Legendary Items Overview [Bows]

DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
edited April 2013 in TL2 General Discussions
Allow me to preface this post with my congratulations to Runic on a game well done. There will most likely be some item bashing in here, but it's all for **** n' giggles and shouldn't be confused for serious griping. We can't all be perfect in everyone's eyes, all we can do is try our best.

There's no srsly purpose to this thread, these are simply thoughts on the Legendaries based entirely on their names and stats, how interesting they are, and how they could maybe be tweaked to fit their titles better. I'm sure given more time, many of the Uniques and Legendaries could have been "less bland", but what are you gonna do!

Feel free to offer your thoughts on any of them, eventually I might cover them all.

Legendary Wands
Legendary Greathammers
Legendary Pistols
Legendary Crossbows
Legendary Swords
Legendary Staves
Legendary Greatswords
Legendary Claws
Legendary Shotgonnes
Legendary Greataxes
Legendary Shields
Legendary Polearms
Legendary Maces
Legendary Cannons
Legendary Bows

===================

First up is the Legendary Wand Collection.

songtomorrow_zps20e4e63c.jpg

I'm as happy as a mole in a hole with the names given to the Legendaries and Uniques. They're hard not to like with titles like "Heart of the Ignivore" and "Antikythering" (which is probably a reference to the ancient Antikythera device found in Greece). Many of them are reminiscent of old action and horror movie names like "Magnum Force" and "Tomb of Ligeia".

What irks me like a spur in the eye is that the item's magical properties often don't do anything that may relate to its name. Of course, some titles are vague and it's understandable that they have seemingly random properties.

"A Song For Tomorrow" is one of the prettier item names and stands out, like a glistening mermaid in a sea full of testosterone-injected squid monsters. The soft name makes me feel like this was a missed opportunity to make a weapon that did something other than freeze and fry **** at a distance.

It could have been a party-oriented item that would allow you to teleport allies to a safe distance when they're about to die. Maybe it could be a healing wand with 100% heal charges to rescue your allies so they can live to fight (or sing, see wut i did thar?) another day.

Instead it's a generic wand that deals 4 types of damage for some reason and adds 20% damage just because. The knockback is nice though, smack them away and blast them again.

==================

blackglove_zpse12eab19.jpg

If you didn't immediately picture the "Smell the Glove" album cover then there's something wrong with you.

Here's a confusing name for a wand, but at least the stats have an electric theme... with a green dragon head model... with some poison randomly thrown in, feh. Chances to add spectacular effects to your attacks is what Legendary items should be all about, this one gives you a 1-in-4-hits chance to cast a skill that sounds like it would look awesome. If the Death Penalty has taught us anything it's that monsters dying in electric explosions is always entertaining.

"The Black Glove" does make some sense if you think of it as a black rubber glove to insulate the hero against the energy sparking out of the wand, exept that the wand itself is the glove, so it's... holding... itself? Whatever!

========================

asheart_zps5c63e4d2.jpg

Here's a nice vague title that can go in any direction. Who's heart is it meant to astonish? The player's by granting a powerful bonus or the monsters' by obliterating them mercilessly? A little of both in this case with those dual-wield-friendly stats.

Wands that do more than one or two kinds of elemental damage still feel weird to me, like they're just thrown together. This Legendary definitely needs more astonishing-ness, as is it suffers from the same problem as many other Legendaries, they seem like generic Uniques.

========================

4tri_zps835f5fc3.jpg

Trippy names are always welcome, the stats reflect the weirdness though. This wand has a small chance to cast Flee, but also a 100% chance to cast Fire Storm, which itself has a high chance to cast Flee. Why not just replace the 5% chance with something else?

I'm no mage player but 3.4/sec mana seems horribly UP (underpowered lol) for a Legendary.

Maybe I need to see Fire Storm in action to understand why this wand is called the "Four Sided Triangle"?

Maybe it's math humor? :lol:

======================

earthdying_zpsdceec603.jpg

Not coincidentally, the weapon with the best name in the game is also one of the most ruthless. It inflicts all 4 types of elemental damage at once, presumably also having a chance to inflict their respective status ailments. It amplifies all damage given and reduces all damage taken. The 33% chance to cast Chaotic Rift is game-breaking! Monsters are teleported and stunned 100% of the time they're hit and they have an even higher chance of getting a status ailment from all 4 elements!

Imagine being some poor monster, going on about his business of gathering honey for his hungry children, and then it seems as if SUDDENLY, THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING!

