Fire IC Build, Elite 120 Tartarus video

PyrosEienPyrosEien Posts: 269
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
Refreshing this old guide a bit, I've returned to my fire mage and leveled it to 100 and now running Tartarus Lite on elite for skulls/few drops so I can do Tartarus Extreme. As I said before, Fire isn't the easiest or the most powerful build of the Embermage, but it's a very fun one. It is very viable but Frost will tend to be easier and Prismatic bolt even easier. It's also a bit rougher to level with early on.

So the build I'm currently using is [LINK DELETED]. There's a few optional skills so you could get something else if you want(for example Elemental Boon), I'll go over the skills individually.

Fire

Magma Spear
Should be fairly obvious, it's a strong single target spell that will mainly be used for bosses but also for random mobs earlier in the game(lvl 1-45 or so). It has very long range(with 5pts) and short cast time and applies a powerful dot so it's perfect for kiting or for weaving inbetween other spells. You don't really need 15points in this as the tier3 bonus is fairly crappy and the damage increase isn't amazing in the last 5ranks(seems large but it's over 6secs and the dot doesn't stack). 10points is great to maximize the dot aspect though as you won't be casting Magma Spear that often later on so it needs to apply the dot quickly and keep it up for a long time. Priority: High. Get 5points by 10, then make sure you have 5points to level it to 10 by lvl 40 but don't put points inbetween to keep the better mana efficiency until higher levels.

Blazing Pillar
One of the greatest spell in the fire mage arsenal. It's a fire and forget tracking skill but it's also the highest damaging spell in the entire Embermage skillset, assuming you cast it decently close to the target and it's alone and not moving. Now that's a lot of conditions which is why it's not flat out the best spell in the game, but it is very strong. It's a great spell to clear smaller mobs that are surrounding you without having to individually target them with magma spear or infernal collapse and it's a great spell to drop on bosses especially in combination of Ice Prison. Priority: Medium. Put 1point asap then level at your convenience, it does just fine at 1point for a while anyway.

Infernal Collapse
Your bread and butter spell. You will use this a lot so you need to get used to how it works. It has a fairly slow casting time AND has a delay before it detonates(about half a second). On top of that it has a knockback, so aiming well is gonna be important if you don't want to push mobs toward yourself. Because of its high damage however, it will generally kill all the smaller monsters in a single blast and can kill even the bigger ones in a single crit. Bosses(but not champions) tend to be immune to the knockback so just fire away. Priority: High. Level it everytime you can, even inbetween tiers, the damage increase is good and the mana increase won't be an issue due to the slow frenquency of the casts(cooldown+delay+high dmg).

Immolation Aura
This is an interesting skill because basically, the only reason you take it are the tier bonus, the spell itself is pretty much terrible. It does low damage in a small range around you, it's mostly only good at destroying jars and such. However the damage reduction that comes with every tier is vital to survival in later parts of the game in elite difficulty. Or at least, it's very useful(you could clear stuff without any DR% but it'll be harder). Priority: Low. Only level when you can get the next tier, even then it's generally not going to have a big impact until late game anyway.

Firestorm
The last fire spell you get, this is mostly a spell for bosses killing. The slow cast time as well as the slow dot type damage means it's mostly useless against normal mobs which will die to a collapse before this even gets the time to tick twice. However it is extremely good for bosses as it increases the damage taken, which is a different mechanic from increasing the damage you do. The difference is that increasing the damage taken increases your total damage by that amount, while stuff that increases damage done by x% only increases the base amount. This means every point in Firestorm past the first will really increase your dmg by 2%. The tier2 and 3 bonuses are fairly worthless but still a good skill to max to increase damage. Priority: Medium. Put one point into it asap, then level whenever you have some points not going into high priority spells.



Frost

Frost Phase
Obvious 1point wonder skill, every build should have it, this one is no exception, Fire build or not, you want this. It has a multitude of uses, from escaping a bad situation, avoiding an incoming big hit, travelling around or closing the gap to unleash Pillars from point blank. Priority: High. Make sure to put a point into it at 14, don't bother leveling it after that.

Ice Prison
Not really a fire spell per say, but still one of the best spells in the game. The most common use for it will be to prevent bosses and champions from reaching you, while they will destroy the prison walls in a single hit, they will sometimes hesitate a bit, sometimes destroy the back then run around it to reach you and overall lose time to get out. During this time you can nail them with collapses and pillars which should make quick work of them. You don't need to max this, 1point is generally good enough, but maxing it ensure you can keep the bosses in one spot for extended periods of time(unless they have a charge) which makes it very easy to kill them. 5points is also a decent investment over 1pt as it does a fair amount of damage when the target breaks the wall, which will make it worth casting just for the damage aspect. Priority: Low. Put a point asap then level at your convenience, getting the 5point bonus asap is recommended if you're going to put more than one point though.



Storm


Death Bounty Now this is a great spell. First obviously it gives mana regen, but that's not really important, what matters is it also heals you, which is quite useful and saves you a lot of potions but the second great aspect is at tier 1, it slows. It's only a 33%slow and only for 2secs, but that's enough for an Infernal collapse to hit. This is your midgame combo, Death Bounty to slow a group of mobs then an easier Collapse to reap the benefits. Don't hesitate to recast it on mobs just for the slow, it pays itself and some mana wise once you kill the mobs and it's a great on demand slow. It's a great survability and utility spell all in one. You could opt to not level this at all, or less than 15points, however I highly recommend at least 10points for the faster cast time and the slow if you plan on taking it at all. It's also important to point out that late game potions take forever to heal you up because they stop scaling very early while your health grows a lot once you can use skulls of rielchu, so having Death's Bounty lets you heal up very quickly. Priority: High. Level it up everytime you can after Infernal Collapse.



