Potential Elite Tank Build - 1H/Shield

Comments

• Just wanted to say I'll be keeping an eye on this and thank you dudewiththepants for all of your hard work and brainstorming. I was just asked the other night to join some people for Elite so I was going to bring my engineer since we didn't have a tank but I already have 90 points in strength and didn't know I could take the skill point out of my hammer skill I start with. Thinking about just rerolling :) So far I just have points in bulwark and healing bot so maybe it isn't too bad of shape. She is only level 20 I think. My main is outlander so all of this info is a huge deal, so thank you again!! I'm very interested to see what you come up with and also perhaps there could be two builds, one for STR/FCS and another for FCS/VIT? Though definitely don't want to overload you haha. That FCS/VIT build does seem very interesting indeed! Take care :)
    -mike
    Creator of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker
    http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Build Lists For Elite I maintain
    **** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Stox, I was intending on heavy focus so the numbers have been re-reflected per your evaluation.

Reaper/Mike, Thanks a bunch. I started last night with a completely different build, as evidenced in my original post which is underneath the build in the OP. It just kept evolving. If I were you and you were interested in some less tanky builds like Str/Foc, there are a few posts floating around including this one by theDukey. I haven't looked into that type of thing myself as my only run with a Strength engineer thus far was on normal mode, and I didn't really know what I was doing. Just had a lot of Flame Hammer fun, I can tell you that.

You may also want to look into Cannon focused builds or pet builds. I can't personally say what a Str/Foc build would look like without Vitality though. I imagine you'd have to be very mobile and remain at range, but I could be wrong.

Casual, you could absolutely do that. However, Flame Hammer would see more gains from additional strength and less focus. Additionally, you wouldn't need Ember Hammer to break shields. Depending how tanky you wanted to be, and if you wanted to still do a 1h/shield, you'd want to shift some of the focus over to strength. Maybe go 1.5/0/1.5/2? I'm not entirely sure to be honest with you as I'm avoiding Flame Hammer. It's going to ****, big time, to level up in the low levels on Elite with my build, but ultimately Emberquake is going to supremely outdamage Flame Hammer, possibly as early as 5/15 Quake vs 15/15 hammer, according to some people who've run numbers.

Edit: Mike, check out this post if you're interested in a pet build - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38860
  • StoxStox Posts: 43
    Hey, Dude, one more major update.

I would leave out Sword and Board, it seems the effect of it isn't too much. looks almost negligible on dps of Emberquake. I could be wrong, but that what everything seems to be pointing at. I would get a confirmation on this if possible
  • Stox, I only put it back in because I lost the points from Flame Bash. Where do you think they'd be better suited?

Edit: Perhaps putting 5 more into Bulwark, and putting 10 into a support skill. Immobilization Copter? Or perhaps straight 15 into copter?
  • What do you think about Spider Mines? Those little guys can deal quite a lot of damage!
  • Spider mines are a good tool, though to make them more viable unfortunately I believe you have to gear for +minion stats, (could be wrong, gotta double check that).

They would require resummoning more often. I was looking for more of a fire and forget to A) ease mana use and B) give me more active time in battle for Dynamo and Emberquake.
  • Alright, I'll read your ideas tomorrow. Good night mate
  • naudsnauds Posts: 60
    Out of curiosity, why does this build have fire and spark and no skills that use fire or electricity?
  • Night Talshrem! I will do research about the spider mines.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=37355 - Exciting and interesting read.
    nauds wrote:
    Out of curiosity, why does this build have fire and spark and no skills that use fire or electricity?

Main nuke is Emberquake.
  • So, how much STR do you believe is needed in order to make it to level 21 before dying out of boredom?
  • i'd like to follow this build
    a question since i will put lot points in focus should i wear a wand?
  • purplelias wrote:
    i'd like to follow this build
    a question since i will put lot points in focus should i wear a wand?
    I wouldn't because Emberquake (your main DPS) scales off your DPS as well.
  • I don't claim to have much knowledge on this topic being that I'm learning this all myself, but I was wondering, isn't it slightly redundant to max Seismic Slam if you are going to max Emberquake since Emberquake will be the main spell you are using later? Thanks again for all of your work on this build!! Take care. :)
    -mike

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • I don't claim to have much knowledge on this topic being that I'm learning this all myself, but I was wondering, isn't it slightly redundant to max Seismic Slam if you are going to max Emberquake since Emberquake will be the main spell you are using later? Thanks again for all of your work on this build!! Take care. :)
    -mike
    Late game you will use Seismic Slam for utility mostly, the interrupt and stun chances are amazing.
    But yes, you will replace Seismic Slam with for Emberquake for the damage as soon as you can.
  • talshrem, I couldn't be sure about the str. I'm not planning on putting points into it myself. Check the first post I keep it fairly regularly updated. Honestly I'd be more concerned of dying in general than dying of boredom because there aren't a lot of tools available before level 15-20.

