Complete Guide 2H Melee Engineer Elite NG+++ Video 200k dmg

jadenharrowjadenharrow Posts: 156
edited January 2016 in Engineer Discussions
Hello all. I decided to (re)write this because, I have seen a lot of people having problems with their 2 hander engineer on harder difficulties. There are a lot questions and what I believe misconceptions on what a build should entail. This is just my opinion I write here, and I am okay with yours if your okay with mine. I would like to think I am an engineer man, I have plenty of levels behind me and completed Elite mode with little difficulty. I do not hack, use consoles commands etc. So if you allow me to say I consider myself an oil man... errr engineer man, and a family man.
This is a melee oriented build although you can spam Emberquake if you wanted.

UPDATE AS OF 11/06/12


Video of NG+++ Elite Mapworks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHj97HVF ... e=youtu.be

Video of my Engineer in NG+++ killing lvl 150 mobs and bosses and elites, skip to 16:40 to watch me kill two bosses at once a lvl 151 Dragon and Netherlord. This is the the AWESOME Tartarus Mod, by PaulTM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDATIS3R ... e=youtu.be

here is a link to the mod viewtopic.php?f=48&t=41837

THE SPEC
[LINK DELETED]

I am only going to cover "mandatory skills" the rest feel free to play around with and find to your liking.

Emberquake, Why this you ask? Because it is low costing, does a ton of dmg, and most importantly has range which is vital. Relatively low cost, and doesn't take charges. Making it a great damage ability. Also follows those pesky kiting mobs. As to EmberQauke over Flame Hammer, Flame Hammer is awesome, and you don't have to wait, for me this was more of a personal preference so don't sweat it. FlameHammer used charge which I like to keep for FF but as you know we have enough charges with this build so that is kinda mute, but ember doesn't which because we dont use a lot of mana relieves the burden on our charges and puts it on something we dont use much which is our mana. One thing I noticed is that EmberQuake seemed much more accurate it seemed to seek out the enemies better (I know this could be in my head but even after reviewing video it just hit harder and its seeking ui seemed better idk) and with the Fire and Spark skill and fully leveled seemed for me to slightly more damage. However tbh it is more personal preference I could hit emberquake once and do less damage then I would with flame hammer and vice versa with the exact same gear so it seems. But because it lessens the burdens on our charge bar and personally does a slight more damage (it seems because it seeks mobs out) I changed to that.
Also according to this which seems is accurate just from playing
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44579
EQ biggest damage gain is through crit which as a str based engineer you will have tons of +% to crit damage :)
EDIT) Looks like numbers back up EQ being better then FH in most cases viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45844&p=415719#p415719


Heavy Lifting Obvious. This stun is ridiculous and procs continuously

Supercharge Obviously amazing, practicality doubles your damage output. It procs almost continuously.

Coup de Grace Worth just 1 point and no more, it scales with your Str and not worth the points vested past the first. This with the right weapons procs so much.

Onslaught 5 points, You are not getting this for Damage and not for Continuous CC (Crowd Control) you are getting this to slow heavy attacks from enemies likes Brutes and most importantly this allows you to move faster then the enemy which in turn allows you to live. This allows you to move across the playing field out of harms way, lets you dodge attacks since you are invulnerable while doing it. This ability is almost spammable. This ability coupled with Emberquake and Seismic Slam, lets you kite out of harms and and rain fire aoe down on tough hard packs, especially useful on bosses who summon hordes of minions. It also allows time for your Forcefield to come back up from CD. 6 seconds seems to be about the right amount of time.

Seismic SlamThis ability is pretty much spammable, and at 92% chance if you dont get them the first time you will the second. This ability with Onslaught, allows great movement and constant CC. If they aren't stunned their attacks are slowed by 50% for second seconds just from the Onslaught, more then enough time to beat them like the battered wife Whitney Houston could admire. Immobilization Copter is also in deploy, these all combined really reduces the damage to your Force Fied making it last longer which in turn makes sure you have full charged FF every time, all the time.

Healing Bot Obvious choice, great healing, boost to armor and most importantly mana regen. Since we are not specing Focus this is very useful.


Immobilization Copter
This is a great debuff for your opponents. And really makes you take about 1/2 dmg you would otherwise. You will start putting ranks in this around lvl 50.

Fire and Spark This is a great way to up your Emberquake Damage. But is more optional if you would like to apply these points elsewhere.

Forcefield This bad boy is your bread and butter, This is the key to the whole puzzle. Forcefield gains x1.5 with each charge it can consume when you activate it, giving you HUGE shields that block ALL Dmg. At level 100 this is 60k. So you will want to be conscious of how many charges you have in regards to how much dmg you are taking, and how long your CD before you can use Forcefield again. If the shield goes down but it's on CD, slam and Onslaught your way out of harms way blasting foes if you want with EQ/FH. Be careful of your charges you really want to maximize charges Forcefield's consumption of them. The more it absorbs the longer you stay invincible to all dmg. The longer you are immune to dmg, the more you can melee and create charges while hard hitting your foes having mass charges for Forcefield to consume. The cycle repeats and repeats. Resistances and armor help FF stay up. You only take applied damage to your FF barrier, another words after it goes through your resistances and armor.


What stats should I focus on?


My number 1 focus is Strength and only str with the exception of 10% crit or around 53 dex. If you look at my videos especially the one with me vs lvl 150 mobs, I have very little Vit, and in truth what I had I didn't need. It is a wasted stat. I believe it is also crucial to get your dex to 53 beyond that is a waste, but having 10% plus crit is a HUGE damage gain for us. You should put nothing in Focus, frankly you don't need it. Don't worry about Focus our heal bot has that covered :)


I FEEL SO SOFT and I AM DYING
ON your gear you should be focusing, elemental armor, everything else should be secondary. Things like 10% melee dmg, may look great but in actuality aren't as great as you would think. Press C and you will see what I mean. It is better to stay alive then to hit something real hard and then die, we aren't mages.
I personally like to gamble, you can get some great gear.


