RIP

Just kidding sorry :P Never tried to play HC mode yet :mrgreen:
    A wise man once said: "Do not put this in your signature."

Visit and contribute to the Torchlight Wiki
  • NWANWA Posts: 8
    RIP, phase portal **** if u dont strong enough :/
  • cornered by Varkolyns

I lost my last character that way...

I only play HC-VH, phase portals are a nightmare, but only cowards avoid them.

Good luck with your next char!
  • enter portal, get back out(all monster data is now created, scaled to your current level), come back when you're 2-3 levels higher and clear it with ease.

That's of course the **** way out :)
  • enter portal, get back out(all monster data is now created, scaled to your current level), come back when you're 2-3 levels higher and clear it with ease.

In a phase level, there is no portal to go back. The only way out is the end of the level.
  • RtcRtc Posts: 6
    For your next attempt I suggest you obtain a Knockback wand on another toon and use the shared stash to get it over to your new character or get one on the character by itself. On top of that terror is a decent protection skill for phase portal entries.

Also, it may be cowardly to avoid them, but theres nothing wrong with admitting you do not have the tools to survive a phase portal. ESPECIALLY on VHHC. Only attempt them when you have sufficient skills/gear to survive things up to 4 levels higher. Just an opinion
    Vexer - 38 Alchemist ( Very Hard - **** )
    Almost 16 Hours Played to beat storyline. 30Min Fight on last boss.
    13000+ Creatures Killed.
    Arcane / Battle spec. Majorly Defensive.
  • i've only ran into one.. HC/Hard, it was pretty easy lol i only had to heal once, used Heal All mostly for my imps to keep them up. 6 imps. and like.. 10 skellys? :twisted: I'll try Very hard soon tho i bet i wont be so happy lol.
  • Atropos wrote:
    enter portal, get back out(all monster data is now created, scaled to your current level), come back when you're 2-3 levels higher and clear it with ease.

In a phase level, there is no portal to go back. The only way out is the end of the level.

can't you take the 'stairs back up' from where you entered?
  • Atropos wrote:
    enter portal, get back out(all monster data is now created, scaled to your current level), come back when you're 2-3 levels higher and clear it with ease.

can't you take the 'stairs back up' from where you entered?
    There are no stairs mister! ;) There's only the portal at the end, after you killed every mob in the dungeon. And yes, TP's don't work there. So it's kill or be killed, and if your playing HC, then that's literally true.
    Where I end and you begin
  • are the rules for dying different if you die in a phase portal or in vh/hc mode?
  • i wouldnt think so... sence it is **** lol, but i dunno never died in one yet so, but id think if you die, your dead so.
  • Why would the rules be different in a phase portal?

And the HC in vh/hc means that death is permanent :)
  • I guess he's just scared because there is no escaping Phase Portals once you get in. ;) But **** is ****, so all deaths _should_ be permanent, wherever they may take place.
    Where I end and you begin
  • DFuzzy1 wrote:
    And the HC in vh/hc means that death is permanent :)
    that's what i was wondering. the posts i've been seeing were hinting that you could lose your character. i wasn't sure what would cause that. i see now that adding the "****" versions of play mean that you lose your character forever if it dies.
  • On **** I like to think to think of Phase portals like the Thunder Dome. "Two men enter, One man leaves."
  • ArbaHCArbaHC Posts: 12
    In VHHC, at lvl 8 before sisters, with a "strong" Alchi, i have tried *again* after killed a phase beast...

--> jungle tiles !!! Pygmee said eh ! oh ! :D
    VHHC : Alchi lvl 20 still alive
  • I know this thread is really, really old but I just want to add, in case anyone else buys the game recently like I did...

Lvl 5 alch (LEVEL FIVE) enters phase portal on Very Hard and is placed in a small circle tile from the Black Palace (or whatever, the tileset before Ordrak) and here is what I see:

1 way out of this tiny little spot. It's a narrow breach in what other wise is a perfectly encased small circular area. To reach that way out, immediately in front and basically on top of my character are, in rough numbers:

10 of the green pygmy skeleton guys the Dark Zealots summon.
    4-8 of the rush-cat fighters (never notice the names)
    6+ of the flying mobs
    at least TWO Dark Zealots

I laugh as I die IMMEDIATELY. I have a pet and Brink and since I am NOT on HC yet (this was a "Lets pretend this is HC and see how high level I can get before I die), so I choose to start here on death. 30+ restarts/deaths later I am VICTORIOUS! and move from where I first spawned.