Purple, I mean, you could? If you wanted? You won't need to once you start getting your skills filled out because you won't really be auto attacking, that's not the goal of the build. But if you found one early on and wanted to use it with forcefield no one is stopping you. Personally I couldn't call myself an engineer if I did so, at least once I started wearing awesome armor and Emberquaking everything in the face.

Reaper, it absolutely is. But it's also your only real tool for damage early on, plus the stun is very important. Later on it's useful to jump into a group, stun them, get off a few dynamos, and then use the big nuke to finish them.

Let me just reiterate that this build will feel like slowly dying of plague early on without Flame Hammer, but it'll pay off later. Even though this is not a strength build, feel free to put a point into Flame Hammer and just remove it/reinsert it after applying your actual points for the build at least in the very early going. This won't work for too long because of how the stats are, but it may help in Act 1. I couldn't say how far for certain, but I intend to get as far as I can on **** after I finish rewatching the Avengers.
  • very nice guide but what skills should i max first? im going to lvl solo up to around 20 after that im going to lvl with a friend on elite
  • RyuukiRyuuki Posts: 277
    Thought about this skill build for a while, and it's actually pretty decent. At first, I thought you had too many actives(Honestly, for all my Tankgineer has gone through I had never find time to cycle so many actives), but if it's situational usage, then it's okay I guess. Even so, 15 into Seismic Slam seems a little too much. Would spend the points somewhere, since you pumped it for early damage(Interrupt can be done with Dynamo already).

Also, what gear will you be looking at particularly? Really curious about this too.
    Torchlight 2 Characters!

Tenkatsu(Physical Tankgineer)

Shotgonner(Shotgonne user)
    UsainBolt(PB Build)
  • I didn't see where else to realistically put the points with a focus heavy build that didn't also utilize charge, except for perhaps more bot support somehow. The early damage is immensely helpful since EQ won't be until so late in the game, but I mostly got it for the stun, not the interrupt. Where would you consider putting the points?

As for gear I'll let you know as I acquire it. Just jumping back in today.

Sundances, I've got a decent idea of up to 10 already in the progression section. As I try to proceed further up to 20 I'll update and get back to you.
  • I thought about something. What items do you use? Because you obviously can't wear better items than for your level because they require STR. Don't you feel a little weak compared to other Engineers who go 2str/2vit/1foc example? Yes, I know eventually you will stronger because your elemental damage is higher, but getting there... Isn't that just a bit too hard?

Oh, and what are your thoughts on Sword and Board? Because I don't really like Charge Reconstitution and thought of getting Sword and Board instead.

Here's the general idea I had in my mind, it's a bit more hybrid type of a build: [LINK DELETED]

P.S: What level is your character now? And how many deaths do you have?
    I didn't see where else to realistically put the points with a focus heavy build that didn't also utilize charge, except for perhaps more bot support somehow. The early damage is immensely helpful since EQ won't be until so late in the game, but I mostly got it for the stun, not the interrupt. Where would you consider putting the points?

As for gear I'll let you know as I acquire it. Just jumping back in today.

Sundances, I've got a decent idea of up to 10 already in the progression section. As I try to proceed further up to 20 I'll update and get back to you.

Back of my mind, I'm thinking about pumping points into roflcoptor. Since you're doing elite, the slow + interrupt will give you more leeway to act and have higher survivability.
    Torchlight 2 Characters!

UsainBolt(PB Build)
  • What about leveling up Seismic just to level 5? It seems when you level it up all it is increasing is stun chance and every tier a bit more range. When the monsters are all trying to murder you do you really need that much bigger of a range? Level 5 is 72% chance to stun which seems pretty darn good. Points could then maybe go into spidermines or gunbot. Looks like spidermines are pretty darn powerful according to the links you posted and what I've been reading. Perhaps those could be the main damage? Just an idea! :) I'll be trying your build today myself :D Take care :)
    -mike
    EDIT - This is also an interesting read :)
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/conten ... page2.html Someone made a good point in another thread though about Aegis how especially for Game Plus or whatever it is called it only takes a few hits to die so Aegis might not be so useful anymore. I know you don't have it in yours so I think you made a solid choice on that one :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Talshrem, so far I found a nice unique fire/ice mace and some moderately terrible armor. Fighting tooth and nail til level 7 was terrifying on ****, but I'm 10 now and feeling a bit better with the mana regen from the bot and one or two decent gems. I definitely feel weak when I'm slowly hitting people for almost no damage, but once I had mana regen jumping up and down repeatedly seismic slamming weak groups was fairly efficient. I won't lie, it's not exactly exciting or quick but once I get more focus and better gear it'll slowly ramp up. That's the hope. Is it too hard now? No, it's not too hard. It is hard though, and on Elite **** I panic when I get surrounded and my low level forcefield drops immediately. I can't wait for Onslaught.