YOUR PET IS THE WORLDS BEST SUMMONER !!!
Your pet will benefit from Forcefield, but most importantly he is the worlds best summoner. You should be equipping him with every summon spell you can find for him. It draws fire from you and and surprisingly when you have 10 mobs on the board does a lot of dmg.

Spells

I prefer Adrenaline Rush, Haste, and Weapons Expertise, petty self explanatory. Because we are also using Emberquake I recommend Concentration for the mana regen, this coupled with your healbot you should always have the mana you need.

Gemming After some play testing, I have found that straight damage gems in weapon are the best we can socket. The one over time is good on bosses but not as good as the straight damage overall. As far as gemming your equipment so far it seems gemming elemental resistance is the best. The tougher we are the tougher our Forcefield is because it draws its reductions from us.

My weapon shows more dps but I lost damage! Being a strength based engineer, you want weapons that add raw physical damage as opposed to weapons that add elemental damage. You will see a much greater increase in damage this way. If they do have elements to them make sure they are Fire and Electric to play into your Fire and Spark skill if you chose to take it.

Getting all those GOLD, SOCKETS and Enchants!!

The enchanting thing is not as hard as people think. I have a lot of gold not sure if you noticed in my video and almost all of it is from farming ACT 2 Genie (light quest ..where you have to stay in the light) and farming the Mapworks Gambler vendor for goods then trading people online. I sold a full Celestial set for 5 mill, Demolisher for 1 mill and gems go nicely too especially 200+ damage and the notorious 10% damage which I have never found but have traded for and then for gold, etc etc. Focus in High end weapons (esp 1 handers and Shields) and set unique items. Except for that belt of mighty tools belt that adds 25% fire damage got 3 mill for that from someone with some other random unique on top of the belt.
Gold is easy to get if people trade or try, make friends then trade, this game has a great community and helpful people willing to trade.
Here is a great guide for farming enchants
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41158
However the current set enchants you see on my Mondos was not farmed I found it in a muliplayer in fact the only one I farmed was for sockets cause **** hated me and refused to spawn him (honestly I thought I was bugged for a long time).
For my current enchants I think it took about 8 mill in gold to get what I want, and honestly they aren't perfect. I don't have strength on everyone. One trick is if I wanted strength I would enchant it once, if I got a good strength roll I would keep it, bad I was remove enchant. and I just kept milling enchants. If my second enchant was not str I would not keep it, even if it was dex or vit because it was too much of a cost bet on that third enchant. Took me about 8 levels (I leveled slow because of farming trading etc (played over 100 hours to lvl 100) and 10 hours to get my mondo how I needed it in between earning gold, however now I have so much gold I have given millions away to help others.


Anyways hope this helps people. I am sure there are a ton of grammar errors and spelling errors but this is me not caring. Good Luck engineers.
Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
«13

Comments

  • BovusBovus Posts: 2
    Hi Jaden,

    I've been using your build (albeit in Veteran) and I'm loving it, especially the focus on fast 2handers. Can you explain specifically the relationship between Emberquake and Ember Hammer, and why you only suggest we use Emberquake? Thanks!
  • celixcelix Posts: 14
    ok and where is the Guide?

    I mean - i've started a new char to test your "Guide" and i must say that, it's impossible to level up this way, and you cheated - because u respect your flame hammer. I would like to see a level guide - step by step etc. Your guide isn't realy helpfull, its more that you descripe some skills and thats it. I am a one hit in melee combat on Elite and I'm doing no damage - you have the big end game gear and so on - tell me how you leveld up.
  • celix wrote:
    ok and where is the Guide?

    I mean - i've started a new char to test your "Guide" and i must say that, it's impossible to level up this way, and you cheated - because u respect your flame hammer. I would like to see a level guide - step by step etc. Your guide isn't realy helpfull, its more that you descripe some skills and thats it. I am a one hit in melee combat on Elite and I'm doing no damage - you have the big end game gear and so on - tell me how you leveld up.

    Why is it impossible to level up this way? I leveled up only in Elite with more or less the same - and possibly worse - point distribution (I don't cheat either and am leveling up my 2nd engineer through Elite). I actually made it even harder by not taking Forcefield till much later, just to check the mechanics.

    Respeccing Flame Hammer is not cheating - it's actually a big part of the game hence the initial respecs costing 0 gold.

    You don't need a level guide to tell you exactly what to do every level. If you need such a guide, I'd start on Normal, maybe Veteran.

    I play a different type of 2H engineer, so I wouldn't be going down this path - but that doesn't mean that this isn't totally viable.
  • How long did it take you to enchant all 1o equips with 3 strength enchants? I could get my calculator out and try to figure it out and throw a number at you but... I wanted to give you a chance to say first.

    What is your total time played?

    If I spent 100+ hours and 10 mill on enchants I would show each item and the 150 strength enchants. You know, to show people what it takes to make this character.

    Also why do you use EQ and Sismic Slam?

    Are you saying that your build actually does more damage with SS and you just like to go melee anyway? ( I see it is for CC? But really I don't get it)




    ALSO you are aware that Sismic Slam is only modified by focus and you have not one point into focus but you do have SS maxed out? I'm not sure why you did this...
  • How long did it take you to enchant all 1o equips with 3 strength enchants? I could get my calculator out and try to figure it out and throw a number at you but... I wanted to give you a chance to say first.