Now that is unbelievably sad. If I had been true HC I would have felt undeniably CHEATED the devs would even allow such a tile set spawn so small and so impossible with such a mass of mobs on VHHC. There is absolutely NO way any lvl 5 character could have survived that. 100% chance to LOSE is NOT a game to play.
    Mares eat oats and does eat oats but little ghouls eat Ivy.
  • I must say raginggamer that I whole heartedly agree with you. I recently started playing the demo (yesterday in fact got to level 4, yay!) and I'd never seen a phase portal before today, didn't even know what it was when I saw it (how the **** would I really?). Went through in VHHC with 'only' 7ish health potions, found very quickly that I'd need to kite everything forever just to get it to **** die, FOUND MY FIRST UNIQUE ITEM EVER THAT I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT required level 5 and was literally 10 times the damage of the best weapon i'd ever seen, tried to town portal and nothing happened. Died a few groups after my health pots ran out when the mobs that spawned were suddenly faster than I was (they were all slow moving zombies up to that point). Seriously, What. The. ****. I have never felt so cheated by a game in my life. Honestly I might not even buy it now, what the **** is the point of playing through something that would throw you into that situation with no warning or even a cursory explanation of what's happening or a hint that it's even possible to succeed?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    tetra,
    That would be a mistake.
    First, Phase Portals are very rare.
    Second, entering them is always a side-trip and totally voluntary.
    Third, there is nothing inside the Phase dungeons that you will not find elsewhere. The rewards are just in amore concetrated form (mainly high density of gold and Ember drops, but the occasional classy Unique); but the challenges as always in more concentrated form also.
    Fourth, my opinion is that ALL Phase dungeons are beatable. (Rage differs from me on this, but we are mainly just speaking of VHHC, in which case you only get one shot at the situation.) They are a sort of deadly one-time challenge puzzle, however.
    Fifth, all Phase dungeons are very short - the tension and adernalin rush does not go on forever.

SIXTH, AND MOST IMPORTANT: This is an AMAZINGLY FUN GAME, and Phase Portals are the smallest, least important part of the terrain. Don't miss out just because of them. Just avoid them until one day when you are feeling ballsy.

BTW - The Myterious Maps that Scholar Vasman sometimes gives as rewards are also known to the Runic staff as the "challenge maps". They, like Phase dungeons, also have the mlvl set at or one below your character level. They have a situational puzzle component, as well. They perhaps somewhat less dangerous than the Phase dungeons, but but you may want to avoid them with a VHHC character, untill you have seen what one or two of them are like.
    (There are other instances where mlvl is set according to clvl, too, but general there is more room to create a cleared safe zone, run away, etc. Note, however, that you can never Town Teleport out of a map or side-quest dungeon.)

dreamrider
  • The phase dungeon I was in was absolutely not beatable at my level, 4, in untwinked gear on VHHC. There's simply no way to stop skeletons that run at least as fast if not faster than you do without some kind of crowd control that I simply didn't have access to because I was untwinked and was only level 4. Brink was even there with me but he was completely useless because for some reason he spent the entire encounters running around in circles instead of attacking or tanking anything. Which isn't the problem really, the problem was I had no idea that was the case or even what a phase portal was before I entered it and found out. What's wrong with just having a tooltip pop up like it does with practically every other new thing like when your health goes 'low' for the first time or when you first open you pet inventory. That's why I'm playing with them on, after all, because I don't know what to expect in the game. I've played a lot of games like this including a fair amount of HC in diablo 2 which could be just as frustrating but never that early in the game.

General question, is there a time limit on phase portals? If one spawns can you go back later and walk through it or does it go away if you leave the screen or after a set amount of time?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Posts: 1,727
    The Phase portal will disappear when the level respawns. My impression is that it doesn't seem to disappear before then. I have often gone back to them, even after clearing another level or going briefly to town. Of course, if it is in a one-time side dungeon, there is no way to go back to it after you depart that one-time dungeon.

Respawns almost never happens in a Main Quest Line level unless you've either gone through several more levels, or gone to town AND run through a side dungeon, etc. In a side quest/map dungeon, which generally have exactly 2 levels, the upper level will respawn upon your return from the lower level about one time in seven. Be warned, though, going back upstairs in a quest dungeon can be dangerous in itself; if the level HAS respawned, there will tend to be a crowd around the stairs, ready to jump you up close. Not undefeatable if you are ready (and willing to pop up and down the stairs multiple times), but very chaotic and hurtful.

One way to lock Phase Portals into an otherwise emptied out level, if you can afford it in terms of other needs, is to cast a Town Teleport on the same level. I usually cast them quite nearby when I do this, as I don't know if it would make any difference if the Teleport Portal were on another map chunk of the dungeon. I don't think so, but why chance it. Of course, you can only do this for one Phase Portal, and Yes, it is possible to have two perfectly functional Phase Portals spring up on adjacent levels, and remain active until you can get back an clean them both out <grin>.

A tactic for Phase Portal busting (and any other kind of risky entry) is to wait until you are about to be promoted, then return to the PP, buff your pet, call any minions, buff yourself (I like Dervish), and enter. If you time it right, you will promote on the first kill, usually a minion kill. This allows you to pop the sidesheets, assign your points, take a breath and assess the situation. Since the mlvl of the PP critters is assigned based on the clvl you were when you entered (usually 1 level down from yours), this tactic also means you can gain a little extra power edge on the balance of the PP critters.