All damage reduced by 3% jewel//gem from Grell.

discidiumdiscidium Posts: 65
edited October 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
Can anyone confirm that stacking these does indeed work? Not considered an exploit?

This seems pretty imbalanced....but I heard people have been stacking them, sounds like a decent plan considering how much damage I'm taking in HCE act 3, been getting as much armor as I can but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference....so I was thinking about farming grell for these.

Comments

• JPrimeJPrime Posts: 120
    Doesn't seem any different than using 2 guns with 45% execute chance. (One of the unique pistols)

Haven't tested this myself but if it's a gem and socketed you should receive the benefit.
  • vibrantvibrant Posts: 139
    discidium wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that stacking these does indeed work? Not considered an exploit?

This seems pretty imbalanced....but I heard people have been stacking them, sounds like a decent plan considering how much damage I'm taking in HCE act 3, been getting as much armor as I can but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference....so I was thinking about farming grell for these.
    Dunno if it stacks, but It should. How could it be considered an exploit? You only have so many sockets, and 3% is not a huge amount. I prefer to try maximize my +hp gear and gems, since each one can give you considerably more than 3% HP. I've got ~100% extra HP beyond my base HP, even after pumping virtually /all/ my stat points into vitality.
  • So to stack them they do what, create a new character to do act 1 with up to Grell, rinse, repeat until you have a bunch of gems? Or can you actually reset quests?
  • You cant reset quests, but in multiplayer you can reset boss encounter and farm him on one char
  • mindw0rk wrote:
    You cant reset quests, but in multiplayer you can reset boss encounter and farm him on one char

I didn't know that. How do you reset bosses? Just reroll world? That also respawns bosses?
  • Yep, join other server. There are better gems for reducing damage tho. I once had gem dropped which lowered by 4.5% all physical damage for every foe nearby.
  • I think ALL DAMAGE (Elemental and physical included right?) is better than a 4.5% physical damage reduction gem//jewel//ember w/e.

3% may not seem like much but that's a %, that's a large ammount once you get a few of them stacked up.
  • herionzherionz Posts: 127
    You can check if they stack by looking over the stadistics panel reduction, see if dmg reduction % gets the amount you are trying to add or not (I think it would).
  • It's WAI

that said...

http://i.imgur.com/hoW6s.gif
  • Wow... how many gems did u stack?
  • Got this baby drop in pirate cave... dont know if its zone drop or just random tho but worth farming imo:)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=99372282
  • Grell doesn't drop the eye every time, does he?
  • mindw0rk wrote:
    Wow... how many gems did u stack?

That's a full set of 20. Once I saw that it affected elemental resists and stacked, I was determined to get a full set.
    Took close to 100 grell runs (went from 10 to 30 doing nothing but grell lol).

About halfway through I found a socketer so I was able to add 2nd sockets to belt, rings and neck :)

I was happy until I almost got one shot on elite, then I started researching how + why. It was then that I discovered that mobs can debuff all resists by up to 2x mob level.
  • So do you think its still worth it on elite ****?
    riexau wrote:
    mindw0rk wrote:
    Wow... how many gems did u stack?

That's a full set of 20. Once I saw that it affected elemental resists and stacked, I was determined to get a full set.
    Took close to 100 grell runs (went from 10 to 30 doing nothing but grell lol).

About halfway through I found a socketer so I was able to add 2nd sockets to belt, rings and neck :)

I was happy until I almost got one shot on elite, then I started researching how + why. It was then that I discovered that mobs can debuff all resists by up to 2x mob level.

I'm interested into what you wrote here about monster debuffing, could you elaborate or paste the thread please?. I've was thinking that it was too good to be true, and it looks that way, seems that the way to go is have a balance between +hp and damage reduction. Also don't forgetting about utility and damage, since a stunned, blinded, fleeing or dead monster doesn't fight back :D.
  • herionz wrote:
    I'm interested into what you wrote here about monster debuffing, could you elaborate or paste the thread please?. I've was thinking that it was too good to be true, and it looks that way, seems that the way to go is have a balance between +hp and damage reduction. Also don't forgetting about utility and damage, since a stunned, blinded, fleeing or dead monster doesn't fight back :D.

The gif I posted is animated. I took the screenshots .5 seconds apart. Look at the resists - they drop from 85 to 49 (-36). The frost breath attack debuffs all resists by 1% per mob level (and stacks twice, thus the -36%) and reduces cast/attack speed by 15%.
    mindw0rk wrote:
    So do you think its still worth it on elite ****?

To an extent.