    What is your total time played?

    If I spent 100+ hours and 10 mill on enchants I would show each item and the 150 strength enchants. You know, to show people what it takes to make this character.

    Also why do you use EQ and Sismic Slam?

    Are you saying that your build actually does more damage with SS and you just like to go melee anyway? ( I see it is for CC? But really I don't get it)

    ALSO you are aware that Sismic Slam is only modified by focus and you have not one point into focus but you do have SS maxed out? I'm not sure why you did this...

    - I'd agree with the Strength enchants. You'd need to have enough dough saved up with all the gear right there AND find Boris to keep enchanting + disenchanting till you got ALL strength enchants. I managed to get only a couple, but my gloves did get +61 in like NG+.

    - For SS, I was wondering the same. My last Engineer was a Strength + Focus hybrid, with more pts in Strength. With some decent + Fire Damage % gear and some points into focus, the SS ticks are pretty decent. I'm guessing it's for CC too, as I use it primarily for that - but manage to get a somewhat decent DOT from it too. So I'll agree with Speedzombie on that as I did put some pts into Focus for the benefit. However - if you want some half-decent ticks, you can get it from some gear. I also have Focus attribute bonuses from gear and enchants, so maybe he is accounting for that? Didn't read this in depth so don't know.

    - I take FH over EQ. The Strength for the initial impact and the hybrid Focus pts for the splinters lets you benefit from some ranged attacks more. Same with the + fire Damage % gear - can help here for me. I know other threads have been started on EQ vs. FH vs. EH...
  • Okay so I am going to one long replay -- sorry for the late replays I had back surgery this morning and I am just getting around to life, with the help of Norcos

    Bovus wrote:
    Hi Jaden,

    I've been using your build (albeit in Veteran) and I'm loving it, especially the focus on fast 2handers. Can you explain specifically the relationship between Emberquake and Ember Hammer, and why you only suggest we use Emberquake? Thanks!


    I am glad you are liking the focus on fast 2handers, one thing I want to warn you about is about lvl 70 I noticed a HUGE disparity between physical dps on slower two handers and fast two handers, eventually you will trade to slower two handers. However Heavy Lifting, at the level really starts to shine so don't worry :).
    As to EmberQauke over Flame Hammer, Flame Hammer is awesome, and you don't have to wait, for me this was more of a personal preference so don't sweat it. FlameHammer used charge which I like to keep for FF but as you know we have enough charges with this build so that is kinda mute, but ember doesn't which because we dont use a lot of mana relieves the burden on our charges and puts it on something we dont use much which is our mana. One thing I noticed is that EmberQuake seemed much more accurate it seemed to seek out the enemies better (I know this could be in my head but even after reviewing video it just hit harder and its seeking ui seemed better idk) and with the Fire and Spark skill and fully leveled seemed for me to slightly more damage. However tbh it is more personal preference I could hit emberquake once and do less damage then I would with flame hammer and vice versa with the exact same gear so it seems. But because it lessens the burdens on our charge bar and personally does a slight more damage (it seems because it seeks mobs out) I changed to that.
    Also according to this which seems is accurate just from playing
    viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44579
    EQ biggest damage gain is through crit which as a str based engineer you will have tons of +% to crit damage :)




    celix wrote:
    ok and where is the Guide?

    I mean - i've started a new char to test your "Guide" and i must say that, it's impossible to level up this way, and you cheated - because u respect your flame hammer. I would like to see a level guide - step by step etc. Your guide isn't realy helpfull, its more that you descripe some skills and thats it. I am a one hit in melee combat on Elite and I'm doing no damage - you have the big end game gear and so on - tell me how you leveld up.

    I can't play your class for you, you can level however you want. I am unsure if you watched my video but you don't need anything other then melee, I have 3 different videos on my account you can watch where I am mostly melee. Would it be a little tougher sure, impossible? No because tbh I mostly do and did. I am sorry, you didn't find my guide helpful, how about this.
    First if you are using force-field right, you shouldn't be getting one shot. You would have to stand, and get hit by a lot of stuff you can move out of. Did you know you don't take damage while Seismic Slaming, or Onslaught, these are pretty much spammable. Are you dying then walking into the same mobs with one charge, only to die again? Why aren't you using the Dummy to recharge it to full before you jump back into those mobs? Are you speccing resistances? How is your crit? DId you know charge is built from the amount of damage you do? Crit ups this. Are you moving out of AOE or charged attacks, are you kiting enemies when needed? Are you allowing your pet to tank when he summons if you need?
    I don't feel that I should need to add all that to my guide I feel like this is more just decent playing IMO, but I have known to be a **** too so idk.
    Also with all due respect elite mode with this spec is pretty cake, and lvl 42 doesn't take long to get too, I think I was in Act 3ish start.

    Also if you think I cheated, well here is the character, and if you have someone in NG+++ you are welcomed to play with me.
    Also here is evidence if I cheat or not

    doicheat.png

    How long did it take you to enchant all 1o equips with 3 strength enchants? I could get my calculator out and try to figure it out and throw a number at you but... I wanted to give you a chance to say first.
    What is your total time played?
    If I spent 100+ hours and 10 mill on enchants I would show each item and the 150 strength enchants. You know, to show people what it takes to make this character.
    Also why do you use EQ and Sismic Slam?
    Are you saying that your build actually does more damage with SS and you just like to go melee anyway? ( I see it is for CC? But really I don't get it)
    ALSO you are aware that Sismic Slam is only modified by focus and you have not one point into focus but you do have SS maxed out? I'm not sure why you did this...

