To All Torchlight Fans - The Community

TakiriTakiri Posts: 1,233
edited October 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
Lately there has been an uprising of certain topics. These topics and posts consist of people who only want to play a certain way and refuse to see it in any other way. I want to give some insight on my view of the community and where I hope it can go, while remaining as nice as possible while doing so.

On closed servers:

Many people lately have wanted closed servers, because they feel as though "Cheating" and modding of the game takes away all the fun. For those people, I understand exactly where you are coming from, but there is a big problem with that. You can already play that way! Torchlight 2 is a game about fun and getting together with your friends and just smashing monsters faces. Runic Games has never pushed any style of play on you, nor has anyone in the community. You do not have to play with people who "Cheat" or mod. You can stay in a single player game, join up with friends, or get together with other "legit" players. In the very near future, when modding is fully released by Runic Games, the multiplayer will be changing a bit so that you will be able to check off if you want your game to allow modding or not. You have complete freedom in how you play the game, so asking for closed servers won't change your playstyle.

The current state of the game:

In Torchlight 1, the community wasn't against modding in the slightest. The main reason for this is because it was single player only, which I do understand. Torchlight 1+2 have something that can make a game endless - User created content. Not only has Runic Games specifically said that they will continue patching the game and taking care of it, but while they are doing this, people will be creating content faster then we can even imagine. Every game eventually get a tad boring, because playing the same game over and over for year after year with zero change can become quite tedious. Torchlight 1+2 are both timeless though! I remember the first time I got bored of Torchlight 1. I was bored so I went to the forums and downloaded a Star Wars visual pack and class pack that made everything look and play like Star Wars. I wanted it to be even more fun, so I downloaded the "Pokemon Pet Mod Pack" that made your pet look like any Pokemon you want, while having their abilities! (I chose Arcanine, while my friend chose Charizard ^^;) Lightsabers and Pokemon in an Action RPG that played completely new compared to the one I just played no more then five minutes ago! It was a great experience!

This is something I enjoyed, as well as thousands of others. Lately though things have started to change. Many people are new to the Torchlight series and I have seen a large amount of people who actually call people who mod or simply play the game in a different way "Scum" and other words I rather not say for the sake of keeping it PG. As I stated earlier, Torchlight is a game about getting together with friends, or playing solo, and playing the way you want to play. Just because people are modding or "Cheating" doesn't make them better then you, nor does it make you better than them. We are all one community and can play the game in a variety of ways.

Do not try to take away the fun someone is having, simply because it isn't the same way you play. I will not take sides, but I think it is silly to see the community split it two. Runic Games and the Torchlight community has always been a place of peace and for the most part has an incredible fan base with some of the most awesome people I have ever met. If you want to mod, then by all means do so. If you don't like the idea of modding, then play without them and continue to have fun the way you enjoy. Please don't attack each other and turn it into an internal war on the forums. We aren't two different communities, we are the same community playing the game in different ways. Many other games don't have the luxury of having multiple ways to play and progress the game, so let us all just be happy that we have that perk.

Runic Games has made a great game and their community is one of the best I ever seen, but lets not ruin it for others! Let us not forget this amazing post by our beloved Max Schaefer:
I want to thank all of you for being the best community in computer gaming history. Seriously.

You all make it worthwhile for us.

That is all.
Max Schaefer
CEO, Runic Games

We are the community and have a great deal of impact on how the game turns out. I have faith in this community, so I can't wait to start playing with more new people.

Have fun everyone and keeping slaying them monsters.
Takirisig2.jpg

Please read this topic if you have time: viewtopic.php?t=38634
Thank you! ^.^b

Comments

• This is a good and reasonable post. I'd up-rep ya if I could.
  • HomicideHomicide Posts: 1,071
    edited September 2012
    i give it a read bump,
    MaxSchaefer wrote:I want to thank all of you for being the best community in computer gaming history. Seriously.

You all make it worthwhile for us.

That is all.
    Max Schaefer
    CEO, Runic Games

Special Shout out to those Community members that earned their way into a Tribute, you know who you are. :D
    ...but when we stop acting civil and start calling people names, we're no longer interacting in the spirit of Runic Games.

Zepheyr ~ 2012
  • Agreed!
    Runic/Steam ID: greybucket
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    I like you, Takiri. You remind me of me when I first started hanging out here. Don't let anyone get you down but try not to take the negativity too seriously, hun. Trust me, this community is going to be ok as long as people like you and I keep believing in it.
    ItfooQF.png
  • TakiriTakiri Posts: 1,233
    Zidders wrote:
    I like you, Takiri. You remind me of me when I first started hanging out here. Don't let anyone get you down but try not to take the negativity too seriously, hun. Trust me, this community is going to be ok as long as people like you and I keep believing in it.

