jharrison's Sketchbook (Updated 12-22-09)

jharrisonjharrison Posts: 38
edited July 2010 in Art and Sound
SirDerpington had a good idea with creating his own sketchbook thread for his mod related work, so to keep things consistent, here is mine. 8-)
(In keeping with Derp's request, please refrain from posting your own/other's work here to avoid confusion).

Blocked in a weapon model based upon Sobersean's awesome "BigSword" concept.

Gonna try and cut a few Tris and make some minor proportion tweaks to make sure it fits well within the Destroyer's hand (a suggestion provided by RevengeInk in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=979 )

C&C is always welcome:
Edit(11-1-09): Proportion tweaks and Textured.

BigSword_Textured.jpgBigSword_Source.jpg

Edit (11-05-09):
Cant give Sobersean's concepts all the lovin' though. 8-)

Proportion tweaks and Textured.
CorpseCleaver_Textured.jpgCorpseCleaver_Source.jpg

Edit (12-22-09):
Decided to do one last model from the existing concept art here on the forums before moving onto my own.

Textured.
Dagger_Textured.jpgDagger_c.jpg

Comments

• Ooh, pretty.

Very nice lookin' weapons, and they nicely fit the TL art style. Nice. :D
  • Two questions:

1)How are you doing your textures onto models? UV Map & Baking? Sorry if those arent the correct terms(I mess around in blender)

2)Interested in helping out with the TCC project? You've certainly have the dedication and level of professionalism we are hoping to find. Especially your ability to work with others to deliver such a great looking game asset. Lots of artistic freedom in the project right now as we are still defining the world elements and looking for concept art to expand our entities.

I can't wait to see what else you add to your sketchbook!
    Something useful will end up here soon.
  • @Gorilla,
    As soon as we get the editor and I get it hooked up, I will send you the necessary files.

@Roar,
    Registered on the Wiki last night. Looking forward to seeing how things develop there 8-)
  • Put a little near white edging on that sword and your golden! Nice job!
    Freelance Artist: www.BradM3D.com
  • TjuhlTjuhl Posts: 42
    looking good, kudos.
  • Good stuff, I really like the look of that axe, can't wait to see the model of it textured.
  • New goods @ the top (11-5-09) ;)
  • What a trip. they both came out real nice man, well done on both. I'm guessing when the editor arrives we'll get to see some "in game" shots yeah? Would love to see those with the lighting effects from the engine on them, or maybe some kind of affixed weapon glow. I could totally see a poison green glow for the axe.
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • RevengeInkRevengeInk Posts: 46 ✭✭✭✭
    What 3d program are you working in? Looking good btw. 8-)

oh a small crit: our weapon texture style uses more hard edge shapes than soft. Mind posting your texture?
    KevinG
  • Thanks! I'm working in Maya, and I can post the textures tonight when I get home. I know there is a difference in the TL style and what I've got going here, but I was trying to keep as close to the concept as possible for these. I'll probably start working on a few of my own designs now that I've got a little more time, and I'll be sticking closer to TL's weapon style when I start creating textures for those. 8-)
  • RevengeInk wrote:
    What 3d program are you working in? Looking good btw. 8-)

oh a small crit: our weapon texture style uses more hard edge shapes than soft. Mind posting your texture?

Yep totally. The weapon texture he used was from a concept (for the sword) that I had done well before the game was out and had a chance to really get up close and personal with it. I was sort of emulating my "idea" of the Torchlight style and was quite a bit off actually. Now that I've had plenty of time to play the actual game and browse the actual assets I've adapted my style more closely to the "in house" style for sure. Definitely a valid crit of the texture for the sword and one I absolutely agree with.

Edit: here's the thread where the texture was originally planted: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=917 (scroll down it's in the first post.)
  • xdanxxdanx Posts: 111
    Nice style. I like the way you did the models and textures. By the way, what size/resolution are your textures? xD
  • Alright, textures are up.

xdanx,
    The texture sheets posted are 256X256, but the textures on the objects in the screen grabs are 512X512. When I place these in game I will be down res-ing the texture to 256 because the 512 size is too big for a weapon. Heck, the 256 may be too big as well, but we'll see once I get them in-game. :D
  • xdanxxdanx Posts: 111
    jharrison wrote:
    Alright, textures are up.

xdanx,
    The texture sheets posted are 256X256, but the textures on the objects in the screen grabs are 512X512. When I place these in game I will be down res-ing the texture to 256 because the 512 size is too big for a weapon. Heck, the 256 may be too big as well, but we'll see once I get them in-game. :D
    Yeah, they look awesome here on 512x512, but in-game you can't notice such a details xD so it would be innecesary to keep them that way.
  • Seriously, this community is amazing and oozes talent I have not seen in a mod community in a long long time (last time I saw this type of teamwork was back when Counter-Strike was still considered new). This does inspire me to get my hands dirty and get some concepts going myself.