Passives

Prismatic Rift
1pt wonder, I don't take it in my final build but you could put points into it. I didn't like the interaction with ranged mobs getting teleported closer because of it and since it doesn't "block" hits and only teleport stuff after they hit you, I found it to be rarely useful. Priority: Low

Wand Chaos
Another 1pt wonder, obviously only good if using a wand but I'll come back to itemization after. Great early game when spamming Magma Spear, procs all kind of neat stuff, the only bad one being Chaotic Rift which seems to have a 90%chance to move the mob closer to you when you're low hp so it can kill you in one hit. Well not really, but it can happen ^^. Priority: Low

Charge Mastery
I put 5points in this very early to help with mana issues. Also once you have Blazing Pillar and Infernal Collapse, I feel charge goes up fast enough without needing more than those 5points, so I leave it at that. The amount of points is arbitrary so get whatever you feel like, you could probably get 0 if you don't mind chugging mana pots early on. At level 100 I reach full charge in 2 collapses or 1 pillar with only 5points. Priority: High. Level to 5 asap to fix mana issues early in the game.

Elemental Attunement
I recommend 3points minimum in this, I personally ended up dropping all my spare points into it. Not the most useful but still kinda useful when it procs poison on bosses for 8-10seconds. Priority: Low. Get a few points early on to make burning/freezing last longer but don't put points into it unless there is absolutely nothing else to put points in.

Frozen Fate
1pt wonder, you could drop more points into it if you want, it adds a decent amount of control to the build and is most useful early on. Eventually becomes useless though as most mobs who aren't immune to it will drop dead instantly anyway. Priority: Low. Put your initial point asap then if you choose to level it, don't prioritize it.

Fire, Frost, Lightning Brand
1point wonder passives for added damage, they mostly proc off elemental attunement debuffs as well as Magma Spear applying the debuffs from the elemental damage of your wand. You will also want to max Fire Brand because the build is mostly fire dmg obviously. Priority: Low. Put 1point in each early on but you don't really need to put more points into it unless you have nothing else, Brands don't scale very well per points early on. I had Fire Brand still at 1pt until lvl 70 or so when I finally had nothing else to put points in.



Stats and Spells

For stats I went 5focus every level. You could drop a few points in vitality early on or even go 4/1 but I personally feel like vitality isn't really a good stat, it gives very low health amounts per point, the armor is absolutely irrelevant past lvl 20 in elite and the block% is nice but won't be necessary to cap block anyway. Still it doesn't really matter too much in the end as you'll simply have to tweak your stats enchants to get more focus or more vitality depending on what you leveled. For spells, there pretty much isn't anything that's necessary. I ran Barter(gambling), Adventuring(replaced with Arcane Tools at lvl 100), Treasure Hunting and Block. Block is probably the most useful here. Elemental Overload isn't horrible if you want to press more buttons but as I pointed out in the Firestorm explanation, it only gives 25% of your base dmg as a boost, which is relatively a small amount(I already have like +500%dmg from focus/fire dmg, making it +525% isn't very noticeable). On my pet I have Animal Handling(for the travel cooldown), Frost(good dmg and freezing procs for ice brand) and Summon skeleton+blood zombie.


Gear and Gems

Here it's fairly similar to most classes in endgame elite, you'll want to get some damage reduction %, some flat health and maybe some damage too. I recommend trying to get 35% DR at least from gear+gems so you have 50% with maxed immolation aura. For this, there's a few items like [LINK DELETED] which are the best Fire jewelry in the game and you most likely won't replace them until after a long time at 100 as there's no better rings but perfect rolls blue rings and you'll also need the Transcendent Amulet to make up for the cast speed. You can gamble those in Act2 NG, from about lvl 25 to 35(I got mine at lvl 27).

Besides the DR% stuff, flat health is going to be your best friend, make sure to transmute all your gems to get Blood Embers with +health and drop that in all your gear when there's unused sockets. Without a socket enchanter though you'll probably be full with just Grell/Limoany.

Good offensive stats include +%fire, +%all damage and +%cast speed. Cast speed is especially nice to get quicker combos off, while Magma Spear isn't affected and while you can't chain cast Collapse, you will often do quick successions of multiple different spells for which Cast speed helps greatly.


Playstyle and Videos

Early on, you just spam Magma spear on stuff, nothing else really. When you get Blazing Pillar, use that clear larger packs or champs/bosses. Once you first unlock Infernal Collapse, it won't be that great but still decent to clear large groups of smaller mobs. Get used to the timing and such. As soon as you unlock the first tier as well as Death's Bounty first tier though, you should be ready for your basic combo which will be what you use all the way to and at 100. First cast death bounty then quickly follow up with a collapse. Try to lead the collapse a bit so it pushes back mobs that don't die instantly, this is generally done by casting it slightly closer from yourself than the death bounty you just cast. For champions and bosses, generally start by casting a prison on them, then press and hold your magma spear button. You'll keep it pressed the whole fight(or well when you're not running around at least) and cast your other spells inbetween spears. If you queue another spell while holding magma spear, it'll cast then resume spearing, so you never waste time not casting. Your priority for spells after that is always have Firestorm debuff up, always cast pillar when it's ready, cast collapse the rest of the time and keep magma spear pressed so it fires inbetween spells to apply the dot. Reposition as you need with Frost Phase and recast Ice Prison whenever it's up to block the boss again.

Level 119-120 Tartarus Lite elite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJWhqMfBiM
«1

Comments

  • Bumping this old thread, been playing my fire mage lately and have seen a few threads popping up about fire. Added a gameplay video too.
  • Nice guide, im currently making my own Fire Embermage,

    Just got one proiblem currently, Gambling, i have gambled for about 100k gold atm, and am currently lvl 31 and im out of gold, so, is there a good way to make gold so i can gamble for the 2 rings and the Amulet? cause i wouldent want to miss out on those 3 super awesome items just cause i dont have gold.
  • Miothan wrote:
    Nice guide, im currently making my own Fire Embermage,

    Just got one proiblem currently, Gambling, i have gambled for about 100k gold atm, and am currently lvl 31 and im out of gold, so, is there a good way to make gold so i can gamble for the 2 rings and the Amulet? cause i wouldent want to miss out on those 3 super awesome items just cause i dont have gold.

