Posts: 1,233
    All are great in my opinion. I am a huge fan of the Outlander summoning abilities though, as you can sit back and attack with your bow/ranged weapon, while letting your pets tank :D
    Takirisig2.jpg

    Please read this topic if you have time: viewtopic.php?t=38634
    Thank you! ^.^b
  • I would agree with Takiri. If you want an army to do your bidding, grab the shadowling spawning skills as an Outlander, hook yourself up with a crossbow or bow for the extra range and deck your pet out with summoning spell tomes. The skeleton archer tome is great if you find it.
  • You might also like to teach summon spells to your pet. That can give you up to four extra minions in your gang.
  • SeedersSeeders Posts: 302
    Ya i was trying outlander, but it just seemed weak early on. I guess I have to level up some other skills first so I can actually kill things. Bane breath seemed very hard to actually get a kill with because it wasn't doing enough damage.
    vkSzm.jpg
  • ShadesShades Posts: 548
    You might also like to teach summon spells to your pet. That can give you up to four extra minions in your gang.


    Odd thing about that: my pet does not appear to be summoning either of the two creatures it's supposed to be able to summon now. It knows the spells Silence I, Draining Touch II, Summon Nether Imp II, and Summon Archers III, yet I never see a single nether imp or skeleton archer join the battle on my behalf. It's using at least one of the first two spells (I see a red aura around it sometimes), but I haven't caught it summoning anything yet.
    If you were looking for the next Diablo, you've found the wrong game. This is not the game you're looking for. Move along. No, they're not going to fix that. It was a design decision. That's right, they did it on purpose. This is Torchlight.
  • TakiriTakiri Posts: 1,233
    Shades wrote:
    You might also like to teach summon spells to your pet. That can give you up to four extra minions in your gang.


    Odd thing about that: my pet does not appear to be summoning either of the two creatures it's supposed to be able to summon now. It knows the spells Silence I, Draining Touch II, Summon Nether Imp II, and Summon Archers III, yet I never see a single nether imp or skeleton archer join the battle on my behalf. It's using at least one of the first two spells (I see a red aura around it sometimes), but I haven't caught it summoning anything yet.

    They don't use all their skills on priority. It is kind of a randomly generated cast so to speak (At least it seems)

    If you load up your pet on purely summons, you have nothing to lose ^^
    Takirisig2.jpg

    Please read this topic if you have time: viewtopic.php?t=38634
    Thank you! ^.^b
  • SeedersSeeders Posts: 302
    I have noticed my pet summoning guys, not sure why its not working for you. Sometimes they summon them against one random mob and waste the CD, but oh well.
    vkSzm.jpg
  • ombraombra Posts: 1,008
    The outlander pets are quite strong, at least at the first playthrough. You have to pay attention what skills you use, because not every skill triggers the pets. I have learned it the hard way...
    Former Forum Nicks
    Hellgate London: Pumpkinnose
    Mythos: Sanguefreddo
  • Odd thing about that: my pet does not appear to be summoning either of the two creatures it's supposed to be able to summon now. It knows the spells Silence I, Draining Touch II, Summon Nether Imp II, and Summon Archers III, yet I never see a single nether imp or skeleton archer join the battle on my behalf. It's using at least one of the first two spells (I see a red aura around it sometimes), but I haven't caught it summoning anything yet.


    Is it possible you have your pet set to passive?
  • SeedersSeeders Posts: 302
    ombra wrote:
    The outlander pets are quite strong, at least at the first playthrough. You have to pay attention what skills you use, because not every skill triggers the pets. I have learned it the hard way...


    Thats another thing, it seemed like only using my weapon base attack would spawn the bats.
    vkSzm.jpg
  • ShadesShades Posts: 548
    Odd thing about that: my pet does not appear to be summoning either of the two creatures it's supposed to be able to summon now. It knows the spells Silence I, Draining Touch II, Summon Nether Imp II, and Summon Archers III, yet I never see a single nether imp or skeleton archer join the battle on my behalf. It's using at least one of the first two spells (I see a red aura around it sometimes), but I haven't caught it summoning anything yet.


