Potential Elite Tank Build - 1H/Shield

1234568»

Comments

• lvbuckeye wrote:
    soooo, with this focus build, how do you upgrade your weapon? am i supposed to use a wand?

i'm lvl 72 with a lvl 37 unique sword, and a lvl 42 unique shield. i've gambled a couple hundred thousand gold, and everything i get needs strength...

Sorry to say but yeah, you will just have to wait for level requirements to equip later swords. Same goes for some build stat allocations really like Focus Outlanders needing high dex guns for Venomous Hail.

You can stat enchant using Boris for a bit, if you happen to see him, to give you hopefully some STR.

While waiting for the level requirement of a sword and if you don't mind the lesser survivability of no shields, you can equip a Staff. It only needs Focus and works for every Engineer skill in this guide.
  • hadn't considered a staff. thanks!
  • iisteniisten Posts: 11
    lvbuckeye wrote:
    soooo, with this focus build, how do you upgrade your weapon? am i supposed to use a wand?

i'm lvl 72 with a lvl 37 unique sword, and a lvl 42 unique shield. i've gambled a couple hundred thousand gold, and everything i get needs strength...

do you have any gear with luck% on it? Or perhaps running the Luminous Arena a few times might yield better items for you :idea:
  • This build has a few problems early on, once you start reaching 35+, you really see the difference, you can keep your forcefield up with 5 charges all the time as long as you use your dynamo 3-4 times on 2 enemies, I was having problems earlier because of having low level items, and I am still suffering a bit because of that.
    I would advise people who are playing on elite with this class, to at least have a main character who can give these characters with this build a bit of a head start, or at least try and farm at luminous arena so you can get unique every time you do it.

I would focus on getting items that grant you resistances, fire damage or electric damage % increases, and mana regeneration when hitting enemies. Also make sure to have at least 1 point in bulwark, its 1 point wonder, giving you 2% physical armor and 2% physical damage reduction.
  • iisten wrote:
    lvbuckeye wrote:

do you have any gear with luck% on it? Or perhaps running the Luminous Arena a few times might yield better items for you :idea:

I used a staff for a couple levels. Now I have a pretty good unique mace. Just waiting a couple more levels to be able to equip a very nice unique mace in my inventory. :)
  • Use Synergies mod by Salan.
  • You should call this build the Juggernaut, its really amazing once you hit level 50, holy cow.
  • What would a Best in Slot build look like? Would it just be Mondon's, biting the bullet wasting a bunch of strength and melee set bonuses?
  • karixkarix Posts: 5
    For people who are leveling you can slot +strength and +vitality skulls or eyes to speed up the pre 42 evil a bit, nice weapons make the low levels much quicker to power through. Assuming you have other toons that have found them.
  • SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
    doafihood wrote:
    2. how do u deal with the low mana.

Just change Few of your +DEX or +STR gems with few Mana/sec regen ones. It will make your mana regen really fast (also at higher lvls When your heal bot is maxed, it will regenerate your mana much faster and it should be enough).
    Or You can simplu put Rift Ember in your weapon. If you need mana just nomral hit any monster two or three times and continue spamming EQ (i chose that way).
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
  • SynakyzSynakyz Posts: 2
    Thank you very much, it had helped me very much :)
  • OathbreakerOathbreaker Posts: 96
    Funny how the author of this thread hasn't been around since Oct 2012.
    HCE Solo. Ex WoW movie maker. USN Deepsea. Canyoneer. Ironman. CrossFit Instructor.
    Fire and Spark 15/15 - Strong boost to several skills for damage purposes, most notably Emberquake. Combine with Fire Bash for maximum hilarity.

Could someone explain why Fire Bash is good/hilarious, but he's then not including it in the build? I'm strictly HCE so far and have yet to make it past 28 with any char.

Also, why is this seemingly the most popular Engi build thread, yet the author has not updated, and it remains (?) unproven in late game?
    HCE Solo. Ex WoW movie maker. USN Deepsea. Canyoneer. Ironman. CrossFit Instructor.
  • mrfurionmrfurion Posts: 9
    This build is insanely powerful. I'm only at NG++ but everything just melts in the wake of my rivers of fire, and I basically can't be killed. Is there any build more dominant overall (damage+survival) than a 1h/shield engi with emberquake?
  • MachinezaMachineza Posts: 4
    I just beat the Netherlord with this build at level 55 on HCE (about 34 hours play). Definitely a decent build that gets better as one progresses.

