[CONCEPT] Combo system?

SuperMandrewSuperMandrew Posts: 13
edited November 2012 in Design
Well, I figure this forum is for discussing concepts and ideas, so I guess I'll venture out...

An idea I'd like to create is first a new class "Martial Artist" or whatever, but make at least one of his skill trees use a "Combo" like system.

For instance, let's say we have four skills, named 1,2,3,4 - respectively. In order to use 2, you'd have to first use 1. To use 3, you'd have to use 2 (which requires 1). etc...

But it could be cool if you did things that had two skills at the tier1 level, two at tier2, and so on. So you could use 1A into 2B, or maybe even 1A, 2A, 2B if possible.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    well you can use the engineer charge bar with this idea.. somethign I have been toying with a design on myself.

make it so the character doesn't gain charge for anything except skills that actually use charge.

you could either make the ability only usable in a specific time frame, and have it grant charge for being used, and having a second skill require a charge to be used, and itself granting 2 charges while using the first one.. then a third using those 2 charges as a finisher move.

that would be a basic way to make it work, just basic supply and demand.. but I am hoping we can have more possible restrictions like 'debuff must be present on an enemy for skill to take effect' stuff like that then your first skill could just imprint a debuff on the target (even if its not visible) and have a need for that before it triggers...
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • If you have a straight, linear combo system, it'd probably work better to have a single skill that changes when used in succession (like D3 monk's primaries). I'm sure it would be possible for each attack to add a short-duration buff that the skill itself reads to activate the appropriate attack. (Embermage's elemental brands have to read status from targets)

Otherwise if you want to use different skills it would make sense to mix and match your skills like uh... the Street Justice and Dual Blades in City of Heroes.
    Street Justice has a number of combo attacks that each add a stacking buff (upto 3), then each finisher skill gains increased damage and effects relative to the number of buffs accumulated. The longer the combo the stronger the finisher!
    Whereas Dual Blades adds extra effects to finishers depending on the specific order of skills used, so 1-2-4 is different to 1-3-4. They're usually debuffs of some kind, so you can add many different effects.
    I personally like the 'universal' combo buff and powered-up finishers.

Short of that, use the charge bar!! Combo builders could increase charge rapidly, finishers use full charge and drain to do massive damage! Or have it build slower so you can have a long combo and ULTRA finisher..
  • If you have a straight, linear combo system, it'd probably work better to have a single skill that changes when used in succession (like D3 monk's primaries). I'm sure it would be possible for each attack to add a short-duration buff that the skill itself reads to activate the appropriate attack. (Embermage's elemental brands have to read status from targets)

Otherwise if you want to use different skills it would make sense to mix and match your skills like uh... the Street Justice and Dual Blades in City of Heroes.
    Street Justice has a number of combo attacks that each add a stacking buff (upto 3), then each finisher skill gains increased damage and effects relative to the number of buffs accumulated. The longer the combo the stronger the finisher!
    Whereas Dual Blades adds extra effects to finishers depending on the specific order of skills used, so 1-2-4 is different to 1-3-4. They're usually debuffs of some kind, so you can add many different effects.
    I personally like the 'universal' combo buff and powered-up finishers.

Short of that, use the charge bar!! Combo builders could increase charge rapidly, finishers use full charge and drain to do massive damage! Or have it build slower so you can have a long combo and ULTRA finisher..

I love City of Heroes! Man, I've played that game for way too long (before the first issue update even, haha), but I never did get the Street Justice powerset.

I guess a good way to think about this concept would be to think of maybe a Final Fantasy 8 Zell limit break? You use attacks, and when chained in a certain order and the time is low, you execute a super move.

The Street Justice powerset also sounds like what I want... perhaps having all the skills add to the charge bar, and having the ones before the finisher require a debuff placed on the enemy (or a short buff placed on the player so you can fight through multiple enemies, not a single target), and then the finisher using up the entire charge bar!
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    The Street Justice powerset also sounds like what I want... perhaps having all the skills add to the charge bar, and having the ones before the finisher require a debuff placed on the enemy (or a short buff placed on the player so you can fight through multiple enemies, not a single target), and then the finisher using up the entire charge bar!

and not only using it up, but requiring it to be full
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • Salan wrote:
    and not only using it up, but requiring it to be full

Correct. Sorry, I thought implied that :)