Camera Mod

AralanaAralana Posts: 7
edited March 2016 in Mod Showcase
Here is the camera mod I wrote for Torchlight 2. It also works with the first game. Source code included.
You need to put the files TL2Cam.exe, TL2Cam.dll and TL2Cam.ini in the same folder as Torchlight2.exe.

http://www.lost.org.uk/tl2cam.html

Oct 05, 2012:
New version.
Added a gui to change the settings and a reset camera button.

Comments

• Sweet, although it seems to reset every so often.

I know a lot of people want to change the perspective of their game.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • I think I know why it might reset but I couldn't get it to do it. I've uploaded a new one and changed the download link in my original post.
  • Awesome, now it works! Thanks.
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • Any screenshot for the supposed change in camera?
  • Yeah, could we get screenshots or at least a description? "A camera Mod I made" isn't telling us much.
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    start the cam program
    start TL2

once you're inside TL2 press and hold Shift and your Middle mouse button at the same time then move your mouse

that changes the camera angle

you can make the camera very low and behind you
    you can move the camera left and right

it's an interesting way to play and very cool mod
    (although I find it very difficult to play with it)
    I don't have a sig
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed any obvious missing portions of the world when using this, or do things look okay?
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • Can someone PLEASE make a short video of the mod ?
    Just wanna see how it looks .
  • FOEFOE Posts: 223
    Hello Aralana!

Awesome! :D

Works fine! Thank!

But ... A Reset-Button, to set view to standard would be fine.

//Edit

And maybe 2 Buttons to start the Launcher and/or TL2 from your program. ;)
    Servus, Erwin
    --
    Intel DP35DP, Intel QuadCore Q6600, 4096 MB DDR2, GeForce GTX260/216, FujSie L22W-8, Win7 Pro x64
    --
    » My Torchlight 1 Char's @ German Fansite Torchlight Source
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    FOE wrote:
    And maybe 2 Buttons to start the Launcher and/or TL2 from your program. ;)
    You could probably make a simple batch file to do that. Shouldn't be too hard.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • Very nice for a start haven't tested much areas but like the view so far. Kinda like the first torch cam with tl1 but this let's you have almost a full top down view as well.

So far I haven't noticed any incomplete models yet buy I've ran mostly map runs today

Is it possible to change the camera control to a different button? Besides middle mouse button?
    Such as holding right click instead?
    Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
    Steam = mikerobinsond
  • FOEFOE Posts: 223
    Arkham wrote:
    You could probably make a simple batch file to do that. Shouldn't be too hard.
    Of course ... ;)
    Servus, Erwin
    --
    Intel DP35DP, Intel QuadCore Q6600, 4096 MB DDR2, GeForce GTX260/216, FujSie L22W-8, Win7 Pro x64
    --
    » My Torchlight 1 Char's @ German Fansite Torchlight Source
  • bootboot Posts: 280
    Any way to set permanent cameradistance without this exe?
    fb1q.png
  • You can change the button you need to hold by editing the ini file. As well as adjust the sensitivity.
    You can find a list of keycodes here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

So to have it as the right mouse buttons you would have "key=2" in the ini file.

I'm currently woking on a UI to change these settings.

Anyone have any thoughts on a default for the reset camera button?

As for missing bit of the map, i've noticed a few here and there but it's generally not too bad. When someone from Runic posted that they were "optomising" it by removing things you would never normally see I was kind of worried that the game would be unplayable. I played far too much Dungeon Siege to go back to a fixed camera.
  • Nice mod, thanks for making it.

I tried adding custom zoom, since the default zoom isn't very good. It works fine, but it isn't any better, because the player model starts fading out if you try to get any closer than normal zoom. I wonder how I could fix that.

