[Video + .Dat's] Player & Companion Model Swaps

RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
edited September 2012 in Mod Showcase
.Update ~ Pet Model Swap MOD Available Here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=40649&p=364114#p364114

Hey all,

For the past couple of days I've been getting acquainted with the Torchlight 2 assets and file structure / layout. Thanks to tools like cienslaw's DAT2TXT & TXT2DAT scripts and Xraptor's TL2 PAK Extractor / Patcher, some of the more "inquisitive" modders among us have been able to start getting our hands dirty on the mod development front :lol:

I thought these videos might be of interest to some, based on how insanely popular the pet & companion mods were in Torchlight 1!

icon_small_youtube.gif Ezrohir
ezrohir_feature.png

icon_small_youtube.gif Sturmbeorn
sturmbeorn_feature.png

icon_small_youtube.gif Engineer Model Swap
swap.png

I'm happy to report that all of the above was nowhere near the amount of hassle to implement as I'd thought it was going to be ~ In fact, each model swap can be done by simply adjusting 1 dat file ~ Though that'll only get the model to display, there are still plenty of tweaks to be made; ie. getting the companion inventory to work, missing animations etc. ~ but it's a glimpse of what's to come, especially when the Official Modding Tool(s) are released to the community!

Here are the .DAT files for Pre-GUTS modders to play with (4.2kb)

Well, that's about it! :)

Comments

• finally a ranged pet WIP mod! O.o
  • Wow i'll be monitoring this mod hopefully it gets released soon, thanks for sharing dude!
  • Wow thats some great early work! I am eager to try this one out. Also, I would like some confirmation about this. but should threads like this and the Torchlight polski mod thread be here in the mod showcasing? I know that your showcasing your mod to the world, sharing it for us all to see, even if its not finished. But I have no idea if that warrants it a spot in the Mod Discussion or here.. i'm so confused!

Thanks once again for this though. You have some great talent and I can't wait until final release! :D
  • Awesome job man. I plan on doing something like the dwarf guy and create a different class. Good job starting man!
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • Well done :)

Now were (me) just one step closer to sledgebot :D
    banekitty111.jpg
  • AeydonAeydon Posts: 570
    Absolutely fantastic work RMUK, considering how limited modding resources
    are at the moment you've done well. Can't wait to see more of this!

Quick question, once you've ironed out all the necessary things,
    would you consider adding more companions?
  • TwinkleToesTwinkleToes Posts: 343
    edited September 2012
    THANK YOU!
    wow the engi model swap is freaking amazing
    the prospects and possibilities are incredible!
  • I recommend scaling the Sturmbeorn down to a smaller creature, Otherwise awesome stuff.
    I was planning on eventually modding a spell the summoned a Sturmbeorn champion for a bit with a long cooldown, but if someone want to beat me to that then that is fine, then I wont have to do it :D . (I will start modding once TorchED is released, because I don't care to hassle with the PAK tools)
  • Sup man, managed to re-create the companion. You were right, only 1 dat file changed.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • RMUKRMUK Posts: 147
    Thanks for the replies, all :)
    Aeydon wrote:
    by Aeydon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:32 pm
    Quick question, once you've ironed out all the necessary things,
    would you consider adding more companions?

Yep! As soon as GUTS is here, this will be high on my to do-list ~ though I have a few gameplay mods planned which might take priority; I'm sure the community will have the companion side of things covered though :P, eg...
    I was planning on eventually modding a spell the summoned a Sturmbeorn champion for a bit with a long cooldown, but if someone want to beat me to that then that is fine, then I wont have to do it :D . (I will start modding once TorchED is released, because I don't care to hassle with the PAK tools)

Go for it AttackGorilla! I just wanted to lay the ground work for actually getting the other models to show up alongside the player as companions ~ It would be cool to see more advanced modifications, such as spells which summon these monsters, bosses, critters etc.
    gamekillz wrote:
    Wow thats some great early work! I am eager to try this one out. Also, I would like some confirmation about this. but should threads like this and the Torchlight polski mod thread be here in the mod showcasing? I know that your showcasing your mod to the world, sharing it for us all to see, even if its not finished. But I have no idea if that warrants it a spot in the Mod Discussion or here.. i'm so confused!

Thanks, gamekillz - Not sure either! :lol:
    Sup man, managed to re-create the companion. You were right, only 1 dat file changed.

Good stuff, kalamari! I've updated the first post with the modified .dats for both the companion and player model swaps for pre-GUTS modders to play with. I was going to get around to this eventually once I'd worked out issues such as the missing companion inventory 8-)