It's a crutch, and easy to fall into a false sense of security. I'd say it's worth it until you can start socketing huge/giant embers and skulls of quato, as long as you know exactly which mobs are capable of debuffing.

Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it's no iddqd
  • They do stack to answer your question, OP. However as someone mentioned it definitely depends on monster level and you. It is less effective against a mob with higher levels (I know this based on TL 1).

Your best bet is to stack % REFLECT damage as DPS. You take no damage guaranteed if it procs, and at higher level mobs, it hurts them big time. I remember in TL 1 I used to go down to the last 5 levels with 125% reflect chance and the zealots used to kill themselves with the lightning bolts and posion homing missiles. Same idea works very well in this game thus far; I managed to get Grell's helm with 20% chance to reflect and 2 gems for 4% each.

Edit: Keep in mind that if you get poisoned, that is roughly 1/3 of your total armor out the window. This will also decrease the effectiveness of your damage reduction.
    "If it takes 2 steps back to take 1 step forward, may as well just turn around and take 3 steps forward"
    riexau wrote:
    herionz wrote:

The gif I posted is animated. I took the screenshots .5 seconds apart. Look at the resists - they drop from 85 to 49 (-36). The frost breath attack debuffs all resists by 1% per mob level (and stacks twice, thus the -36%) and reduces cast/attack speed by 15%.

****!! So that's why those **** sometimes hit me so hard when fighting them in groups with the Berserker!!! No wonder I was right to follow my guts and "shadowbursting" through them when I saw them doing the breath to take off or avoid the attack lol. Still sometimes got some nasty scaring hits while fighting large groups of them from the big tough ones that always follow them. Thank you very much for that mate, now I'll always try to take a look at those things :D. But I was thinking that the damage came from stacking some armor debuff from some ravage attack lol, **** never wondered it was the breath.
    DrMonkee wrote:
    They do stack to answer your question, OP. However as someone mentioned it definitely depends on monster level and you. It is less effective against a mob with higher levels (I know this based on TL 1).

Your best bet is to stack % REFLECT damage as DPS. You take no damage guaranteed if it procs, and at higher level mobs, it hurts them big time. I remember in TL 1 I used to go down to the last 5 levels with 125% reflect chance and the zealots used to kill themselves with the lightning bolts and posion homing missiles. Same idea works very well in this game thus far; I managed to get Grell's helm with 20% chance to reflect and 2 gems for 4% each.

That's a nice idea, but doesn't reflect only works for projectile based attacks, magic and some earthquake skills (yeah I've reflected stomps and earthquake waves xDD) or is there also reflect for all incoming attacks?
  • DrMonkeeDrMonkee Posts: 117
    herionz wrote:
    riexau wrote:
    herionz wrote:

****!! So that's why those **** sometimes hit me so hard when fighting them in groups with the Berserker!!! No wonder I was right to follow my guts and "shadowbursting" through them when I saw them doing the breath to take off or avoid the attack lol. Still sometimes got some nasty scaring hits while fighting large groups of them from the big tough ones that always follow them. Thank you very much for that mate, now I'll always try to take a look at those things :D. But I was thinking that the damage came from stacking some armor debuff from some ravage attack lol, **** never wondered it was the breath.
    DrMonkee wrote:
    They do stack to answer your question, OP. However as someone mentioned it definitely depends on monster level and you. It is less effective against a mob with higher levels (I know this based on TL 1).

That's a nice idea, but doesn't reflect only works for projectile based attacks, magic and some earthquake skills (yeah I've reflected stomps and earthquake waves xDD) or is there also reflect for all incoming attacks?

It's projectile based, magic, charge, and earthquake skills. No reflect for all incoming attacks that I know of, unless some class skills allow it.
    "If it takes 2 steps back to take 1 step forward, may as well just turn around and take 3 steps forward"
  • TieryalTieryal Posts: 420
    This is what a full gear set with eyes of grell and some other goodies look like (http://imgur.com/5LkTB)

Me, level 65 HCE, in a level 105 dungeon with 100% damage reduction. http://www.twitch.tv/tieryal/b/334199385

Yes they stack, yes it's all damage.

Traps go through the damage reduction, some mobs ignore them, some mobs can debuff you to bring it down.

Load the game, run to grell, kill grell, quit, reload, repeat until you have enough eyes.
    Socket all your gear twice.
    Wear 1h/shield
    Socket all with eyes.
    Win the game.
    **** Elite 100 Beserker NG(4) Cleared, World First.
    http://twitch.tv/tieryal
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43170