Critical - Bane of ****

PhenologyPhenology Posts: 51
edited October 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
First things first, I have to thank Runic for such a truly amazing ARPG!!

Although HCE is much fairer than Dark Zealots in TL1 (ahhhh, the nightmare off the screen...), 2 of my 3 HC chars were struck by insane critical. (3rd one died in a phase portal...)

Lvl 23 Embermage - Act 1 final boss Crit for 2112 (RIP)
Lvl 40 Engineer - Act 2 final boss Crit for 3994 (RIP)

I didn't blame the Embermage being weak in defense, so I rolled a 2-H Engineer. Survived all the mess, 2.9K HP, full Forcefield, ~120 Vit, got the boss to 1/3 health. BOOM, floating text of 3994. Srsly?

Sometimes I wish there's an option to increase all monster damage by 50% but no critical. Calculated risk is always better than luck based risk...

Comments

• DrMonkeeDrMonkee Posts: 117
    Phenology wrote:
    First things first, I have to thank Runic for such a truly amazing ARPG!!

Although HCE is much fairer than Dark Zealots in TL1 (ahhhh, the nightmare off the screen...), 2 of my 3 HC chars were struck by insane critical. (3rd one died in a phase portal...)

Lvl 23 Embermage - Act 1 final boss Crit for 2112 (RIP)
    Lvl 40 Engineer - Act 2 final boss Crit for 3994 (RIP)

I didn't blame the Embermage being weak in defense, so I rolled a 2-H Engineer. Survived all the mess, 2.9K HP, full Forcefield, ~120 Vit, got the boss to 1/3 health. BOOM, floating text of 3994. Srsly?

Sometimes I wish there's an option to increase all monster damage by 50% but no critical. Calculated risk is always better than luck based risk...

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I think more eyes of grell are in order. I wouldn't step foot into any boss levels in Act 2 until you are rocking at least 70% all damage reduction. I just finished act 2 with my Outlander last night with 50% damage reduction, a 1 hand pistol and a shield (50% block rate), dodge at 60%, and I still struggled getting through the guardian fight.

Also, keep in mind some of these enemies/adds poison you, which drops your armor by 1/3 which leaves you wide open for a massive crit. That's the time to run for your life until it debuffs.

The engineer is a lucky class, there's a lot of gear that has +10% damage reduction built into it (I have a 1 handed mace, boots, and a shield that I picked up with my outlander during act 2). Plus the passives for the engineer help reduce damage/forcefield.

Hope this helps you moving forward, good luck on your next character =D
    "If it takes 2 steps back to take 1 step forward, may as well just turn around and take 3 steps forward"