    The enchanting thing is not as hard as people think. I have a lot of gold not sure if you noticed in my video and almost all of it is from farming ACT 2 Genie (light quest ..where you have to stay in the light) and farming the Mapworks Gambler vendor for goods then trading people online. I sold a full Celestial set for 5 mill, Demolisher for 1 mill and gems go nicely too especially 200+ damage and the notorious 10% damage which I have never found but have traded for and then for gold, etc etc. Focus in High end weapons (esp 1 handers and Shields) and set unique items. Except for that belt of mighty tools belt that adds 25% fire damage got 3 mill for that from someone with some other random unique on top of the belt.
    Gold is easy to get if people trade or try, make friends then trade, this game has a great community and helpful people willing to trade.
    Here is a great guide for farming enchants
    viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41158
    However the current set enchants you see on my Mondos was not farmed I found it in a muliplayer in fact the only one I farmed was for sockets cause **** hated me and refused to spawn him (honestly I thought I was bugged for a long time).
    For my current enchants I think it took about 8 mill in gold to get what I want, and honestly they aren't perfect. I don't have strength on everyone. One trick is if I wanted strength I would enchant it once, if I got a good strength roll I would keep it, bad I was remove enchant. and I just kept milling enchants. If my second enchant was not str I would not keep it, even if it was dex or vit because it was too much of a cost bet on that third enchant. Took me about 8 levels (I leveled slow because of farming trading etc (played over 100 hours to lvl 100) and 10 hours to get my mondo how I needed it in between earning gold, however now I have so much gold I have given millions away to help others.
    I would also like to point out this is my only real character.
    MY first response on this reply I state why I personally use EQ over FH, but it is what you prefer, I gave my reasons for it. Maybe I should clarify in my guide.
    I use SS purely for CC, because Onslaught mixed with SS is pure melee heaven, nothing hits you and you just pound stuff into the ground without it taking hits to your FF while you just smash face and build charges. I chose to max it because that 92% stun is nice and I had to lower my mana use because I switched to EQ so I couldn't afford spamming it twice to make sure I stunned plus it was slower gameplay in a way I personally didn't enjoy and ya I know melee is slower in general :P I am aware Focus is the power behind SS but I am doing it for CC as I stated, lets be honest I hit for 100k-200k regularly (50% of the time) SS wouldn't even come close to that damage I dont think even with Focus build, I could be wrong but I doubt it.

    timer.png
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • satongsatong Posts: 38
    If you don't mind my asking, What text mod are you using? Looks kinda like kingdom hearts.
  • satong wrote:
    If you don't mind my asking, What text mod are you using? Looks kinda like kingdom hearts.

    Not at all, here is the link for it, its called pretty damage and imo much easier to look at.
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdown ... &fileid=42
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • satongsatong Posts: 38
    Thanks! Kept searching kindom hearts font and stuff. Didn't expect it to be called pretty damage
  • Thanks for responding. I have not farmed any of my characters at level 100 yet so I guess I underestimated how much gold can be found...
  • Thanks for responding. I have not farmed any of my characters at level 100 yet so I guess I underestimated how much gold can be found...

    If you don't rush, have fun and smell the roses (aka loot everything) don't potion spam, don't buy gems or respawn at the beginning of the dungeon etc. You can easily have 3 mill (lower side of the estimation) by lvl 100. If you farm some easily 5 mill. Also don't buy gear try trading for it, unless you have enough to farm the gambler. Then take all those sets and uniques and sell them to people, they will pay gold for it. Even lets say for a set you do 100k or even 50k for the whole thing, or even like 10k per piece its way better then vendoring it.
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • You made a great point about trading... this community definitely has to be better than D3, and I never thought about trading for gold before! Thanks for taking the time to write all this out
  • BaffyBaffy Posts: 8
    Sorry my friend that i need to critisize you again but...

    ...for **** sake...

    ...you spent milions of gold on strength enchants and then you give 117 res gems in you gear? Your forcefield overall dmg absorption isnt increased by amount of poison or electric resistance. Full FF talent with 5 charges give you about 60k+ absorption. Thats all. Or am i wrong?

    Anyway did you heard about 40 strenght gems?

    And last thing. On this forum you can found tons of guides, where you can learn, that if you are using strenght build, then your primar talent should by Flame Hammer which is taking great dmg benefits directly from strength. And for emberquake its focus. So...why you use EQ instead of FH. And dont tell me thats because FF need full charged bar to get full absorb and thats your personal choice. It takes minimal amount of time to get full charge bar with heavy lifting and charge **** procs. And FH isnt eating your whole charge bar.

    And when i saw this "Emberquake, Why this you ask? Because it is low costing" and "puts it on something we dont use much which is our mana" i was like OH MY ****!

    FH 15/15 mana cost 56
    EQ 15/15 mana cost 75

    You have 149! mana and you say that 75 is low costing? Now i understand why you prefer melee attack instead of spamming FH as other engineers. Its simple. You dont have enough mana to do anything else. One seismic, one onslught and one EQ and you are done. Waiting on bot to refill your mana.
  • Baffy wrote:
    Sorry my friend that i need to critisize you again but...

    ...for **** sake...

    ...you spent milions of gold on strength enchants and then you give 117 res gems in you gear? Your forcefield overall dmg absorption isnt increased by amount of poison or electric resistance. Full FF talent with 5 charges give you about 60k+ absorption. Thats all. Or am i wrong?

    Anyway did you heard about 40 strenght gems?