    You can reset world and kill Manticore over and over(lots of gold spawns after you kill it) and look for the phase beasts in the desert that leads to the one with the undead pirates(might be in the 2nd desert area only though not sure), both give large amounts of gold but other than that I don't really know any specific ways. When you gamble though, make sure to check the cost of what you buy. If you find a unique, check the level of it, if it's lower level then the rings you want are worth more and it's pointless to buy anything that's cheaper. If it's the same level it has a very close cost(but generally not exactly the same) and so on. You can vastly reduce the amount of gambling you have to do with this trick if you know what you're looking for. Also get a Barter scroll(you unlock the scroll vendor in the 2nd desert sidequest, the one with all the birds) as that helps a lot when gambling. I think you can keep leveling though, as long as you don't move to NG+, Act2 gambler should stay within the right level range for these pieces. I'm not 100% sure though.
  • OdirOdir Posts: 80
    As i can see in your video, and as you wrote it in your build description, you are using gunnbren gems with +15% fire dmg... If you cant get ur hands on wfuntir skulls ok.. but u would be wasting other gems or the item gemming into..

    focus is your most important dmg stat, as 2 focus = 1% elemental damage, that means a 62 Focus wfuntir would give you +31% dmg increase against any other dmg gem... (sarcasm incomming) hmm which one is the winner here?

    for enchanting i would recommend going for stats only, to get caps like block and so on... and obvious focus enchants...

    as for your thoughts on brands, you should max fire brand early because it scales with focus and gives you a reasonable amout of damage increase without costing mana and pushing other spells only to get tiers or if you know your mana pool can handle it, enough said about that... total nobrainer.

    the rest is pretty much a standart solid fire build.
    Odir - lvl 100 hc elite RiP -> Frostmage Build by me
    Heisenberg - lvl 100 hc elite -> Tank Summon Engi Video + Thoughts by me
    Shaman - lvl 100 sc elite -> Wolfshaman of the North Build by me
  • Odir wrote:
    As i can see in your video, and as you wrote it in your build description, you are using gunnbren gems with +15% fire dmg... If you cant get ur hands on wfuntir skulls ok.. but u would be wasting other gems or the item gemming into..

    focus is your most important dmg stat, as 2 focus = 1% elemental damage, that means a 62 Focus wfuntir would give you +31% dmg increase against any other dmg gem... (sarcasm incomming) hmm which one is the winner here?

    for enchanting i would recommend going for stats only, to get caps like block and so on... and obvious focus enchants...

    as for your thoughts on brands, you should max fire brand early because it scales with focus and gives you a reasonable amout of damage increase without costing mana and pushing other spells only to get tiers or if you know your mana pool can handle it, enough said about that... total nobrainer.

    the rest is pretty much a standart solid fire build.

    If you check I only use a few of them, in the jewelry set. It's a lvl 31 jewelry set, you can't fit anything better in terms of damage stats. In the rest of the gear I have either grell, rielchu or limoany, and even some empty sockets/wasted sockets. The thing is this is not the endgame gear at all. I'm also using crappy low level shoulders, belt, pants and so on, I made the video when I started farming but not after I was done farming. I didn't have a single wfuntir skull so it's not like I had a choice really. The endgame build would have like 300-400more focus than what I shown. What is interesting however is even with fairly low stats like I had, everything was dying super fast. Makes the build very viable even before reaching "endgame gear". With that said I'd prioritize rielchu/limoany/grell over wfuntir, still. I think I'd only use a few wfuntir, but I was planning to maybe get the asphyx set for 5sockets in gloves+helm and abuse that to get a lot more focus from them without losing any stats.

    Not sure what you mean about enchants, I have stats enchants on everything.

    And Firebrand scales poorly early on per point. Mana is a complete non issue as a fire build as you spend most of the time in charge anyway even with 0pt in charge mastery(just look at how quick I go from 0charge to full charge and I only have 5pts, I didn't use a single mana potion from like lvl 30 to lvl 100) and adding 1pt to Infernal Collapse will tend to do more damage than in Firebrand for example, simiarily for Blazing Pillar, as well as reach various caps in other stuff. Sure I could be leveling Firebrand before but then it delays the rest, I didn't have any spare points until 70 from the other skills leveling, I guess if you cut charge mastery though you'd have a few. You don't have to level stuff as you go, besides IC which I find scales very well over every level, but you'll still want to save your points to put 5pts into stuff when you can reach the next tier.
  • OdirOdir Posts: 80
    I never said you should prioritize damage over survivability, infact i did level 3 toons in elite hc to 100 myself and 1 in sc elite, i just saw some gunnbrens in your gear and didnt actually look if you had endgear or not, so yeah my mistake. also it was kind of late here, so my attention span suffered a bit.

    about my post over enchants: i only mentioned that because you didnt mention the "enchant for caps" in your build, which is a pretty common strategy atm.

    i leveled a few elite hc emermages (whith differnt builds) throughout my overall playtime, and on every single embermage i reached a point early to midgame where you are chewing those mana pots and a brand was the only viable damage increase. maybe the factor that i play alot of hc has somethin to do with that, because you dont rush into anything, but i havent played a fire toon over 40 yet... but its common knowlegde to not push certain skills too far in terms of mana consumption.
    Odir - lvl 100 hc elite RiP -> Frostmage Build by me
    Heisenberg - lvl 100 hc elite -> Tank Summon Engi Video + Thoughts by me
    Shaman - lvl 100 sc elite -> Wolfshaman of the North Build by me
  • Odir wrote:
    I never said you should prioritize damage over survivability, infact i did level 3 toons in elite hc to 100 myself and 1 in sc elite, i just saw some gunnbrens in your gear and didnt actually look if you had endgear or not, so yeah my mistake. also it was kind of late here, so my attention span suffered a bit.

    about my post over enchants: i only mentioned that because you didnt mention the "enchant for caps" in your build, which is a pretty common strategy atm.

    i leveled a few elite hc emermages (whith differnt builds) throughout my overall playtime, and on every single embermage i reached a point early to midgame where you are chewing those mana pots and a brand was the only viable damage increase. maybe the factor that i play alot of hc has somethin to do with that, because you dont rush into anything, but i havent played a fire toon over 40 yet... but its common knowlegde to not push certain skills too far in terms of mana consumption.

