Necessity of Shield in Endgame (Berserker)

MattamMattam Posts: 46
edited October 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
In NG+(++++...) and Mapworks, how necessary is it to use a shield as opposed to dual-wielding? With Eyes of Grell I never needed to use a shield for all of Elite HC once I farmed them up from Grell.

Comments

  • jdean300jdean300 Posts: 211
    You shouldnt have any problems if stacking DR. But keep in mind that certain mobs can severely drop DR, such as those frost ettin guys with the frost breath in the second area of act 2. That damage cushion you've been running around with can turn to paper armor real quick. Same goes for using a shield though, not everything can be blocked, the biggest concern being magic, and thats where the biggest dangers are. You will have to stack more DR and damage mitigation to compensate for the shield, but youre not signing your own death warrant by dual wielding.
    HCE Characters
    BrutalEngine - 37/22 Cannoneer
    CreativeEngine - 76/100 Summon Engi NG++++ Beaten
    BurningCold - 65 Frost/PB Mage
    Vanguard - 23/30 Shotty Outlander
  • TieryalTieryal Posts: 420
    jdean300 wrote:
    You shouldnt have any problems if stacking DR. But keep in mind that certain mobs can severely drop DR

    You can completely avoid those mobs, or smartly pull them.
    jdean300 wrote:
    Same goes for using a shield though, not everything can be blocked, the biggest concern being magic

    I'm pretty sure you can block spells. The reason I say "pretty sure" is it's usually something that isn't a mechanic in a lot of games and I noticed it really early that you could, It has been over 40+ hours since I've actually checked to make sure it was a thing. I will make sure to check again when I get home just to confirm, since I take it for granted now. I don't want to spread mis-information.

    Mattam wrote:
    In NG+(++++...) and Mapworks, how necessary is it to use a shield as opposed to dual-wielding? With Eyes of Grell I never needed to use a shield for all of Elite HC once I farmed them up from Grell.

    Depends on what the reduce the maximum damage reduction to in upcoming patches. If you have 100% DR currently you can do whatever you want. Otherwise, I would say that you will 100% need shield or should have one, especially when playing HCE, you can still output so much damage with 1h/Shield that IMO it's just flat out better for safety.
    **** Elite 100 Beserker NG(4) Cleared, World First.
    http://twitch.tv/tieryal
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43170
Sign In or Register to comment.