As for the reset camera key, I usually use backspace or delete for them.
    Also if you are adding features, might I suggest free look, or at least something that allows moving the center of view away from the ground directly below the character. I tried adding something like that, but didn't have much luck.
  • All I have to say is...outstanding! thankyou very much for this (should help me to keep my **** chars alive a bit longer!)
  • NythainNythain Posts: 527
    Aralana wrote:
    My vote is for HOME with DELETE coming in a very very very close second.
    My TL2 Mods:
    No More Scrolls - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43701
    Change Enchanters - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=43659
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    Aralana wrote:

Alt F4
    I don't have a sig
  • ogbootogboot Posts: 230
    I poked around in the netherworld and everything seemed to render just fine, but i'm sure there may be some trouble spots.
    There is no cheating in Torchlight.
  • jazneojazneo Posts: 13
    Best to use Mediafire for upload files then using other uploads

now we just need a Target monster mod and a WASD mod lol
  • I stopped using Mediafire when they started requiring you to login to upload.
    I'm thinking of just posting a link to the copy on my personal website when I next update.
  • Why not just auto-login each visit?
  • Aralana wrote:
    You can change the button you need to hold by editing the ini file. As well as adjust the sensitivity.
    You can find a list of keycodes here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

So to have it as the right mouse buttons you would have "key=2" in the ini file.

I'm currently woking on a UI to change these settings.

As for missing bit of the map, i've noticed a few here and there but it's generally not too bad. When someone from Runic posted that they were "optomising" it by removing things you would never normally see I was kind of worried that the game would be unplayable. I played far too much Dungeon Siege to go back to a fixed camera.

thanks now i have it configured to my liking.

Most of the missing polygons are just building and walls from that side you will just see through the tile set or model
    So far most of the missing polygon sections seem to me in exterior zones tile sets I haven't seen anything missing at all in interiors at all Besides the obvious.

Most of the modeling gaps should be fillable over time. Some are more noticeable than others. But I consider it still playable until then. Keep up the good work :)

As for resetting the camera key I have no clue maybe the home key?
    Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
    Steam = mikerobinsond
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    Aralana wrote:
    I stopped using Mediafire when they started requiring you to login to upload.
    I'm thinking of just posting a link to the copy on my personal website when I next update.

Here is the Runic Fansite where you can upload/download mods with ease.
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/

This way you don't have to worry about sites like Mediafire.

In the TL1 Cam, I used left/right arrows keys for moving the camera left and right and the up/down arrows for up and down tilt. Is that possible with yours without the need of using the middle button?
  • ArionicArionic Posts: 110
    Holy **** this is sick. Is there any possiblity of making it WASD?
  • XialohXialoh Posts: 4
    So...any pics or anything of this?
  • Warhawk15Warhawk15 Posts: 34
    edited October 2012
    Since everyone else refuses to post pictures, I'll do it.
    I may get a video up, but this shows you what its like, aka its awesome!
    2012-10-08_00001.jpg
    2012-10-08_00003.jpg
    2012-10-08_00004.jpg

Also added a short youtube clip of it.
    http://youtu.be/1CGqMBRIJl4
  • kitetsukitetsu Posts: 256
    Anyone know how to add custom zoom? I can't figure it out...
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    Warhawk15 wrote:
    Since everyone else refuses to post pictures, I'll do it.
    I may get a video up, but this shows you what its like, aka its awesome!
    Btw does anyone know why this site cuts off part of the right side of the picture?
    Its not like that in the original photo or the one I uploaded, but when I paste it here it gets all messed up.
    First off, the forum only allows a certain image size. If it goes over it, part of it gets cut off. Second, the rules here state that any images posted should be in spoiler tags so that people don't have to scroll past huge pictures or look at images if they don't want to.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Well are there no attachments like every other forum?
    I don't see an option when posting a reply.
    That is extremely convenient since you just click the small image and it goes big on a different tab.
    That way you don't have to have big images, and you won't accidentally miss images from a tiny spoiler button.

And just so you know I'm not being a douche, those images are like 100kb each, probably since they are steam screenshots.