    You're right I forgot to mention enchants, I guess because I think it's common knowledge by now that you should enchant stats on everything, at least until block cap and prioritize focus over the other stats.

    On the mana consumption thing, due to how Embermage charge works, it's a lot simpler than the usual builds where you want to find out the mana consumption vs dmg increase per point equilibrium and stay there as long as possible and so on. Embermages in general don't have mana issues due to charge, as long as you use abilities that generate charge(so anything but storms builds). Might have problem early game but very quickly you outgrow the mana issues especially when going 5focus per level. Prismatic might be problematic still due to it generating less charge than usual, but having played both frost and fire mage, there's really not much of a point in leaving stuff at certain ranks instead of leveling them as you can, besides maybe Icy Bolts(then again leaving it at 5 is good enough in most frost builds and leveling it to 5 right away isn't an issue mana-wise). Fire generates even more charge than other builds, with Blazing Pillar giving increased charge and Infernal Collapse being a very high damage ability balanced with a slow cast time and a cooldown, which means you can't really run yourself oom with it very quickly to begin with and you generally only need a single cast to take out group of mobs, cast that also generate a large amount of charge.

    I personally think that if you can sustain it, there is no reason to stay at a lower rank even if the damage gain per point isn't the greatest. And even if you do want to stay at a lower rank, there is no reason to assign points to something else if you're not going to have enough points for the next tier bonus as soon as it unlocks. I'd rather have 10 unassigned points so I can get the stuff as soon as it unlocks over a meager increase in the meantime that will delay those tier unlocks, which are really the important aspect in assigning points.

    I've never ran into the issue you say you're having though, I don't have to use potions much at all and especially not mana potions. I wasn't exagerating when I said I didn't drink a single mana pot from lvl 30 to 100, and I don't even remember drinking that much before 30(but it was a while ago, I picked up the char again like a month after reaching 30). On top of that, you loot a fair amount of mana potions anyway, so as long as you don't have to buy them, I think it's fine if you have to use a few every now and then.

    Finally, there's a factor to consider about increasing Fire Brand. Not only does it not add that much damage in the lower level comparatively to normal skills, but I'd say 90% of the time you're not even getting Fire Brand procs in this build anyway. It's really a boss/champ only damage boost, as most of the time you kill everything in one Infernal Collapse, which might or might not apply burning if it doesn't kill the mobs outright, but that's still irrelevant since the second one will definitely kill everything but bosses/champs, Fire Brand or not. Fire Brand is a decent way to increase your sustained DPS, but your sustained DPS only matters on champions and bosses because everything else dies literally in one or two casts, regardless of burning status and firebrand levels.
  • Oh thinking about it though, I did use Death's Bounty a lot in this build so it might have hidden the problem. Still Fire builds charge very quickly so it shouldn't be much of an issue even if you don't take it.
  • Just wondering, how do i cap vitality for block% ? i mean, enchanting is so random so how do you get just +vitality on your stuff to max out block% ? i gambled the shield that has 30% block and an extra 15% block, but im still onjly at 68% block% cause i cant get the enchanter to enchant Vitality and it costs a lot X_x

    And was wondering, Gems, what where and how do i farm gems that i need? Is there an increased chance to find those kind of items in NG and after?
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    Miothan wrote:
    Just wondering, how do i cap vitality for block% ? i mean, enchanting is so random so how do you get just +vitality on your stuff to max out block% ? i gambled the shield that has 30% block and an extra 15% block, but im still onjly at 68% block% cause i cant get the enchanter to enchant Vitality and it costs a lot X_x

    And was wondering, Gems, what where and how do i farm gems that i need? Is there an increased chance to find those kind of items in NG and after?
    It does cost a lot. That's the thing I guess, it's kinda random how you get all that stuff. The trick is to get the powerful enchantment for the first one, that will certainly boost up your stat by a LOT.
    You can also get blocking VI spell to increase your block chance.

    The drop rate of the gems for NG, NG+, and so on is the same. The only difference between NG is the level of the mobs, but you can still access lower/higher level of mobs through mapworks.
    Skulls usually drop from chests that you find at random places(not the boss one).
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • xylonez wrote:
    Miothan wrote:
    Just wondering, how do i cap vitality for block% ? i mean, enchanting is so random so how do you get just +vitality on your stuff to max out block% ? i gambled the shield that has 30% block and an extra 15% block, but im still onjly at 68% block% cause i cant get the enchanter to enchant Vitality and it costs a lot X_x

    And was wondering, Gems, what where and how do i farm gems that i need? Is there an increased chance to find those kind of items in NG and after?
    It does cost a lot. That's the thing I guess, it's kinda random how you get all that stuff. The trick is to get the powerful enchantment for the first one, that will certainly boost up your stat by a LOT.
    You can also get blocking VI spell to increase your block chance.

    The drop rate of the gems for NG, NG+, and so on is the same. The only difference between NG is the level of the mobs, but you can still access lower/higher level of mobs through mapworks.
    Skulls usually drop from chests that you find at random places(not the boss one).