I been here actually since the beginning, but I didn't start using the forums till a bit after. I was so busy with real life things that I didn't have too much free time. Luckily, once I started using the forums, I found that I absolutely adore the community and am proud to say I am a member of it.

I won't let people bring me down, because Runic Games and Torchlight bring me right back up ^.^
    Takirisig2.jpg

Thank you! ^.^b
  • I think what people dislike is that someone with 999999999 in each stat join their games and start summoning 9999999999 monsters.

That's not modding that's cheating in my book.
  • gamekillzgamekillz Posts: 264
    edited September 2012
    This has always been on my mind but i'm not so good crafting the english language into something comprehensible. I've been here since the beginning and I would like this community to stay the place where you can go to have good conversations with friendly people who share a common interest, Torchlight.

Edit: Side they can no longer summon monsters in multiplayer. Although they can change stats in single player, you can inspect whoever joins and if you see something you don't like, just kick them. Its your game, your rules. Everyone has this right.
  • TakiriTakiri Posts: 1,233
    side1985 wrote:
    I think what people dislike is that someone with 999999999 in each stat join their games and start summoning 9999999999 monsters.

That's not modding that's cheating in my book.

Which is why you can instantly put that person on block (It puts their account) and simply kick them.

If they summoned things to grief you all, simply remake the game! Not everyone is going to do that, just the mean ones. Just because of a few people being mean to others in and out of game, doesn't mean the entire community is like that. There are mean people everywhere in and out of the internet. Just like you would in real life, stay away from the people that are mean to you ^^
    gamekillz wrote:
    This has always been on my mind but i'm not so good crafting the english language into something comprehensible. I've been here since the beginning and I would like this community to stay the place where you can go to have good conversations with friendly people who share a common interest, Torchlight.

