LIST OF OUTLANDER BUILDS, GUIDES & VIDs - Updated 8/25/2013

TheReaperKingTheReaperKing Posts: 222
edited September 2015 in Outlander Discussions
A list of outlander builds! Let me know if you find any I missed! I'm still trying to figure out how to best organize the builds since it seems most aren't being used in Elite so we need many more Elite builds!

**** Elite Builds List (looking for builds!)

ELITE BUILDS:
My Poison Outlander (with skills analysis) by Empyrean
Mad Genius Hybrid Build by Empyrean
Shooty Summoner Build by TommyReslin
Poison Outlander Build - Elite NG+ Updated by son12
THE BUILD- an Elite Player by yazsh (The viability of this build in Elite is being heavily debated)
HCE completed, now into NG+ by DrMonkee (full build not disclosed, but list of tips)
SCB Build ~ testing in HCE by Flair
Shotgun Surgery (Elite NG5, Tested) by Sweeter
Shadowshot Outlander: A "Sniper" Guide *Elite NG+++* by Cathulhu
[VIDEO+Guide]Chaos Theory: Endgame Shotgonne by Sweeter
[Elite Guide]Venomous dual gunslinger by Baron
[Elite Guide] The shadow maid (shotgonne build) by Baron
[Build] Min/Max Outlander by Packrat

BUILDS NOT SPECIFICALLY TESTED FOR ELITE:
"TRY AND FOCUS" V2 Build by Doubts
Strength Build by FronterNL
The Tanklander by Arlian
My Akimbo Pistol Build by Empyrean
Blaze of Glory - High Damage Dual Pistol Build by desperadonate

GUIDES:
Doing Things the Hard Way: Shooty Outlanders by Empyrean
Outlander Skill List Reference Document by Empyrean (Accurate as of Oct 5th 2012 patch)
[Guide] Outlander Skills by Kelvinwan

VIDEOS:
[VIDEO] Blinded: Elite Duncraig w/ Shotgun by Sweeter
Creator of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker
http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Build Lists For Elite I maintain
**** Elite
Engineer
Embermage
Outlander

Comments

• DrMonkeeDrMonkee Posts: 117
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=41338

My original post for building an outlander in HCE. I am currently level 65 and just finished Act 1 in NG+ with my original build.
    "If it takes 2 steps back to take 1 step forward, may as well just turn around and take 3 steps forward"
  • Thanks for the post! I updated the list and put you at the top since it is a **** build! Take care :)
    -mike
    EDIT - Reading through it some more it doesn't seem like an actual build but tips for **** elite. Care to share your build? Such as what skills you're taking, stat distribution, etc.

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • TommyReslinTommyReslin Posts: 278
    edited October 2012
    My build and Empyrean's builds are ALL elite tested and approved. Empyrean's builds specifically are used by hundreds of players. I'm not knocking you. It's good of you to put a list where it's accessible but..

I completed Elite with my build. All of Empyrean's builds were tested and designed specifically for elite. If you search his name you'll see that all of his advice is geared towards elite. As is mine.
    Check out the Shooty Summoner here!
  • TheReaperKingTheReaperKing Posts: 222
    edited October 2012
    Cool I can add them to that section. I read through the builds looking for mentions of being tested in elite and if they aren't in there I don't put them in elite. Thanks for the update and info :D Take care.
    -mike
    EDIT also as more builds come in I'll be creating sections for them so they are more organized :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Cool I can add them to that section. I read through the builds looking for mentions of being tested in elite and if they aren't in there I don't put them in elite. Thanks for the update and info :D Take care.
    -mike

No problem. Wasn't attacking you or anything. :P Here I got a few more from Empyrean that you missed.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=39174

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=38767

I'm still working on a melee summoner outlander build but can't manage to make one viable past New Game+
  • TheReaperKingTheReaperKing Posts: 222
    edited October 2012
    Yeah I didn't think you were attacking me :) I appreciate the updates because I'm looking for Outlander Elite builds myself but sometimes it is hard to tell if people don't specifically mention what difficulties they are testing the build in. I'll add those other two, thanks!! Take care :)
    -mike
    EDIT for one of those builds he specifically says he hasn't tested it for Elite yet and the other one didn't seem like an Elite one either. It'd help a lot if Build creators were more specific on what difficulties they were testing their builds :)

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Yeah I didn't think you were attacking me :) I appreciate the updates because I'm looking for Outlander Elite builds myself but sometimes it is hard to tell if people don't specifically mention what difficulties they are testing the build in. I'll add those other two, thanks!! Take care :)
    -mike

No problem. Just a heads up though "The Build" is very controversial and several people question the validity of the build. It makes some very glaring mistakes. If you go through that build thread you can see a lot of the discussion on it. Not saying to drop it from the list but it is questionable on it's elite validity. It's missing some very important skills for elite such as Rune Vault.
  • I was reading through that myself about how people accused it of a troll build but when the author responded with his reasoning I thought it made sense. I can definitely put a note next to it though :)

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • I was reading through that myself about how people accused it of a troll build but when the author responded with his reasoning I thought it made sense. I can definitely put a note next to it though :)

No problem. It was just a heads up. I wasn't going to knock you for including it. I'm glad this post exists to be quite honest. It's good that people can find a list of builds in one place. I'll definitely be linking this thread to new players who are having trouble locating outlander builds. Props for you putting this up.

By the way the Akimbo Pistol Build and the Shooty Outlander guide are also both elite tested and viable. Both those builds work in elite as well. As mentioned anything Empyrean does is on elite. :P
  • Thanks! I maintain the Engineer list too but Outlander has always been my favorite but I got into Engineer because my friends needed a tank so I figured I'd maintain both. I love builds and reading through them and people have such awesome insight but posts get lost in the mix so that's why I think it is important to have a nice list. Thank you so much for pointing out those other builds and for all your help and insight :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Thanks! I maintain the Engineer list too but Outlander has always been my favorite but I got into Engineer because my friends needed a tank so I figured I'd maintain both. I love builds and reading through them and people have such awesome insight but posts get lost in the mix so that's why I think it is important to have a nice list. Thank you so much for pointing out those other builds and for all your help and insight :D

No problem. I have.. quite a few outlanders. I don't really play any other class other than outlander and beserker (though I only have one Beserker.) So outlander is definitely my favorite.
  • I played Berserker one time and died almost immediately, I think like level 5 so yeah I realized it wasn't for me haha. Normally I like mages but I'm not really a fan of the Embermage's passives and I only like prismatic bolt. Maybe I need to give it another go but with the whole respec thing I'm a lot less inclined to try spells. So much fun though just tearing through waves with that Glaive haha. I don't think my Outlander even has much else skilled besides stone pact. I can't wait to try some of these Elite builds :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • I played Berserker one time and died almost immediately, I think like level 5 so yeah I realized it wasn't for me haha. Normally I like mages but I'm not really a fan of the Embermage's passives and I only like prismatic bolt. Maybe I need to give it another go but with the whole respec thing I'm a lot less inclined to try spells. So much fun though just tearing through waves with that Glaive haha. I don't think my Outlander even has much else skilled besides stone pact. I can't wait to try some of these Elite builds :D

Well, when you get a chance move the other builds from Empyrean up to the elite section. As I mentioned, they're really good for Strength Based Outlanders. Non Glaive users have it rough in elite but the builds are viable and probably the best builds out there for someone that focuses more on guns. Also yeah, Melee have it very rough on elite until later levels. So beserker isn't for everyone.
  • In one of the builds you mentioned he specifically said he hadn't tested it in Elite and the other one didn't seem like it was made for Elite either. If I'm wrong about either though I'd certainly be happy to move them up! When I get a few more builds I'm going to start breaking them into sections too so it will be more organized :)

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the post! I updated the list and put you at the top since it is a **** build! Take care :)
    -mike
    EDIT - Reading through it some more it doesn't seem like an actual build but tips for **** elite. Care to share your build? Such as what skills you're taking, stat distribution, etc.

I haven't thought of a name for the build >.<...Monkee build? =)

I'm focused on 1 pistol and shield as my weapon choices

Skills are glaive (10/15 pts). Considering 15/15 if I can get a high mana on hit weapon without socketing.
    Blade and Stone pact 10/15. Blade pack slows enemies as well as drops their armor significantly. Stone pack negates poison/ice debuffs on armor while you stand in it, as well as heals you/your pets significantly at higher levels.
    Repulsion Hex 15/15 points to combat any melee/teleporting enemies
    Share the Wealth 10/15. Planning on getting to 15/15. Big help with pets/minions and while grouped.
    Poison burst 10/15. This one is obvious =)
    Dodge mastery 12/15 Also obvious. Adjust points as needed to max out at 75%

From levels 2-20 I allocated roughly 3 pts vit/2 dex.
    After that I put points as needed for gear requirements
    When both vit and dex were at 100, I put points into focus/strength (3/2)
    Everything is around 100 now (with dex and vit 140 after enchants etc)
    Dodge is 73%, block is 48%, DR is 58% (farming Act 1 NG+ for 5% gems)
    I added poison damage to my pistol (~100 with enchants) and between all my gear I do around +120% poison damage to augment poison burst. Also planning on putting points into master of the elements eventually.

Last step will be to max out reflect damage as DPS after hitting DR cap with the remaining sockets, but I have to live that long to implement this.
    "If it takes 2 steps back to take 1 step forward, may as well just turn around and take 3 steps forward"
  • If you do turn it into a build thread then please make sure to mention what difficulties you've tried it in! Also explanations on why you picked the skills you did is always helpful :)

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
    I just edited above for some of the reasons I put certain skills together. My OP also should highlight the reasons I chose spells for pet, etc.
  • TommyReslinTommyReslin Posts: 278
    edited October 2012
    DrMonkee wrote:
    Thanks for the post! I updated the list and put you at the top since it is a **** build! Take care :)
    -mike

Skills are glaive (10/15 pts). Considering 15/15 if I can get a high mana on hit weapon without socketing.
    Blade and Stone pact 10/15. Blade pack slows enemies as well as drops their armor significantly. Stone pack negates poison/ice debuffs on armor while you stand in it, as well as heals you/your pets significantly at higher levels.
    Share the Wealth 10/15. Planning on getting to 15/15. Big help with pets/minions and while grouped.

I added poison damage to my pistol (~100 with enchants) and between all my gear I do around +120% poison damage to augment poison burst. Also planning on putting points into master of the elements eventually.

Last step will be to max out reflect damage as DPS after hitting DR cap with the remaining sockets, but I have to live that long to implement this.

I hope you know that Poison Burst doesn't work with Glaive Thrower. It's only triggered by weapon dps. If you're already aware of this disregard my statement.

As to the original poster..

The Akimbo one at the time of it being written wasn't tested in elite but was based off the other build which was. The Shooty Lander has the disclaimer that it does is because physical based Outlanders are inferior to Glaive users in elite. It's essentially playing the game at hard mode but it can be done. That being said, the Shooty Outlander build is elite viable as is the pistol build. Both have everything necessary to survive elite. The Shotgun setup is what I based my Summoner around early on (before the Shotgun nerf but it's still viable) but I added my own unique twist to the template. I can attest to it being very elite viable. Also as mentioned the thread has people discussing it's implications in elite.

As mentioned by Empyrean the "Shotgun" can be swapped out for a Pistol/Shield.
  • You should consider putting the build in its own thread so people can comment on it and so I can link it :)

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
    DrMonkee wrote:
    -mike

I hope you know that Poison Burst doesn't work with Glaive Thrower. It's only triggered by weapon dps. If you're already aware of this disregard my statement.

I am aware =D. It's a good point to bring up though. Glaive thrower's damage increases with weapon dps and also focus (which indirectly increases weapon dps). It's a good reason to put points into strength/focus later in game.

I started putting points into poison burst because of all the +% poison gear I recently came across. When it procs, it's massive damage.
  • PyrosEienPyrosEien Posts: 269
    DrMonkee wrote:
    I am aware =D. It's a good point to bring up though. Glaive thrower's damage increases with weapon dps and also focus (which indirectly increases weapon dps). It's a good reason to put points into strength/focus later in game.

I started putting points into poison burst because of all the +% poison gear I recently came across. When it procs, it's massive damage.

Glaive Throw doesn't scale on weapon dps, it doesn't scale on str. Your build makes very little sense because of that and the fact Glaive doesn't proc Poison Burst. Basically the only time you proc Poison Burst is when you're using normal attacks, which you shouldn't be doing much if you're using a glaive build. That and your pet killing stuff since for some reason that seems to trigger poison burst. It seems that you're basically doing a bad glaive build.
    PyrosEien wrote:
    DrMonkee wrote:

Glaive Throw doesn't scale on weapon dps, it doesn't scale on str. Your build makes very little sense because of that and the fact Glaive doesn't proc Poison Burst. Basically the only time you proc Poison Burst is when you're using normal attacks, which you shouldn't be doing much if you're using a glaive build. That and your pet killing stuff since for some reason that seems to trigger poison burst. It seems that you're basically doing a bad glaive build.

Glaive throw's damage will be influenced if you use a weapon with poison element, so in that sense it does scale on weapon dps.

Although Glaive doesn't proc poison burst, it's damage is influenced by poison... which also happens to lower armor. The same poison that is on my pet's items (which is why it's "for some reason" triggering poison burst) and the same poison that zombies and imps use in their attacks. As soon as a pet/minion kills an enemy and poison burst triggers (which on average for me is near constant as long as there's multiple enemies around), it makes glaive throw very efficient.

You're right that strength doesn't influence glaive throw, I meant to just leave it as focus in my post you quoted.

Other than that, I got myself a very well rounded glaive throw build. It's gotten me through 70 levels of HCE =)
  • PyrosEienPyrosEien Posts: 269
    DrMonkee wrote:
    PyrosEien wrote:
    DrMonkee wrote:

Glaive throw's damage will be influenced if you use a weapon with poison element, so in that sense it does scale on weapon dps.

Although Glaive doesn't proc poison burst, it's damage is influenced by poison... which also happens to lower armor. The same poison that is on my pet's items (which is why it's "for some reason" triggering poison burst) and the same poison that zombies and imps use in their attacks. As soon as a pet/minion kills an enemy and poison burst triggers (which on average for me is near constant as long as there's multiple enemies around), it makes glaive throw very efficient.

You're right that strength doesn't influence glaive throw, I meant to just leave it as focus in my post you quoted.

Other than that, I got myself a very well rounded glaive throw build. It's gotten me through 70 levels of HCE =)

I think you misunderstand the mechanics. A weapon doing poison damage or not has 0 influence on a skill that doesn't use weapon DPS, like Glaive. Your weapon could be 100%physical, 50%fire/50%ice or 100%poison and your glaives will do exactly the same dmg. The only stats that will influence your damage would be +poison damage %, +all damage % and focus(and castspeed etc). Adding a Venom Ember or having a weapon that does a large amount of innate poison doesn't do anything on Glaive.

Poison Burst procs regardless of wether you apply poison or not. It's called Poison Burst because it deals poison damage, not because it bursts out of poison. My pet procs poison burst at times even though it does no poison damage, which is why I said it was curious because it should only proc off direct attacks but apparently procs off the pet attacks too.

Poison Burst doesn't make your glaive throw more efficient UNLESS you happen to proc the actual poison debuff from the poison it deals, but Glaive due to the higher frequency would probably proc it much faster and often anyway. This is a very very small improvement based on a very very small chance to happen. Not quite a good investment.

As for being 70 on HCE, that doesn't make your build "well rounded", simply using one of the strongest skill in the game, which funily enough was nerfed by 25% and is still one of the strongest. With proper preparation, you could make anything work in HCE but maybe unarmed combat.
  • BTW build creators feel free to let me know if you update your guides an I'll post an update date next to your listing :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • xylonezxylonez Posts: 1,293
    DrMonkee wrote:

NO, it's not. Glaive throw's damage is doesn't based on your weapon damage. You can use barehanded for all I care and you still hits like a boss with glaive. Also the poison burst argument is very poor, where you could have use cursed daggers instead.
    "First player in the world that gets 133 skill points for some unknown reason"
  • Any more builds for me to post that I missed?

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • Lots O stickies in here!!

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander
  • emberember Posts: 259
    Bump for sticky!
  • TheReaperKing,
    Do you think it would makes sense to add the skill reference topic (link below) to the main post? It's more accurate than torchlight armory and comes in handy for evaluating/creating builds.
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=39104&p=349167&hilit=Skill#p349167
  • That post looks awesome, we'll just have to try to make note of what patch it is referring to since it could vastly change. Thanks for the heads up!! :D

**** Elite
    Engineer
    Embermage
    Outlander