    Powerfull Enchantment? hmm? should i use some other Enchanter? i have been using the one at the Mapworks to try and get Vitality on my stuff O_o

    Im using Block VI atm :D (awesome stuff hehe) what is an ideall balance of stats for DR% and +Health? im currently at 5700 hp and about 30% DR. And can Legendary weapon and shield be gambled or only drops from LvL 100+ monsters?
  • I use the block spell yeah, but I'm not block capped with my current shield, only like 72% or so. Got a bunch of vit enchants, but not really looking for them, I just enchanted whatever I had and rerolled str on first or 2nd enchant because str doesn't do a whole lot in this build. With a parma you shouldn't have an issue capping it even without the block spell. With DR% though not being completely block capped is still fine, I mean 50% is pretty much enough and was before they raised the cap so you shouldn't put too much effort into getting the last 5% until you have nothing else to work on.

    And for powerful enchant he means when you enchant, you can get variable values, including a crit(has a blue light effect thing) which gives like twice the amount of stat for one enchant. Since the first enchant is the cheapest, it's nice to keep trying it until you get a solid one. Also enchants are based on the level of the item, so the higher level you are and items you use and the better stats you'll get from your enchants.
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    Miothan wrote:
    Powerfull Enchantment? hmm? should i use some other Enchanter? i have been using the one at the Mapworks to try and get Vitality on my stuff O_o

    Im using Block VI atm :D (awesome stuff hehe) what is an ideall balance of stats for DR% and +Health? im currently at 5700 hp and about 30% DR. And can Legendary weapon and shield be gambled or only drops from LvL 100+ monsters?
    Don't use the one at the towns, they ****. Use the attribute enchanter that you find randomly at dungeons. It's easier to find socketer/attribute enchanter, if you have modded dungeons like tartarus.
    The ideal balance would be +75% DR and about 8k-ish HP for end-game dungeons. If you were aiming for tartarus extreme, then you should at least have about 10k-15k HP with 75% DR in ELITE.
    Those requirements are the ideal one, but not necessary or mandatory.
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • xylonez wrote:
    Miothan wrote:
    Powerfull Enchantment? hmm? should i use some other Enchanter? i have been using the one at the Mapworks to try and get Vitality on my stuff O_o

    Im using Block VI atm :D (awesome stuff hehe) what is an ideall balance of stats for DR% and +Health? im currently at 5700 hp and about 30% DR. And can Legendary weapon and shield be gambled or only drops from LvL 100+ monsters?
    Don't use the one at the towns, they ****. Use the attribute enchanter that you find randomly at dungeons. It's easier to find socketer/attribute enchanter, if you have modded dungeons like tartarus.
    The ideal balance would be +75% DR and about 8k-ish HP for end-game dungeons. If you were aiming for tartarus extreme, then you should at least have about 10k-15k HP with 75% DR in ELITE.
    Those requirements are the ideal one, but not necessary or mandatory.

    Ok, how do i get 75% DR? what items should i aim for etc?

    Oh and, where is a good place to farm for the gems i might need? been looking for information about where to get gems but the only thing i have found so far, is that i should aim for chests since they dont seem to drop from mobs.
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    Miothan wrote:
    Ok, how do i get 75% DR? what items should i aim for etc?
    I think PyrosEien has explained it before. Ice squall and trancendent mantle for the items that give you +5% DR each.
    There's also gloomcircle(lv 63) and ghostfang(lv52) rings that give you 5% DR each. I personally don't use them, because I want to get the +15% cast speed bonus from trancendent set.
    Get skulls to reach the cap obviously. Eye of Grell and Skull of Limoany give you 3% and 5% DR respectively.
    There's also Immolation Aura that I use to get the 15% DR from that skill. I don't like the short dur so I modded the duration myself. :lol:

    Basically, all of that stuff that you asked have been explained in the first post of this thread.
    Sorry Pyros, if it seems that I'm hijacking your thread.
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • You can find Rielchu and similar gems in everything past lvl like 75 or so, not sure when it starts, but you find them in lvl 120 maps anyway. Similar with gambler stuff, you can find lvl 75gear in the NG++++ Gambler, there seems to be a fairly low minimum level req on this stuff and up to the end. Only Limoany is annoying because you have to farm lower level maps.

    As for how to get 75%, I actually linked some of the items in my post, there's a few more, for example you could maybe get lucky and get a legendary shield like mine(has 5%) or a legendary wand(the earth dies sreaming has 5%). You also get 15% from Immo aura as I pointed out in the guide. Reaching 75% is pretty tough on the farming though, so you can compensate by getting health instead. For example 50% DR and 15-18k health should be good enough in most cases. You'll still die every now and then when you don't avoid a hit AND it crits and it's on a high damage ability, but that's gonna be a death every now and then so that's still fine imo.

    And xylonez it's fine the discussion is helpful anyway, even though I feel I've had this discussion in every class forums already ^^.
  • xylonez wrote:
    Miothan wrote:
    Ok, how do i get 75% DR? what items should i aim for etc?
    I think PyrosEien has explained it before. Ice squall and trancendent mantle for the items that give you +5% DR each.
    There's also gloomcircle(lv 63) and ghostfang(lv52) rings that give you 5% DR each. I personally don't use them, because I want to get the +15% cast speed bonus from trancendent set.
    Get skulls to reach the cap obviously. Eye of Grell and Skull of Limoany give you 3% and 5% DR respectively.
    There's also Immolation Aura that I use to get the 15% DR from that skill. I don't like the short dur so I modded the duration myself. :lol:

    Basically, all of that stuff that you asked have been explained in the first post of this thread.
    Sorry Pyros, if it seems that I'm hijacking your thread.

    Sorry for being to subtle about it, i wanted to know what items are BiS for this build together with the gem setup for those items, i have had a look at the armory and also looked at the generall forum but since i lack the knowledge about gems and enchants i dont know what items would be the so-called BiS.