PS: I want to dual wield that axe, that is just amazing to me.
  • CjSCjS Posts: 6
    CelShaded wrote:
    Seriously, this community is amazing and oozes talent I have not seen in a mod community in a long long time (last time I saw this type of teamwork was back when Counter-Strike was still considered new). This does inspire me to get my hands dirty and get some concepts going myself.

PS: I want to dual wield that axe, that is just amazing to me.

Thats actually an observation i made also. The game just came out and the modding is blowing up. I remember those early CS days too - pre 1.5 lol.

I never really got very good at modeling but im picking it back up for this. Got some great ideas id like to see re-created in this game :)
  • I'm in love with that axe :shock:
  • SoberseanSobersean Posts: 513
    edited November 2009
    Hey J, are you creating the little dagger by using an image plane with the image displayed on it as a texture and then creating a sort of outline and extruding it then cutting it up to get some geometry? If that's the case is it a simple matter of creating a plane, then applying the image to it via a diffuse material using a bitmap?

I've been teaching myself 3ds max since last weekend (after a very long break with anything 3d related) and after seeing how accurately you're nailing all the shapes with your modelling skills I'm wondering if you've got a little method like that set up. Ive got a bunch of sketches but I need a little "guide image" or something in MAX to model over since I want to get that sort of ...precision...you have going on here.

*edit: I know you're using Maya but I'm just talking about the sort of general "set up" before you start your modelling.
  • Just happened upon this thread through your sig. At first I thought "sweet, fan art sketchbook."

Good stuff, really good. My taste always swings into more "textured" and "weathered" things, but like I said, your stuff fits the game's style, it's like they were scavenged from the drives of the concept artists themselves. :) I realize the original art is coming from SoberSean? But you're realization of it into the world of 3D is a welcomed goal!

Take Care,
    -Blake
  • Sobersean,

I use an image plane as a guide for the shape of the object (from that view). For creating the actual geometry, I use multiple techniques. I'll either draw a custom shaped polygon using Maya's Create Polygon Tool if the shape happens to be unique (like the dagger blade itself), or I will create a standard geo shape (cube, cylinder, cone, etc.) if it is close enough to a part on the model, and just push/pull verts into place until it looks right (like the bone-y elements attached to the hilt - made from a cube with extruded faces). I.E. Since this is a very low poly model, for the handle I created a cube, rotated it 45 degrees on the vertical axis, took some of the verts to move it into place to fit the silhouette (roughly to start), and used either the Extrude Face Tool, or Split Polygon Tool to create new edges/verts to move around and further fit the shape. I usually bounce back and forth a lot trying different things on different areas of the model until I get something I like that is within the polygon limits and looks good for that object.

Feel free to msg me some screens of your model with Wireframe on Shaded mode on (or post them in your sketchbook thread) and I'd be more than willing to offer some advice. :)

Wiggins,

I totally agree with liking the weathered and "textured" look more. The few models I have created have just been from existing art here in the forums, so I was looking at keeping the final model true to the style, but in the future I may (or may not depending if I decide to stick with the TL style) add a bit more grit to the textures on the models I create. Thanks for the props 8-)
  • Allright thanks for the walkthrough, I followed along with that perfectly.

Dagger is looking sweet so far.
  • Wow, I've been completely swamped @ work! We've been hard at work on our recently announced title Transformers: War for Cybertron (Sorry for the plug ;) ), but now I've got a bit of breathing room, so I may be providing some updated shots over the next few weeks. Stay tuned!
  • CelShadedCelShaded Posts: 20
    Glad to hear you've been hard at work on some good stuff out there, hope to see you back in the front seat of your project. Can't wait to see if these type of items get into the game itself.