=======================

This is the kind of nonsense I write when I can't play any games lol. (no graphics card)

Anyway, that does it for this edition, enjoy! (or wretch in agony, I don't care!)

Comments

• TelalTelal Posts: 302
    Love the post, very entertaining lol.

I've found myself being addicted to the 'flavor text' on many items, and trying to figure out if there are any hidden meanings and/or pop-culture references etc :)

I love badgermask

badgermask_zps0e8230ee.jpg
  • EtonBEtonB Posts: 8
    Telal wrote:

I've found myself being addicted to the 'flavor text' on many items, and trying to figure out if there are any hidden meanings and/or pop-culture references etc :)

I love badgermask

badgermask_zps0e8230ee.jpg

Haha it's so awesome I used my first post to laugh at it!
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    Telal wrote:

Lol, remind me to nag about the lack of flavor text on Legendaries :lol:
    And now for Legendary Greathammers:

rulesgame.jpg

The Rules of the Game are in your hands, so technically, while you wield this wepaon, YOU ARE THE RULES! Or something. The rules of the game are actually written down on a piece of parchment and stuffed into this greathammer's head (it opens up like a Pokeball).

Stealing 18 mana per hit is alright, but people who use maces don't need no stinkin' mana! Well, they do to summon cute little spider bots and cast forcefields and shoot lightning bolts... Torchlight is one weird place to live!

The very slow attack speed and 90% interrupt combo is kinda lame, but I guess it's good against spell casters who like to spam attacks. The small chance to stun is pretty lackluster.

But hey, generic +15% to all damage! **** to the yeah! This means that after you smash a monster's head in, your character (or "Toon", as the cool kids call it, and I'm hip, baby!) then proceeds to stick them with a rusty piece of iron ember and takes their clothes and purse to add injury in the form of insult.

Never meet your heroes, kids!

=====================

gillusion.jpg

Here's a weapon that makes no sense at first glance but makes perfect sense once you break down the magical properties and explain them with wild speculation.

"Grand Illusion" gives me visions of some great clown or magician, or mirrors, something to do with deception, but the weapon does neither. Instead, my theory is, based on the contradictory fire and ice damage (it damages with freezer burn?), that this weapon is a tribute to Swedish metal band Grand Illusion. "Gates of Fire" and "Eyes of Ice" are two songs on their recent Prince of Paupers album, and the two-faced greathammer model could be a reference to the two main singers. The Armor reduction and Full Heal properties symbolize how metal can unapologetically tear down your defenses and blast your heart full of beautiful musical shrapnel. The amplified damage and unavoidable interrupt chance to your enemies sybolize how monsters, upon hearing the metallically melodic tunes, will have no other choice but to drop everything they're doing and headbang, hopefully bashing their heads into each other in the process.

So there you go, mystery solved! Maybe!

Of course, there's the irony of a metal (that sounded like a joke, didn't it?) band who plays fast-paced music having a weapon dedicated to them with very slow attack speed.

Wait, is that ironic? Who cares! NEXT!

==================

whirlfate.jpg

Hey, there's our friend 90% interrupt chance! Let's all ignore him like the fat kid at kickball. Ok, to be fair, if you have ways to speed up your attack then you become some kind of unstoppable wrecking ball. Similarly, if the fat kid in kickball would just learn to run faster he'd gain the same kind of ability. The fat legs are already an advantage because they can launch that ball into the stratosphere with their momentum (or break some noses), and no skinny 5th grader in their right mind is going to try to tag you out as you run full steam towards home plate like a runaway meat train.

Fire and electric damage, not something I would have thought of for a weapon with "whirlpool" in the name, but as a certified Wildland Firefighter I can definitively say firewhirls diring a thunderstorm are a million times scarier than water... whirls.

The critical damage bonuses are sweet, and I don't know what Shadowlings have to do with whirlpools of fate but there yo go.

I would have given this weapon the ability to create a massive vortex of fire and lightning, sucking in monsters like a Hoover from ****.
  • KurrusKurrus Posts: 173
    I, as somebody of no actual relevance to anything, strongly approve of this initiative.
    Thank ye! :)

Here's some more of this riveting series of write ups, sure to keep you on the edge of your seats until you have to go pee! **** bodily fluids taking away my audience!