    I have used the search function ofcourse to search for gem information and enchanting information on the forum, but for gems i didnt find anything particulary usefull, perhaps my searchwords were lacking? anyway, would be gratefull if anyone could post the information i seek on the subject. And its actually OT since its about BiS items for this build.
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    Miothan wrote:
    Sorry for being to subtle about it, i wanted to know what items are BiS for this build together with the gem setup for those items, i have had a look at the armory and also looked at the generall forum but since i lack the knowledge about gems and enchants i dont know what items would be the so-called BiS.

    I have used the search function ofcourse to search for gem information and enchanting information on the forum, but for gems i didnt find anything particulary usefull, perhaps my searchwords were lacking? anyway, would be gratefull if anyone could post the information i seek on the subject. And its actually OT since its about BiS items for this build.
    It all depends on what you are looking for in your build.
    My BiS is geared more towards frostmage, so it may be different at some parts.
    I find the asphyx set to be universally useful and in my BiS list for all of my builds.
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • On the BiS stuff, I kinda listed some of the items. The jewelry fire set is BiS until you can find really good blue rings(there's no good unique rings besides Alchemist NG+++ rings but these don't actually drop, you need to mod/console them). Transcendent Shoulders, Transcendent Belt, Ice Squall chest are probably your best bets for these slots. For legs to be honest there's like nothing good either, so blue legs with ~1k health are probably the best thing you can find, better with focus too. Helm and gloves the Asphyx set, once you have enough gems, would be the best for every class pretty much because they have 5sockets each, and the 3 additional sockets will be better than pretty much everything in the game. Finally for Boots I use High Wizard's Brogans, they have decent stats but blue boots with focus/health high values would again be better. In general blue gear with perfect stats will tend to be better than uniques but because they require perfect stats and are totally random, getting them isn't as easy as gambling uniques.

    For wand+shield, it's kind of a matter of taste here in my opinion. I use Galaxy Quest which is a great lvl 100wand but The Earth Dies Screaming is a good choice too(it's a legendary though so finding one is mostly luck). For the shield, I liked The Centerwing when leveling for the 15%cast speed, however I had The Untold Story which is a legendary shield with insane defensive stats, arguably the best shield in the game if you can get block capped with only the 15% it offers. Otherwise you could look at Parma's Coal Burner(35% block) which would free a spell slot most likely and make it very easy to get block capped. Might be other options too I didn't look into it too much since I had the legendary on my Outlander already.

    For gems, I kinda explained in the guide but not really into details. In general the gems you want on your armor are either Eye of Grell or Skull of Limoany to cap damage reduction % or get a good amount at least, then Skulls of Rielchu for health. Skulls of Wfuntir are a good alternative if you want more damage. In the lower level gear like the fire jewelry set, you want Grell or you could put some Eyes of Gunbrenn for damage(15%fire so 30focus worth of stat, worse than Wfuntir by a lot but fit into any low lvl gear). For your weapons gems I personally used Rembrand skulls, they give a very large amount of crit dmg which is great since I avoid str on enchants and they give 150str worth of crit dmg per gem. They increase your damage nicely and on everything especially endgame where your crit comes to a decent value from the dex enchants. Other potential choices would be Whorlbarb which is 10%crit but your crits aren't gonna hurt without str or crit dmg, Vellinque but this is only going to affect magma spear dmg and not that much since most of it comes from the dot and not really the direct dmg or Eyes of Alchemist(NG++ or higher versions) which give a very large stackable dot, which is good for magma spear DPS so boss DPS but does nothing otherwise.


    As for the question about my max dmg, logged in to check, it's 681k. That's with non optimal stats, I assume if I ever finish farming the character it'd reach 800-900k or so. That's from big infernal collapse crits with firestorm debuff most likely. A point blank Blazing Pillar does like twice that amount of damage per cast though.
  • These are still large numbers, and it seems that fire build outperforms ice and pb builds in single target damage or damage to small groups. The "max damage dealt" number shows damage done to a single target, not cumulative damage to a group, right? Then it should display it well.

    I believe that's how it works however I have no idea and it might count a single hit as a hit+firebrand procs rolled at the same time for example, which would add a bunch of damage. The thing to understand however is that IC has a cooldown and a delay so while it's big hits, it's not fast hits. Granted I think Fire damage is more than adequate at higher levels of gear, as everything pretty much melts even at lvl 120 and without having focused too much on offensive stats besides the 5focus per lvl(which I think is standard if you plan on endgame stats enchants and such). I don't know about it being better than frost or prismatic though, I haven't tested either at high level but frostwave is pretty brutal even at low levels and prismatic tends to be great at single target damage too due to fast cast and just high dmg potential from the 3brands and such.

    I think where Fire is "inferior" is it's more demanding on the player's attention, the skills require more aiming and you need to rotate all of them to maximize dot uptime and cooldowns and such, while PB or Frost tend to be very straightforward in comparison(frost is closer if you try to keep the icy bolts 20%dmg debuff and hailstorm debuff on but at least the icy bolt you can ignore most of the time and just keep hailstorm isn't too complicated). It performs probably about the same but requires more effort. Out of all the embermage spells though, I find Infernal Collapse to be the most satisfying in how it looks and how it performs.
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    Regarding Medallion of Miskaton and the Ring of the Five Legends from the inferno set, two such rings and the necklace give 120% bonus to fire damage. If I understand this correctly, on a full focus build with 500 base focus which is 250% elemental damage bonus this would increase the bonus from base focus to 550%. That's even without additional focus from gear and enchants. In my case, even if I equip it, I will only improve it from 150 to 330%. Is this correct?
    The bonus damage is additive not multiplicative. It doesn't have anything to do with your base focus or anything like that.
    500 focus with 120% bonus to fire damage means that your damage bonus will become +370% not +550%.
    880 focus and +120% bonus to fire damage means that your fire damage have +560%bonus damage(440%+120%).
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • Thank you for making it clear, it's not that much worth it then.

