TL2 Beastiary Project

DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
edited March 31 in General Modding
Yep. I'm bored, so here we go, the beginning of something beautiful blood-spattered and tasty.

Feel free to submit your own stories/lore for the creatures inhabiting Torchlight, I'll link to them in this post. I'm writing these roughly in order of appearance, I can't play the game so I'll probably deviate often. I can play now so I'll try to make one or two entries a week.

Hopefully this will be useful for someone willing to implement a proper Beastiary into the game.

==============

Dark Fairies
Fearsome and vile, Dark Fairies have no respect for life in any form. They are conquerors, reavers, bringers of death to all races they encounter, supreme rulers of the world. This is, of course, in their own dimension where they tower over twice the height of the neighboring inhabitants and posses powers beyond the understanding of the other lowly creatures. Their only challenge is each other, the Faries war amongst themselves from time to time and the losers are cast out into the world of Man.

In the land of Vilderan they are little more than magical pests, though Wizards of even the lowest ranks often use them for entertainment. The wizards scatter golden chests with fantastic treasures throughout the land and force the Fairies to swallow the keys. This makes the Dark Faries prime targets for any mortal with half a brain and a handful of steel. The merry chases can be long, but in the end the Dark Faries' lives are always cut short.

darkfairy.jpg

Ratlin
Despite there never having been a precursory war between the Ratlin and the Humans (at least none recorded in known history), the Ratmen have an innate hatred of mankind, assaulting any human on sight with crude weapons and ravenous fangs. It's unknown why their hatred flows so deep for Humans specifically since almost every other race on this planet hunts them for food or extermination.

It's also unclear why there are no records of the Ratlin ever even existing before a few thousand years ago, then suddenly reports of marauding bands of the intruders began appearing everywhere.

Some historians believe that in the ancient past Mankind enslaved rats to conduct taboo experiments, both unspeakable and unimaginable. Eventually an experiment went awry and the captive rats mutated, transformed into the beasts we see today, and freed themselves from their oppressors. Within a few years their population exploded and became a nuisance we still can't fully contain today. It may explain why they invade Ember mines and take over the operations when they have no need for the precious ore. They rarely sell it, choosing to destroy it instead, an ultimate act of spite!

This is all speculation of course, none of which can be proven. And yet, there remains the mystery of the curious golden tags some Ratlin wear pierced through their ears, trinkets passed down from generations past, engraved with symbols disturbingly similar to numerical and organizational marks Humans use today.

ratlin.jpg

Skeletons
Butchers, Miners, Grand Magi, no station is too high that man or beast cannot be dragged down into the cursed soil by the clawing hands of their own folly.

Shackled by magicks stronger than the grip of Death itself, hordes of Skeletons rise from their graves to wander the Earth as if in aimless purgatory. They feel no pain and show no emotion other than a mirthless grin if in life they were fortunate enough to not have been beheaded. They know no purpose until aroused by the soft thudding of a living heart, rushing to meet it with cold rusty steel.

SKEL_CHAMP2_thumbnail.jpg

Dwarven Automata
An old saying muses pets begin to resemble their masters, in the case of the Dwarves it was they who resembled their creations. Hearts of iron, fists of steel, souls fueled and corrupted by Ember, glorious Ember! Giver of life, taker of even more, faultless in its purity, a priceless commodity of war! Such was the value of these undying servants to their Dwarven demi-gods, but the gods themselves could not last forever... or so it was believed.

Rising in waves of metal and flame, ancient automatons have returned to service as their decayed creators are reanimated, puppets of Ember energies beyond our comprehension. As this fusion of rust and flesh is reborn, the line between Dwarf and Machine is forever erased.

Goblin Hound
Decendants of the mythical Goblin Hound of Middlemoor, Phase Beasts roam the countryside with little to fear from other creatures, save for the bravest of humans on the hunt for adventure. Death releases from the beasts a portal to a pocket dimension similar to our own, but vastly different in its insidious nature. What lies beyond the seductive red glow of the portal differs with the changing landscape, but the ultimate destination is always the same; A rich prize of overflowing treasure chests, free for the taking! So as long as the adventurer can defeat the rabid army of fiends defending it!

No one knows what purpose the Phase Beasts truly serve, other than being targets for the bold, meat grinders for the weak, a tasty snack for those with an apppetite for such strange flesh. Some speculate they were amusement for a race far superior to any known, small diversions perhaps, in an even greater game the Gods only know.

Berserker Snippets
He said I was too brash, too quick to judge, that I wasn't fit to be King! And when I was done punching his eyes out the back of his skull... I knew my father had been right.

--Interview with Rambren the Berserker

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Tell Nicodemus I said hi.
    Tails. Can we work together on a mod? I seriously want to see these as journal entries in game. I'll even see about getting some folks in the guild to do voiceover work, maybe we can attach some audio files to the journal entries.
    ItfooQF.png
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    I have a crappy computer so I don't know how much help I'd be :geek:
  • rosarevenrosareven Posts: 155
    DarkTails wrote:
    I have a crappy computer so I don't know how much help I'd be :geek:
    I'm sure you only need to be able to do word processing. Information is key for a mod like that.

