Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec Support Thread

ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
edited January 2 in General Modding
To keep the main thread clean, I'm spinning off support issues and feature requests into this thread.

Please report bugs and make feature requests in this thread.

Known Issues:
  • Spell/tome respec isn't implemented yet. This feature is planned and will happen, but I'm not sure if it will be doable until GUTS is released. (The console might be enough.)
  • Level-based skill caps don't always match the game. This is because the skill caps for certain skills are buggy in the game. There's nothing I can do about this.

Acknowledged Feature Requests:

Rejected Feature Requests:

FYI: I will be away for the next 4-5 days with dubious possibility of internet access. Do not panic when you don't get responses from me right away. I will see to this thread when I return.
Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Since this isn't going to get stickied, wouldn't it be better if you pointed folks to the mod thread or a support thread on your own forum via a link in your sig? Also, good job on the program (and graphics) btw. I'm not trying to tell you 'YOU SHOULD NOT POST THIS' or anything like that, I honestly think you'd just be better off doing it that way, that's all.
    ItfooQF.png
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Zidders wrote:
    Since this isn't going to get stickied, wouldn't it be better if you pointed folks to the mod thread or a support thread on your own forum via a link in your sig? Also, good job on the program (and graphics) btw. I'm not trying to tell you 'YOU SHOULD NOT POST THIS' or anything like that, I honestly think you'd just be better off doing it that way, that's all.

Don't have a forum set up yet. Not planning on having enough bugs to warrant one ;)

In any event, this thread will fill the gap until such time as I get some more formal mechanism in place.
    Cool. Ok, so, first issue. It doesn't actually work for me. I tried giving myself 100k gold, then I tried respeccing and then giving my character a **** change just for **** and grins and every time I tried to change something it gave me a 'this program has stopped working' error.

Running win 7 pro 64 bit.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    Cool. Ok, so, first issue. It doesn't actually work for me. I tried giving myself 100k gold, then I tried respeccing and then giving my character a **** change just for **** and grins and every time I tried to change something it gave me a 'this program has stopped working' error.

Running win 7 pro 64 bit.

Hmmm... I developed it on a win7 pc, so that's kinda surprising to me.

For now, try the following:
    1. Run as admin
    2. Turn off UAC
    3. Maybe steam is interfering in some way. Try copy/pasting the file to a new directory, then manually select that copy of the save file.
    4. You did unpack the entire 7z, right? You're going to blow up on missing images if the image directory is missing.

I will work on further troubleshooting when I get back. (Using hotel internet now.)
    Hm. First, it picks the wrong save folder. Instead of my runic games/torchlight II/numbers/save folder, it looks for runic games/torchlight ii/save, causing me to have to point it in the right direction every time.

My game is fully updated yet i'm now getting a "This save file cannot be used because it is from an earlier version of Torchlight II. Update Torchlight II, load this character againm then try again" I'm assuming this is because I haven't loaded the character since the update, yet. It loads the other characters fine.

Running it as admin. As soon as I use the gold cheat, it crashes. Respeccing skill points crashes it and the respec doesn't stick.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    Hm. First, it picks the wrong save folder. Instead of my runic games/torchlight II/numbers/save folder, it looks for runic games/torchlight ii/save, causing me to have to point it in the right direction every time.

That sounds like a steam issue. I can probably correct for that in the next version.
    My game is fully updated yet i'm now getting a "This save file cannot be used because it is from an earlier version of Torchlight II. Update Torchlight II, load this character againm then try again" I'm assuming this is because I haven't loaded the character since the update, yet.

Yeah, that's it. Until you load a character into a game after a patch, TL2 doesn't re-write the save file in the current format. Just play the character in the game for 5 seconds and save and it will be able to open the file.
    Running it as admin. As soon as I use the gold cheat, it crashes. Respeccing skill points crashes it and the respec doesn't stick.

This is puzzling me. I can't work on it from here, but it's making me crazy. I'm suspecting either a steam issue or a windows being stupid issue.
    Are you getting an error message with the crash?
    Is the backup file being generated?
    Is a .tmp file showing up in your save file directory?
    Are you crashing on everything or just gold and respec?
  • Renaming or cloning a character with a name shorter or longer causes character corruption the location becomes ??? And causes crash.
    Solution name of equal length.

Some characters pets become listed as unknown when i load them and it's name becomes yyyyyyyyyy if changed character name gets changed to p soon after crash. Can't modify pet on these characters.

**** change says its message but does nothing so far.

Check update is defaulted true offline users the program goes non responsive and have to manually edit settings file to make work.
    Not hard but why does it freeze?

Editor does not remember your specified save folder every time defaults to my runic version when I had my steam saves selected.

Only crash I get is when I try changing some character pets that have the obviously incorrect name yyyyyyy.

Win7 prof 64bit running it with admin privileges
    Strange thing when I was at parents with my pc changes crashed the application.
    When I got home it didn't work till disabled updater it seems to run the same with or without admin privileges for me

Reset stats, skills & skills seems to work fine
    Renaming has the same limitation as hexing the name it's not bad :)

Thank you.
    Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
    Steam = mikerobinsond
  • I Cloned a character with a permanent pet morph and the newly cloned character had no pet, at all (at the load screen). Manually editing the clone to specify a pet did nothing. I could not start a single player game with the clone, it crashed the game (location ???).

Applying a respect to the character with the morphed pet* seems to have broken something with the pet inventory. It no longer compares equipped pet items with moused over items in the inventory. It doesn't show equipped items in a comparison window. * ANY character I've edited with this tool no longer compares with pet items, who knows what else its done to pets?

Think I'll go back to my saves prior to this release, pets really seem to wig it out.
  • Porkdish wrote:
    I Cloned a character with a permanent pet morph and the newly cloned character had no pet, at all (at the load screen). Manually editing the clone to specify a pet did nothing. I could not start a single player game with the clone, it crashed the game (location ???).

Applying a respect to the character with the morphed pet* seems to have broken something with the pet inventory. It no longer compares equipped pet items with moused over items in the inventory. It doesn't show equipped items in a comparison window. * ANY character I've edited with this tool no longer compares with pet items, who knows what else its done to pets?

Think I'll go back to my saves prior to this release, pets really seem to wig it out.
    clone or rename with same length aka Irumi to Izumi it's the only way so far won't corrupt from my testing.
    Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
    Steam = mikerobinsond
    myhideout6 wrote:
    Renaming or cloning a character with a name shorter or longer causes character corruption the location becomes ??? And causes crash.
    Solution name of equal length.

I just changed a name from medium to very short then to long with no issues. I did see this bug sometimes in the beta. I'm not sure what causes it, but I have a feeling that there's a second pointer somewhere that cares about name length. Back during the beta, I found that sometimes crashy characters would edit properly if the name change was the ONLY thing you did with them, then immediately loaded them into the game without any other fiddling.
    Some characters pets become listed as unknown when i load them and it's name becomes yyyyyyyyyy if changed character name gets changed to p soon after crash. Can't modify pet on these characters.

Send me a file that does that.
    **** change says its message but does nothing so far.

You need to actually load the character into the game.
    Check update is defaulted true offline users the program goes non responsive and have to manually edit settings file to make work.
    Not hard but why does it freeze?

It's supposed to have a 5sec timeout. If it's taking longer than that, it's a bug in the wxhttp library. I certainly can't fix that, so I'll have to work around it.
    Editor does not remember your specified save folder every time defaults to my runic version when I had my steam saves selected.

That's been reported. Next version will fix it.
    Win7 prof 64bit running it with admin privileges
    Strange thing when I was at parents with my pc changes crashed the application.
    When I got home it didn't work till disabled updater it seems to run the same with or without admin privileges for me

There seems to be some funky permissions issue going on for steam people. Unfortuately, I don't have the steam version, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot.
    Porkdish wrote:
    I Cloned a character with a permanent pet morph and the newly cloned character had no pet, at all (at the load screen)....
    Applying a respect to the character with the morphed pet* seems to have broken something with the pet inventory. It no longer compares equipped pet items with moused over items in the inventory. It doesn't show equipped items in a comparison window.

Yeah, don't mess with morphed pets. I guess I'll make it refuse to touch them, just to stop people from doing it.
    * ANY character I've edited with this tool no longer compares with pet items, who knows what else its done to pets?

I am not able to reproduce that.

In other news, I've finally been able to reproduce the "do something, then crash" bug. Hopefully That will give me a path towards fixing it.

And in BETTER news, I think I found the problem.
    Nice work, Cthon.
    ItfooQF.png
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    Zidders wrote:
    Nice work, Cthon.

most definitely!
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • I played with this great little app some more the change name issue I was having seems linked to saves upgraded from 1.9.5.1 I created a new steam character and the name change works as intended. Any character I upgraded to newer patch version runic or steam characters I edited had the name length issue.

Character data from release to now has changed?
    Could this be the source of the problem upgrade saves are not the same as a new save?
    Ty hope this is helpful.
    Steam = mikerobinsond
  • Great!

The best mod out...I love you man.
  • Can you upload the file to another server?
  • D2pinkD2pink Posts: 2
    I have a lv81 outlander and just completed new game plus (defeated the final boss but not yet move on to new game plus 2).

I use Rapid Respec to respec my skills, and on the cheat page I found my outlander was detected as **** player instead of Softcore (I never play ****). I thought it's a bug so I changed it back to Softcore and went in game without any problem.

However, when I went back to imperial camp to find something, I found the area like Rotted Path is only lv 36-37 and not only that, the whole world went back to lv 1-50... Right now I am talking to Felicia and she is asking if I would like to enter to "new game plus" instead of new game plus 2...

Does that mean because I changed from **** to Softcore then I have to play new game plus again?
    D2pink wrote:
    I have a lv81 outlander and just completed new game plus (defeated the final boss but not yet move on to new game plus 2).

I use Rapid Respec to respec my skills, and on the cheat page I found my outlander was detected as **** player instead of Softcore (I never play ****). I thought it's a bug so I changed it back to Softcore and went in game without any problem.

However, when I went back to imperial camp to find something, I found the area like Rotted Path is only lv 36-37 and not only that, the whole world went back to lv 1-50... Right now I am talking to Felicia and she is asking if I would like to enter to "new game plus" instead of new game plus 2...

Does that mean because I changed from **** to Softcore then I have to play new game plus again?

The ****/softcore change not working right on NG+ characters is a known issue that's "already fixed internally," as Runic would say.

So: Restore your character from backup. Redo the respec of your choice. Do not touch the ****/softcore button. Wait a couple days for the next version that fixes this bug.
  • D2pinkD2pink Posts: 2
    Chthon wrote:
    The ****/softcore change not working right on NG+ characters is a known issue that's "already fixed internally," as Runic would say.

So: Restore your character from backup. Redo the respec of your choice. Do not touch the ****/softcore button. Wait a couple days for the next version that fixes this bug.

Thanks for your reply :)

Good news is that since I am lv81 and when I choose to move on to next game, the game will select the tier of NG+ that best matches the character's level, which is NG++... If I am already in NG++ act1 then I think the only way is to restore my character from backup.
  • Masterik wrote:
    Can you upload the file to another server?

Although i am few days late on replying to this person, i just want to point out the verison1.01 is also can be found on mediafire, just like you that dont wish to go
    to CwC site and scroll all the way down to find the file to dl, this mediafire is just an upload of the v1.01, all questions and concerns will be directed to the maker of this quick tool. Note: This is for those lazy people that didn't feel like going to clockwork core to get the file.
    Like i said for the lazy people >.>
    TL2RRv1.01:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4bdu0oq2xygobxu
    Masterik wrote:
    Can you upload the file to another server?

Although i am few days late on replying to this person, i just want to point out the verison1.01 is also can be found on mediafire, just like you that dont wish to go
    to CwC site and scroll all the way down to find the file to dl, this mediafire is just an upload of the v1.01, all questions and concerns will be directed to the maker of this quick tool. Note: This is for those lazy people that didn't feel like going to clockwork core to get the file.
    Like i said for the lazy people >.>
    TL2RRv1.01:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4bdu0oq2xygobxu

I would rather that people do NOT use the mediafire link for the simple reason that I do not want to deal with the mess when someone slips a virus into the archive, uploads it to mediafire, and then has a good laugh when a bunch of people download it and infect their computers. And, of course, people will blame me. If you are going to get TL2RR from anywhere other than the official site, please, please, please check the MD5 before you unzip it. Otherwise there's no telling what you may have downloaded.
  • I'm new to using the mods and don't know my way around the files but I tried looking on the "help" section of the mod and it doesn't tell me where to change the directory for the save files for the steam version, just that it needs to be changed. Where do i change them to? I think I was given an cheated item or something cause I believe I've been flagged as cheating somehow and I've never used the console before.
  • PLEASE HELP!!!

i renamed my level 61 character and i cant load my game i get a (???) for location and the game crashes on me :(
    i have the NONE steam version.

i spent over a week on this character and to have it lost WOULD BE THE ****!

PLEASE HELP
  • got it fixed with the back up folder just need to make both a .SVB and .restore file for it to work :D
  • I apologize for bumping an old thread but I have been told by tech support that this mode was causing crashing when entering multiplayer. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled the game, started a new character and it still crashes on entering multilayer. Has anyone else had this issue with this mod?
    HellcatF6F wrote:
    I apologize for bumping an old thread but I have been told by tech support that this mode was causing crashing when entering multiplayer. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled the game, started a new character and it still crashes on entering multilayer. Has anyone else had this issue with this mod?

This isn't a mod; it's an editor. It doesn't break multiplayer. On the rare occasions it corrupts a save file, you won't even be able to load TL2 without deleting the file and restoring from backup. Since the ONLY thing TL2RR is modify existing .svb files, and you say you're crashing with a new character, TL2RR cannot possibly be causing the problem. You might have a mod breaking multiplayer, but this ain't it.

[edit: Let me rephrase my earlier comment: That does not sound like something Runic would say. Runic generally knows what they're talking about. They know the difference between a mod and an editor. I don't think they'd say something so dumb. So, I think you're full of ****. On the off chance that Runic really did say that, well, they're wrong. ]
  • Chthon wrote:
    HellcatF6F wrote:
    [edit: Let me rephrase my earlier comment: That does not sound like something Runic would say. Runic generally knows what they're talking about. They know the difference between a mod and an editor. I don't think they'd say something so dumb. So, I think you're full of ****. On the off chance that Runic really did say that, well, they're wrong. ]

What the heck is wrong with you? All I did was point out a possible problem. Want proof the staff told me your mod (as they call it) could be a problem? I have a screenshot. Want proof that it's not photoshopped? I can PM you the login to my email.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5jedzj.jpg
    HellcatF6F wrote:
    Chthon wrote:
    HellcatF6F wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you? All I did was point out a possible problem. Want proof the staff told me your mod (as they call it) could be a problem? I have a screenshot. Want proof that it's not photoshopped? I can PM you the login to my email.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5jedzj.jpg

Sorry, I was really bothered by what struck me as a chicken-little, scaremongering tone to your post and took you for someone out to mislead people and stir up trouble and baseless fear. It appears support is being stupid in this case, and you just believed them.

This is not a "possible problem." What you are describing is flat out impossible. If you created a new character and never edited it with TL2RR, TL2RR cannot be the cause of crashes that happen with that character. I would think that this should be pretty **** obvious, if not to you, then to Runic's support.

To make sure that no one is misled by support's error here:
    TL2RR is NOT a mod. It does NOT make modifications to your game client. The ONLY thing it does is edit .svb (character save) files. The very worst that can ever happen with TL2RR is that it corrupts a save file and you need to restore that character from the automatically created backup. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Now, to troubleshoot your problem:
    1. If you have any actual mods installed, try removing them to see if that fixes the problem.
    2. Perhaps your reinstall didn't get everything. Make completely sure your mods are gone: Uninstall. Manually nuke any leftover files in the install directory. Reinstall.
    3. If you've done that and you're still getting crashes on a fresh install of TL2 with a brand new character, then you definitely have a TL2 problem. So, you can go tell Mr. Rogers that I said he's dead wrong and he needs to troubleshoot your problem as a straight-up TL2 issue.

[Edit: I can understand how frustrating it is when things just don't f-ing work, and you don't know why they don't f-ing work, and you just want them to f-ing work already, dammit, and no one is giving you any f-ing support to fix the problem. I know how that feels. But I can't help you. All I can say is that I'm 110% sure that Mr. Rogers is wrong here. Crashes on a fresh install of TL2 with a brand new character are his problem to solve, not mine. Good luck.]
  • GroomzGroomz Posts: 41
    Hi,

Firts of all, kudos man, really great what you are doing here, respect for that.

I've downloaded TL2RR yesterday to respec my wife's berserker and i've encountered a small issue: loaded in like 6 or 8 toons with no problem whatsoever, and the last one i tried brought up an error message.
    I can't remember the exact phrasing there, but it sounded quite like this: "too huge pre-pet FF block, file cannot be parsed" - or something like that. Unfortunately the only character i wanted to modify was this one ofc, so if you have any suggestions how to work this around, or what could be the problem here - that'd be welcome!

Thank you for this tool, and keep up the great work!
    Groomz wrote:
    Hi,

Firts of all, kudos man, really great what you are doing here, respect for that.

I've downloaded TL2RR yesterday to respec my wife's berserker and i've encountered a small issue: loaded in like 6 or 8 toons with no problem whatsoever, and the last one i tried brought up an error message.
    I can't remember the exact phrasing there, but it sounded quite like this: "too huge pre-pet FF block, file cannot be parsed" - or something like that. Unfortunately the only character i wanted to modify was this one ofc, so if you have any suggestions how to work this around, or what could be the problem here - that'd be welcome!

Thank you for this tool, and keep up the great work!

Thanks for the report. Fortunately, DeadlyGee reported that bug too and sent me a file to look at. It's fixed in the next version.

Since the hurricane is keeping me home today, you might see the next version soon, assuming I can get it done before the storm takes out my power/internet.
  • Hi there, just want to chime in here to clarify a few things.

1 - We referred to Rapid Respec as a "character mod tool" as that is what it is, it is a tool that modifies your character saves. We did mean to imply that Rapid Respec is a "Game Mod". Chthon, you are correct that it is not a "Game Mod", but it is still a "character mod tool" because that is what it does.

2 - The reason why Joel mentioned Rapid Respec as a possible cause of these issues was because he saw several crashes of the Rapid Respec tool in the HellcatF6F's Windows Error Logs around the same time as the troubles the HellcatF6F was having.

3 - We are still looking at other options with HellcatF6F's crash as well, but Joel wanted to point out that there were several crashes related to Rapid Respec in the error logs as they seemed relevant to the issues at hand.

HellcatF6F - Like Chthon said, it is possible you have something still in place from the uninstall/re-install that is causing a problem. Have you tried making a backup of the "My Documents/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2" directory and then removing that directory in your uninstall/re-install?
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support