===================

beyonddark.jpg

Initially I thought this pistol's name was more suitable for a magical weapon, but I realized the foolishness of my fumbling folly! The name can simply be a flowery way of saying "This gun kills you beyond dead", which is very macho and all, except that the stats are no more exceptional than what'd you see on a Rare pistol. Sure it's a lower level Legendary, but come on, make the thing more interesting!

Give it a chance to cast Blind, Stun, turn monsters inside out, warp monsters to a different dimension for 5 seconds and when they come back they return as a champion that drops sweet loot, something cool!

I guess it's cool enough that this weapon shares it's name with a horror movie from the late '70s about Voodoo and quasi-necrophilia.

==============

ator.jpg

Unholy ****, Runic! You just blew my mind with that kickass name! Sounds like a fantastic name for a Boomerang or your pet hawk eagle, but for a gun?... eh, it's alright. Unless it's a gun that shoots boomerangs! Or eagles!

The hefty chunk of Dexterity is nice (and generic), can't complain about the Critical bonus, and the Blinding Cloud effect may be a reference to how Ator defeats the Spider King in one of his barbarian movies. This pistol also does some electric damage, because guns are MOAR **** when they're shooting lightning, but it's not enough to qualify this gun as a Legendary.

==========================

hobogob.jpg

Is it any wonder that a gun sharing its name with one of the worst movies ever made is also one of the worst Legendaries in the game? Okay, now I'm just being a **** for no reason :lol:

Charge Rate bonus, Execute bonus, Stun chance, mandatory very fast Attack Speed for a pistol, nothing surprising here. It also deals Fire damage because I'm sure hobgoblins would burninate your **** by putting-out their cigars on it if you gave them the chance.

=========================

anthrophag.jpg

This one aint so bad, the healthy serving of life leech fits the cannibalistic name. I'm guessing the Ice damage and Freezing are there to Slow/Freeze enemies so you can **** their sweet marrow more comfortably; there's a neat theme going on.

If I had to complain though (which I would have done anyway), it's that cannibals don't remind me of guns, they remind me of spears and knives and dong-slings, not something as sophisticated as a polished handgun with a mounted scope.

====================

endgame.jpg

The most powerful Legendary Pistol in the game carries the most authoritative name; ENDGAME. Some say its ammunition is made from the bones of fallen angels, some say the attack speed was purposely nerfed because anything faster could destroy the Devs Gods themselves! But the rumor most uttered in fearful whispers is that WE DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A PISTOL OR A SHOTGONNE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfh4Mhp-a6U

The first Legendary I cover that has flavor text and it's THIS unsatisfying drivel! BAH!

I'm guessing more Legendaries don't have flavor text simply because it doesn't fit. There might be some limit to how big the tool tip window can get.

Let's see, Knockback + Stun, less Fumbling, random poison damage, meh. That's some brutalicious Damage Over Time though! And it's a 1-Handed Pistol (that solves that argument!) so you can blast enemies and hide behind a shield like the coward you are! Hurrah!

========================

That's enough for now, I need a snack break and then need go panhandle some more to get enough to buy a new computer. Toodles!
  • sylesyle Posts: 379
    i like this topic very much - if at the first post u could compile the changes suggested to the weapon and the flavor text

since the items descriptions for legendaries are quite simple to change ex:
    <TRANSLATE>DESCRIPTION:Legendary Crossbow Collection\nNumber One of Two
    this way the legendaries could be even more interesting
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    Dark, this is awesome and I hope to **** the devs see it. By the way, the 'four sided triangle'? Shame on you for not getting the reference.
    4-sided_dice_250.jpg
    It's Runics homage to where the RPG got its name.
    The weapon should definitely have something to do with fate...any way to make a mod that causes it to have 4 affixes that randomly change every time it fires? lol
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    Dark, this is awesome and I hope to **** the devs see it. By the way, the 'four sided triangle'? Shame on you for not getting the reference.

4-sided_dice_250.jpg
    It's Runics homage to where the RPG got its name.

I'm not that ashamed considering there's very little RPG in these kind of ARPGS lol

I hope the devs are getting a giggle out of this at least, they probably didn't have as much time as they wanted to fully flesh-out their ideas
    syle wrote:
    i like this topic very much - if at the first post u could compile the changes suggested to the weapon and the flavor text

since the items descriptions for legendaries are quite simple to change ex:
    <TRANSLATE>DESCRIPTION:Legendary Crossbow Collection\nNumber One of Two
    this way the legendaries could be even more interesting

I might add flavor text to them all, depends on how much interest there is and how heavily I think the items need to be modified, they may end up with different names and themes altogether
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 87
    Nice rundown thanks.

