Looking for "Normal" **** players

kazzlekazzle Posts: 35
edited September 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
Normal ****.

I know, I know you elite **** players are going to say.. "MAN UP" ETC... I honestly don't see the point in playing elite **** as you don't get rewarded for the loot and I really don't feel like spending for ever wailing on a boss/champion pack simply because it has d3 inferno style scaling and is generally not "Harder" just takes a ton more time to kill.

Anyway my rant aside, I play normal **** with a buddy of mine and we're about lvl 30 now. He has a 50ish mage in NG+ and is waiting for me to finish. We're both embermages, myself frost and I'm not sure what spec he is though as he's been lvling his zerker. Just wondering if there are any other people who play normal HC out there who would like to join us on tumble. I can help whoever wants to join set up the program, it runs fairly smooth after a couple of tweaks. We're usually chilling on skype while we play. Not a requirement just don't be completely useless and expect to be carried through everything.

Would eventually like to get a trading group together. I believe tumble can do this as they have the system in place to create private channels or "networks" to connect to. All it would take would be creating trading rooms on their part and more people using the service.

Feel free to msg me here or reply to the thread.

Comments

• "generally not "Harder" just takes a ton more time to kill."

You have not played elite at all have you?
  • Tuunbaq wrote:
    "generally not "Harder" just takes a ton more time to kill."

I don't really see how that post needs more explanation but I'll give you an idea:

Example:

If you give a mob 500hp in normal with some basic abilities..
    then in Elite mode give the same mob 50,000 hp with the same abilities... the mob is not "Harder". It just takes longer to kill (likely you'll just need a bunch more potions). In my opinion this is not an added challenge, rather just adding extra frustration to kill something, which will give me the same loot if I go to a previous difficulty and kill it 5x faster. I play the game to have fun. As it stands now I see most people are farming content to be 3 lvls ahead of the next zone or so... well thats great but its kind of an funny paradox.. you're playing a harder difficulty to give yourself a challenge.. but you have to make sure you're out leveled in order to go to the next zone.. doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you changed the behavior of this mob in Elite with 50,000hp and give it an ability to run to alies when its at 30% hp (so you need to freeze or trap it), or interupt your casts, or you have to cancel a heal. Something to make it actually challenging or different. Then there could be a reason to play a tougher difficulty. As it is now.. you don't even get better loot for playing in veteran and elite.

Also I might add another example.. lets say the area in act2 where you follow the light through the dungeon.. well in normal the light moves at a certain speed. In elite, just because the mobs are tougher doesn't make that event hard. What would make it hard would be something like.. maybe reduce the mob scaling so they're not as hard but make lightning fall randomly within the circle or other traps be set off that you have to avoid. Thats "Harder" in my opinion. Giving mobs +X hp and +X dmg is just lazy programming.
  • You can add me.
    Runic Name: EdgeKrusher187
    Steam Name: EdgeKrusher187

have a HC Normal Embermage lvl 23. Always willing to play.
    lvl 47 Engineer - Normal
    lvl 23 Embermage - Normal HC - Dead

Steam gamertag: EdgeKrusher187
    Runic gamertag: EdgeKrusher187

fs_overall.png
  • RiwRiw Posts: 118
    Well, In addition to having more HP, the mobs also have higher attack, damage etc in higher difficulties. So they are HARDER, since certain guy on normal for example needs 50 attacks to kill you, 20 of which would be misses. The same guy on Elite needs just 3 attacks, from which he won't probably miss. So the Elite guy is much harder regardless of its HP.
  • mobmob Posts: 12
    Why play **** if there is no risk of dying?

**** adds a great dimension to any game, but if you play it on Herp Derp difficulty then there is no added dimension whatsoever.

I mean, if you want to, go for it - I'm not knocking you. I'm simply just perplexed as to why you would want to play **** on such a low, threat-less difficulty. That was one of the terrible things about Diablo 3. You had to play through Normal and Nightmare, where it was just a mindless grind without any threat on your fragile little life, before it got on anything resembling a challenge; ****.

