[Character Mod] Making own character

docterj208docterj208 Posts: 35
edited November 2012 in Design
Hi all,

I'm new to modding and don't really too much about it but I would really like to be involved. I do have a computer science degree so I know the basics of programming, but I have never done file modifications like this.

If I wanted to build my own character class, I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to rework existing skills and modify their abilities if desired?
1a) If no, can some one explain to me why? (Code restricted/no modding tools provided?)
1b) If yes, what would I need to get started?

2) Is this considered "illegal" or would using my own character class make it so I couldn't play with friends?

3) If there is any forum topic/post I am missing which could start showing me the ropes, it would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction :)

Comments

• Hey there.

1. Yep, it's possible.
    1b. I haven't had much experience with touching the files in Torchlight 2 yet, but the Runic Games Fansite has a couple of tutorials I believe. Maybe try checking over there?
    2. You would not be able to play with your friends unless they had the mod installed as well.
    3. I'm not sure if there's a Beginner's Guide or anything yet.

You could also wait for GUTS, which will essentially be a GUI for modding the files in Torchlight 2. Whichever you prefer!

EDIT: Try looking here: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=33341

This post should help some. :)