    And last thing. On this forum you can found tons of guides, where you can learn, that if you are using strenght build, then your primar talent should by Flame Hammer which is taking great dmg benefits directly from strength. And for emberquake its focus. So...why you use EQ instead of FH. And dont tell me thats because FF need full charged bar to get full absorb and thats your personal choice. It takes minimal amount of time to get full charge bar with heavy lifting and charge **** procs. And FH isnt eating your whole charge bar.

    And when i saw this "Emberquake, Why this you ask? Because it is low costing" and "puts it on something we dont use much which is our mana" i was like OH MY ****!

    FH 15/15 mana cost 56
    EQ 15/15 mana cost 75

    You have 149! mana and you say that 75 is low costing? Now i understand why you prefer melee attack instead of spamming FH as other engineers. Its simple. You dont have enough mana to do anything else. One seismic, one onslught and one EQ and you are done. Waiting on bot to refill your mana.

    - Are the resistance gems that bad? This guy looks like he has a **** ton of resistances that can help for the time that FF goes down
  • BaffyBaffy Posts: 8
    - Are the resistance gems that bad? This guy looks like he has a **** ton of resistances that can help for the time that FF goes down

    Hmm i wouldnt be so confident. This elemental resistances cant save you from physical hit from mob. Once FF is down on NG3+ elite you are walking dead man waiting on oneshot. He doesnt have even Bulwark to reduce dmg taken for the situations you described.

    In my opionion this build is one big fail. But this game is about to personalize your own gamestyle. Even its bad as **** you will find way to play it and you will enjoy it but call it guide its really unfairly. As i said in another topic of Jaden : he isnt using full potential of engineer.
  • This looks fun to me. He's demolishing them with a giant hammer face to face, not sipping wheat grass and munching glutin free mango biscuits while right clicking Emberquake behind an army of skeletons. Is it an optimal damage build? No. Is it an optimal fun build? **** yes!

    I will agree that the socketing is questionable. You have a few thousand of each armor type MAYBE, but they are hitting for 10, 20, even 50k pre mitigation. That can't be useful.

    And yes, I would have gone with some focus for more mana and magic damage. But basically you have proven that 2 handed hammering is possible, and that's awesome.
  • Baffy wrote:
    - Are the resistance gems that bad? This guy looks like he has a **** ton of resistances that can help for the time that FF goes down

    Hmm i wouldnt be so confident. This elemental resistances cant save you from physical hit from mob. Once FF is down on NG3+ elite you are walking dead man waiting on oneshot. He doesnt have even Bulwark to reduce dmg taken for the situations you described.

    In my opionion this build is one big fail. But this game is about to personalize your own gamestyle. Even its bad as **** you will find way to play it and you will enjoy it but call it guide its really unfairly. As i said in another topic of Jaden : he isnt using full potential of engineer.

    - Yeah I was wondering about the resistances. I was in NG ++ elite before rerolling and only had 1 resistance gem so was curious.
    - I agree with your second point actually... but that's also THE point: it's a guide of his personal style.
  • This looks fun to me. He's demolishing them with a giant hammer face to face, not sipping wheat grass and munching glutin free mango biscuits while right clicking Emberquake behind an army of skeletons. Is it an optimal damage build? No. Is it an optimal fun build? **** yes!

    I will agree that the socketing is questionable. You have a few thousand of each armor type MAYBE, but they are hitting for 10, 20, even 50k pre mitigation. That can't be useful.

    And yes, I would have gone with some focus for more mana and magic damage. But basically you have proven that 2 handed hammering is possible, and that's awesome.

    Yeah man, as much as some other people keep hating on this with "why would you "AUTO"-attack when you can use moves?" - playing 2H melee is awesome.
  • Sorry, I liked your video but I have to debunk some false statements you have made.

    What stats should I focus on?


    My number 1 focus is Str but then second I focus in Vitality. If you have 135 str you should have 90-100 Vit. At 100 vitality start focusing in Str purely, at level 64 you will have 200 str and 100 vit and 50 dex. From this point on do not put anymore points in vitality, so another words just 100 Vitality is all you need. I believe it is also crucial to get your dex to 50 beyond that is a waste, but having 10% plus crit is a HUGE damage gain for us. You should put nothing in Focus, frankly you don't need it. Don't worry about Focus our heal bot has that covered :)

    Yes focus is useless for melee but it's going to improve your Emberquake more than Strength will at your level of gear. I've posted a spreadsheet that allows you to find the exact break even point - not that that matters for you.

    Oh, and having more mana would be nice for you too.
    I FEEL SO SOFT and I AM DYING
    ON your gear you should be focusing, physical armor and elemental armor, everything else should be secondary. Things like 10% melee dmg, may look great but in actuality aren't as great as you would think. Press C and you will see what I mean. It is better to stay alive then to hit something real hard and then die, we aren't mages.
    I personally like to gamble, you can get some great gear.
    False. It's the other way. Flat reductions happen before % reductions, therefore flat reductions **** and % reductions rock.
    YOUR PET IS THE WORLDS BEST SUMMONER !!!
    Your pet will benefit from Forcefield, but most importantly he is the worlds best summoner. You should be equipping him with every summon spell you can find for him. It draws fire from you and and surprisingly when you have 10 mobs on the board does a lot of dmg.

    Spells
    Just remember that your pet's minions don't benefit from your % minion gear, and pet cooldowns can be different than your cooldowns. For instance, skeletons have a 60s pet cooldown and an 8 second player cooldown. Zombies, skeleton archers, and blood zombies are great on the pet.
    Gemming After some play testing, I have found that straight damage gems in weapon are the best we can socket. The one over time is good on bosses but not as good as the straight damage overall. As far as gemming your equipment so far it seems gemming elemental resistance is the best. The tougher we are the tougher our Forcefield is because it draws its reductions from us.
    In fast weapons I agree that +physical is better, but in slow 2handers, have you checked out the 18% attack speed gems?
    My weapon shows more dps but I lost damage! Being a strength based engineer, you want weapons that add raw physical damage as opposed to weapons that add elemental damage. You will see a much greater increase in damage this way.
    This is false because strength improves all elemental components of your weapon. However, each elemental component is mitigated separately, so you can have high armor enemies mitigating more damaage if the damage is split amongst many elements.

    There are accurate mechanics posts on this forum; if someone cares about mechanics I recommend reading them.
  • Baffy wrote:
    Sorry my friend that i need to critisize you again but...
    ...for **** sake...
    ...you spent milions of gold on strength enchants and then you give 117 res gems in you gear? Your forcefield overall dmg absorption isnt increased by amount of poison or electric resistance. Full FF talent with 5 charges give you about 60k+ absorption. Thats all. Or am i wrong?
    Anyway did you heard about 40 strenght gems?
    And last thing. On this forum you can found tons of guides, where you can learn, that if you are using strenght build, then your primar talent should by Flame Hammer which is taking great dmg benefits directly from strength. And for emberquake its focus. So...why you use EQ instead of FH. And dont tell me thats because FF need full charged bar to get full absorb and thats your personal choice. It takes minimal amount of time to get full charge bar with heavy lifting and charge **** procs. And FH isnt eating your whole charge bar.
    And when i saw this "Emberquake, Why this you ask? Because it is low costing" and "puts it on something we dont use much which is our mana" i was like OH MY ****!
    FH 15/15 mana cost 56
    EQ 15/15 mana cost 75
    You have 149! mana and you say that 75 is low costing? Now i understand why you prefer melee attack instead of spamming FH as other engineers. Its simple. You dont have enough mana to do anything else. One seismic, one onslught and one EQ and you are done. Waiting on bot to refill your mana.

    How Forcefield resists damage is directly tied to your resistances, another words it isn't just 60k absorption at lvl 100, it takes in account your armor, melee and elemental resistances too. At my gear level this could in total because of my resistances could absorb well into the 100k of damage range if not more depending obviously if the mob even cracks my resistance or armor off their damage. Honestly with good play aka not standing in stuff it is now, even on elite ng+++ for my shield to last its entire timer or close to it is pretty common.
    Because of this I do not spec str nor other gems, not saying you shouldn't but personally I do not believe it is best with this build. The way I have it now I can clear a boss by myself in seconds with 4 people in the zone, without flinching (accept dragon fire fire and a couple other things which you need to move out of).


    here is a video I made just for you about the mana concern
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvdH1S- ... e=youtu.be
    Baffy wrote:
    - Are the resistance gems that bad? This guy looks like he has a **** ton of resistances that can help for the time that FF goes down
    Hmm i wouldnt be so confident. This elemental resistances cant save you from physical hit from mob. Once FF is down on NG3+ elite you are walking dead man waiting on oneshot. He doesnt have even Bulwark to reduce dmg taken for the situations you described.
    In my opionion this build is one big fail. But this game is about to personalize your own gamestyle. Even its bad as **** you will find way to play it and you will enjoy it but call it guide its really unfairly. As i said in another topic of Jaden : he isnt using full potential of engineer.

    Force-field never has to be down, did you even watch my video? It is never down, if it is down you are playing bad simple as that. I do have a ton of armor as well and resistance but only to help my Forcefield last even longer.
    Yeah man, as much as some other people keep hating on this with "why would you "AUTO"-attack when you can use moves?" - playing 2H melee is awesome.

    I do 100k-200k "auto attacks" using a 2 hander mace makes it small aoe........... not many people can say this.And its super fun
    Yes focus is useless for melee but it's going to improve your Emberquake more than Strength will at your level of gear. I've posted a spreadsheet that allows you to find the exact break even point - not that that matters for you.
    Oh, and having more mana would be nice for you too.
    Yes I know EQ is more focused base, however the biggest gain for EQ is also crit (which someone who may be you broke the math down on EQ damage) since I have almost 50% crit and because of str 400+% to crit damage my EQ does a ton of damage, especially with Fire and Spark. Also EQ seems to path better to targets at least in my eyes and watching video it also seems to have a longer range which is nice.
    I have literally added the numbers up for each one, over and over and their damage is comparable as I edited to my OP. And because of that with EQ not needing a charge, seeking enemies better/further to me it is a better choice.
    Also here is a video about the mana situation,
    I can practically spam EQ every two melee hits, and if you read my post you would realize this is a melee oriented build so why would I?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvdH1S- ... e=youtu.be

    False. It's the other way. Flat reductions happen before % reductions, therefore flat reductions **** and % reductions rock.

    Why are you even bringing this up? I wasn't even talking about reductions..... I was talking about adding 10% of your weapon damage gems to your armor instead of resistances and not to do it....

    I think you misread my post.

    Just remember that your pet's minions don't benefit from your % minion gear, and pet cooldowns can be different than your cooldowns. For instance, skeletons have a 60s pet cooldown and an 8 second player cooldown. Zombies, skeleton archers, and blood zombies are great on the pet.

    Yes but you can put forcefield on all them to satay alive and draw agro off of you if you ever needed too (which while leveling seems more helpful then at my point int he game)
    In fast weapons I agree that +physical is better, but in slow 2handers, have you checked out the 18% attack speed gems?

