Shotgun Surgery (Elite NG5, Tested)

SweeterSweeter Posts: 326
edited March 2013 in Outlander Discussions
EDIT: Get this mod to make your life much easier.

Hey all!
As an introduction, I have been playing games like this for some time. I love to min-max and tweak things. For me, a sense of tingly joy happens when a build comes together through a combination of the skills, playstyle, and gear of a character.
I started Torchlight 2 with a Dual-Wield Engineer, and along the way I found a legendary Shotgonne. I figured that fate was telling me to roll an Outlander.
Some time later, I have this Outlander at NG5 Elite, through speedruns of the game, farming mapworks, Duncraig, MyCrib and Tartarus (thanks to all the modders out there). It is now my favourite high-level character I have, was amazing fun to level, and feels very powerful and reliable. So I would like to share her with you!

My video of her farming Duncraig Elite can be found here.
General Grell Instructional/demo can be found here.
A thread and video covering 'Chaos Theory' (my endgame version of this build) can be found here.

Below I have included two builds. The one in Red is my levelling build, the one in Green [LINK DELETED] is what I am using at endgame for farming and Tartarus. It has a little more protection and elemental damage at the expense of utility.

Skills:
(note, Red is my levelling build, Green is my endgame build).

Passives:

Shotgonne Mastery: 15/15. Get this as early as you can. The best single skill you have. Your Father, Mother, secret lover. Take it and rule the world.
Shotgonne Mastery: 15/15. No change here.

Poison Burst: 10/15. Gives more DPS, and as a benefit, a hilarious exploding animation you will come to love. 10 is enough to matter. More could be spent here if spare.
Poison Burst: 10/15. Again, no change.

Share the Wealth: 15/15. The only reason my friends bring me rather than another Embermage. Seriously, this is amazing, just take it.
Share the Wealth: 15/15. No change again.

Master of the Elements: 15/15. More Poison AND more Elemental Damage for my Shotgun. Yes indeedy.
Master of the Elements: 15/15. No change.

Dodge Mastery: x/15. You will have Dex from gear, and from Boris the Frankly Overpowered Enchanter. Thats fine, extra crit and dodge is ok. Just put points in here until you are capped for Dodge. One of the lowest priorities to worry about early on.
Dodge Mastery: x/15. At endgame, I have 5 points in this.

Long Range Mastery: x/15. I put my 'spare' points here. Its extra DPS. If it gave you range as well it might be more of a priority, but when you can get 20% to ranged damage on a skull-its not the most important investment.
Long Range Mastery: 0/15. I dropped all points in this in favour of other skills.

Actives:

Rapid Fire: 15/15. Its fast. Its furious. It stacks conditions like no-ones business. It looks AND sounds cool. And hits like a truck. Just putting this on your bar makes knees tremble, maidens swoon, dragons cower and the combatlog to have a seizure. It does, however, have truly ludicrous amounts of knockback combined with Shotgonnes. Your enemies will fly off the screen, out the room, and possibly into other games. More on this later. (PUT ME ON YOUR MOUSE BUTTON).
Rapid Fire: 0/15. Dropped in favour of Chaos Burst.

Rune Vault: 1/15. I am fine with running away. Plus this make me look like a ninja. Vault+Rapidfire is a great way to create huge distance in a second.
Rune Vault: 1/15. No change.

Cursed Daggers: 1/15. This is purely for the damage reduction rather than the damage component. 5/15 is optimal, but not needed. Anymore would be a waste of precious points. Use this all the time.
Cursed Daggers: 0/15. Dropped as there was no real need for it on Trash, and bosses are spending almost 100% of the time Blinded.

Venomous Hail: 5/15. Ever wanted to hide behind a small shrub and rain poisonous acidic death on everything around you? I know I have. Fire around corners, up and down levels, off the screen. Its very, very abuseable. I have never needed more than 5 pts in this. For anything other than bosses, thats all it takes. Your AOE.
Venomous Hail: 10/15. Increased as a need for heavier AOE was becoming apparent against 175+ level mobs.

Tangling Shot: 1/15. Used both to root enemies so they don't cave your head in, and to root them so you don't knock them out of range. Not used so much past 60. But its utility, and I like that.
Tangling Shot: 1/15. No change and my only real active CC now.

Bramble Wall: 1/15. I love this skill. I drop a wall behing my enemies, and all of a sudden, I can Rapid-Fire them up against it. You can hide behind it and have a quick sandwich break. You can use it to divide rooms (you can vault over it), block passages, bunch up groups for Hail, and most importantly, use it to seriously annoy other players. Priceless.
Bramble Wall: 0/15. I spec in and out of this almost every day, I hate to lose it, I really do. Sometimes I want it, sometimes I don't. Bah!

Blade Pact: 15/15. Turns the feared Troll into the less-feared Kitten. Excellent for weakening those nasty enemies, slowing a weeny-rush, bunching groups together, and kiting with vault. Get this early.
Blade Pact: 10/15. Largely kept for the slow as we are now doing less physical damage, so the points were reduced.

Repulsion Hex: 5/15. The Hex is a jealous one, and she wont let anything touch you. An absolute life-saver early on, and even late-game will push most anything out of your face. And lets face it, this build clearly needs more knockback.
Repulsion Hex: 5/15.No change here.

Stone Pact: 15/15. Stand in this and tank bosses. Stand in this and do everything. Just stand in this. I have two always up to vault between, possibly with a little Bramble garden inbetween. Always keep this maxed at every level. Plus it has a cool green trippy effect.
Stone Pact: 15/15. Can't even imagine building an Outlander without 15 ranks in this.

Shadowmantle: 15/15. My main source of death was ranged, so with this and a couple of missile reflect skulls, I cut my deaths by about 75% with 15 skill points. That, to me, is a bargain.

Chaos Burst: 15/15. My new main attack to replace Rapid Fire. Poison, hits very hard, has a strong AOE element that with Shotgonne Mastery Blinds and Knockbacks entire packs of mobs, the ricochet is very powerful in dungeons, and on bosses if you can hit with 3 or more of the bolts its basically the same Blind chance as RF after 2 volleys. Works tremendously well with AR or Haste.

Stat Points:
110 Dex, rest into Strength. Thats it.

Gear:
Stats you want to look out for:
Strength
+%Ranged Damage/Damage
+%Poison Damage
Crit
Health
%Damage Reduction
A little +mana/sec, mana leech or +mana (about 15mana/sec or 20 mana leech).
Missile Reflect (about 30%)

The gear setup I use atm is:
The Chevalion (a lovely chestpiece)
The Fraybreeks (awesome name, awesome pants)
Unearthly Hikers (damage reduction and 2 set bonus)
Unearthly Brassarts (awesome all round)
Belt of Fallen Heroes (its ok)
Hands of Orlac (best hands in the game imo)
The Asphyx (best head in the game imo)
Pendant of the Pike (health)
Ring of the Players x2 (just an great all-round ring)

Day of the Beast (has poison damage, acid raid proc, and I call her Lara)

Skull-wise I use 10x Reichliu, 11xLimoany, 1xX'n!toph (for the Asphyx), 2x Whorlbarb and 2xOrpantile. The Shotgonne has 2xVellinque and +235 poison damage on it. Everything else is enchanted with the magic of Boris for strength.
That puts me at 450% critical damage with 1317 Strength, 51% Crit, and 137% Poison Damage.
Spells are Concentration, Ranged Weapons, Haste (on all the time) and Treasure Finding because I am a loot ****.
My faithful spider James (web has saved my life) has Pet Handling, Silence, Bee Swarm and Heal All.

Okurina, over and out.

Comments

• petrus4petrus4 Posts: 65
    I suspect that this is more or less what I am progressing towards. ;)

Awesome build. :D
  • GtBGtB Posts: 76
    Nice character you got there.
    Im testing the 20% Health stolen bonus from the dragonrift set as it seems it procs on poison burst explosion as I leap throught Tartarus elite trash. It is very hard to tell if it is worth having it or not as I tend to oneshot thing and the explosions have nothing much to proc on haha.
    You are right don't use leap without a shield, 75%bock and 40% reflect, Tartarus is fine as there are no shielded monster nor slow-moving/still elemental traps waiting for you, but you should always be very cautious about those.
    Venomous hail 15/15 is a bit overkill but when you enter Tartarus elite and 6x lvl150 boss are waiting for you ... and those trolls are just annoying I'd better oneshot them, it does the job.
    Same I only have cursed daggers 1/15, I hardly use it anymore even if I only have 30%damage reduction on my gear.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ErjinErjin Posts: 7
    Well done sir, thanks for this nice and clear build. Although playing in veteran, i'm trying something very similar based on your advices and my first impression is that shotgonne rock. Combined with Glaive Throw (1 point in it, it may be worth it to put 5 points in it ? ) it's awesome. It seems even that it's much easier than with my engineer.
  • EsteEste Posts: 88
    I'm tempted to try something like that, despite the fact that I already tasted the power of the Glaive Thrower :P

I should be twinked out enough to pull this off.

But first, what is your AOE? VH is not a reasonable aoe at all. Is it really enough to spam rapid fire? Doesn't sound all that efficient to me tbh.
  • Este wrote:
    I'm tempted to try something like that, despite the fact that I already tasted the power of the Glaive Thrower :P

But first, what is your AOE? VH is not a reasonable aoe at all. Is it really enough to spam rapid fire? Doesn't sound all that efficient to me tbh.

What's wrong with VH?
    Check out the Shooty Summoner here!
    Well, nothing particularly. It's good for hitting stuff you can't hit otherwise. But its radius is small and it offers no real spammable burst aoe - compared to Glaive Throw for instance. Feels more like a small radius Hailstorm that does not debuff your targets and takes time to deal its full dmg. Not really optimal for a fast paced game.
    edited October 2012
    Este wrote:

You'll die constantly with anything but glaive spam up until probably Act 3 at least. The survivability of a shotgun build just isn't there before at least 170-200 Strength. I've only got 169, but another 100 with gear. Mind you, I'm also being what most would consider suicidal, and putting 1-2 points per new level in Vit, along with a respec in which 50% of my points were evenly split between Vit and Str. My current build is completely non-Dex. If I can be bothered, I will probably try and go to tier 5 NG+ on Normal first, and then try and figure out how to do it on Elite. I've had to respec my current Elite test build to glaive spam, but that is because said Elite character isn't even in Act 2 yet.

No, VH isn't particularly good AoE in the grand scheme of things; but it helps if you realise that in general terms, the Outlander is probably the most gimped class in this game, comparitively speaking. If you want something ranged that doesn't ****, that's what the Embermage is for. Shotgun spec is fun because it's a comparitively non-mobile control/utility build; although unfortunately, what you have to realise is that this isn't pre-WoTLK World of Warcraft. What I mean by that, is that TL2 is even more an exclusively offense/DPS focused game than WoW was; it's rightfully about one button, mindless damage spam, rather than doing anything actually interesting.

Hence, this build is unavoidably going against the grain; to call it non-optimal is the equivalent of calling the North Atlantic mildly cool. That's also why the OP's gear is as insane as it is; it has to be. You don't play it because it's remotely sane according to TL2's actual rules; you play it because, according to some of us, it's great fun regardless.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to talk this build down. I really meant it, when I said I was tempted to try.

But the thing about fun is, that it's not an absolute term. To me fun means it's working good and efficient. Doing it the hard way on purpose won't cut it for me.

So I assume it just isn't my kind of thing. Since Glaive Throw, Prismatic Bolt and Wolfpack spam are what I'd call efficient. And I doubt this will live up to that standard.

A shame.
    Este wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to talk this build down. I really meant it, when I said I was tempted to try.

But the thing about fun is, that it's not an absolute term. To me fun means it's working good and efficient. Doing it the hard way on purpose won't cut it for me.

So I assume it just isn't my kind of thing. Since Glaive Throw, Prismatic Bolt and Wolfpack spam are what I'd call efficient. And I doubt this will live up to that standard.

A shame.

You'll notice that the OP described the build as "reliable." I would use the word, "robust." Mentally I compare it with the Tumbler; Batman's vehicle in the recent films. In other words, no, an SUV isn't remotely fuel efficient, and there are other reasons why some people don't like them, either. They do have some strengths though; namely, that if they're fully decked out and built properly, and have the fuel they need, they're practically indestructible, and can basically just drive over the top of anything in their path.
  • SweeterSweeter Posts: 326
    Been away recording some vids-including one of this build :P

But, until thats ready, some points:

My AOE up until 60ish was VH. Now its a combination of Rapid Fire and VH. Running Duncraig, I need to Rapid Fire over mobs for a couple of seconds for them to die. Often I plop my circles down and just strafe-kill. Its very fast. And with decent gear, VH hits like a truck, and if you make sure to use it on bunched up groups, its all you need.

Its a very in-your-face build in general, I often chase after mobs I have knocked back, flip towards groups to aoe, and stand in my circle in the middle of packs rapid-firing 360.

The suvivability of the build comes from repositioning, getting good with flips+VH as mortar fire, and the fact that Blind is utterly and totally overpowered.

As a final point, this isn't a build I picked up at 100 after gathering the gear and drinking a respec potion. Like my DW Engineer, I want builds I can level with, get used to, and also use at 100. I am all for tweaking along the way, but this build is 90% what I levelled with. The only major sticking point has been Long Range Mastery vs Repulsion Hex vs *random crazy burning leap ramblings*.
    petrus4 wrote:
    In other words, no, an SUV isn't remotely fuel efficient, and there are other reasons why some people don't like them, either. They do have some strengths though; namely, that if they're fully decked out and built properly, and have the fuel they need, they're practically indestructible, and can basically just drive over the top of anything in their path.

Also, this. That sums it up perfectly. Outstanding!
    Well, I really don't like SUVs ;)

But it does sound like it's worth a try. I'll just gamble a little more 'til I'm decked out in Shotgonnes for various lvl ranges and give it a spin.
    Este wrote:
    Well, I really don't like SUVs ;)

But it does sound like it's worth a try. I'll just gamble a little more 'til I'm decked out in Shotgonnes for various lvl ranges and give it a spin.

To give you an example of what I was talking about; I was only just trying to get through the genie's obstacle course in Act 2; the area with the blade traps. I died enough times for it to be frustrating, but then I realised that the only real reason why I was dying, was because of hesitation and caring about staying in the moving light. My passive health regen is 122/sec. So in the end, I just drank maybe 4 health potions, outran the light, and tanked the lot of it.

I can't speak for Sweeter here, but my approach is not based on any real dexterity or agility whatsoever. My reflexes are not particularly good, and IQ tests I've taken, have said that my main weakness is computational speed. Physically I'm 6'4" and nearly 130 kg; and so my philosophy in computer games carries over from that. Tenacity, and raw, monolithic, implacable brute force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZicrp_p4BE
    My approach is that mobs that are stunned, slowed, knocked back, stripped of armor, blinded and immobilized are not in any position to hurt me. And can be dealt with at leisure.

I *really* hate to use a wow analogy, but for me a Shottylander is a (vanilla) wow rogue at range. Control, Damage, Burst and Mobility.

This appeals to me as in every game I play, I prefer fights that are vastly to my advantage with a little planning. But the beauty of the Shotgun builds are that you can set up your kill zone, flip and do clever stuff with brambles; or you can stack health and kick down doors rapid-firing into mobs faces and tanking bosses.
    I'm in the process of uploading a video of me running Duncraig Elite with the spec I posted. As with my Engineer vids, I just want to show people whats possible with good gear, and I think videos (however badly made :? ) are a great way to illustrate that.
    edited October 2012
    Sweeter wrote:
    I'm in the process of uploading a video of me running Duncraig Elite with the spec I posted. As with my Engineer vids, I just want to show people whats possible with good gear, and I think videos (however badly made :? ) are a great way to illustrate that.

I look forward to that, Sweeter.
  • Cool build.

I have to ask though, how do you deal with the tremendous knockback affecting Rapid Fire and Venomous Hail? In my testing the knockback from shotgonnes+Shotgonne Mastery makes those skills almost unusable.
    edited October 2012
    In the open world, use bramble walls as something to pin them against and shoot, also use terrain to your advantage. You have one point of Tangling Shot also: If its not going to be one-shotted and can be affected by tangling shot, in the open world, you should use it.

In maps, use the walls and furniture and reposition so the big guys that take many hits to kill are pushed up against something solid. Its not perfect though, I chase after champions a lot :)
    malek9696 wrote:
    Cool build.

I have to ask though, how do you deal with the tremendous knockback affecting Rapid Fire and Venomous Hail? In my testing the knockback from shotgonnes+Shotgonne Mastery makes those skills almost unusable.

I can't speak for Sweeter, but I view the knockback as a strength, rather than a weakness. I have my pet cast Zombies and Skeletal Archers, and they and my pet go for things outside my range; and although Rapid Fire does some damage, my own use for it is more as a poker or lever, to keep melee mobs from being able to touch me at all. If I want to do concentrated damage, I'll either use VH, or for bosses, I'll generally try and get them up against a wall somewhere, and simply spam Rapid Fire until they're dead.
    Yes, thats also true. Certainly from 70+, the knockback actually started to become a boon. A quick spin on the spot with rapid fire pushes mobs away from you that could cause real harm. As you are not using a shield, that defense becomes important, especially for fast moving buggers like werewolves.
  • Sweeter wrote:

Skull-wise I use 10x Reichliu, 11xLimoany, 1xX'n!toph (for the Asphyx), 2x Whorlbarb and 2xOrpantile. The Shotgonne has 2xVellinque and +235 poison damage on it. Everything else is enchanted with the magic of Boris for strength.
    That puts me at 450% critical damage with 1317 Strength, 51% Crit, and 137% Poison Damage.

Dupe much? Lol.
    Protip:
    People sell skulls for this thing called gold. Which you can farm 500,000 in an hour.
    Or, you can have 4x100's, 1x75 and 1x55 for skull farming with +magicfind sets, and 796 hrs/played.
    Or you can dupe/unflag.

Which did I do?

You will never know...spooky... :lol:
  • The claim of a dupe is pointless for a variety of reasons.

1. You have no objective proof that the items were duped, other than your suspicion. They could have been obtained from trades, or as unlikely as it may seem, farming.

2. It won't affect you, or anyone at all, in any significant, quantifiable way.
  • Hi,
    I have question about shotgoone - should I use ones based on psychical dmg or elemental? I have a rare shotgone with 220 dps (1 sec attack speed) with only psychical dmg. I have found a unique one with poison and fire dmg, however it has only 180 dps. Im 35 lvl now and the skill improving elemnetal dmg is about +12% and 24% poison.
    Would need to see all your gear and stats (especially if you are using attack speed) and what your Str is, but as a general rule, a mix of physical and elemental makes sense for levelling, and the bonus from using poison weapons with a mixture of physical/other outweighs purely physical. Its important to be flexible, and there is an awful lot of +% poison damage you may be wearing anyway.
  • CathulhuCathulhu Posts: 173
    Nice build, Went with something similar on my first playthrough. After testing mechanics, my build felt too gimped, so I scrapped it. (wanted something a bit faster and stronger to get a farming character.)

Anyway.

you say that you swapped to Chaos Burst instead of Rapid Fire, and that it procs blind nearly as well, but with other benefits as well. Did you test this via leveling, or as some sort of respec? (i.e. is that a valid build to shoot for from level 1?)

EDIT: Do you have issues gaining and maintain charge without Rapid Fire? Since, as far as i am aware, Chaos Burst does not generate charge.

What sort of gear are you running with at the moment? I have a high level farming character, so I am interested in what I might go for. (since this build isn't terribly optimal to begin with, I don't feel dirty for twinking it.) Are there any sets you recommend? I don't really care if they are rare or unique. I assume you are using the Day of the Beast shotgonne?

Excellent guide and video, Good to see that high level shotgonne builds can hold their own. ( Just getting there is the rough bit it seems.)
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cathulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
    Shadowshot Outlander: A "Sniper" Guide *Elite NG+++*
    Hey,

Been out of the house for a week now so not much time to post on the forums! Anyway, now, I'm back!

@Cath:

The Chaos Burst change has been a real breakthrough for me. Before that, I had too much issues with knockback against mobs 150+ and too much micromanagement to pin them in place, it was getting terribly frustrating. The change meant that I was relying less on physical damage, and had a more AOE-skill that could be used against masses of incoming mobs to slow and knock them back. The downside is you have to go Rambo on bosses and literally hit them in the face with your attacks to ensure all hit, as CBs tracking is a little gimped.
    I have levelled to 60 with CB but I really feel that without super-pimp gear CB as a main attack is kinda crappy. It doesn't give you charge, is weak against bosses until very high levels, and I would say any levelling spec would want to shoot for 10 RF before 15 CB. Ideally levelling with both available would be optimal I think. RF really means you can survive those early bosses without getting destroyed.
    Charge is from VH only now, yes, thats true. But for what I am doing and the way I play at endgame, thats fine. I still rarely drop off 100% charge bar even when cautiously farming Tart, for example. 2VHs gives me a full bar.

My gear is linked in the first post, and the only change since then has been aquiring 2xRing of the Players, re-gemming for a little more mana regen, and spending a massive fortune on getting my enchants to 1800 Str. This means with my gear setup CB crits for 120k-ish per bolt.

The only difficulty is balancing mana regen/survivability/strength. Lately 15/15 Shadowmantle and about 30% missile reflect on gear have massively improved my experiences as a 2h player.
    Well, interesting. I also see you lost the point in Bramble well. presumably since you didn't need it to pin mobs against it anymore?

I know its a lot of work, but if you happen to have a Chaos Burst specced build video lying around, I'd love to see it.

My only experience with chaos burst was with a pistol and shield user before the skill changes patch... I eventually used it for indirect fire more often than not, bouncing it off of walls and terrain in order to maximize a killing spread on mobs. I also didn't have a problem with getting up close to bosses. CB was a surprisingly effective "shotgun" maneuver on them.

And just to reiterate, you did say that CB procced blind almost as well as rapid fire? (on a side note, do you know if CB is affected by +cast speed%?)

Considering my access to high level gear, I think I can mitigate the high mana cost and lack of charge, even on elite if I plan and play carefully.

Thanks for the replies!
    Yes, bramble wall was lost as it was proving to be rather redundant. Mobs are either one-shotted in Chaosy explosions or blinded and aimless-then dead.

I am in the process of compiling a video of a Speedrun of NG5+Tartarus bits with my new spec, but I wanted to get some duo play in with Xylonez recorded as well and I have been away so its been delayed.

But as you asked so nicely I will upload a small clippy of the first floor of Tart Elite with the new spec, just some random killage. It is here.

Next vid will be much better. ;) As a final point, my spec is constantly changing. The one used in the video is the most current, and not likely to change anytime soon or at least until I find something better. Its absolutely aimed at end game content and gear and would be very sub-optimal to level with. However, I feel I am nearing the end of this build as now I am looking at morphing it into some sort of Sniper/CC build based around Shadowshot, going in a very different direction.
    Thanks for the vid, quite nice of you mate.

as a sidenote, I have also been considering a shadowshot sniper type build. Its high DPS% and ability to blind has always interested me. However, I feel that it would not be good for crowd control due to the poor guiding of the shards, and i never could quite nail down a way to implement in well in a build. In any case, I do feel there is potential in it, I am glad that someone else is considering it as well.
  • Shadowshot isn't a bad skill really. It seeks well and rarely misses when you are dealing with multiple, moving targets. It only performs badly when you use it against stationary, or single targets, though even then it doesn't always perform that horribly.TommyReslin nailed it in the head. If you have a weapon with knockback, the push back helps the split shards home in to the targets better. The way I see it, the backlash against Shadowshot is mostly from the expectation that all of its shots should home in and not miss, when that would clearly make it a bit overpowered, given the high damage per shot.

1 point in Bramble is still useful, in some cases. They won't last long of course, but they can give you a temporary blockade to close off rooms, and stop rushing mobs. One combo I love using is a setup of Brambles which the mobs approach, positioning them nicely for a quick Venomous Hail. You don't always have to use the skill, but it helps in certain situations.