    Well you consider it this way. 35fire% on the rings is equal to 70focus. Means you need at least 70focus on the ring to do as much dmg. You could weight health too so for example 30focus and 500health could be considered better depending on your tastes. On top of that a high lvl rings would also accept higher level gems, however unless you have a very large amount of limoany, since you need to use grells in your gear anyway I find it to be a non issue since you just putt he grells in your lower lvl jewelry instead of other pieces. DR% rings could be better though with focus gems, however the DR% rings you can use as an Embermage are all too low to accept Wfuntir skulls. If you use a 5% DR ring like Ghostfang or Gloomcircle, you can only get 60focus worth of dmg in them I believe(Gunbrenn?), so you get 1% less DR and 10focus less worth of dmg.

    Also by replacing the rings, you lose the 15%cast speed set bonus. Now this can be evened out by the Trascendent Amulet, which gives 15%, however the neck also gives 50%fire or 100focus worth of stats. That means that you lose quite a bunch of dmg and while again you can use a focus gem in your transc amulet, you then lose on DR%. That's why overall unless you have a ton of limoany, the low lvl fire set is actually very well worth it and probably the best set until level 95 at least and even then you still need to drop a transc amulet(or gamble it but gambling lvl 100 item has been fairly hard for me, seems 95% of the gambling stuff is 90 or under).

    So overall while you might be able to get a slightly better set if you get some really good drops, I find it's an insane amount of work compared to just getting 6grells and 3 pieces of lvl 31 jewelry. I'd only consider it if I could find really good blue rings with focus+health or DR%+focus or something. Don't even know if those exist even though I did get a DR% blue amulet once.

    I guess it's a misused of the term BiS though, as BiS involves whatever is best even if it's stupidly annoying to farm. In this case the fire jewelry isn't BiS, it's just the most accessible good option.
  • @OP;

    Both Magma Spear and Magma Mace trigger Staff Mastery's debuff. With a fire build, it would seem that utilizing SM would be desirable. Perhaps there is a reason not to though?
  • armisarmis Posts: 489
    PyrosEien wrote:
    As for the question about my max dmg, logged in to check, it's 681k. That's with non optimal stats, I assume if I ever finish farming the character it'd reach 800-900k or so. That's from big infernal collapse crits with firestorm debuff most likely. A point blank Blazing Pillar does like twice that amount of damage per cast though.
    These are still large numbers, and it seems that fire build outperforms ice and pb builds in single target damage or damage to small groups. The "max damage dealt" number shows damage done to a single target, not cumulative damage to a group, right? Then it should display it well.
    I'm up to 2M damage with an Ice Prison on the town dummy, so not really. Could do better too, if I specced a bit differently (I invested heavily in crit chance and cast speed to increase damage over time instead of damage per hit).

    Not sure what the max damage is: I always assumed it displayed aggregate damage dealt to multiple targets, judging from all the confused people in general discussion reporting max damage numbers way over anything they've seen showing up on screen.
    Have a question about game mechanics? Start here.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Embermage skills.
    Wondering if you should pick Flame Hammer or Emberquake? This is for you.
  • Geministar wrote:
    @OP;

    Both Magma Spear and Magma Mace trigger Staff Mastery's debuff. With a fire build, it would seem that utilizing SM would be desirable. Perhaps there is a reason not to though?

    Well the fact you have to use a staff. It's worth putting a few points in and switching weapons if you want but it not very necessary and 75%block is very very useful against bosses which tend to be the only thing that can kill you anyway.

    The thing to understand about armor is armor is a flat value reduction. The fire build relies on very large hits(infernal collapse and blazing pillar to an extent) as well as dots(magma spear, firestorm, burn and possibly magma mace if you use that) which completely ignore armor anyway. As such, reducing armor isn't a huge deal unlike say if you were using smaller quick hits(like arcane beam/shock burst).

    I mean sure my IC loses like 4-5k dmg from armor in very endgame(at least that's what I saw when I checked once on a boss), but it's also hitting for like 100k anyway and crit for 300-400k regularily, so getting 5k more dmg by giving up 75% block is certainly not something that's necessary in any way.



    On the max dmg thing, I believe it combines dmg instances that happen at the same time if there's a few different sources. For example this happens very often with dots, like if you spam magma spear on a mob with fire brand procs, it tends to combine multiple stuff together a bit randomly. It however won't combine dmg on multiple targets like ever. So you need to do your dmg on one target, but it can be largely inflated if you have a bunch of dots+brand procs. Still I've seen many IC hit for 400+k that seemed "legit" and that was with fairly low dmg stats anyway. There's no question that IC is gonna get you the biggest numbers besides Ice Prison shenanigans.
  • KyttenKytten Posts: 17
    Thanks Pyros for the awesome Vid. I got my first fire mage(before I saw this post/vid) up to around 30’s on normal and it was a blast. But then seeing your vid I restarted her on Elite and am going through the levels.

    Is it alright if I ask some more gear related questions? I had a different toon at 28 and gambled up my fire rings and neck from act 2. At what levels/areas should I start gambling up the other pieces? Any tips/tricks you can add on leveling up fresh? I am not having a terribly difficult time but anything the experts know might make things that much easier. When should I start worrying about getting a shield/crit options. Very very late game so should I invest points early on? When should I start to focus on getting the DR socketables?



    Also, Is there anyone else starting fresh needing some help?