Looking forward to more entries! I haven't dabbled into Torchlight lore enough to submit my writing, but I'll come back when I have something.
    Once the mod tools come out, this is definitely something i'm going to try to add to my story mod. I could do it now, of course, but I want to use the official tools. No offense to anyone in the community but I don't want to take a chance that i'll do a ton of work only to have it break due to the official mod tools being integrated.

Ripping off the Diablo III bestiary thing. Basically, all you need to do is keep writing these.
    ItfooQF.png
  • PandoraPandora Posts: 336
    Zidders wrote:
    Ripping off the Diablo III bestiary thing. Basically, all you need to do is keep writing these.
    and wiki them, because awesome is awesome, and it'll be easier to search that way. (before game integration)
  • ArlianArlian Posts: 2,865
    Speaking of awesome! I luv ya tails! Thanks for doing this!
    Making a to-do list is on my to-do list.
  • JackalheadJackalhead Posts: 1,687
    This is awesome! Thank you for taking all this time to do it, Darky. Perhaps Runic could put this up on their website for an official bestiary.
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    Zidders wrote:
    Once the mod tools come out, this is definitely something i'm going to try to add to my story mod. I could do it now, of course, but I want to use the official tools. No offense to anyone in the community but I don't want to take a chance that i'll do a ton of work only to have it break due to the official mod tools being integrated.

hah we all know the risks... even if they say otherwise. But alas someone had to do it ;)
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Eeeehhh, okay, I'll see if I come up with something interesting this week lol
    DarkTails wrote:
    Eeeehhh, okay, I'll see if I come up with something interesting this week lol
    Tails, don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything. I guess we're just trying a little too hard to show our appreciation. If you do more of course we'll be more than happy to read it but don't feel you need to do it on our account. Do it because you think it's fun.
    ItfooQF.png
    Added new entry.

All new ones will go in the first post from now on for neatness' sake.
    Made something for the Dwarven Automatons:
    An old saying muses pets begin to resemble their masters, in the case of the Dwarves it was they who resembled their creations. Hearts of iron, fists of steel, souls fueled and corrupted by Ember, glorious Ember! Giver of life, taker of even more, faultless in its purity, a priceless commodity of war! Such was the value of these undying servants to their Dwarven demi-gods, but the gods themselves could not last forever... or so it was believed.

Rising in waves of metal and flame, ancient automatons have returned to service as their decayed creators are reanimated, puppets of Ember energies beyond our comprehension. As this fusion of rust and flesh is reborn, the line between Dwarf and Machine is forever erased.

Also, because I think it's funny: http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarven_Automata
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty good lore-tidbit there.
    DarkTails wrote:
    Also, because I think it's funny: http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarven_Automata
    bwah hahahaha
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
    xD

Here's one for Phase Beasts, kinda generic but it works. Bonus points if you know where The Goblin Hound of Middlemoor is mentioned in TL2:

http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Phase_Beast
    Decendants of the mythical Goblin Hound of Middlemoor, Phase Beasts roam the countryside with little to fear from other creatures, save for the bravest of humans on the hunt for adventure. Death releases from the beasts a portal to a pocket dimension similar to our own, but vastly different in its insidious nature. What lies beyond the seductive red glow of the portal differs with the changing landscape, but the ultimate destination is always the same; A rich prize of overflowing treasure chests, free for the taking! So as long as the adventurer can defeat the rabid army of fiends defending it!

No one knows what purpose the Phase Beasts truly serve, other than being targets for the bold, meat grinders for the weak, a tasty snack for those with an apppetite for such strange flesh. Some speculate they were amusement for a race far superior to any known, small diversions perhaps, in an even greater game the Gods only know.
    More non-sense added to the wiki xD

http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Berserker
    He said I was too brash, too quick to judge, that I wasn't fit to be King! And when I was done punching his eyes out the back of his skull... I knew my father had been right.

--Interview with Rambren the Berserker
    So, for anyone who was following, I'm not adding fun stuff to the Wiki anymore, someone is deleting all the stuff I put up. Had a few more things written up but won't bother posting it anymore, meh.
    Dude, if it's the official wiki, why would you contribute stuff you made up to it? The thread was getting a decent amount of views here, and you weren't getting told by anyone to stop posting fic here. Keep posting. If you don't want to take my word for it, i'm sure some of the other folks who have been enjoying it will agree.
    ItfooQF.png
    Dude, if it's the official wiki, why would you contribute stuff you made up to it?

For teh **** and teh giggles.
  • MiddlemoorMiddlemoor Posts: 261
    DarkTails wrote:
    xD

Here's one for Phase Beasts, kinda generic but it works. Bonus points if you know where The Goblin Hound of Middlemoor is mentioned in TL2:

http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Phase_Beast

Middlemoor, aye? Any chance someone saw me posting around 2012? Or is this just a mere coincidence?