    Is it possible you have your pet set to passive?
    Quite possible. In fact, that's apparently what he defaulted to, as I don't mess with those settings too much. Good catch! :mrgreen:


    ...yep. Switched him to defensive and got some nether imps.
    If you were looking for the next Diablo, you've found the wrong game. This is not the game you're looking for. Move along. No, they're not going to fix that. It was a design decision. That's right, they did it on purpose. This is Torchlight.
  • my favourite playstyle is the summoner but i was very frustrated if i begin to play torchlight 2. the spell drop rate is so broken that players dont has any spell at lvl 20. i found my first spell on lvl 11 and it was a healing spell and know i'm on 22 i dont find a spell anymore (it gives 194 various spells (because of levels)!!!). i won't continue playing until runic is fix the spell drop rate with a patch because a summoner is unplayable and i dont understand the reason for a low droprate of spells, that make no sense. i'm elite engineer.
  • My pet is set on aggressive and it only summons on rare occasions. It will have a full mana bar, but tends to wait until almost all the enemies are dead before summoning. Any reason the pet does not cast summon immediately upon first attack or are all spell casts sort of randomized for the pet?
  • needinfo wrote:
    my favourite playstyle is the summoner but i was very frustrated if i begin to play torchlight 2. the spell drop rate is so broken that players dont has any spell at lvl 20. i found my first spell on lvl 11 and it was a healing spell and know i'm on 22 i dont find a spell anymore (it gives 194 various spells (because of levels)!!!). i won't continue playing until runic is fix the spell drop rate with a patch because a summoner is unplayable and i dont understand the reason for a low droprate of spells, that make no sense. i'm elite engineer.


    You are having bad luck. By 20, I'd already found at least 5 spells.
  • 1 or 5, that make no difference. maybe there is no summon spell, what you want to do until lvl 20 as a summoner? waiting to get a skeleton spell on lvl 30? thats way to late
  • needinfo wrote:
    my favourite playstyle is the summoner but i was very frustrated if i begin to play torchlight 2. the spell drop rate is so broken that players dont has any spell at lvl 20. i found my first spell on lvl 11 and it was a healing spell and know i'm on 22 i dont find a spell anymore (it gives 194 various spells (because of levels)!!!). i won't continue playing until runic is fix the spell drop rate with a patch because a summoner is unplayable and i dont understand the reason for a low droprate of spells, that make no sense. i'm elite engineer.

    Sounds odd, i beat the game today and as far as i can remember i found tons of spells in quantity and variety. Even passive armor/weapon expertise to keep in the shared stash and trade among my characters.

    Did you mess up with the console commands perhaps?
    Red Queen - Fire Embermage Jabberwocky - Chakawary pet
    Alice - Outlander Dinah - Cat pet
    Mad Hatter - Berserker Dormouse - Ferret pet
    Caterpillar - Engineer Whoareyou - Bulldog pet
  • Seeders wrote:
    Ya i was trying outlander, but it just seemed weak early on. I guess I have to level up some other skills first so I can actually kill things. Bane breath seemed very hard to actually get a kill with because it wasn't doing enough damage.
    If you're running a Sigil build on your Outlander, you'll want to build up your Focus more to boost your magic damage.
    ..(>'o')> (::) <('o'<)..
    "Using them for wickedness would be like beating a unicorn to death with a bag of rainbows..."
    "There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs!"
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    I agree that the drop rate for spells is pretty random and inconsistent. My character had 6 or 7 spells by the time he was level 20, but my wife's character hadn't found a single one by that time. I'm having to give her all mine.
  • SeedersSeeders Posts: 302
    Seeders wrote:
    Ya i was trying outlander, but it just seemed weak early on. I guess I have to level up some other skills first so I can actually kill things. Bane breath seemed very hard to actually get a kill with because it wasn't doing enough damage.
    If you're running a Sigil build on your Outlander, you'll want to build up your Focus more to boost your magic damage.

    Hmm, ya maybe my stats are messed up.
    vkSzm.jpg
  • needinfo wrote:
    1 or 5, that make no difference. maybe there is no summon spell, what you want to do until lvl 20 as a summoner? waiting to get a skeleton spell on lvl 30? thats way to late

    You say to your friend "Hey, do you have any X spells?" And if you are forever alone, then you play an Engineer or Outlander with built-in summons.
  • For those who still did not get summon spell, just be patient and when you get to the Imperial Camp, you can buy spell, it is random, but it will have what you need.
    Jackalhead wrote:
    Modding is not equal to cheating. You don't 'mod' on your wife, do you?
    [Skill MOD] The World (merge 4 classes' skills into 1)
  • CoopertonCooperton Posts: 11
    *thread necromancy*

    In case anyone cares anymore. The best summoner in TL 2, is the Summoner Mod class.
    Linky: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =620437900
  • Cale75Cale75 Posts: 1
    they are all the best in my opinion. Many ability many choice.
    gclub
  • nuningnuning Posts: 1

    Hello nice to meet you

    Gclub มือถือ

Sign In or Register to comment.