Glad to have you around ^_^b The more the merrier!

~~~

Going to bed very shortly! I would appreciate if people would show this topic around :) I really want this community to come together as a place of people who all have the same common interest: Torchlight

Edit: I wonder if Runic Games will read this post ^^
    Takirisig2.jpg

Thank you! ^.^b
  • sadronsadron Posts: 809
    Yeah they're not a horrible **** like me ._.
  • I honestly think in a few weeks once the mod tools are released a lot of these arguments will dry up. Those people who want the uberleetest gear will be either modding their own or using other mods, as will those respeccing or giving themselves statboosts and the community will be able to regulate itself better.

Like I said in that other thread, the problem people are having isnt that these things are happening, but that the potential for these things to happen is there, and I think that bothers a lot of newer gamers who have grown up with regulated online gaming.
  • sadron wrote:
    I <3 u and ur prickly little cactus heart.
    Like I said in that other thread, the problem people are having isnt that these things are happening, but that the potential for these things to happen is there, and I think that bothers a lot of newer gamers who have grown up with regulated online gaming.
    What a sad state of affairs. I'm glad I'm not one of those kids that needs an invisible sheriff around to tell them how to "play correctly".
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • sadronsadron Posts: 809
    sadron wrote:
    What's there to love? :/
  • sadron wrote:
    cactus+flowers+photos.+%25281%2529.jpg
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • sadron wrote:
    sadron wrote:

Sadron, I totally love you and would totally have your pixelbabies.
  • Awesome post OP!

I really need to start playing with some of you guys, I am currently bed-ridden for 6 weeks following my surgery last weekend and have all the time in the world to make some new frands :D
  • +1
    banekitty111.jpg
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    What a beautiful post... and a beautiful topic.

Your words are wise. I find myself fighting the haters in defense of the freedom Runic put into this game, and honestly, I am probably not helping things. I just get so mad at all the vitriol that I can't help but stand up and argue back. And once I've done that I just feel like I'm no better than those I fight. Hopefully these kinds of people will go away someday, and the old spirit and comraderie you guys speak so fondly of will spill into the forums like a cup of warm Grell stew.
  • +1 here

sadron wrote:

Princess ? :lol:

http://www.atlus.com/etrian3/characters.html

I am not meant to be off-topic . :)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    sadron wrote:
    sadron wrote:

Sadron, I want to say something and I truly hope you believe me when I say that I'm saying this with the utmost sincerity.

I like you.

Sometimes.

Sometimes you can be funny. Sometimes you can be deep. Sometimes you actually have some very intelligent and insightful things to say.

Sometimes.

But other times, man, you can be a really mean person. I know we all have our days but for the most part it seems like you have more bad days than good. I like you when you're being welcoming and funny and not so much when you lash out at people or try to shove your opinion down other peoples throats and especially when you try your best to dig underneath peoples skin.

That's why it's frustrating. I want to like you but I really feel like I can't, not really. You seem more than a little immature and I just chalk it up to having a lot to learn. I used to be the same way too and even now I have my moments. I just wanted to tell you this because it seems like you don't like yourself sometimes. I think the 'sometimes' i'm talking about are because of those sometimes when you don't like yourself and decide to try and take it out on others and maybe make them feel the same as you.

I want you to know that you can be a likable person, that that person exists within you all you need to do is tell that part of you you don't like that it's ok. Whatever reason you feel you deserve to dislike yourself is a **** reason. None of us are perfect we all **** up we all have things about ourselves we don't like it's the good we see in others the things we like in others we need to realize we possess within ourselves.

The potential to be better people lies within us all, you just have to let yourself be ok with liking yourself. It's ok, dude. You may not agree with me. ****, you may not even like me. Please don't let that keep you from taking what I say to heart. I know I may be **** in the wind here and that's ok. What's important is that hopefully, you believe me.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Nice post OP.

The forums have been getting a bit confrontational lately. There I times I just gave up reading through countless hate posts.

Though I'm confident things will settle down in a month or so. But even so I'm glad that there are still calm and cool minds here.
  • +1 to OP

atleast with the open nature of the game we never have to worry about botters, 3rd party websites selling gold/gear, etc
    cant wait to see what mods come out for this
    2207652839.png
    steamaw.php?id=nullisnull&pngimg=shiny&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=0
  • mrnull wrote:
    +1 to OP

atleast with the open nature of the game we never have to worry about botters, 3rd party websites selling gold/gear, etc
    cant wait to see what mods come out for this

Touch wood! Your words bear ill-omens.
  • ZehDonZehDon Posts: 114
    I really enjoyed reading this post, so thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Much like a few here, I found myself being a tad too aggressive in defending the "open" philosophy that Runic has adopted, and so took a step back. I figured I'd employ the single most powerful tactic against people shouting down this philosophy: I'd ignore them.

By simply posting in the threads that are worth contributing to, we're ensuring that these threads are the ones most visible and active. Further to this, we're ensuring that constructive threads are encouraged, which in turn promotes that kind of community - a community I want to be apart of.

And so... ok, I have no idea how to end this post so here is a picture of a llama.
    Lama-Lama-glama-0001_1.preview.jpg
    "Happiness for everybody, free, and no one will go away unsatisfied"
  • @OP you get my +1.

Great post.
  • AeydonAeydon Posts: 570
    Fantastic post Takiri. +1
  • Takiri wrote:
    You do not have to play with people who "Cheat" or mod. You can stay in a single player game, join up with friends, or get together with other "legit" players.
    I hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE!!!! self-imposed difficulty. It's the same ridiculous thing than if you walked with hand-stand anywhere you went. It helps your muscles, you won't get bored, it's more difficult than normal walking... SO WHY DON'T YOU DO IT!?
  • mushioov wrote:
    I hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE!!!! self-imposed difficulty. It's the same ridiculous thing than if you walked with hand-stand anywhere you went. It helps your muscles, you won't get bored, it's more difficult than normal walking... SO WHY DON'T YOU DO IT!?

But all difficulty in computer games is self-imposed. You impose it when you start the game in the first place. You impose it when you choose a difficult level higher than the lowest. You impose it when you keep trying against that tough boss instead of calling it a night.

Games are optional; you don't HAVE to play them. You choose to for an interesting challenge. Why would you ever do anything to remove the challenge? :/
  • Another thing I want to add, in regards to alternatives to avoid playing with "cheaters", is to recruit legit players on the forum. Because ****, we have a nice community here.
  • Great opening post and exactly my feelings towards the game. I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time and user created content will go a long way with that in mind.
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Posts: 345
    rosareven wrote:
    Another thing I want to add, in regards to alternatives to avoid playing with "cheaters", is to recruit legit players on the forum. Because ****, we have a nice community here.

From the way it sounds though, most of the great people in this nice community support the very freedom that is being labeled as cheating. I'm not sure looking here for "legit" players is the best strategy. ;)

I kid, I kid. :lol: