The luminous arena.............

EviltwinlinkEviltwinlink Posts: 24
edited January 2013 in TL2 General Discussions
Hello everyone, I've been playing Torchlight 2 as an embermage, and I've been having a blast. Well I was until I got to this quest in the story line, survive the luminous arena from act II. All I can really say it is the cheapest most unfun thing in this game thus far. Its literally ruining the fun of the game. They restrict you into a tiny little circle to fight in, and at the same time spawn massive blobs of monsters and turrets around you while you follow the moving circle. As an embermage, I've been doing just fine until this quest, I literally cannot pass it. I'm level 35 with 115 focus, 105 vitality as my main attribute points and I've been primarily investing in fire magic. Any advice on this quest? I'm within the level requirements yet it is just facerolling me. Though I'm sure there is something I could do to improve my survival, I just want to make note to the dev's that this dungeon is absurd for an Embermage to survive in.... However, I'm determined to beat it so any tips are appreciated. I am playing on Veteran just as a note.

My armor stats: 201 physical, 119 ice, 242 Fire, 23 electric, and 200 poison <
defenses.

Comments

• JathraJathra Posts: 573
    Wait til you hit the undead arena in Act III then lol.
  • SerpeSerpe Posts: 67
    Do you have Ice Prison at that level? It should be able to block some of the ranged damage. But overall yeah it is mostly luck -- if the spawn is like 5 Archers you just automatically die. Hopefully you get some melee guys.
    I haven't played an embermage but I cleared that place first try on my outlander. You need good AoE skills with knockback/stun to deal with large monster packs in ARPG's. It is possible its something with your build/gear/playstyle that is causing you the problem.
  • lol what? are you serious? i loved that part :D
    banekitty111.jpg
  • Well after spending 7000 gold reviving I guess I was able to accomplish it. What happened was at the last round so many guys spawned and were attacking I virtually instantly died when they appeared. Yes I was using some AOE stuns with some ice spells but I ended up managing to set off my flame pillar without dieing and ran around in a circle until the flame pillars killed everything. And yes I do have tons of AOE and stuns, this isn't my first ARPG its just the way they did this quest was very annoying since I had to revive multiple times wasting gold. Thanks though guys I was just getting very frustrated, I'm not built to stay near things, I'm built to kite and run which I like doing, but the circle made it impossible for me to do.
  • Died once on that quest on veteran with a DPS engineer with similar armor and vitality. Still not an embermage's glass-ticity, but I don't think it was that cheap. Plus, when you die, you start back right where you were!
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • What I did is I spent all my gold on potions, then sold it all back after using constant revive.
  • JPrimeJPrime Posts: 120
    Beat this on veteran first time through.. I loved how the area worked but I will say that I wished it hadn't been part of the main story quests.

As for tips:
    Fire pillars/tons of potions/plenty of prismatic bolts! No amount of preparation can prepare you for the quick kill floor blade mechanics so stay on your toes. ;)
  • LomakLomak Posts: 69
    The area's where it gets really hard , when the circle stops and it spawns a champion and a bunch of goons, don't restrict yourself to just the circle. Sometimes its better to kite outside the circle and just take that damage as long as it means you can avoid the harder hitting attacks. Potions should be able to keep you alive through the dot damage you take outside of the circle.

You just have to make a judgement call depending on the situation. This is a challenging part of the game, one in which I died on multiple times as a fire embermage myself (elite). Just dont let the circle fool you, sometimes outside of it is the lesser of two evils.
    Yeah the undead arena in act 3 is 50x worse. Its the only place in the game I chain wiped on 8x in a row lol.

Cant kite there either because the entire ground is flame holes that 2 shot you lol.
  • Went there first time on **** at lvl 43. My tank engineer hardly took any damage
  • I think my biggest problem was I couldn't flash around monsters overwhelmed me too quick. I'm still trying to iron out the kinks in my build but it is a very glass cannon type of build. Also on note about the potions, I was chugging those thinks like crazy and I would still die in a matter of seconds >.>
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    That is one of the best unique dungeon in the whole game. OP you need to get ice prison as fast as posible and teleport spell. Those 2 thigs will make your life easier
  • So....... people who suggested ice prison... ty so much. When I looked at the spell i initially thought it surrounded only one minon and not the amount that it was. This probably the kinda spell i needed to make my build more survivable. I already had flash, but holy **** the ice wall, thanks guys.
  • GuessI was lucky as an Engineer with both Aegis and Forcefield. I had quite a bit of freedom outside the circle.
  • put on a shield and laugh
  • I actually loved the luminous arena. Its like doing a timed run, move your **** or fail hard.

