[MOD] Increased monsters draw distance (1.20, NO REPACK)

skullderskullder Posts: 16
edited September 2013 in Mod Showcase
Hello,
Here's simple modification of GLOBALS.DAT file to eliminate monsters and NPCs fading.

Played few hours, didn't notice any side-effects or weird behaviour, so if you're annoyed by monsters appearing too late, give it a try.

Edit: I've tweaked values a bit. I did it by having NPC placed right in the screen's top right corner ("farthest" point in isometric view) and watching when he dissapears.
I managed to reduce active range by 15% without fading. I've read that some of you have aggro issues so this is the minimum distance I can set.

PAK file (no injections needed thanks to fgaaghf's great tool): http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/27177190/file.html

Comments

• Awesome. Now hopefully the monsters won't freeze anymore.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • Excellent, our first ACTUAL mod, and one I've been desperately wanting too. Thanks a ton for this.
  • TynraelTynrael Posts: 30
    Can anybody confirm that this allows you to attack enemies beyond the fringe that existed with the default settings? Often I have mobs fading in an out and even if I can see them on my Embermage I have to get closer before they take any damage.
  • Tynrael wrote:
    Can anybody confirm that this allows you to attack enemies beyond the fringe that existed with the default settings? Often I have mobs fading in an out and even if I can see them on my Embermage I have to get closer before they take any damage.

I believe Embermages have limited range on their spells. Can't confirm though.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • cienislawcienislaw Posts: 243
    most of range skills/attack have limited range <FLOAT>RANGE. but if you think that making all ranges bigger is good idea wait a bit and think about game balance.
  • TynraelTynrael Posts: 30
    Good point about the range, perhaps the distance prevents the damage regardless of the spell. I hadn't considered that since my flame spear effect persisted through the enemies or my hail storm cast at a distance was showing effects easily encompassing the enemies.
  • OminithOminith Posts: 71
    it has increased the distance i can attack with my embermage (PB) never had a problem with the range, just them fading out. though there are a couple wolves in act 1 they don't seem to 'engage' until you get close to them.

but this helps me out a lot, NG+++ is rough
  • As Cienislaw said, most skills have maximum "cast" range (just like normal attacks with bows, wands) and it has nothing to do with monsters visible range. I didn't want to mess with skills, just increase monsters active range so I can have 1 second more to plan ahead and eliminate annoying fade ins and outs.

On the other hand if there are skills that have higher range than default monsters visible range, obviously you can see those skills range increased to their full potential with this mod.

I can confirm that Outlander glaive now works better cause if monsters line up properly it can rebound to the edge of screen instead first 2 monsters only cause the rest faded out.
  • thank you!
  • any chance you could post a brief text description of each step we DO have to follow in order for this to work.
    im a little lost.
    i am versed on 7zip,extraction, and all, but the extraction tool is new to me.
  • LLeeLLee Posts: 131
    skullder,

does this affect the mobs' AI active range as well, or only the draw distance? I hope I'd be able to hit things in the expanded range without them standing still and taking it like a champ. Thanks!
  • GtBGtB Posts: 76
    It doesn't affect the AI range but because they are active they can spot you at their full potential, so yes expect some bolt flyings at you and some charging monsters coming out of nowhere, it adds tons of fun.
    It is an amazing mod, I guess the short drawdistance has been setup for multiplayer issues, I play solo and I was wondering how to increase this range from the first minutes of the game. Thank you so much for this mod.
  • LLeeLLee Posts: 131
    GtB wrote:
    It doesn't affect the AI range but because they are active they can spot you at their full potential...
    That is great to hear. I think I'll be modding this in when I get home.
  • GtB wrote:
    It doesn't affect the AI range but because they are active they can spot you at their full potential
    Exactly.

Updated first post with link to already packed version. Just copy files "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK" and "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK.MAN" to PAKS folder in your Torchlight 2 game directory.
  • How does this effect multiplayer? Does the game just use the globals.dat of the host, or does this "mod" make it incompatible?
  • yig1015yig1015 Posts: 55
    claysmith wrote:
    How does this effect multiplayer? Does the game just use the globals.dat of the host, or does this "mod" make it incompatible?
    This.

What happens when you join a game with someone who does not have this installed? Will it flag anything as suspicious or simply not let us connect?
  • I think whoever is hosting it would have the changes made. So if he's hosting, everyone will have the increased distance. But if someone else hosts and doesn't have the mod installed, original distance.

Assumption though. Don't know for sure.
  • yig1015yig1015 Posts: 55
    I think whoever is hosting it would have the changes made. So if he's hosting, everyone will have the increased distance. But if someone else hosts and doesn't have the mod installed, original distance.

Assumption though. Don't know for sure.
    Il have to wait until someone can test and confirm this. I play online with my girlfriend daily and would rather not cut out our options to also play random pub games from time to time. Getting her the mod would be no problem though if we both needed it.
  • Updated first post with link to already packed version. Just copy files "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK" and "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK.MAN" to PAKS folder in your Torchlight 2 game directory.

so just to be clear, not the PAKS sub dir?
  • nokturnal wrote:
    Updated first post with link to already packed version. Just copy files "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK" and "MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK.MAN" to PAKS folder in your Torchlight 2 game directory.

so not the PAKS sub dir?

It's the folder with the DATA.PAK is that you want to place MONSTERS_DRAW_DISTANCE.PAK/MAN files.
  • LoqueLoque Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    -
  • Loque wrote:
    nokturnal wrote:

so just to be clear, not the PAKS sub dir?
    to PAKS folder in your Torchlight 2 game directory

lol i earned that for reading too fast :D
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    so again, i play with 4 dif friends, if i have this and host a game can they join without it ? does it effect them?
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • PorshaPorsha Posts: 97
    I just pasted the files and will try it out now.

EDIT: Just tried this and it indeed works great. You can see enemies at the edge of the screen now.
  • One word: superb. Thanks a lot.
    ..:: KOSICIEL ::..
  • LoqueLoque Posts: 11
    Fun fact: using this mod I have ZERO performance issues, even with multiple mobs on the screen on 2 (or 3, I can't really say) different ground levels. This mod (fix) completely changes the way you play a ranged class, making it more convincing, accurate and fun.

My rig: 4gb ram + GeForce460GTX + Intel Core2Duo Quad @stock

Why this wasn't a default option for everyone...?
  • PorshaPorsha Posts: 97
    I'm a melee character and it's even a lot better for me now too. This needs to be shared with more people!
  • Yeah still waiting on that answer for multiplayer I see....anyone test it yet?
  • sylesyle Posts: 379
    yep im using this too for past 2 days
    no side effects and no fading monsters as well
    they appear right where they should
  • JayJay Posts: 161
    Torchlight multiplayer has no concept of host or client.

I'd expect either only the people with the mod to see a difference at best, desynchronization at worst.
    Just don't. All or nothing, guys. It's simple that way.