Luminous Arena is totally imbalanced

Comments

• ogbootogboot Posts: 230
    Glass Cannon mage here. It's difficult but a good challenge, took a few tries. Don't change a thing.
    There is no cheating in Torchlight.
  • TenitTenit Posts: 33
    IxianMace wrote:
    The only part that really gave me trouble in the Luminous arena was the section with all the slicing blades. 500-800 damage per hit ignoring shields, with only a tiny gap in between to walk through leaving pretty much no margin for error. I can't imagine getting through there if there were enemies attacking as well.

Weave

The blades come down one side then the other go to the side without the blades, run, see blades coming, weave to other side repeat.
  • BaysinBaysin Posts: 11
    gaaaaaaah just hit this with my elite shootylander akimbo build. Totally totally devastating me. I'm going to keep trying it until I finally finish it, but... it is almost enough to put me off the game. I've got this whole build centered around keeping my distance, kiting, and picking guys off a few at a time, and now I have no choice but to be swamped by baddies right up in my junk. Frustrating as ****. In between failed attempts, I'm going back to finished dungeons to farm poison armor gear to try to help. Or else leveling up another character. Can only take so much humiliation before I need a break.
    I DO love the concept of the dungeon, but it's perfectly obvious to me that certain builds, such as mine, are going to be driven mad by this. If I don't hit the right buttons at exactly the right time, I'm dead. If I stand still for even a moment, I'm dead. If I click on a spot to run to, but it thinks I'm telling it to shoot at somebody instead, I'm dead. If I don't refresh repulsion hex before it wears off, I'm dead. Etc, etc, etc.
    Then I go pick up my cannoneer, and he's just plowing through stuff almost thoughtlessly.
    Beh.
    Anyway, just wanted to vent, and I'm glad I'm not the only one having their build decisions rubbed in their face by this.
  • My veteran embermage, who was a bit glass-cannonish but had had no problems before, died several times in this place. The difficulty level is a spike above what comes before *or even after,* and I think it should be toned down a bit.

Key for me was actually staying OUTSIDE the light. With reasonable health regen the damage ticks aren't bad. The damage outside the light was actually a lot worse than the damage from all of the monsters inside the light! Plus with frost phase I could port back into the light as soon as it was clear again.

For me, the circle of light was death. Leaving it was life. :)
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    I quite like luminous arena, so long as it's not a **** game. Managed to off my highest level elite hc char to date in luminous arena yesterday. I was not a happy camper.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • GlaivraGlaivra Posts: 43
    interesting thing i discovered with this place. if you die, the light continues moving while you are in the death screen. wait around 1 minute, then pay to be revived there. It spawns you at the light, not the entrance, hopefully skipping the blades and just putting you up against trash.

funny fact. did luminous on veteran NG+++ when the encounter was level 115 or something, super hard right? I had 1.3 million gold, so I was dreading the fact of losing 10% of it to use this trick. SOMEHOW one shotted it, couldn't believe it.
  • KoolichKoolich Posts: 138
    I personally think they made The Luminous Arena and The Arena of Slaughter for groups to play through or for characters with really cheap abilities (Berserker's dash that heals him for a percent of his HP) or the Engineer spamming Shield Bash and changing between using Force Field and an AoE-dmg-charge-based ability. I don't see how the Embermage and the Outlander can survive thing in an almost risk free manner. I was able to get through both events on Elite with 1 death.
  • HenroidHenroid Posts: 158
    You receive large amounts of damage applied every 0.5 seconds. Damage reduction MIGHT let you survive outside the light... but yeah. You go ahead and test that for me. :P
    I'm glad this thread got bumped so I can respond:

I ended up testing this out against my will; I was on my NG+ embermage, accidentally clicked an enemy to staff-swing at it, and ohgodithurts.
  • LactosoLactoso Posts: 31
    Even my girlfriend got through that with only one death on veteran... :roll:
  • tsueluetsuelue Posts: 411
    Baysin wrote:
    gaaaaaaah just hit this with my elite shootylander akimbo build. Totally totally devastating me. I'm going to keep trying it until I finally finish it, but... it is almost enough to put me off the game. I've got this whole build centered around keeping my distance, kiting, and picking guys off a few at a time, and now I have no choice but to be swamped by baddies right up in my junk. Frustrating as ****. In between failed attempts, I'm going back to finished dungeons to farm poison armor gear to try to help. Or else leveling up another character. Can only take so much humiliation before I need a break.
    I DO love the concept of the dungeon, but it's perfectly obvious to me that certain builds, such as mine, are going to be driven mad by this. If I don't hit the right buttons at exactly the right time, I'm dead. If I stand still for even a moment, I'm dead. If I click on a spot to run to, but it thinks I'm telling it to shoot at somebody instead, I'm dead. If I don't refresh repulsion hex before it wears off, I'm dead. Etc, etc, etc.
    Then I go pick up my cannoneer, and he's just plowing through stuff almost thoughtlessly.
    Beh.
    Anyway, just wanted to vent, and I'm glad I'm not the only one having their build decisions rubbed in their face by this.