Personally I'm on NG++ level 100 and haven't gotten a single Legendary yet. Oh well :(
  • Sirius wrote:
    Nice rundown thanks.

Personally I'm on NG++ level 100 and haven't gotten a single Legendary yet. Oh well :(

On the flipside, me and the GF just started ng+, within seconds she got a legendary axe, would be awesome if she wasn't a staff wielding embermage O_o

Also, Tails would really like to see some flavour text on these, if the number/five is just for collectors, I'm sure you could simply have 1/5 etc. and have plenty of space for flavour text.
    Runic Forums at its finest:
    Video not working.
    You probably have to press the play-Button.
    Feel free to post your own texteses!

I dun know mang, I kinda like the "collection" text, but then a part of me thinks it's too much like the ads you see in AVON catalogs that go "Enjoy the newest beauty products from the Tiffany Collection" or something lol

As they are, that's how I see the Legendaries, not really as world shakers but simply like really pretty and really rare marbles that you put in a display case.
    edited October 2012
    Bored, so here's a quickie for you tonight, this time we take a look at the lonely pair of Legendary Crossbows.

=================

9gate.jpg

While Bitter Moon has Electric and Ice damage covered, The Ninth Gate has your back by dishing out the Fire and Poison. Partnering up with a friend while you each shoot away with one of them should leave you ready to tackle just about any threat or immunity in the game. Or to add some spicy drama, team up with a reluctant foe and fight of the evil horde, then, when all your adrenaline is pumping, make sweet **** love on the pile of corpses.

Now's a good time to point out The Ninth Gate is a film by Roman Polanski about some dudes that get a hold of a book written by the Devil, and it can summon him or something. The Raise Shadowling and fiery Meteor Strike chance-to-casts seem only fitting in this case. Full Self Healing and bonus to knockback is nice, Meteor Strike has ginormous knockback as well if you can get it to trigger. Very useful for this kind of weapon of course.

I feel like the weapon should raise something more substantial than a shadowling though. Leave shadowlings to Uniques, Legendaries should be raising a titantic lava monster!

====================

bmoon.jpg

Sado-masochism, forced voyeurism, hot **** action, these are the images Bitter Moon evokes in the minds of movie critics everywhere. Fortunately for us, no such debauchery is associated with the Legendary Crossbow of the same name. (But thanks to mods, it totally can!) Once again, you have Roman Polanski to thank for the name.

The most prestigious crossbow in the game is an example of how jarring it can be to see Unique, and even Rare items, compared to the Legendaries. Bitter Moon seems to have been made as an afterthought, there are only 3 bonuses and they're all generic, the electric and ice damage could easily have been any combination of the elements with little consequence but were chosen probably simply because Bitter Moon already uses the other two elements.

I think crossbows should never have very fast Attack Speed, simply because of the one-shot nature of the weapon. This model has a clip in the stock so I'm less inclined to complain about it, we can just say it's been modified for rapid fire.

Like with many Legendaries, I feel I'd only use this weapon because of the cool name and for the "wow" factor, not that there would be much wow factor because you'll immediately get accused of spawning it through the console haha. That's right douche, this is the magnificent weapon I risked getting marked with the Scarlet Letter for (look it up lol), this crossbow that can be overshadowed by its non-Legendary kin in a similar level range is what I decided to use to make the rest of the world jealous. Ya rite ****

Possible alternate stats for this weapon could be anything really, though I'm leaning towards powerful bonuses that only activate at Night. Maybe it's more effective against werewolves and gargoyles? Increases night vision? Reduces your health to half at night to increase your damage by the same amount?

===================

Well that was fun, tune in next time when I write more things about crazy stuff!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    Darktails, I was just trying to be funny, you know :P

I seriously think this is probably the best thread about these items i've seen. I know Doom had been talking to JBeck about legendaries and he had the same idea as you-legendaries should be about 'Holy **** Wow'. His suggestion was that instead of a 1% chance to summon a flaming skull, for instance, you'd have a 30% chance to summon 10 giant flaming skulls, or something. I know Runic has been discussing revamping them but I don't think it would be anything on the kind of scale you're talking about...but who knows. Hopefully they're reading this thread, though.

I cant emphasize enough how much win is in this thread. I'd suggest some ideas but frankly, your ideas are far better and more creative than anything I could come up with.
    ItfooQF.png
    I feel like the Legendaries should be OP but in a themed way, not pick a name out of a hat and slap some OP stats on it that vaguely go along with the name. I don't have a problem with that approach though, so long as it's used sparingly.

I know many people love simple beatsticks and don't care about froo-froo themed items, Bitter Moon and Endgame are good examples of straightforward beatsticks, I just feel like those kind of items should stay as low level Uniques to give adventurers a little boost. High-level Uniques and Legendaries need to be recognizable, they need to have a memorable story or effect so they're spoken of like Excalibur. People talk about the "a sword in the stone" and they know, yeah, that's Excalibur! People still know what the Muramasa Blade is (with thanks to Marvel Comics lol). Legendaries should be items people aspire to own.

Mod wise, I hope people make some new Legendaries along with rare side quests to get a chance at earning them. Maybe have the rare dungeons be like phase beast challenges; puzzles, light the torches while under heavy attack, kill a tough mob, etc., something like that. Then you fight the boss monster and it's using the weapon during the fight, which it'll drop if you beat it. Or the Legendary can simply be your reward for getting through the grueling dungeon.

Legendaries out in the field can still be random I guess, though I think it would be more exciting to encounter a Super Champion using the Legendary and having to beat it to get the item.
    Welcome back to our romp through the world of Legendaries, today we take a look at the 1-Handed Swords. And what's all this "we" business? It's all about ME, baby!

I'm semi-proud to say that I didn't even need to look up these swords' names to see if I could cleverly pretend I knew what their significance was. About 2 years ago I heard an interview on Coast to Coast AM with Herschell Gordon Lewis, the godfather of gore, who directed four movies with these Legendaries' names. I haven't actually watched the movies because I usually laugh too hard at these old movies to pay any attention, so I couldn't tell you specifically how each individual movie relates to the corresponding Legendary Sword.

Still, knowing how charming and charismatic Mr. Lewis is isn't going to prevent me from analyzing ragging on Runic's tribute to him!

===============================

2kmaniacs.jpg

This name wins simply because of the exclamation mark, too bad there's no prize in this competition, sorry Maniacs.

I'll admit, knowing the names of these Legendaries but not knowing the content of the films they're named after doesn't leave me a whole lot of room for concise mockery, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a whole lot of Ice damage flying around on set. Armor damage and health steal are neat to see on a melee weapon, Call Forth the Skull is a funny hokey distraction (although at 2% why even bother adding that ability?), and the beefy secondary target damage bonus rounds off the generic beatstick theme of the weapon.

I didn't even know 1H Swords could do secondary damage! I wasn't kidding when I said I can't play this game due to a crappy computer lol.

No flavor text to be seen because the title speaks for itself!

====================

bfeast.jpg

I don't really think of the Berserker as a cannibal but he sure does like to drink people's blood a lot (he's secretly a Vampire class?). The very fast attack speed this sword shares with all the others ensures you'll be chugging blood by the barrel.

There's Poison damage and a poison bonus on this sword for some reason, Silence makes sense since dead people don't scream (but ghosts do!) and it's great for pounding on those **** spellcasters, and... and... that's it!? What kind of con game are you running here, Runic! You have a Level 69 sword and you don't even add dirty flavor text! Bah!

At least the pronged blade can act as a fork as you eat that tasty schoolteacher.

================

taste.jpg

BERSERKER CAN NO GET ENOUGH BLUUUUUD! I feel like this sword should precede Blood Feast, just to have some kind of chronology going. First you get a taste of sweet human Clamato and then you bring out the cleaver electric carver to get some more.

The Melee damage bonus would pair nicely with dual-wielding instead of carrying a shield, so this feels like an offensive sword, not that there are any non-offensive swords of course. Well, maybe not when the term "crossing swords" is brought up, but I don't want to talk about that because I'm pretty sure we're going to get hit with enough bots from that hot **** reference in the previous post.

I don't know what Scalding Geyser looks like, but it better be blood-red and pouring into my mouth or I'm gonna be mildly disappointed and/or thirsty!

========================

wizardgore.jpg

The Wizard of Gore, a nickname for Mr. Lewis himself. This beastly blade has some attack speed increase, a boost in attack power... for Pete's sake, only 3 magical properties again!? Well, it's not so bad, the lightning fast attack speed and burly damage is great for a 1-Handed weapon so you can turtle up with the other hand. The Electric damage is there because the other swords used up the other elements.

Two suggestions come to mind for these weapons; Either give them completely bonkers completely off the wall cosmetic blood effects to pay tribute to the laughably gory films of yesteryear (like Blood Geysers), or rename and redesign them altogether. As is I feel like they're novelty items taking up valuable Legendary loot space.

===================

That's enough tomfoolery for today!
  • Four Sided Triangle is a early Hammer film where two scientists who have created a matter duplicator love the same woman, so they duplicate her, with the other movie references I think this is the one, you can buy it with another great film called X the Unknown on dvd.
  • crazynesscrazyness Posts: 239
    BTW...

If anyone's wondering about the +poison on "melee" weapons...

Most people don't realize this...

But just like "Wands", Outlanders can actually still dual-wield a melee weapon in Right-Hand, and a Pistol in Left-Hand.
    It enables the Outlander to still use all their skills (except for RapidFire)
    AND, still able to get dual-wield bonuses from equipments and spells.

That's why there's THIS:
    [LINK DELETED]
    I figure most people know that you can equip a melee weapon and a Pistol at the same time, since it isn't a big secret or anything and anyone can do it at any time.

Still, that doesn't explain why there's random +Poison on Legendary melee weapons. And I'm not sure why you'd bring it up since the only Legendary covered so far with poison is a 2H Greathammer, which Outlanders don't like using, and a 1H Sword that only has Poison because the other 1H Swords have the other elements already, not for any tactical purpose :lol:

Eh, helpful info nonetheless :)
    edited November 2012
    Here, have some moar:

glass.jpg

The lowest level Legendary Staff also evokes the strongest fillins'. Come on, don't pretend like you don't get that reference to Mr Cooper professing his feelings to Vanessa in the series "Hanging With Mr. Cooper"!

With such a tragic-sounding name you can be sure to expect some magical properties that will pull at your heart-strings. The sentimental hits include things like +Ice Damage, +Cast Speed... chance to cast an Ice spell... some electric damage... the only thing I feel is rage, but at least the weapon is consistent. very slow attack speed though... I drowned HOW many baby goblins for this!?

While beautiful like A Song for Tomorrow, if I was gonna make a weapon named after a Blondie song I would have picked something like Rapture, and made it a Unique Staff with the ability to summon a superfly dude in a white tux and tophat that likes dancing and peeping through people's windows at night.

=======================

ldarkness.jpg

Now's a good a time as any to mention Warner Herzog. Now that that's out of the way, IT'S TIME FOR LESSONS OF DARKNESS! BWAHAHAHAHA!

FEEL THE ICY TOUCH OF DEATH (well, more like the FIERY touch because this staff also deals Fire damage and has bonus Fire damage with an inexplicable splash of Ice damage...) AND DESPAIR AS YOU SEE YOUR SKULL ERUPT FROM YOUR FACE ONLY 5 PERCENT OF THE TIME!

I feel like a long sigh is in order here. Is +15% Fire damage and 10% armor really enough to make this a Legendary? Can't you easily and vastly surpass those stats with lesser items using skulls in a few sockets? I see more discussion on the boards about powerful socketed Rares than any Legendary at all.

Possible tweaks to this item based on the name:
    • Have it deal only Shadow damage. Shadow damage can be a type of elemental damage that can't be resisted/blocked/etc. due to its insidious nature.
    • Give the staff like a 10% chance to raise some kind of Shadow creatures that also deal Shadow damage.
    • Display an aura of dark magic around the user, maybe it deals constant AoE damage.
    • It can have a skill the player can cast on allies that converts all their damage to Shadow damage for a limited time.

================

bestfiend.jpg

This one is on the right track with the nifty 15% Raise Shadowling chance. The thing is, the weapon is called My Best Fiend, as in singular, not many fiends, so I think this Staff should be able to raise only one powerful creature that acts as your bodyguard or whatever. You can do away with the Electric damage bonus and Stun chance, the one creature should pack more than enough punch to annihilate opponents.

The staff has a skill that mutates the player's pet into the new creature, so the player could even make a build around powering up the creature even more simply by wearing gear that pumps up pets/minions.

===============

whitediamond.jpg

There's that conflicting Ice/Fire damage again, the stats are gener- okay, I'm tired of using "generic", so from now on I'll be using "bloopy". Those stats are so bloopy, man! Though the staff's name is bloopy enough to let it have any theme imaginable, there's no reason to keep it as a bloopy beatstick and every reason to give it some pizzazz.

Maybe it casts a glowing white diamond shaped AoE spell that rapidly heals/cures any ally in range.

How about this staff deals tremendous white hot fire damage and any monster that gets its health reduced to less than half by this staff gets a special incineration animation? They get paralyzed in place and scream in agony as they're consumed, and any monster that touches it while it's being incinerated also begins to incinerate, regardless of its health.

=======================

invincible.jpg

Another beatstick with familiar Chaotic Rift and Lighting chances. Too much bloopy going on, Faster Cast and +All damage is so bloopy, so are the multiple elemental damages, but I guess a weapon called "Invincible" should have those. Like I said before, I'm not opposed to bloopy killsticks when sprinkled in, so this can be one of those cases.

"Invincible" makes me think this weapon should have crazy overpowered abilities. Reflect everything 80% of the time, 60% chance to instantly fully heal when about to die, carrying this staff makes your eyes glow and whitens your teeth, I don't know, something ridiculous.

======================

Alrighty, enough for today, the day is young and there's grifting to be done!
  • crazynesscrazyness Posts: 239
    DarkTails wrote:
    I figure most people know that you can equip a melee weapon and a Pistol at the same time, since it isn't a big secret or anything and anyone can do it at any time.

Still, that doesn't explain why there's random +Poison on Legendary melee weapons. And I'm not sure why you'd bring it up since the only Legendary covered so far with poison is a 2H Greathammer, which Outlanders don't like using, and a 1H Sword that only has Poison because the other 1H Swords have the other elements already, not for any tactical purpose :lol:

Eh, helpful info nonetheless :)

on a 1H weapon, +poison adds to outlander's poison skills. (that much if obvious, LOL)

As for 2H weapon... some ppls is actually trying out "Meleelander" (not to mention some ppls in mod section is tweaking skills to fit melee builds)

Maybe the Devs placed those in, so ppls can actually "try" different builds.
    Instead of just sticking to one "powerful" build... (you all should know which is which, LOL)
    Bump and trying to rouse myself for another entry lol
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 162
    crazyness wrote:
    Most people don't realize this...

But just like "Wands", Outlanders can actually still dual-wield a melee weapon in Right-Hand, and a Pistol in Left-Hand.
    It enables the Outlander to still use all their skills (except for RapidFire)
    AND, still able to get dual-wield bonuses from equipments and spells.
    I like to call this the 'Raptor' loadout (inspiration); it works quite well with Engineers as well (with Onslaught filling in for the jump pack)...
    White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
    "Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
  • NariielNariiel Posts: 29
    Zidders wrote:
    Darktails, I was just trying to be funny, you know :P

I seriously think this is probably the best thread about these items i've seen. I know Doom had been talking to JBeck about legendaries and he had the same idea as you-legendaries should be about 'Holy **** Wow'. His suggestion was that instead of a 1% chance to summon a flaming skull, for instance, you'd have a 30% chance to summon 10 giant flaming skulls, or something. I know Runic has been discussing revamping them but I don't think it would be anything on the kind of scale you're talking about...but who knows. Hopefully they're reading this thread, though.

I cant emphasize enough how much win is in this thread. I'd suggest some ideas but frankly, your ideas are far better and more creative than anything I could come up with.

Yes we need those fun, beneficial WTF just happened moments.

I would suggest a new set of legendaries with a very low proc chance(prob less than 1%) but super ridiculous effects. The effect(s) aren't listed in the stats, it will only say hidden and you hope it goes off.
  • IanusIanus Posts: 41
    I got my hands on a legendary cannon, but the OP doesn't mention a proper thread to put it. Plus, how do you make those pictures without the inventory in the background?
  • Nariiel wrote:
    I would suggest a new set of legendaries with a very low proc chance(prob less than 1%) but super ridiculous effects. The effect(s) aren't listed in the stats, it will only say hidden and you hope it goes off.
    Like Borderlands legendaries? Yeah. Would be cool.
    As for my opinion... I think that there are quite a few unused possibilities for weapon procs...
    For example we have Lizardtooth, a unique sword with a chance to proc Eviscerate, a zerker only ability... Imagine a legendary crossbow with a 100% chance to cast Shattering Glaive on attack or a cannon with a chance (or 100%) to cast Fireball VI...
    Also one almost unexplored mechanic is instant charge up. Engineer I think has that as a passive... Imagine a unique armor or legendary weapon with a chance to max out charge on hit/being hit/kill/block :)
    Ianus wrote:
    I got my hands on a legendary cannon, but the OP doesn't mention a proper thread to put it. Plus, how do you make those pictures without the inventory in the background?
    Those are from torchlight2armory
    Omae wa mo shindeiru
    Ianus wrote:

I'll cover Cannons in the next post or two. :) Not sure what you mean about "a proper thread to put it" though lol

Insta-charge sounds like a no-brainer Legendary ability!
  • IanusIanus Posts: 41
    Erm, yeah, I had thought those links in the OP lead to other threads and this one was JUST for staves, but now I realize they lead to posts within the same thread.
    Anyway, I found Lady Vengeance in an NG+ Mapworks level. :-)
    Got a nice bloopy little blurb today about Greatswords, perfect for whiling away the time while on the crapper (or a "Bidet" if you're classy, I had to look up how to spell it by searching for "**** water").

lace.jpg

The Biggoron's Sword makes its Torchlight debut as a big broken slasher doused in petrol and lit with hellfire, at least that's what the additional Fire damage and bonus suggests. The Critical Hit bonus makes sense for such a burly weapon and the Charge increase can be a nod to the Charged Sword Spin attack from the Zelda games. Other swords using this same model also heap on the furious nodding with names like "Mountain Giant Blade" and "Hill Giant Blade". Yes.

Now lets complain about the obvious for a second. Legendaries shouldn't look like every other sword in the game! Okay, maybe we can say that the only thing that makes a Legendary weapon Legendary is it has more enchantments than usual, or unusually strong ones, but that's lame! So lame and bloopy, dude! (I feel like I'm in the '90s again lol)

Legendaries should at least somewhat resemble what they're called so +Charge Rate and absurd rarity aren't the only things that separate them from the other tiers. A weapon called "Blood and Black Lace' should at least have the grip wrapped in Victoria's Secret **** is all I'm saying.

Hey DT, weren't you complaining about this same thing with Uniques not being Unique enough?

Yeah! There are a bunch of ****' snakes on this ****' plane!

=====================

eyevil.jpg

It's hard to argue with a **** dinosaur skull chained to a hilt, swung around by a drunken jakked barbarian who just got gambled away his last copper, so I'm not going to lol.

The Evil Eye is a fitting name for a weapon made out of a giant skull, the sightless gaze digs into your soul and plants thorned seeds that sprout into really annoying ragweed that clogs up your nasal cavity before the toothy grin takes your head.

Ice damage... okay, whatevs. Love that Secondary Damage bonus, you're going to need it to offset that super slow attack speed.

I know I said it was okay for this skull-sword to have that name, but I lied, I'm not okay with it. Why go with bloopy when you can get ridonkulus?

THE EVIL EYE! It's a twisted sword resembling the Thousand Eyes Restrict, It can paralyze and poison enemies at a distance. There's a chance you can infect monsters and cause them to morph into horrible little eyeball monsters that try to **** the eyeballs out of their former allies. There's a skill with a 5 minute cooldown timer that for 3 minutes summons giant evil eyeballs that randomly burst out of the ground, and the eyeballs have teeth around the eyelids and big slimy spiked tongues burst out of the irises to drag monsters to their hideous deaths! Die, you scum!

AAAARRGG!!! WHY R THERE EYEBALLS COMING OUT OF THE GROUND!?!? HAAALP!

Would be a great weapon to use in tower defense mods.

=================

nerve.jpg

I'm all about the wacky names and Twitch of the Death Nerve pleases my refined palate. Pretty sure Acid Rain has been removed/replaced since it wasn't a functional skill (I think) but you still get your flesh-melting poison fix with the normal attack.

3000 extra damage just because!?... Okay! All three of these Legendary Greatswords are bloopy killblades with some elemental damage added for flavor. Feh. This one is actually kinda cool though because the name fits the abilities. You poison and beat them senseless, then and a few seconds later, when they're about to stab you in the back, their "death nerve" twitches and they crumple up like a sack of moldy potato chips. Then you viciously eat those potato chips to seal your victory (metaphorically of course, it's not like you're a sick blood-drinking berserker- oh wait...).

I'm not sure how classes other than the Engineer or Berserker could use these weapons, and that's fine, I'm sure the Embermage and Outlander don't want to touch the Berseker's **** black lace anyway.

===========

Okay, time to be quiet now :]
  • When i first saw the legendaries, im was a bit let down. They were just better looking items with bigger stats. Nothing special really. They dont ALL have to have some kind of unique property, but it would be pretty amazing if the devs decided to add in some cool stats or effects on just a few of those weapons.