I played untwinked and fully cleared all areas and quests, and just farmed a little before Grand Regent, because I'm wary of him, and also Grom, for his Fireblade.
    Machineza wrote:
    I just beat the Netherlord with this build at level 55 on HCE (about 34 hours play). Definitely a decent build that gets better as one progresses.

I played untwinked and fully cleared all areas and quests, and just farmed a little before Grand Regent, because I'm wary of him, and also Grom, for his Fireblade.

How did you distribute stats?
  • MachinezaMachineza Posts: 4
    I chose to distribute 3 to Focus and 2 to Vitality per level (according to the original post). It performed adequately, but I doubt this allocation is 100% optimal. I suggest you consider this thread for a more detailed analysis of Emberquake: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44579
    Machineza wrote:
    I chose to distribute 3 to Focus and 2 to Vitality per level (according to the original post). It performed adequately, but I doubt this allocation is 100% optimal. I suggest you consider this thread for a more detailed analysis of Emberquake: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44579

Getting a Chrome malware alert for that thread right now, if it's the EQ analysis thread I've seen before, I'm thinking that EQ damage is higher with a balanced of STR and FOC. Since you also need VIT for Block and DEX for dodge ...I'm lost. I guess it really depends on what difficulty you play, how skilled, how much gear you have, how slow you go and if you play Solo or with friends.
  • Machineza wrote:

Getting a Chrome malware alert for that thread right now, if it's the EQ analysis thread I've seen before, I'm thinking that EQ damage is higher with a balanced of STR and FOC. Since you also need VIT for Block and DEX for dodge ...I'm lost. I guess it really depends on what difficulty you play, how skilled, how much gear you have, how slow you go and if you play Solo or with friends.

I think they Key with this is optimum emberquake damage =/= balanced build. there will be times that pumping a stat a bit so you can use the amazing weapon you just found can make the difference between dying and surviving. or putting more points into Vitality so you can survive those one shot kills long enough to get an emberquake out. if you have gear set up for your toon then stat optimization is fine, but if it's your first toon and your nekked, you need to balance stats out for what works for you. I've seen both pure focus builds and Str/Focus builds work fine. I go with enough Vit for block, then enough Str for gear, and the rest probably into Focus. Dex is an optional one...dodge is nice, but you really have to make a choice with stats, and most people pick block over dodge.
  • GoobusGoobus Posts: 1
    I have a question about this build.

Im only a lvl 38 engineer atm and I find it hard to find new weapons to use just because I have no strength. Most weapons I stumble upon needs str. If this build requires just focus and Vitality how do I use 1h weapons and shields?

Cheers
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    Borris Strength enchants on gear.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • VissyVissy Posts: 4
    I was looking into this build and would like to use it without forcefield.

I came up with build that looks a bit like this.

[LINK DELETED]

as a complete newb I would like to hear some feedback.

Is the Immobcopter/overload combination enough to fill the spot of force field.

Also is putting 85 points into strength (mostly for gear) a waste?
  • RetsRedsRetsReds Posts: 1,013
    Vissy wrote:
    I was looking into this build and would like to use it without forcefield.

I came up with build that looks a bit like this.

[LINK DELETED]

as a complete newb I would like to hear some feedback.

Is the Immobcopter/overload combination enough to fill the spot of force field.

Also is putting 85 points into strength (mostly for gear) a waste?

I'm currently using a very similar build on Elite and so far (lvl 65) it works flawlessly (it required a little Limoany farm tho). As for feedback - choose either Supercharge or Shield bash, you don't need both. I use Supercharge and auto-attacks to damage and get charge (also to heal via life steal) but you can also use Shield bash to damage and get charge (gonna have to get heals from another source), but you don't need both because you can't use both at the same time. If you're gonna use Shield bash then you don't need Str - just focus on Focus and Vitality. If you are going to use Supercharge then get Str and leave Focus for later levels through enchants.

Also - check this thread - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56425
    Solomon Grumpy's using a Shield bash build with no FF and I'm using a Supercharge build with no FF - they both work (so far). :)

Last but not least - Overload is AWESOME! :D
    RetsReds wrote:

I'm currently using a very similar build on Elite and so far (lvl 65) it works flawlessly (it required a little Limoany farm tho). As for feedback - choose either Supercharge or Shield bash, you don't need both. I use Supercharge and auto-attacks to damage and get charge (also to heal via life steal) but you can also use Shield bash to damage and get charge (gonna have to get heals from another source), but you don't need both because you can't use both at the same time. If you're gonna use Shield bash then you don't need Str - just focus on Focus and Vitality. If you are going to use Supercharge then get Str and leave Focus for later levels through enchants.

Also - check this thread - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56425
    Solomon Grumpy's using a Shield bash build with no FF and I'm using a Supercharge build with no FF - they both work (so far). :)

Last but not least - Overload is AWESOME! :D

Thanks for input RetsReds would you suggest maxing Ember hammer instead? If I'm leaving shield bash completely out?
    Vissy wrote:
    Thanks for input RetsReds would you suggest maxing Ember hammer instead? If I'm leaving shield bash completely out?

Well, when I started this build my initial thought was to max Emberhammer, yes. It's generally much weaker then Emberquake and Flame hammer but I was getting tired of those two, so at first I was thinking about [LINK DELETED]. However when I started and I saw how awesome Overload is (hadn't used it before with neither of all my engis) I decided EH's just not worth it - stick with Overload instead, it's just much better. So I just dropped Emberhammer and I'm honestly not recommending it.

And please note that I'm not saying Supercharge is better then Shield bash - both ways to go are pretty fun so it's up to you to decide which one you want. Supercharge gives you the advantage of life steal, but Shield bash gives you the advantage of not needing Str. However with both of those builds I'd say you should leave Emberhammer alone and just stick with Overload(+Charge Reconstitution) and/or use EQ or FH instead of EH.
    RetsReds wrote:
    Vissy wrote:

Well, when I started this build my initial thought was to max Emberhammer, yes. It's generally much weaker then Emberquake and Flame hammer but I was getting tired of those two, so at first I was thinking about [LINK DELETED]. However when I started and I saw how awesome Overload is (hadn't used it before with neither of all my engis) I decided EH's just not worth it - stick with Overload instead, it's just much better. So I just dropped Emberhammer and I'm honestly not recommending it.

And please note that I'm not saying Supercharge is better then Shield bash - both ways to go are pretty fun so it's up to you to decide which one you want. Supercharge gives you the advantage of life steal, but Shield bash gives you the advantage of not needing Str. However with both of those builds I'd say you should leave Emberhammer alone and just stick with Overload(+Charge Reconstitution) and/or use EQ or FH instead of EH.

Yeah I played a bit with Shield bash in it just got a bit boring. Maybe ill look into Emberquake and ofcourse Overload :D
    Vissy wrote:
    Yeah I played a bit with Shield bash in it just got a bit boring. Maybe ill look into Emberquake and ofcourse Overload :D

Well, here's the thing - EQ doesn't require charge, which is great, but it also doesn't build it. And Overload requires charge to deal good damage. In order for Overload to be constantly well supplied with charge you need to generate a lot of charge. If you kill everything with EQ you won't be building much charge and Overload won't be used that much. So if you are going for EQ you might as well skip Overload. So if you skip Overload and if you are using a charge-free offensive spell (EQ) then you don't have anything to use your charge on ... so then why not FF? See - full circle.

EQ+FF is a pretty cookie-cutter build, but if you are going without FF I'd suggest skipping EQ too. Either go for Overload or with Flame hammer - both deal great (EQ-like) damage when charged and with Charge Reconstitution they're also good for defence. So a good FF-less fighting style might be:

1-Onslaught
    2-Several Supercharged attacks or several Shield bashes
    3-Charged FH or Overload
    4-Repeat

Not that you can't go for EQ - you can, it's a great skill. But you won't need neither Overload, nor charge then.
    Thanks for all your input really helped me get a better understanding of Engineer charge building mechanics
  • Can anybody give me some weapon recommendations for when I outgrow Grom's Fireblade? I've just hit level 55 and am starting to notice that it is taking me a lot longer to kill things than before (I'm in act 2 NG+). Should I be looking for a random enchanted/rare sword/mace/hammer/etc. that just has higher dmg?

Edit: Just found this little diddy [LINK DELETED]
  • Has anyone played this build without respec? If so, what's your strategy?
1234568»