Torchleech/ modmanager

AKARazorbackAKARazorback Posts: 36
edited October 2012 in General Modding
Hey all,

I was wondering, will there be something like Torchleech to help easy installing Torchlight 2 mods?

Maybe even by the same team? It was still one of the best things in modding Torchlight 1, making mod managing SUPER easy...

Comments

• Probably. If it was in TL1 it is more than likely going to be in TL2
    | How to extract/edit TL2 item files, V012 [With images] I am no longer active in the modding community. If you wish to take a project that I have made, besides the 'How to extract/edit TL2 item files', and change it as your own, you may do so.
  • SrikandiSrikandi Posts: 334
    TL2 is going to use Steam Workshop, isn't it?

That is already a pretty full-featured mod manager, including auto-updating and some other nice features.
  • DeadnoobDeadnoob Posts: 341
    Srikandi wrote:
    TL2 is going to use Steam Workshop, isn't it?

That is already a pretty full-featured mod manager, including auto-updating and some other nice features.

Pros and cons of the workshop were discussed a bit pre-beta. I believe there will be a mod manager released shortly after the tools come out from the folks over at RGF*, which could be helpful for those mod users who aren't playing the Steam version.

* - I could be misremembering horribly here, so take that with a grain of salt.
    If disgruntled Diablo 3 players come to Torchlight expecting a Diablo game, they're likely to be equally disappointed. If they come to Torchlight just looking for a good game, they may find themselves a home.
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭
    So, the guy who made Torchleech disappeared a long time ago, long before we had to change servers and it broke Torchleech's functionality. We then replaced it with HotSpot, which is directly integrated with RGF. The 1.0 version (which never made it out of beta) filled most of the void, and requires MUCH less maintenance than Torchleech (for which everything had to be added manually), but due to real life considerations the original programmer ran out of time to work on it.

Now here's the light at the end of the tunnel: We've been working on HotSpot 2.0 for months now, which will work for Torchlight 1 and 2 and once again will be integrated directly with RGF. It already works with Torchlight 1, and the public beta should be out any day now for the PC. Since HotSpot 2.0 was remade from scratch, we've been able to program it in a way so that it should be extremely easy for us to port to Mac OS, and even Linux. So yes, there will be a new mod manager, it will work on multiple platforms, and it's almost ready.
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭

Wow, years later and I'm resurrecting this thread. Here goes the main Copy-Paste!

I'm Webbstre, the Administrator and former owner of Runic Games Fansite. I'm going around trying to find places where people have linked to or mentioned our previous mod manager tools and update the conversations with info about our latest mod manager, ModDrop!

We had a lot of trouble in the past with the people who worked on Torchleech, HotSpot, and HotSpot 2.0 all leaving mid-project, which I feel like kept us from properly competing with Steam's Workshop. However, not everyone uses Steam, and our new mod manager is pretty awesome, so if you found this thread years later via Google I hope you don't think the community is dead and the mods unsupported.

The mods are all still over at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com, where they've always been (so I hope this doesn't look like spam for posting it). If you have any questions hit me up at webbstre@runicgamesfansite.com and I'll do my best to answer promptly!

Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!