    I am currently level 14. I have the first half of Act 1 cleared. 1 death because I didn’t pop a potion. Arrogance earned me that death. Currently my build is:
    1 Point in magma spear
    1 Point in Fire Brand
    1 Point in Frozen Fate
    1 Point in Frost Phase

    I have been using a cannon through most of the level at around 53 points of damage. I just got a new one doing 66 points of dmg. I highly, Highly recommend it as with only 1 point in Magma spear you can spam it non-stop with minimal potions. The knockback and stun pretty much level EVERYTHING in the first half of act 1. I am currently distributing points a 4/1 Focus/Vit. To start getting some early health and more importantly getting my Block chance up for when I switch to a shield. Once my Vit hit 20(base). I switched to 4/1/ Focus/Dex to get my crit up to 10%.

    So far it’s been pretty easy. As the dmg all scales from your weapon dmg. Just keep your weapon up-to-date and you will plow through enemies with your knockback/stun. Focus ranged enemies first as they will do the “only” dmg to you. The melee ones you can perma-knockback and never have to worry about them. I got lucky and was able to get Heal Self 1 on my pet very early and she can stay in the fight pretty well. Use your Warsnout fish wisely and your pet can put down enemies almost as fast as you can.

    I am going to stick with 1 point in Magma spear for the time being as increasing the weapon %dmg (very little) doesn’t help as much as keeping the mana cost low.


    Anywho,

    Thanks again Pyros.
  • Well to find out when to gamble stuff, go to the armory, find the item, check the level(not the req level) and you can gamble it at that level +/- ~7, possibly more. Besides the fire set though there isn't all that much that's necessary before lvl 100 or so.

    Leveling is fairly straight forward to be honest, just spam magma spear, use blazing pillar whenever it feels like you need it and just keep doing that until 5pt in Death's Bounty and Infernal Collapse which is when you switch to that as your main damage.

    For the shield, I'd say as soon as you find one, there isn't really a reason to use anything else but wand+shield. You can use dual wands or staff if you prefer but the shield will save you every now and then even with low block% anyway. Crit you don't really need to work on it at all, at least I didn't, only crit I have is from the dex I got from stats enchants and like on some random items but didn't look for them.

    For DR%, it's up to you, you could spread it out over many levels or farm it all at once. You can do Grell farming starting like lvl 12 when you first kill him(Grell is the boss of the first dungeon in the first big zone you have to kill to free the first guardian). Doing that at the end of NG means you'll kill stuff a lot quicker and can frost phase a lot more to find the dungeon and stuff so matter of taste here. You can also farm Limoany at the end of NG/early NG+, you'll want to just run the lowest maps over and over. It's a lot of farming though and you don't absolutely need it even though it'll help a lot once you get to lvl 100+ content.

    Finally for Magma Spear, you should consider increasing it to 5. The increased range helps greatly I found and the mana cost increase isn't all that big in the first few points, you should be able to keep sustaining it without much of an issue.
  • I started a new fire mage recently, and I started out with a cannon as well (I don't remember who made that suggestion in this thread, but it was a genius stroke). However, I went ahead and got MS to level 5 as soon as I was able because the range increase to 24m made it so that I pretty much never got touched unless there was a boss fight. Getting a weapon with stun, knockback or interrupt makes for a great tool in the beginning, and you find yourself spamming MS all the time. I also took Magma Mace because I took Staff Mastery and MM triggers SM and actually is a decent boss killer in Act 1.
  • Oh, I do use the MS in the beginning, but when/if the boss gets close, the MM seems to cut through them quickly. I don't know why it's effective, but it is...faster than the MS certainly (in my experience).

    Also, I'm wondering why no Elemental Boon? I'm not a fan of the cooldown, but the combo buff/debuff is nice. Plus, I'm never adverse to more mana regen...was it just hard to fit it in the build?
  • Geministar wrote:
    Also, I'm wondering why no Elemental Boon? I'm not a fan of the cooldown, but the combo buff/debuff is nice. Plus, I'm never adverse to more mana regen...was it just hard to fit it in the build?

    Hmm I used to have a thing about the spell, but basically, the spell looks a lot better than it actually is. There's multiple issues, first is the obvious one, it only has 50%uptime, it's not too bad but still. The problem though lies in what you get. For all intent and purposes the tier bonuses are terrible besides tier3. Tier1 give slow/immob resistance but it never caps at 100% and this is mostly a useless stat when you have Frozen Phase anyway, or even just in general unless you're a melee. Tier2 gives a very very poor mana regen buff. Like it's literally unnoticeable, plus mana is not an issue past lvl 30ish as I pointed out before, I literally can't run out of mana unless I miss like 10spells in a row(as in they don't hit any target at all, which is fairly hard to do ^^). Tier3 has faster casting time on it so that's nice but minor.

    Then you have the actual bonuses of the spell. The problem is like all damage %, Elemental Boon is applied to your base damage, not your total damage. A 44% increase(I think it was) is like 88focus, it's not too bad but it's certainly not great. When you have +700-800% already, adding 44% isn't like "**** dmg!". You can also use a spell slot instead, which you have plenty of in this build anyway, to get 25%(granted they stack so you could get both). The damage increase isn't like super noticeable.

    That leaves one aspect of the spell, the defensive elemental resistance boost, which is really the best part of the spell. It doesn't boost physical DR% but boost everything else by large amount. The issue here lies in my itemization, if I already have 50-60% of elemental DR%, I can only get 25-15% more from the spell, any more is wasted due to the 75% cap. Worse if you are actually capped as this part of the spell doesn't do anything.

    So finally, while you could make room for it by dropping a few things like Death's Bounty 5points and Elemental Attunement 5points, there was simply no good reason to in my opinion, it didn't fit in my build and forced me to cast something else for a fairly minor gain. If you like it though go ahead and take it, I don't believe builds are a strict thing, they're guidelines to make something decent but you can customize them how you see fit, there's plenty of ways to build a char in this game and pretty much none of them is going to fail if you put enough effort into gearing them correctly to compensate for any shortcoming of the build.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.