Question

RezielReziel Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
Ok so while playing HC Elite like many other insane people, every once in a while, I would just die. Die for no apparent reason with nothing around me (this is on internet btw). Now a lot of people say its lag and what not, and I'm inclined to agree with that up to a point. I playing a game and we went into the phase portal on the map where the guardian dungeon is and we had to close all the spider nests. At the time I was level 16 rockin some pretty decent equips and only taking like max 20-30 damage per hit. So im running around kiting them so that we could get the poison and I was just going around a bend where their was literally like 3 spiders relatively close (we where almost finished only had about 1 or 2 more spider nests to close and their wasnt many spiders left) but then I just randomly died. Out of no where my health just dropped from full to 0 AND I had just recently healed so I was confident that I couldnt die.

Then it occurred to me. Maybe some mobs can convey damage over time? Like how a weapon, if you hit a monster, it automatically gets the convey damage "x" amount over 5 seconds. Maybe mobs can do it too? I know usually if the mob is special, it normally has a sub script dying what it can do and it looks slightly different too but, maybe some mobs just have that ability or skill built into them?

I dunno, it was just a theory besides the obvious lag. OOHH you know what would be cool, especially for HC players. In the internet lobby, we should be able to sort by connection status. That would be epic. Like if their was 3 people in a 4 slotted game. Get the pings of the people and avg out the results to determine if connect-ability is good, so-so, or bad. I'm pretty sure that would reduce a lot of the lag instances because people wont connect to others if they have a bad connection due to lag.

Comments

• DoT debuffs should put a little icon on the bottom left that you can see. Apparently there also are some bugs where you just randomly die for no discernible reason as well (I say apparently because it's never happened to me personally).
  • KatrinKatrin Posts: 342
    The issue is desynch + damage spikes (esp. large amounts of DoTs).

If you have X enemies (let's say 7 tiny spiders) who all attack you at once (let's say 250 DoT / 5 seconds * 7 for 1750 damage total) which they tend to do if they ambush you, and you're out of synch, you'll die.

Why?

Because there's a desynch / lag between your local actions (spamming potion, running away, teleporting, using AoE) and the host. The host only sees <char = DoT 1750 damage> and by the time you synch up, well, that damage has been applied. In a giant fat spike of damage that instant ganks you.

Mobs that do this ~ mini spiders, spiders in PB challenge, ice bats, mini-bots and so on.

Two things tend to kill me in HC ~ large one hits (looking at trolls in particular, and multiple rocket launchers) and this ambush spam.
  • GamerFuGamerFu Posts: 28
    Reziel wrote:
    OOHH you know what would be cool, especially for HC players. In the internet lobby, we should be able to sort by connection status. That would be epic. Like if their was 3 people in a 4 slotted game. Get the pings of the people and avg out the results to determine if connect-ability is good, so-so, or bad.

chat lobby +1
    ping stats [game lobby & in-game] +1
    red, yellow, green color to display ping connection with bars +1
    Torchlight 2 **** Elite Player
    Join [HIPP] Hawaiian Islands Pacific Players