    Yes I have but it only takes me a couple hits (literally normally just 1 or 2 maybe 3) to demolish anything other then lets say a boss. I guess I prefer using that extra 400 physical instead of having to hit one more time. Also my crits are massive and I like to play into that, the more raw damage I can spec the more massive my crit is. If you like the 18% haste go for it, but I think when I kill stuff so fast to begin with it is almost useless for most mobs to hit one more time faster and on bosses I hit so hard that I can kill a 4 player boss alone in a matter of seconds even on Elite in NG++ etcs
    On a static target I am sure that in a lot of cases the faster attack is great but on bosses or mobs where you are using Onslaught and even all your other abilities that draw power from your raw damage you lessen their power by not having that extra 400 damage socketed, so in theory and play fast is great but in this case you are diminishing the power of all your melee damage based abilities, which is a lot of what this build specs into/



    This is false because strength improves all elemental components of your weapon. However, each elemental component is mitigated separately, so you can have high armor enemies mitigating more damaage if the damage is split amongst many elements.
    There are accurate mechanics posts on this forum; if someone cares about mechanics I recommend reading them.

    You are proving my point, each elemental component is mitigated separately meaning this
    if you do 1000 damage physical or 1000 broken up over 4 elements which will do more being a strength based ? Obviously the 1000 physical will not to mention the best items end game for a str based melee engineer are pure physical
    [LINK DELETED]

    Your welcomed to bring your engineer into my game and we can play test together? Or make a video? Showing me I am wrong :P ?
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • I said during the times FF goes down. Yeah 90% of the time you can keep it up, but there are a few mobs I've encountered (like that dude with the electric glove / brass knuckle type of thing) that go through all 60k of FF in no time at all. I was saying that in that event, maybe the resistances can help a bit more, but I was more asking the question.
  • I said during the times FF goes down. Yeah 90% of the time you can keep it up, but there are a few mobs I've encountered (like that dude with the electric glove / brass knuckle type of thing) that go through all 60k of FF in no time at all. I was saying that in that event, maybe the resistances can help a bit more, but I was more asking the question.

    Oh sorry, I may be grumpy because I had back surgery yesterday and even with norco i hurt.... sorry man

    So honestly I really dont have a problem with FF going down, if you do, range them EQ slow then with onslaught and kite out away from them with Onslaught and SS. It takes about 3 or so hits for me to fill my charge bar or if you do less damage, do enough to get some FF up (even if it is like 2 charges) so you can focus and use that barrier to ready another more charged FF up, If you watch the very beginning of my video you will see me do this exact thing, start with nothing except 1 charge, hit mobs and kite to earn charges waited about 2 secs for FF CD as my summoning pet draws agro off me and then refreshed my FF with an almost full charge then I get back into the action with a bigger FF which will now allow me the time/barrier to get a fully charged FF up. So I can usually kite hits enough to always be able to have FF up.
    One thing, that a lot of people, seem to miss or not care about, is that resistances and armor directly effect your FF and how well it absorbs because it blocks damage after your mitigation.
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • Yes but you can put forcefield on all them to satay alive and draw agro off of you if you ever needed too (which while leveling seems more helpful then at my point int he game)
    No, forcefield doesn't affect skeletons. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this yet. Maybe you should look at your own video again.
    This is false because strength improves all elemental components of your weapon. However, each elemental component is mitigated separately, so you can have high armor enemies mitigating more damaage if the damage is split amongst many elements.
    There are accurate mechanics posts on this forum; if someone cares about mechanics I recommend reading them.
    You are proving my point, each elemental component is mitigated separately meaning this
    if you do 1000 damage physical or 1000 broken up over 4 elements which will do more being a strength based ? Obviously the 1000 physical will not to mention the best items end game for a str based melee engineer are pure physical
    [LINK DELETED]
    It has nothing to do with being a strength based build, which you said it did. It has everything to do with how enemy armor is applied. And, strength or not, in most cases you are still better off with the higher DPS weapon, especially with slower weapons which care less about enemy armor. Especially if the elements are fire and/or lightning since you're taking F&S.
    Your welcomed to bring your engineer into my game and we can play test together? Or make a video? Showing me I am wrong :P ?
    Sorry dude, I don't have time. I have already proved everything I've said with actual data. Yes I am the guy who solved Emberquake. I don't have to spend time proving it to you separately.

    I'm not trying to bash your build, try not to get defensive. I genuinely like the idea of 2 hand melee engineers. And you are a good player which is part of why your build is working. But considering how much time I've spent finding the actual mechanics of the game, it hurts to see incorrect data be posted. <3, ok?
  • No, forcefield doesn't affect skeletons. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this yet. Maybe you should look at your own video again.
    It effects Zombies but not skeletons and archers, I am not using them as a source of dps or tanking, I used them as agro distractions. Which during leveling was awesome, now I do so much damage they are kinda not needed but I like them !
    It has nothing to do with being a strength based build, which you said it did. It has everything to do with how enemy armor is applied. And, strength or not, in most cases you are still better off with the higher DPS weapon, especially with slower weapons which care less about enemy armor. Especially if the elements are fire and/or lightning since you're taking F&S.

    It does have to deal with strength though, easy way to break it down, if I have two weapons Weapon A) does 1000 physical damage and Weapon B) does 1000 damage broken up over 5 elements (1 physical and 4 ele)
    If I was Focus based Weapon B would be the better choice I am doing focus which adds to the damage from the elements. Of course all these are still mitigated individually.
    As a strength based character I am going to lose a TON of my power from this weapon the sole reason is because they are mitigated individually my 500% to crit damage which I have is massively mitigated. Hindering (imo) one of the best reasons to go Str based, with focus there is no massive hindrance like this.
    Weapon A) I would crit harder.
    It is because how enemy armor is applied it makes weapon A better choice for Strength based upon that crit damage, which strength gives us a nice bonus too.