Sword and Board was in, but I then dropped it, because most of its hidden benefit to damage is consequently tied to how good your strength is, which in this build, is nil. If you want to get it, drop the points from the damage bot. It's really just filler. Or go with what Ryuuki suggested and put it into the roflcopter. I'm also considering doing that if I don't feel like I need the damage assistance later. Slows are nice.

Reaper, that's definitely true. It's flexible if you want it to be. All that really matters is that it's reliable as a stun, and you can somehow scrape your way til Emberquake. That may be one of the threads I read regarding not taking Aegis as well, good find.

First post updated with my actual level 10 build as opposed to a theorcrafted one. I'm currently in the midst of Act 1 on **** Elite.
  • how sad i feel

the best builds for my engineer are turning out to be focus heavy

why did i roll a str 2h engi?
  • Blah. This build is slowly making me want to /wrist myself as I very very marginally make progress towards being able to kill things. Oi.

I keep telling myself it'll all be worth it at 42 but that seems extremely far away. Strongly debating reworking some of the focus/vit into strength STRICTLY for early game, if only to reduce the mental fatigue, and be less optimal later on.
  • I'm surprised to hear you say that because I feel like I'm flying through. I've only put points into healing bot, forcefield, 5 into siesmic and the rest into that one that ups elec and fire damage. Especially compared to my Outlander on Elite, he's cruising. I just do really quick hit and runs with siesmic on bosses and they are down in no time and I rarely even bother putting up forcefield. I'm not on **** though and I have died a few times but I've also been often fighting monsters a 3-4 levels higher than me. I think your build is working out awesome and I'm having more fun than I expected. I don't think you should give up on your build, it is good stuff! Take care.
    -mike
    EDIT - This thread on Spider Mines is very interesting:
    viewtopic.php?f=45&t=39365

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • I got this idea. You can get 1 point in Flame Hammer just for the early levels and reset it every other level just for easier 20 levels. Once you find yourself not using it or just too weak for the leveled mobs you restart it and spend the point on your actual build.
    talshrem wrote:
    I got this idea. You can get 1 point in Flame Hammer just for the early levels and reset it every other level just for easier 20 levels. Once you find yourself not using it or just too weak for the leveled mobs you restart it and spend the point on your actual build.

And then you need to earn extra few thousand for the respec. It's not really smart, considering that you use that much more pots in Elite, and he probably will be up the wall trying to get more pots(Just out of the back of my mind).

Also, Pants, I think what Reaper suggested is good. Cappign Seismic Slam at 5, then go ahead with all your skill points into roflcoptor when it's available.
    Torchlight 2 Characters!

UsainBolt(PB Build)
  • Talshrem what I did is just put two points into healing bot and used flame hammer until level 7. Then I took the point out and leveled Seismic to 5 and focused on pumping points into healing bot and Fire and Spark. I was thinking putting points into Fire and Spark for my Seismic is a better idea since it will help Emberquake when I get there! I haven't put any points into Bulwark since I'm undecided if it is worth it since it isn't physical damage that tends to kill me, but magical. I'm towards the end of act 2 and I've died maybe 4 times. Most of the time it has been when I wasn't paying enough attention though one time was going over a rope bridge with a mage on the other side and the tornadoes all grouped together on the bridge and I ran right into them not expecting them. My playstyle is probably a little different than most though. I run around spamming Seismic in more of a kiting fashion than sitting there trying to tank. It works out really well because I can even just do small jukes to dodge the melee and lay in the Seismic and keep that burning damage going.

Ryuuki what do you like so much about the copter? I don't know much about it. I wonder how the damage would be for it with the electricity + Fire and Spark!

Take care.
    -mike

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
    Ryuuki what do you like so much about the copter? I don't know much about it. I wonder how the damage would be for it with the electricity + Fire and Spark!

Take care.
    -mike

The damage is actually not that high. It's the speed reduction and the(Tier 3) interrupt that is really important for HC characters, IMO. At level 5, it can slow up to 5 enemies around you by 28% movespeed/38% cast speed/attack speed. That's pretty significant, and it gives you more time to react if you find yourself in a tight spot without much room to move around (E.G. luminous arena).
    Torchlight 2 Characters!

UsainBolt(PB Build)
  • That luminous arena point is a really good one! I died so many times going through there with my outlander. It might be worth getting copter just for that! Thank you for your insight! For just an Elite I don't think it is quite as necessary but for HC sounds like a must. Take care :)
    -mike

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander