Elite **** Berserker Needs Help!

MattamMattam Posts: 46
edited October 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
I've been looking at many threads/builds/opinions, and I figure I've done enough research to post my own specific thread about it...

I'm planning to go Fast Claw/Shield.

Stats:
Strength: ~180 base? Secondary stat.
Dex: 50 base, for when the 1st diminishing return cap starts. Will help with getting claw requirements, gear should fill the rest of the Dex requirements. Will help hit 75% dodge cap as well.
Focus: Base.
Vitality: ~300 base? Primary stat.

Skills:
Howl 15/15
Raze X/15, to preference. (Boss/Champion killing skill probably, if not Shadow Burst)
Battle Rage 15/15
Blood Hunger X/15, to preference.
Rampage X/15, to preference.
Ice Shield 11/15 (for 100% chance to reflect)
Shadow Burst 15/15
Battle Standard 15/15
Wolfpack 15/15
Frenzy Mastery 15/15
Shred Armor 15/15
Red Wolf X/15, to preference.

Total: ~120, if all X = 1.

Spell Skills:
Adventuring
Armor Expertise
Dervish
?

Pet Spell Skills:
Heal Self
Heal All
Summon Skeleton
Frost?

Playstyle:
Ideally I will only be fighting a few mobs at a time, isolating champions when necessary.
Cast Howl/Battle Standard/Battle Rage, situational Ice Shield, build charge until full and/or Shadow Burst everything down, rinse and repeat. Bosses can be purely Shadow Burst'ed if needed.

I've been testing this in elite non-****, haven't died yet and it's been working well enough.

How does this sound? Any advice?

Comments

• herionzherionz Posts: 127
    I'm more or less I'm building my Berserker as you and I also have an Embermage at level 40 in HCE.

If you want my advice, here it goes:

1) You can farm grell eyes to get from 25% to near 70% or more (I thinking around 85% is going to be needed for NGs) damage reduction from all sources. With my embermage that's what I have right now and it withstands damage really well in 4 man parties or above. Truth is that my ember doesn't get as many hits as a Berzerker should but I also know, from experience of playing the berserker that the armor you leech and the amount you heal, with 70% damage reduction and playing safe but relaxed, you are going to just breeze through the game.

2)Based on that 2 options came viable. Either you can dual-weild (I wouldn't since I'm more secure with a shield but it's a viable option) or/and you can take points from VIT since block caps at 50% and shields have around 10%-15% already. So pushing VIT would only give you 4hp per point and increase flat physical armor. But since %damage reductions are calculated before flat ones (that's what in-game states) don't bother on having over 50% extra physical armor. I would either move those extra points to STR and DEX to have more dodge, that would come in handy, and have better damage/crit damage that would help you farm and play in party better.

3)About skills, more or less fine but you would like to consider taking "lighting claw" since one of the biggest problems with Berserker claw is that it takes long to kill groups of enemies, even while jumping through them. "Lighting claw" and "Red Wolf" can help you with that, better the first one though since scales with your weaponDPs. But you could go with only 5 points in "lighting claw" and 1 in "Red wolf" since in party playing taking down other monsters is not your busing, so those skills are more for playing alone/pairs.

4)About rampage, same as before, if you are going to play alone then it will help you, but if you are thinking about party playing it' s kinda useless since last hits won't come probably from you so it shouldn't take effect.

5)Ice shield doesn't work like that. As far as I've known, Ice shield reflects always (any projectile type) but tier only changes the amount of damage reflected. That shouldn't mean that some damage bypasses and hits you, at least that's not how reflection works in gear (like shields, when they have a %chance of reflection back projectiles for X amount of their damage, you don't get damage only thing is that the reflected attack it's weaker). That being said I haven't tested but it's just a matter of trying it with 1 point and see if it works as with gear, if it's so, just take 1 point in it since increasing the points only increases the chances of getting charge (but not the amount you will get which is 10%).

General Advice for HC elite:
    5)Get a MF gear set while farming for grell eyes, that will help you farm other things in game (when possible update it with other MF gear from higher level bosses), and will also speed getting Grell eyes drop (have been testing this out and it's seems that works). But keep your sockets in armor for only grell eyes until you get gear sets with damage reductions in them, also get mana leech in your claw for easier spamming of shadow burst/howl.

Still I have to say I'm not as experience with berserker to be really useful to you, so if you find that something doesn't work as I think, let me know it please. That way I could apply it on my own Berserker :D.

Happy hunting!.
  • herionz wrote:
    I'm more or less I'm building my Berserker as you and I also have an Embermage at level 40 in HCE.

If you want my advice, here it goes:

1) You can farm grell eyes to get from 25% to near 70% or more (I thinking around 85% is going to be needed for NGs) damage reduction from all sources. With my embermage that's what I have right now and it withstands damage really well in 4 man parties or above. Truth is that my ember doesn't get as many hits as a Berzerker should but I also know, from experience of playing the berserker that the armor you leech and the amount you heal, with 70% damage reduction and playing safe but relaxed, you are going to just breeze through the game.

2)Based on that 2 options came viable. Either you can dual-weild (I wouldn't since I'm more secure with a shield but it's a viable option) or/and you can take points from VIT since block caps at 50% and shields have around 10%-15% already. So pushing VIT would only give you 4hp per point and increase flat physical armor. But since %damage reductions are calculated before flat ones (that's what in-game states) don't bother on having over 50% extra physical armor. I would either move those extra points to STR and DEX to have more dodge, that would come in handy, and have better damage/crit damage that would help you farm and play in party better.

3)About skills, more or less fine but you would like to consider taking "lighting claw" since one of the biggest problems with Berserker claw is that it takes long to kill groups of enemies, even while jumping through them. "Lighting claw" and "Red Wolf" can help you with that, better the first one though since scales with your weaponDPs. But you could go with only 5 points in "lighting claw" and 1 in "Red wolf" since in party playing taking down other monsters is not your busing, so those skills are more for playing alone/pairs.

4)About rampage, same as before, if you are going to play alone then it will help you, but if you are thinking about party playing it' s kinda useless since last hits won't come probably from you so it shouldn't take effect.

5)Ice shield doesn't work like that. As far as I've known, Ice shield reflects always (any projectile type) but tier only changes the amount of damage reflected. That shouldn't mean that some damage bypasses and hits you, at least that's not how reflection works in gear (like shields, when they have a %chance of reflection back projectiles for X amount of their damage, you don't get damage only thing is that the reflected attack it's weaker). That being said I haven't tested but it's just a matter of trying it with 1 point and see if it works as with gear, if it's so, just take 1 point in it since increasing the points only increases the chances of getting charge (but not the amount you will get which is 10%).

General Advice for HC elite:
    5)Get a MF gear set while farming for grell eyes, that will help you farm other things in game (when possible update it with other MF gear from higher level bosses), and will also speed getting Grell eyes drop (have been testing this out and it's seems that works). But keep your sockets in armor for only grell eyes until you get gear sets with damage reductions in them, also get mana leech in your claw for easier spamming of shadow burst/howl.

Still I have to say I'm not as experience with berserker to be really useful to you, so if you find that something doesn't work as I think, let me know it please. That way I could apply it on my own Berserker :D.

Happy hunting!.
    Hey herionz, thanks for the detailed response!

1) Heh didn't know those existed, did a bit more research, I can get 2% ones early and 5% ones later on. I guess I'll be farming Grell for a long time once I start this guy up!

2) I guess that does leave me with more points for STR/DEX but I'll need a high HP pool as well.

3) I'll be mostly playing alone, sometimes in pairs so I'll get 5 in Lightning Claw.

4) Mostly playing alone :)

5) Ah I misread the tooltip, that'll save me 10 points, thanks!

6) Not too sure about how to build a MF set at such a low level besides finding those level 1 Unique Socketables...
    edited October 2012
    Mattam wrote:
    Hey herionz, thanks for the detailed response!

1) Heh didn't know those existed, did a bit more research, I can get 2% ones early and 5% ones later on. I guess I'll be farming Grell for a long time once I start this guy up!

2) I guess that does leave me with more points for STR/DEX but I'll need a high HP pool as well.

3) I'll be mostly playing alone, sometimes in pairs so I'll get 5 in Lightning Claw.

4) Mostly playing alone :)

5) Ah I misread the tooltip, that'll save me 10 points, thanks!

6) Not too sure about how to build a MF set at such a low level besides finding those level 1 Unique Socketables...

1)Grell are 3% and drop from General Grell, the ones you are talking about are Mantircore (2%) and ~"Lymonai" (5%) but this last one is a random drop in NG+ so the best ones are Grell (also see point 6)

2)A big HP pool is something, but you can socket gems of +HP which are far better than spending points in VIT for extra life. (I.E 100 points in VIT give you +400, while in NGs you will find gems with +1000 hp on them. At least that's what other people playing there claim). So above 150-200 VIT there's just no point to justify it.

6) When farming Grell in speed runs (skip all monsters until you get to the door, takes around 3-4 minutes with my embermage + frost phase there) you will get uniques, some of them will have MF, those that you can use you keep them (Most of them have around 6-8%) You will also find enchanters doing those runs since you will reroll the map and some of those enchaters would be either socketers (to put up to 2 sockets on your gear) OR luck enchanters (which put +gold or +MF). Have enough money for those (over 200k) and you can get a +70 or more MF gear from socketing lucky dices and enchanting, that will half the time it takes to farm grell eyes (In theory) and also will give you the chance to get 2 uniques. Still for farming purposes, you will want to join 6-player parties since drops are better.

No problem and have fun :D.
  • MattamMattam Posts: 46
    Thanks!

Actually, I was right about Ice Shield :P
    Level 1 is 55% chance to reflect at 50% damage.
    Tier 1 bonus changes it to 75% damage.
    Tier 2 bonus changes it to 100% damage.
    Every point is 5% greater chance to reflect, so need 10 points!
    Mattam wrote:
    Thanks!

Actually, I was right about Ice Shield :P
    Level 1 is 55% chance to reflect at 50% damage.
    Tier 1 bonus changes it to 75% damage.
    Tier 2 bonus changes it to 100% damage.
    Every point is 5% greater chance to reflect, so need 10 points!

My bad then :D. Thanks for testing it, I'll change my build try to get 10 points in there then.
  • Isn't it just increase the amount of damage reflected while the reflect chance (55%) stays the same?