Edit: Also I did it on my ember mage with far far far less vitality than you and didn't come anywhere close to dying. You probably made some poor skill choices because you should be able to one shot a majority of the mobs in there.
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    I put a portal outside the quest entrance and just respawned in town and teleported myself back for free ;)
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • SeerSeer Posts: 2,445
    That was one of the best dungeon mechanics in the game..

Anyway, it seems you sorted it now with the teleport skill.
  • evilmogwaievilmogwai Posts: 597
    edited September 2012
    Umm... I got that (or something similar) as a phase beast challenge not part of the main quest! :shock:

I enjoyed it though.

(I'm dumb... ignore me.)
  • I didn't have a problem with this one, but just an FYI, you can run ahead most of it and take out the shock towers and insects beforehand for the first stretch as long as you either don't mind using pots or have ample regen skills.
    Everyone assumes necromancers are upstanding citizens until one kills their sister and then marries her.
  • I found that part to be creative and massively fun. But I play berserker, so one of my main attacks heals me almost completely every time.
  • FelineFeline Posts: 114
    I play a berserker and currently grinding the arena for uniques. Didn't even need to shadow burst, as I've got 2 pieces of the merciless set (great set design, totally love the looks of it!)
    Why be the prey...when you can be the predator
  • Hello everyone, I've been playing Torchlight 2 as an embermage, and I've been having a blast. Well I was until I got to this quest in the story line, survive the luminous arena from act II. All I can really say it is the cheapest most unfun thing in this game thus far. Its literally ruining the fun of the game. They restrict you into a tiny little circle to fight in, and at the same time spawn massive blobs of monsters and turrets around you while you follow the moving circle. As an embermage, I've been doing just fine until this quest, I literally cannot pass it. I'm level 35 with 115 focus, 105 vitality as my main attribute points and I've been primarily investing in fire magic. Any advice on this quest? I'm within the level requirements yet it is just facerolling me. Though I'm sure there is something I could do to improve my survival, I just want to make note to the dev's that this dungeon is absurd for an Embermage to survive in.... However, I'm determined to beat it so any tips are appreciated. I am playing on Veteran just as a note.

defenses.

That's strange, I was using Prismatic Bolt (level 1) and was just blasting away. Do you have any protective spell? Are you ready to spam health potions? You can also purchase Rejuvenation potions (superfast healing) if need be. Is your pet set to Aggressive mode, equipped with spells and transformed into a solid monster? Do you have your equipment socketed and boosted by socketables? Are you summoning skeleton, archers or zombies to serve as safety bumper around you?

and of course, you could always just go elsewhere, level up a bit so that you're above monster level, that will give you major survivability boost (higher level character is less likely to be hit by lower level monsters). Search the forums for tips how to re-populate the world.
  • attempting this as an embermage has pretty much killed all desire to play this game

oh well time to go back to GW2
  • Hello everyone, I've been playing Torchlight 2 as an embermage, and I've been having a blast. Well I was until I got to this quest in the story line, survive the luminous arena from act II. All I can really say it is the cheapest most unfun thing in this game thus far. Its literally ruining the fun of the game. They restrict you into a tiny little circle to fight in, and at the same time spawn massive blobs of monsters and turrets around you while you follow the moving circle. As an embermage, I've been doing just fine until this quest, I literally cannot pass it. I'm level 35 with 115 focus, 105 vitality as my main attribute points and I've been primarily investing in fire magic. Any advice on this quest? I'm within the level requirements yet it is just facerolling me. Though I'm sure there is something I could do to improve my survival, I just want to make note to the dev's that this dungeon is absurd for an Embermage to survive in.... However, I'm determined to beat it so any tips are appreciated. I am playing on Veteran just as a note.

defenses.
    Join a multiplayer game.

When I did this on my engineer on veteran with 100% stats in vitality, I didn't stand in the light. I took 0 damage out of the light because my passive healing was greater than the damage.
  • I really enjoyed this part - but then I did play on casual.

There is a secret in this area too; anyone else find it?
    If you wait at the end before leaving through the portal, a lever appears
  • Question does the Luminous area portal disappear after i turn in the quest for it? or can i farm it?
  • Oswind wrote:
    Question does the Luminous area portal disappear after i turn in the quest for it? or can i farm it?

You can farm it! I did from like 35-40. Embermage as well, here.

Exit portal, then can immediately reenter and everything resets.
  • But can i farm it if I finish the story quest?