So ...let me summarize this: Akimbo Outlander has the best defensive skills. Good to know. :lol:

Seriously though, I had a pretty hard time on Veteran with this build, can´t imagine how much fun it must be on Elite.
    Stone Pact (1st Tier) pretty much negates the damage outside the light, that is a huge plus, but otherwise it´s pretty much not so much fun, especially when my Engineer(s) indeed shrug and just "plow through" as you put it. :cry:
  • ArlianArlian Posts: 2,865
    Save a light, ride a forcefield.
    Making a to-do list is on my to-do list.
  • GlaivraGlaivra Posts: 43
    i'm guessing everyone missed my comment about how to skip this dungeon right? should i repeat it? inb4 thats the lame way to do it, but seriously its an annoying challenge made infinitely easier by spending some gold. also please remember when doing this same dungeon @ 115, any blades or daggers are pretty much insta gib, no mercy. Trust me, I tried 10 times (start to blade death) before figuring it out.
  • ScortylScortyl Posts: 65
    the concept is good but the traps do too much damage and in mapworks too (if you don't pay attention you get instadead)
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Learned something interesting yesterday with my engineer:
    If you knockback the monsters out of the light, THEY take the same damage you do.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • tsueluetsuelue Posts: 411
    Glaivra wrote:
    i'm guessing everyone missed my comment about how to skip this dungeon right? should i repeat it? inb4 thats the lame way to do it, but seriously its an annoying challenge made infinitely easier by spending some gold. also please remember when doing this same dungeon @ 115, any blades or daggers are pretty much insta gib, no mercy. Trust me, I tried 10 times (start to blade death) before figuring it out.

No, we didn´t miss it. But I like to farm the Arena, that doesn´t work if I die. Feel free to to do it your way.
    Plus, it´s a lame way to do it.

Sorry, couldn´t resist. :lol:
  • I LOVE the Luminous Arena because it heightens the intensity of the game just when you least expect it. Remember in Diablo I that you could possibly face King Leoric when you were only at Level 5? Yeah, you got killed but you got motivated and subsequently went medieval on his bony ****! :lol:

One of the reasons I love TL2 is because it WANTS to kill me; it hates me; it's a sadistic SOB of a game that tests the **** in me. People talk about Dark Souls being so nasty. TL2 might be "cuter" but it has as much loathing as Dark Souls :)

Bring it on Runic!!! ;)
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    Scortyl wrote:
    the concept is good but the traps do too much damage and in mapworks too (if you don't pay attention you get instadead)

Lol, that is the point, to pay attention, and that's why I love this dungeon, totally different than other dungeons.
  • There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The dungeon itself was designed to make you stop playing in an identical fashion that you're used to by this point. You're supposed to entertain the Djinni, not yourself. Beyond that the level is actually very easy. The first time you see it, even on Elite, is easy. You don't even have to kill anything if you don't want to, just survive. If you built glass canon without taking at least one defensive ability (Like Frost Phase or Shadow Burst) shame on you for being some sort of not very functional turret.

It was a nice break from the humdrum of just using the abilities you like to AoE everything down. Levels with different ideas to them should be used more often, along with puzzles and even more randomization.
  • feyithfeyith Posts: 853
    Are there any more dungeons like this in the game? If not, I has a sad.
  • JoystickMonkeyJoystickMonkey Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    feyith wrote:
    No, but I'm working on a phase beast room that's sort of the opposite of it in some ways.
    Runic Level Design
    Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
  • joesblgjoesblg Posts: 258
    feyith wrote:
    No, but I'm working on a phase beast room that's sort of the opposite of it in some ways.

Sounds promising... Do more room/challenge like this :D
    Eye mane is pokey because I get poked im ****...
  • Is this a static level or randomized? Only tried it once so far
  • Wyrm187 wrote:
    Is this a static level or randomized? Only tried it once so far

I've tried it multiple times on my Engineer and once on my Embermage, and every time the level was exactly the same, so I doubt it's randomized.
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    feyith wrote:

Soo we need to stay out of the light (or lights) that is moving ... nice :D . Love it. Also free stuff is coming, great.
  • feyith wrote:

So, whats the opposite of an extremely intense and difficult puzzle? Phase Beast Challenge: Open The Chest And Exit The Portal? :shock:

All kidding aside, I see this as great news, not that you guys are just fixing bugs for a released product, but also coming up with new things to add! Keep it up!
  • WestonWeston Posts: 1,004
    Ragnar119 wrote:
    The only bad thing about the area, is that it is the only one in the whole game.
    QFT
  • MarakMarak Posts: 69
    While I thought the Luminous area was really unique and challenging-without-being-frustrating, I can understand how certain builds/people would have some serious trouble with it, especially on Elite.

My RageQuit moment happened in that stupid arena in Act III, where you have to fight waves of Undeads... then waves of Moar Undeads, now the Floor Traps... then waves of Even Moar Undeads with Faster Floor Traps While a Mini-Boss Chases You Around... and if (when) you die from all that, you have to start all over with the waves of Undead and whatnot.

Luminous area? No prob. That damnable arena? Cost me 7 deaths and a cheapie mouse that didn't survive being hurled against the wall.
    I don't even know. I'm not an economist. I don't care about economies. I don't want to make an economic game. I just want to make something where you beat the heck out of monsters that are randomly generated and shiny things fall out.
    -- Travis Baldree
  • I play HC, and there is nothing I dread more than when I'm about to get to the Luminous Arena.

It does feel great once I get through it though. Heart pounds the whole way through. :lol:
  • GijianGijian Posts: 33
    feyith wrote:

So instead of "stay in the light", we'll get "avoid the death beam". :lol:
  • blujay42blujay42 Posts: 196
    tommybeast wrote:
    The "Luminous Arena" ("Djinni's task") is totally imbalanced. I've been trying to finish this **** level more than a dozen times already.
    Whoever made this level deserves a punch in a face and broken fingers on both hands.

Any advice on how to finish this **** level? Cause it is really annoying.

it's my favorite one :(