Mobs don't just take longer to kill on Elite. You have to keep on your toes at all times as the next move could be your last. Please give it a go :)

It is quite dissimilar from Diablo 3 Inferno. You may have to get your gear up a little to proceed, but that is simply because at lower levels you can get by on welfare greens many levels below your character. In fact, maybe you should look at it this way. Elite is actually standard difficulty level, and all the lower difficulties are tuned down to make it easier :)
  • kazzle wrote:
    Tuunbaq wrote:

I don't really see how that post needs more explanation but I'll give you an idea:

Example:

then in Elite mode give the same mob 50,000 hp with the same abilities... the mob is not "Harder". It just takes longer to kill (likely you'll just need a bunch more potions). In my opinion this is not an added challenge, rather just adding extra frustration to kill something, which will give me the same loot if I go to a previous difficulty and kill it 5x faster. I play the game to have fun. As it stands now I see most people are farming content to be 3 lvls ahead of the next zone or so... well thats great but its kind of an funny paradox.. you're playing a harder difficulty to give yourself a challenge.. but you have to make sure you're out leveled in order to go to the next zone.. doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you changed the behavior of this mob in Elite with 50,000hp and give it an ability to run to alies when its at 30% hp (so you need to freeze or trap it), or interupt your casts, or you have to cancel a heal. Something to make it actually challenging or different. Then there could be a reason to play a tougher difficulty. As it is now.. you don't even get better loot for playing in veteran and elite.

Also I might add another example.. lets say the area in act2 where you follow the light through the dungeon.. well in normal the light moves at a certain speed. In elite, just because the mobs are tougher doesn't make that event hard. What would make it hard would be something like.. maybe reduce the mob scaling so they're not as hard but make lightning fall randomly within the circle or other traps be set off that you have to avoid. Thats "Harder" in my opinion. Giving mobs +X hp and +X dmg is just lazy programming.

Supposing it was the case that the only change to monster abilities between different play levels was the amount of hp they get I still disagree with your analysis that things merely take longer to kill (apart from such cases where mobs deal negligible damage)

Indeed given the collective power of a mob decreases with each monster you kill; then if they all have low hp, the amount of damage that mob can deal tapers off pretty quickly (since you are killing them).
    However, if your healing rate/dodging ability/etc... is such that you can only comfortably sustain max mob damage for a short period of time before you die (for example you don't dodge very well and your healing rate doesn't offset the inbound damage) then though you will be fine when they have low hp, things are going to be way harder if baddies are living longer!
  • MetroMetro Posts: 575
    Gross misunderstanding to say all elite does is raise the effective health of mobs. As someone else noted it also significantly increases their damage output. Unless you stack a ton of vitality (which you can't really do anyway since you still need to kill things fast given the health bloat) most everyone gets two or three shot by trash and one shot by certain abilities.

On normal you would have to go AFK to die. Things die extremely fast and your chances of getting one shot by anything are pretty much zero.
  • kazzle wrote:
    Tuunbaq wrote:

Example:

then in Elite mode give the same mob 50,000 hp with the same abilities... the mob is not "Harder". It just takes longer to kill (likely you'll just need a bunch more potions).

Actually, no.

In Elite the mobs hit you much harder, in normal, you can just stand there and take a beating and you won't die. So there's a huge difference.
  • umrkkumrkk Posts: 12
    Veteran is **** enough, imho :)
  • Come to elite!
    As you can tell most of the **** players play it on elite so trading would be much more viable. To echo what others have said the game is more fun that way too, it seems like its always a challenge rather than a grind through content to the end.
  • tegotego Posts: 2
    Related to the original post, i would like to ask you as elite **** players: Is farming necessary? I watched a few streams of people doing elite hc, and all i saw were repeated bossruns for the items. If that would be necessary, then playing at a lower difficulty and just not farming endlessly should be a challenge too.
  • RiwRiw Posts: 118
    Exactly, farming just destroys the purpose of Elite. People should just switch to Veteran if they are unable to progress normally on Elite. IMO beating the game on Veteran HC without farming is much greater achievement than Elite HC with pointless farming. EVERY AREA IS TO BE CLEARED JUST ONCE!
  • +1 for playing HC on normal without farming etc...I'm only near the lvl50 in veteran (49hours overall of tl2) and even with very good non-cheat non-farm gear (items bought in town shops actually) I died like 70 times already some of them i could have avoided but a good 30% I could not..1shotted despite wearing gear with always +200-300hp and good physical armor each (elemental armor I have yet to see any use to it...I just fought poison damage mushrooms and took more damage with a +elemen-physic armor than a +armor-elem one...) I was just one shot by a troll jumping from outside the screen ! try to avoid somehting you cannot hear or see before it's too late

people saying they survived in elite till high lvl are a joke it's impossible by only playing elite from scratch with no trade-farm items, most of the elite HC videos I've seen are from characters using lvl42+ skills in act1 there's just one problem you will never survive till that level starting from zero which is the only point of playing a higher difficulty...starting a new game already filled with gear or with a 20-30-40 levels above the mobs is the same as cheating...you are only wasting your time doing it, don't expect respect for that

you can play a character which would most likely be more fun if less effective in an easier HC difficulty think about that oh and also you will be able to play phase challenges :P
    normal HC player not cheating > elite HC cheater
  • I enjoy playing HC normal and would definitely like to find more people to play with. Just started tonight, so currently level 15.