    I'm not trying to bash your build, try not to get defensive. I genuinely like the idea of 2 hand melee engineers. And you are a good player which is part of why your build is working. But considering how much time I've spent finding the actual mechanics of the game, it hurts to see incorrect data be posted. <3, ok?

    Aside from maybe a few minor details I don't think there is incorrect data though. You yourself said EQ damage is Crit then fire in succession of what makes up the most of the damage. I have massive crit being 500% damage on crit due to str, I also have added up the damage from multiple EQ and FH strikes with the same gear, and the damage went back and forth. I am not disagreeing with you that if I was focus I would do more damage with EQ, what I am saying I guess is that with this build they are comparable. I don't know why but after literally adding it up over and over they are. In my personal opinion it seems to path longer and better to mobs and uses mana instead of a charge which is nice.
    IN my OP i say someone could use either but this is why I have chosen it.
    Also sorry if I come off defensive just had surgery and I am in a lot of pain, and ya but most importantly I post this guide to help people, and it isn't like I am failing with this build and it isn't like I haven't put thought, theory and numbers behind it before I posted it lol
    Anyways much <3!!
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • It does have to deal with strength though, easy way to break it down, if I have two weapons Weapon A) does 1000 physical damage and Weapon B) does 1000 damage broken up over 5 elements (1 physical and 4 ele)

    As a strength based character I am going to lose a TON of my power from this weapon the sole reason is because they are mitigated individually my 500% to crit damage which I have is massively mitigated. Hindering (imo) one of the best reasons to go Str based, with focus there is no massive hindrance like this.
    Weapon A) I would crit harder.
    It is because how enemy armor is applied it makes weapon A better choice for Strength based upon that crit damage, which strength gives us a nice bonus too.[/color]

    If you had Weapon C that did 1000 Fire damage, it would be equally good as your Weapon A, even in a pure strength setup. What matters is how many elements the weapon has, not what kind of element it is.
  • It does have to deal with strength though, easy way to break it down, if I have two weapons Weapon A) does 1000 physical damage and Weapon B) does 1000 damage broken up over 5 elements (1 physical and 4 ele)

    As a strength based character I am going to lose a TON of my power from this weapon the sole reason is because they are mitigated individually my 500% to crit damage which I have is massively mitigated. Hindering (imo) one of the best reasons to go Str based, with focus there is no massive hindrance like this.
    Weapon A) I would crit harder.
    It is because how enemy armor is applied it makes weapon A better choice for Strength based upon that crit damage, which strength gives us a nice bonus too.[/color]

    If you had Weapon C that did 1000 Fire damage, it would be equally good as your Weapon A, even in a pure strength setup. What matters is how many elements the weapon has, not what kind of element it is.

    Oh very very true, sadly though if you look at high end weapon there is no weapon (at least that I have seen) that scales like that, the best are pure physical for one type of damage, if you know of a fire one please let me know .. for obvious reasons of carnage <insert evil laugh>
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • I like the way this build looks and all, but I'm still new and bad and need some things spelled out for me.

    So, how did you get by leveling until you got to 42 to take EQ? Just melee hit everything for 40 levels?
  • I like the way this build looks and all, but I'm still new and bad and need some things spelled out for me.

    So, how did you get by leveling until you got to 42 to take EQ? Just melee hit everything for 40 levels?

    You can but you also have Onslaught and Siesmac Slam, this is melee oriented build, so melee-ing is where the focus will always be.
    Kicking **** here ---> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45250
  • tg2708tg2708 Posts: 136
    Just saw your video which was amazing and your strength attribute is very high which is very nice. How well do you fare in multiplayer with like 4 or so players on elite? I am rebuilding my engineer which is fairly similar to yours, only difference is im using flame hammer. But to be honest i have not used it all that much s its still at 1 point i mostly use onslaught and seismic slam. Im playing on normal by the way, reason being i cant stand how champions take so long to die early on in the game lol, it gets kind of boring. Also which are the best melee weapons to use because while some have high damage per second their blue or magic stat is fairly lackluster.
  • I said during the times FF goes down. Yeah 90% of the time you can keep it up, but there are a few mobs I've encountered (like that dude with the electric glove / brass knuckle type of thing) that go through all 60k of FF in no time at all. I was saying that in that event, maybe the resistances can help a bit more, but I was more asking the question.

    Oh sorry, I may be grumpy because I had back surgery yesterday and even with norco i hurt.... sorry man

    So honestly I really dont have a problem with FF going down, if you do, range them EQ slow then with onslaught and kite out away from them with Onslaught and SS. It takes about 3 or so hits for me to fill my charge bar or if you do less damage, do enough to get some FF up (even if it is like 2 charges) so you can focus and use that barrier to ready another more charged FF up, If you watch the very beginning of my video you will see me do this exact thing, start with nothing except 1 charge, hit mobs and kite to earn charges waited about 2 secs for FF CD as my summoning pet draws agro off me and then refreshed my FF with an almost full charge then I get back into the action with a bigger FF which will now allow me the time/barrier to get a fully charged FF up. So I can usually kite hits enough to always be able to have FF up.
    One thing, that a lot of people, seem to miss or not care about, is that resistances and armor directly effect your FF and how well it absorbs because it blocks damage after your mitigation.

    No problem - I was actually hypothesizing in your defence! Everything is incremental in mitigation, so if the guy with X% more res and Y% more phy armor can take even 1 more hit when FF goes down (compared to a guy with a lot less armor and resist), it's a benefit when you're playing this type of build.

    And yeah - it was also to ask about how armor and res affect FF while it's up. I don't know enough about that, so it's interesting to note.

    I'm rebuilding my 2H eng, so will let you know how it's panning out.
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.